Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
It's nothing personal. It was just a very stupid question.

Biden did go to law school after all. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder if we'll see a slight bump in the polls from Biden calling him a stupid son of a bitch.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Glenn Youngkin said they likely won't pursue an anti-CRT law in his first year because they have other priorities.

Instead, they are setting up a website and phone line where parents can snitch on teachers for anything they want - including teaching "divisive" subjects, making kids wear masks, or appearing to take a side on "historical, political, or cultural" issues.

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1485981373844307972

quote:

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin on Monday invoked the biblical call to “love your neighbor” as school systems around the state struggled with strong reactions to his ban on local mask mandates, but the Republican also fanned the flames of partisan division in the face of court challenges and protests.

School districts resisting his ban “aren’t recognizing the rights of parents today,” Youngkin told conservative radio host John Fredericks. “And oh, by the way, they haven’t been recognizing the rights of parents all along. So I’m not surprised at all to hear these reactions from school boards that have consistently prioritized bureaucrats and politicians over the rights of parents.”

His comments dismissed the concerns of some of the biggest school systems in the state, a group of which have challenged Youngkin’s ban before the Supreme Court of Virginia. Those localities — including the counties of Fairfax and Prince William and the city of Richmond — argue that a state law requiring them to follow federal guidelines to fight the coronavirus makes it necessary to require face coverings in crowded schools.

With feelings running high across Virginia, Youngkin asked parents for calm after a woman in Page County was arrested and charged with making a threat against school officials there if they persisted in requiring masks.

But Youngkin, who took office promising to govern “for all Virginians,” has otherwise struck an increasingly partisan tone. Public sentiment toward mask mandates is “moving against the left liberals,” he said Monday to Fredericks, who was Donald Trump’s Virginia presidential campaign chairman in 2016 and 2020.

In the interview, Youngkin also touted a tip line for parents to report to the state any school officials they find to be behaving objectionably — including teaching “divisive” subjects. Youngkin has issued an executive order and is backing legislation that seeks to ban concepts such as critical race theory, an academic construct about the history of systemic racism.

“We’re asking for folks to send us reports and observations,” Youngkin said, “help us be aware of … their child being denied their rights that parents have in Virginia, and we’re going to make sure we catalogue it all. … And that gives us further, further ability to make sure we’re rooting it out.”

Youngkin told Fredericks that 25 of Virginia’s 130 school districts have challenged his ban on mask mandates. According to a Washington Post tally, though, 58 of the state’s districts have either filed suit or pledged to keep a mask mandate in place. Youngkin’s office conceded that its figure, based on news reports and not a survey of all districts, was probably low.

Youngkin urged parents who oppose masks to have patience while the legal battle plays out. “What I’m telling parents today is, ‘Trust the legal process. … Love your neighbor,' ” he told Fredericks. “This is one of these moments where I know people might want to do some things that make a strong statement.”

Del. Schuyler VanValkenburg (D-Henrico), a schoolteacher in a Richmond-area district that is bucking the governor’s mask-optional order, said Youngkin was trying “trying to have his cake and eat it too” by urging calm while still stoking opposition to masks.

“Principals are already teaching classes because so many teachers and staff are absent because they are sick, and now they can’t do that because they’re spending their entire day on phone calls dealing with conflicts the governor initiated,” VanValkenburg said.

In an interview Monday with conservative host Hugh Hewitt, Youngkin said that he has been consulting with other Republican governors as he gets his administration underway. Hewitt mentioned Ron DeSantis of Florida and Mike DeWine of Ohio, and while Youngkin did not specifically confirm each, he said that “it’s been a great support network. And what we’re seeing, of course, is states led by Republicans outperforming states who are led by Democrats.”

It was unclear what Youngkin meant by that comment, which came at the end of a discussion about mask mandates. If he was referring to masks, the data do not seem to back him up.

Virginia under Democratic former governor Ralph Northam has performed well against both states in coronavirus case numbers and deaths. On Monday, the seven-day average of new cases in Virginia was 985; it was 1,424 in Florida, while Ohio’s number was slightly lower, at 960. Both Florida and Ohio have seven-day averages of deaths per 100,000 higher than Virginia’s; Ohio had 13 per 100,000, Florida had 6.1 and Virginia had 2.2.

Youngkin’s office declined to make him available for a follow-up interview.

Youngkin’s recent position on masks takes a harder line than he did shortly before and after November’s election, when he said he would leave it up to localities whether to impose mask mandates. Some Trump supporters were unhappy with that position — including Fredericks, who now says he is pleasantly surprised by Youngkin’s firmer stance.

“He’s Trump in a red vest,” Fredericks said in an interview with The Post after he had Youngkin on the air, referring to the governor’s ever-present fleece vest while on the campaign trail. “It’s exceeded everybody’s expectations. … From the beginning of his campaign to the Saturday he put his hand on the Bible and took the oath of office, I was his biggest skeptic. And now, two weeks into his administration, I’m his biggest supporter.”

Fredericks credits Youngkin’s new stance to a post-election backlash from Trump voters, who had turned out in record numbers in rural areas to give Youngkin his two-point victory.

“He got blasted by the whole Trump-ecosystem base,” Fredericks said. “If he wants to run for something else or keep his coalition together, you simply can’t alienate us.”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Huh, yeah, setting up government systems to systematize citizens snitching on each other for wrongthink. Gee I wonder where I've heard that before and what it was used for.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Congratulations to Glenn Youngkin for absolutely destroying the Virginia education system I guess

It's not like teachers were already leaving in droves in most of the country; Youngkin just put in an express lane for teacher exits

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As soon as that line goes up it will be spammed into oblivion

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if we'll see a slight bump in the polls from Biden calling him a stupid son of a bitch.

And then yet another bump from his calling Doocy & apologizing!

(I doubt that an inside-the-beltway remark for which Biden apologized almost immediately after making will outweigh voter sentiment about mad inflation & virus effects, but I admire your optimism!)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Speaking of polling, it doesn't look like Biden's presser last week has moved the needle in his direction at all, although it could be too early to tell!

And oh, the irony of Fox News' polling giving Biden his least-bad numbers. :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

As soon as that line goes up it will be spammed into oblivion

Yeah it's going to get trolled so hard they won't even be able to find the theoretically actionable complaints

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's going to get trolled so hard they won't even be able to find the theoretically actionable complaints

The point of these actions are to demonstrate to the base that the party is doing “something” and to keep them energized. It will also allow for a few choice sound bytes to justify their legislation efforts.

Dems could do something similar but then they’d have to provide the illusion that they are doing things and may be able to accomplish something and they would much rather demonstrate they won’t do poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've been hearing a lot of Chicken hawking about a war with Russia, can I get a realistic estimate on whether that's actually going to happen?

It seems like a dumb and terrible idea to me, but then so did the war in Afghanistan and that still happened.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Almost certainly not, but people are loving morons so it's never going to be 0%. Learn to live with the uncertainty.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've been hearing a lot of Chicken hawking about a war with Russia, can I get a realistic estimate on whether that's actually going to happen?

It seems like a dumb and terrible idea to me, but then so did the war in Afghanistan and that still happened.

It's not.

The U.S. has already pre-emptively vowed not to use military force if Russia invades Ukraine (even more than they currently have). Russia doesn't want it, the U.S. doesn't want it, and NATO/Europe doesn't want it.

Russia wants to show strength and take possession of the countries around it's border without provoking actual consequences. Everyone else wants to stop them without resorting to actual consequences.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Every opinion I've been hearing about this is that going to war with Russia is A Very Bad Idea TM. It's basically two dying nations yelling at each other to prove who isn't dying faster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t see a scenario where US forces get directly involved. However, that is different from the likelihood of an actual Russian invasion of Ukraine. It’s still not super likely to happen, but if Putin backs down after all of the demands, threats, and troop movements, he’s going to get laughed at

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not.

The U.S. has already pre-emptively vowed not to use military force if Russia invades Ukraine (even more than they currently have). Russia doesn't want it, the U.S. doesn't want it, and NATO/Europe doesn't want it.

Russia wants to show strength and take possession of the countries around it's border without provoking actual consequences. Everyone else wants to stop them without resorting to actual consequences.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Every opinion I've been hearing about this is that going to war with Russia is A Very Bad Idea TM. It's basically two dying nations yelling at each other to prove who isn't dying faster.

I figured as much, just wanted to check in with reality because I have been hearing some crazy takes.

Mulva posted:

Almost certainly not, but people are loving morons so it's never going to be 0%. Learn to live with the uncertainty.

Not a fan of the uncertainty, honestly. It feel like a lot of people are very eager to press the big red "gently caress everything up" button, but that could just be the anxiety talking.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t see a scenario where US forces get directly involved. However, that is different from the likelihood of an actual Russian invasion of Ukraine. It’s still not super likely to happen, but if Putin backs down after all of the demands, threats, and troop movements, he’s going to get laughed at

If he gets some kind of half-assed commitment that Ukraine doesn't become a NATO member, I think he could spin that into a win.

I don't know why we want Ukraine as a NATO member, but I also understand why a lot of Ukrainians would like some barriers against being (more of?) a Russian puppet state too.

Not a fan of the uncertainty, honestly. It feel like a lot of people are very eager to press the big red "gently caress everything up" button, but that could just be the anxiety talking.

I think anyone really trying to be a warhawk in this situation doesn't believe actual fighting between NATO and Russian troops will occur. Proxy fighting would be just as horrible, but I guess you at least have some reason not to escalate.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed, but I feel like he's in for a bad time if he invades Ukraine. Europe isn't going to just shrug their shoulders, will they?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Meatball posted:

Agreed, but I feel like he's in for a bad time if he invades Ukraine. Europe isn't going to just shrug their shoulders, will they?

I've been curious about this. Doesn't Russia have the EU over a barrel due to the EU's need for oil and natural gas?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's not.

Well if there's anything the international community at large can trust, it's a no-crossies-no-backsies-cross-my-heart promise from the US government.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

If he gets some kind of half-assed commitment that Ukraine doesn't become a NATO member, I think he could spin that into a win.

I don't know why we want Ukraine as a NATO member, but I also understand why a lot of Ukrainians would like some barriers against being (more of?) a Russian puppet state too.

I think anyone really trying to be a warhawk in this situation doesn't believe actual fighting between NATO and Russian troops will occur. Proxy fighting would be just as horrible, but I guess you at least have some reason not to escalate.

Not sure why NATO exists anymore except as a slush fund for arms dealers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

I've been curious about this. Doesn't Russia have the EU over a barrel due to the EU's need for oil and natural gas?

For the most part, yes. There are other sources, but Russia is largely the cheapest. That was the whole issue with Germany building out Nordstream 2 is it largely puts Germany and the EU in a hard spot if Russia decides to use it as leverage.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

selec posted:

Not sure why NATO exists anymore except as a slush fund for arms dealers.

Encouraging stability through US/Western European military cooperation and interdependence and countering Russian attempts to expand their influence beyond their traditional areas...

But I agree that arms dealing enrichment is probably the main real reason at this point.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
In today's edition of "Entitled old white lawmakers afraid of confronting change because it might make them feel icky," the Florida GOP has advanced a bill banning schools from "encouraging" talk of sexual orientation or identity.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/24/politics/florida-bill-lgbtq-school-discussions/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN)Florida state lawmakers advanced a bill last week that would prohibit some schools from "encouraging" conversations about sexual orientation and gender identity in classrooms with young students.
HB 1557, titled the Parental Rights in Education bill, was passed by the state House's GOP-controlled Education and Employment Committee on Thursday by a vote of 15-5.
Though the bill's sponsor says the legislation aims to provide parents with greater oversight over what their students learn and discuss at school, opponents have said it will have a harmful impact on LGBTQ youth, whom they say are at an increased risk for suicide when they are not able to learn about LGBTQ-related topics while in school.

The proposed legislation comes as policymakers around the country are engaged in spirited debates over parental rights and which social issues are taught in the classroom, with LGBTQ-related topics a major target for conservatives who say conversations around those subjects should be left for families to discuss at home.

The legislation would make it illegal for districts to "adopt procedures or student support forms that prohibit school district personnel from notifying a parent about his or her student's mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being," something LGBTQ advocates argue could lead to some students being unintentionally outed to their parents.

In addition, "A school district may not encourage classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in primary grade levels or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students," according to the proposal, which would also allow parents to bring civil suits against a school district for any potential violation of its rules.

The GOP are trying to spin it that they are only trying to protect elementary level children, since they wouldn't know anything about gender identity and sexual orientation.

Same article posted:

"We're talking specifically about young, elementary-age children that just don't need that stress in general," Harding added. "Allow things to come up organically, but don't force conversations on them."

See? This is only to protect our sweet innocent children from learning about the possibility of being gay. This surely won't be used later to encroach upon older children or teenagers. They just want to help.

Colloquially, this bill is being called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Velocity Raptor posted:

In today's edition of "Entitled old white lawmakers afraid of confronting change because it might make them feel icky," the Florida GOP has advanced a bill banning schools from "encouraging" talk of sexual orientation or identity.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/24/politics/florida-bill-lgbtq-school-discussions/index.html

The GOP are trying to spin it that they are only trying to protect elementary level children, since they wouldn't know anything about gender identity and sexual orientation.

See? This is only to protect our sweet innocent children from learning about the possibility of being gay. This surely won't be used later to encroach upon older children or teenagers. They just want to help.

Colloquially, this bill is being called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

I posted this yesterday, critical to note this is being proposed alongside a mandatory reporting bill requiring teachers to out LGBT kids to their parents.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

CommieGIR posted:

I posted this yesterday, critical to note this is being proposed alongside a mandatory reporting bill requiring teachers to out LGBT kids to their parents.

This sounds dangerously close to bringing about thoughtcrime. Don't talk about being gay, don't think about being gay, don't appear to be gay, or there will be consequences.

I'm surprised we aren't seeing riots over these new regressive bills that are getting passed in red states. This is getting double-plus ungood.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Every fox news questions deserves a smug lovely response, and every fox news reporter's question should be hand-waved away. In fact they shouldn't be permitted in that room because they're not reporters. And the same goes for every right wing propaganda rag that somehow gets access to the President.

Seems like the Biden administration disagrees, as White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki had given an interview to Fox News on 20 Jan 2022.

quote:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6292737699001#sp=show-clips

https://www.foxnews.com/media/hemmer-perino-psaki-covid-restrictions-crime-masks-biden

White House press secretary Jen Psaki in an interview with Fox News sought to clarify President Joe Biden's remarks about the legitimacy of the 2022 midterm elections at a press conference on Wednesday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Velocity Raptor posted:

This sounds dangerously close to bringing about thoughtcrime. Don't talk about being gay, don't think about being gay, don't appear to be gay, or there will be consequences.

I'm surprised we aren't seeing riots over these new regressive bills that are getting passed in red states. This is getting double-plus ungood.

I mean this is Florida, the state that has at least a few city Police Departments doing 'interventions' against kids based on racist algorithms.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/07/17/1005396/predictive-policing-algorithms-racist-dismantled-machine-learning-bias-criminal-justice/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I blame Hillary. Her Gillum endorsement really got the Florida chuds out against him in force

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Encouraging stability through US/Western European military cooperation and interdependence and countering Russian attempts to expand their influence beyond their traditional areas...

But I agree that arms dealing enrichment is probably the main real reason at this point.

Pretty rich on that countering Russian attempts to expand their influence when this whole shebang is literally on the other side of the world from us. But great powers gonna great power I guess.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

selec posted:

Pretty rich on that countering Russian attempts to expand their influence when this whole shebang is literally on the other side of the world from us. But great powers gonna great power I guess.

This is sort of like how the US lost its poo poo over missiles in Cuba and JFK didn't even know at first that the US had missiles in Turkey at the time.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Cantonese posted:

NATO spends a pretty small amount of money (it's around 2 billion split by 30 countries) and most of it just goes to paying people to work for NATO full-time, so that NATO has an independent command structure and real estate to fund bases and feed/house/clothe people.

Basically every country underpays their dues as well. It's not a great racket for arms dealing. It is a very good racket for the brass who get sent to command and basically just do drills without a lot of required traveling. As long as you are okay with a decent paying, but boring assignment and lots of paperwork.

Also, the countries that get reimbursed for providing the bases and provide small amounts of funding make out okay.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

I blame Hillary. Her Gillum endorsement really got the Florida chuds out against him in force

Also the sham SBI investigation into him getting tickets to Hamilton.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

For the most part, yes. There are other sources, but Russia is largely the cheapest. That was the whole issue with Germany building out Nordstream 2 is it largely puts Germany and the EU in a hard spot if Russia decides to use it as leverage.
This runs the other way as well.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Also the sham SBI investigation into him getting tickets to Hamilton.

Lmao I totally forgot the Shitlibs The Musical thing, lmao

He's still the only dem I'll ever consider voting for again, just on the premise that a bisexual meth addict alcoholic is closer to the working class than any other suit the dems could present.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is sort of like how the US lost its poo poo over missiles in Cuba and JFK didn't even know at first that the US had missiles in Turkey at the time.

This is a minor point but JFK thought the missiles had been removed, not that they existed.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Honestly, setting up a complaint line where people can call in and rant about whatever cultural issue made them mad that day, with the implication that someone will actually listen to it; whereas in reality, the messages don't even get recorded and it's just a Manager-complaining busybox is kind of a great idea.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lib and let die posted:

Lmao I totally forgot the Shitlibs The Musical thing, lmao

He's still the only dem I'll ever consider voting for again, just on the premise that a bisexual meth addict alcoholic is closer to the working class than any other suit the dems could present.

Hey man, he's not a meth addict. He said he just does meth socially at parties and that he wasn't even doing meth that night; he just got too drunk and was watching other people do meth.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hey man, he's not a meth addict. He said he just does meth socially at parties and that he wasn't even doing meth that night; he just got too drunk and was watching other people do meth.

Endorsement rescinded, then.

forbidden dialectics posted:

Honestly, setting up a complaint line where people can call in and rant about whatever cultural issue made them mad that day, with the implication that someone will actually listen to it; whereas in reality, the messages don't even get recorded and it's just a Manager-complaining busybox is kind of a great idea.

I spent 10 years supporting enterprise voice infrastructure/equipment - this is exceedingly common. Some of the more frequent "issues" we'd resolve with messaging systems was some sort of storage issue due to a/many full inbox(es) and the customer would say "oh yeah that's just a dumping ground"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Powerful Hunter “accidentally smoked a cocaine laced cigarette” biden energy.