Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So the overall consequences of all this are simply going to be that Dick going into the House of Lords and Sue Gray resigning in disgust, right? Oh, and of course CON (+5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
That's... pretty drat sneaky! No they can respond to any further questions with: "It would be inappropriate to comment while a police investigation is ongoing etc...." and when the whole thing gets dropped in a year, it's old news by then!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I fail to see how the outcome of an independent review could possibly prejudice a police investigation at this stage. If anything it would be incredibly useful to the met to see what she's found.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

Honestly have to say even following this thread I have completely lost track of all the investigations and reports going on around this. Which of course is, if not deliberately the point, at least a happy little accident for all involved.

If the investigation is going to take a year then it’ll be an amusing thing to come back to amidst the unknown horrors of 2023 when Boris will presumably be long gone. “Remember the hysteria in 2022 over the party they had in 2020? If only the insectoid slavers had shown up a bit earlier!”

Failed Imagineer posted:

Will these be different insectoid slavers from the ones in Buckingham Palace then?

TACD posted:

um, those are reptilian slavers, how embarrassing for you

You're both wrong. It's going to be octupuses (octopodes, octopii).
I watched Ancient Aliens last night so I know it's true.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I mean, what's even the loving point of the reports and investigations here?

Say they come out saying that the lockdown rules and laws and whatever the gently caress were categorically broken.

Johnson pays a small fine and that's it, right? He's not going to go to loving jail over a a party.

It's all just theatre to keep it in the news.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shyrka posted:

Say they come out saying that the lockdown rules and laws and whatever the gently caress were categorically broken.

Johnson pays a small fine and that's it, right? He's not going to go to loving jail over a a party.

I guarantee it'll be some aide and whichever poor sod bought the cake that gets stuck with the fines.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also pretty cheeky to refuse to answer questions in Parliament, who I rather think have precedence over the police.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Shyrka posted:

Getting fined for it would be another nail in Johnson's political coffin tbf

That's not the point of all of this though, in respect of which I refer you to that long grass over there *points forward in time several years*

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Also pretty cheeky to refuse to answer questions in Parliament, who I rather think have precedence over the police.

If I were an mp I would simply refer to Boris as the 'The Prime Minister (who is under criminal investigation)" at every opportunity.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

"the Prime Minister (who has been sacked from several previous jobs for lying)" could have gotten some mileage

Does that fly with the speakers, idk

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1485990630610329615
Sounds like they're all just winging it, tbh.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is literally the stupidest thing that's ever happened in uk politics tbqh

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Convex posted:

Only since the last thing that's happened in UK politics.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I mean, is anyone really surprised anymore? The corruption and crookery runs deep through the government, the police, the media etc. At this point anyone who expects the outcome of this whole thing to be justice served absolutely needs their head checked.

There's only one way things are going to actually change in this country and it'll never happen because Britain is a nation of cuckolded forelock-tuggers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
See how well the "it was only for ten minutes" defence works when you break into the grounds of Buckingham Palace with a crossbow.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Convex posted:

i'm sure something stupider will happen tomorrow to top it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did a big hmm today driving past the catholic school with its big ONE FAITH, ONE FAMILY, ONE FUTURE sign.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Convex posted:

Remember when we voted for Brexit?

Remember when the Liberals voluntarily gave up their manifesto pledge to drop tuition fees to show their dedication to the coalition (also because David Laws has dogshit politics even by Liberal standards) when the Tories weren't going to bring it up because they assumed it'd be a red line, leading to the electoral destruction of their miserable little party?

Remember the expenses scandal and specifically the duck moat?

It's stupid but let us be fair, British politics is idiocy all the way down.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Did a big hmm today driving past the catholic school with its big ONE FAITH, ONE FAMILY, ONE FUTURE sign.

Kinder, Küche, Kirche?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cakes?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

Kinder, Küche, Kirche?

The surprisingly more Nazi version of KKK than the actual KKK.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

It could be read as Boris desperately trying to cover his rear end and the Met going "Naaaah."
As people said, its not like this is ever going to court, so its not going to prejudice any future jury.

I love the idea of Boris saying one thing any getting ignored. Its also amazing that "PM under criminal investigation" is considered the GOOD option for the PM!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kids, church & cooking, the role of women in society according to, possibly either Kaiser Wilhelm or his missus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can understand that if I was married to willie as it would at least mean I had as little as possible to do with him while he was fondling boats or whatever he did for fun.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Prole posted:

I mean, is anyone really surprised anymore? The corruption and crookery runs deep through the government, the police, the media etc. At this point anyone who expects the outcome of this whole thing to be justice served absolutely needs their head checked.

There's only one way things are going to actually change in this country and it'll never happen because Britain is a nation of cuckolded forelock-tuggers.

I don't know if your characterisation of Britain is correct. The Brits, and English in particular, have been bred to be averse to 'fuss'. I'm n9 shrinking violet, but even last night, out to dinner both meals were cold, so I sent them back. Then apologised. For their error. It's no accident our national 5reasures are people like Victoria Wood and Alan Bennett.

We have centuries of being under the lash to cast off, but most are happier with the status quo, because they know no different.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
We are also a nation of curtain twitchers though. Sneering at anyone who's different or worse off.

Fittingly, this ended up in my feed:

https://twitter.com/horatiothegould/status/1485576824063250438?s=24

I'm sure half of have legitimately been on Channel 4 or Channel 5

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Happy Burns Night, folks. I hope you've all got your haggises and drams ready to celebrate our beloved bard, fondly remembered for such noble poems and songs as this.

quote:

CUMNOCK PSALMS
As I leuked ower yon castle wa’,
I spied a grey goose & a gled;
They haed a fecht between them twa,
An O, as their twa hurdies gade.--

Chorus:
Wi a hey ding it in, & a how ding it in,
An hey ding it in, it’s lang to day:
Tal laretal, tallarietal Tal larietal, tal larie tay.

She strack up & he strack doun.
Between them twa they made a mowe,
An ilka fart that the carlin gae,
It’s fower o them wad fill a bowe.

Wi a hey ding it in &c.

Temper your tail, Carlin, he cried,
Temper your tail by Venus’ law;
Dooble your dunts, the dame replied,
Wha the deil can hinder the wind to blaw!

Wi a hey ding it in &c.

For were ye in my saidle set,
An were ye weel girt in my gear,
If the wind o my erse blaw you oot o my oval office,
Ye’lI never be reckoned a man o weir.--

Wi a hey ding it in &c.

He placed his Jacob whare she did piss,
An his ballocks whare the wind did blaw,
An he grippet her fast by the goosset o the erse
An he gae her oval office the common law.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

All 5his balls about Johnson not taking questions, especially in Parliament, should at last tell Keith to strike, and strike hard. But he won't.

Incase it sounded like I was apologising or excusing this benighted Isle ( Yes, guava, twisto, I know we are an archipelago ), I wasn't. This country is hateful, spiteful, inequal, and responsible for more than its share of humanitarian outrages. Hope thats clearer.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

That's disconcertingly familiar and unpleasant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

ONE FAITH, ONE FAMILY, TWO DBS CHECKED ADULTS IN THE ROOM AT ALL TIMES

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

No, that's CoE, we had actual wars for the right to make Victoria Sponge and homemade marmalade part of the Sacrament.

(It's been a while since my RE and History lessons at school but I'm fairly sure that's right)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

feedmegin posted:

We are not the States, though, thank god. I mean they have black sites in e.g. Chicago where they literally kidnap and torture black people. Not to say our cops are, like, nice, but I would be wary of looking at the US and saying ours are exactly as bad.
It takes some real balls to says this the week of the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1486007314008182788

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It takes some real balls to says this the week of the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

...which did not involve cops, and also happened half a century ago. Not saying Britain hasn't done all sorts of awful hosed up poo poo but I'm not sure you can use that as the yardstick for the Met in 2022.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1486020526497665025

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1486030126139723785

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 25, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Remember that time the Met tortured some Irish people and made them make false confessions to the Guilford pub bombings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

...which did not involve cops, and also happened half a century ago. Not saying Britain hasn't done all sorts of awful hosed up poo poo but I'm not sure you can use that as the yardstick for the Met in 2022.
Reminds me of when I watched Cry Freedom again a couple years ago. The ending is supposed to be a shocking indictment of how bad apartheid South Africa was (and it was)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZdKreXodNQ
but I also found myself thinking "I bet the US police have had more Black men die in suspicious circumstances in custody last year alone than that whole list" (and they did)

It takes a lot of effort to be worse than American policing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

You say that as if 50 years was long enough to forget about it. lol

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

"It could be worse" is a UK mantra. It's taken as everything from an excuse to a threat to a defence to a prediction depending on your political persuasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Getting fined for it would be another nail in Johnson's political coffin tbf
At this point his political coffin looks like something from hellraiser.

"Surely Boris will do the decent thing this time and release the report" is a wild take, wilder still from the man with the most inspected wallet in politics.

jiggerypokery posted:

"It could be worse" is a UK mantra.
I prefer the trashfuture version, "It's poo poo, it's supposed to be poo poo, and if you don't like it you can gently caress off."