Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

Book report: I read the Left Hand of Darkness. I liked it ok, but it was sort of a hard read because Estraven didn't really compel me and the back half was kinda bleak. Very interesting setting, interesting take on gender though it's a bit crude compared to modern gender theory. I liked the Dispossessed a lot more though. Looking forward to more Le Guin in the future

The Lathe Of Heaven is pretty cool, doesn't really touch on anything heavy like gender or political systems but it's good

Nine Inch Nails' With Teeth was almost a concept album about it called Bleedthrough but the idea fell through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Fool posted:

I have bad news

I know. I meant my future :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have bad news about that too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sweevo posted:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is better than most people give it credit for

i meant its not good, but compared to every single Roger Moore Bond film its a loving masterpiece

idk, by the standards of bond movies, it's one of the better ones.

the roger moore bond films almost feel like their own thing with how goofy they got. like, moonraker was incredible, it was pure camp and tons of fun. i wouldn't say it was a good bond movie, but i still like it a lot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
the best Bond movie is the music that played when you paused Goldeneye on N64

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK0AqKJsGcA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
lol it’s so good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

watched time to die on nye with plenty of drinks and chat, and in that setting at least it was good. would probably work well on an airplane too. which is probably roughly the right pitch for that franchise anyway.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
last episode of righteous gemstones was hilarious and there's a new one tonight I think

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's hilarious every time john goodman talks about the bodybuilder guys

"time to grow up and stop playin with your muscular boys"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i hope this season ends with john goodman having to take on the entire god squad

titus is either gonna start working with jr or end up getting killed by jr

or possibly both

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rofl the magnifying glass

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
john goodman is lookin good and his acting is so good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they've got magnetic rose up on youtube for a bit, if you're looking for sci-fi cartoons created and directed by that weirdo who made akira

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

they've got magnetic rose up on youtube for a bit, if you're looking for sci-fi cartoons created and directed by that weirdo who made akira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndRjyEWKKVU

absolutely watch this, it's by satoshi kon and cyberpunk as gently caress. in the old 80s original sense of cyberpunk. it's very neuromancer tessier-ashpool poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm going to watch it again right now because I've never seen it in HD

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
neat

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just finished Tehanu.

It's very good, for the most part. Very confronting, very challenging, but very good.

I'm less sure about the ending. It certainly breaks with fantastic tradition. And it makes a pretty grim statement applicable to modern society - that the abusers of petty power are only ever taken to account when a greater power takes interest in sticking up for the people they abuse. I suppose it is consistent with the rest of the book, in that regard. It's not the only time that motif appears.

I can see why a lot of people who started the series as children, who always saw the world of Earthsea as a fantasy adventure, would have been put off. But you also need to understand the world to understand Tehanu, it doesn't really stand on its own. A fantastic book for a very specific audience.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd2LThO0PcQ

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

just finished Tehanu.

It's very good, for the most part. Very confronting, very challenging, but very good.

I'm less sure about the ending. It certainly breaks with fantastic tradition. And it makes a pretty grim statement applicable to modern society - that the abusers of petty power are only ever taken to account when a greater power takes interest in sticking up for the people they abuse. I suppose it is consistent with the rest of the book, in that regard. It's not the only time that motif appears.

I can see why a lot of people who started the series as children, who always saw the world of Earthsea as a fantasy adventure, would have been put off. But you also need to understand the world to understand Tehanu, it doesn't really stand on its own. A fantastic book for a very specific audience.

I feel like there's a lot of showing of things which can't be put into words, like how she feels about existing in the world in a certain way as opposed to doing dramatic things. Ged being a useless and most of the other men being dicks is a cool reversal as well.

e: useless is the wrong word actually, he's just not useful in the traditional fantasy conception of a important wizard

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 24, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

watched ghostbusters afterlife this weekend

it was fine

the spengler granddaughter was good, Paul Rudd looked like he had fun, and it had lots of callbacks to the first movie

I liked the first half more, when it was paced slower and about a girl discovering her grandfathers spooky poo poo

but then in turns a corner and all of a sudden the kids are hyper competent action movie stars

interestingly, afterlife works best if you ignore all of the other ghostbusters movies except the first one, not just the 2016 one but II as well

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ignoring GB2 is good advice in general, whether you watch Afterlife or not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we watched free guy the other day. it was...fine? had some funny bits, but i guess i was hoping for more

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ghostbusters seems like trash.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
counterpoint: bustin' makes [you] feel good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/alfredofilmgeek/status/1485723163346579457

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tyler went back to his home planet

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

lmao

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/PatinkinMandy/status/1484525646353252353

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

"Naked!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Station Eleven is depressing af

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

last episode of righteous gemstones was hilarious and there's a new one tonight I think
it's been really funny this season so far

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://i.imgur.com/MQTkctz.mp4

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i understand why it doesn't have sound but god drat i wish it did