Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Which card?

I think the below cards are all completely safe unbans:
Jitte
Glimpse of Nature
Pod
Bridge from Below
Preordain

I would like to see Looting and Mox Opal unbanned too but they are a lot more risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Jitte
Glimpse of Nature
Pod
Bridge from Below
Preordain

I would like to see Looting and Mox Opal unbanned too but they are a lot more risky.

I'd like to see Opal unbanned because I've been playing the new UW artifacts deck :getin:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Dungeons were/are okay if you focused on the "if you've completed a dungeon" cards instead of planning your primary value being from the dungeon itself.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This was such a weird thing to read about unbanning Teferi

quote:

before you ask, you get to keep your Wildcards from the original banning.
like someone at WotC had the idea 'we should just drain wildcards from people'

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm surprised lurrus was not banned or even the whole companion mechanic was just not thrown out of modern. ~40% of modern decks run lurrus so it seems like it should.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 25, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1486023388590084103?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'd like to see Opal unbanned because I've been playing the new UW artifacts deck :getin:

I think it's highly likely that Opal would be too good in the hammer decks but if you kill lurrus when you bring it back I think it would most likely be fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

that seems right to me? idk my modern knowledge is pretty limited but it seems like modern players mostly feel like it's in a good place other than Ragavan costs Too Much Money

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Hullbreaker is a much more disgusting card in Standard than Epiphany but whatever I guess

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm surprised lurrus was not banned or even the whole companion mechanic was just not thrown out of modern. ~40% of modern decks run lurrus so it seems like it should.

The deckbuilding cost of including Lurrus is "play a good deck" and things like Puresteel and Death's Shadow aren't going to suddenly include 3 drops without him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Hullbreaker is a much more disgusting card in Standard than Epiphany but whatever I guess

We might be in the same position with hullbreaker being banned in 6 months or whatever but I would like to see it play out first. It's still a 7 mana card that doesn't protect itself.

I agree with Jim Davis
https://twitter.com/JimDavisMTG/status/1486028164195397639

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If there is anything I trust WOTC with, its "the data".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kashuno posted:

that seems right to me? idk my modern knowledge is pretty limited but it seems like modern players mostly feel like it's in a good place other than Ragavan costs Too Much Money

I agree

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hullbreaker is fine, your opponent should be dead before they can cast it (because the meta will be like 90% aggro now) without Divide By Zero backup and the looming threat of Epiphany

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Hullbreaker is fine, your opponent should be dead before they can cast it (because the meta will be like 90% aggro now) without Divide By Zero backup and the looming threat of Epiphany

They just banned the best card in the best aggro deck. I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Epiphany ban also opens the door wide open for many different flavors of midrange.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The deckbuilding cost of including Lurrus is "play a good deck" and things like Puresteel and Death's Shadow aren't going to suddenly include 3 drops without him.

If the deckbuilding cost of Lurrus is basically non-existent, that seems like an argument to remove Lurrus from the format.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm lacking a WB deck for modern so I figured I'd go see if there were any creative, unique WB decks I could look at playing.

Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kashuno posted:

This was such a weird thing to read about unbanning Teferi

like someone at WotC had the idea 'we should just drain wildcards from people'

Given that 'no refunds for nerfs' is far and away the greediest single thing I've heard from any dcg it seems a reasonable concern.

kalel posted:

maybe that's the point. arena can be hearthstone with nominal ties to the real game via standard; if you want to be a paper boomer you can play mtgo or at your local lgs. wotc is letting players decide how they want to play (and bifurcating the player base as a side effect)

Arena missed the boat on commander and now wizards has an expensive new client that's completely incompatible with their current business focus. Too late / too expensive to fix, so make it work.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

yes so basically free to include.. well i guess it takes up 1 sideboard spot. it would be more interesting to watch people try different stuff instead of only searching scryfall for cmc<3. no one knows for certain what happens if you could include 3 drops since lurrus is just too good to make that a consideration.

i'm not sure where wizards was looking at for its sentiment but from most of the youtube mtg content creators were all kinda tired of seeing lurrus and lurrus + bauble combo

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

mcmagic posted:

We might be in the same position with hullbreaker being banned in 6 months or whatever but I would like to see it play out first. It's still a 7 mana card that doesn't protect itself.

Yeah losing Divide by Zero (+Sciences for lands) might make it too slow to really matter

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Hullbreaker is insane for sure but it's not unbeatable and it's nice that blue gets a win condition other than taking all the turns or whatever Lier does.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Is hullbreaker more oppressive in standard than aetherling would be?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

A little. It's better but not a whole lot better. There are always control finishers in magic that people think they are losing tons of games to when 90% of the time they lost to 5 other cards.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Jitte
Glimpse of Nature
Pod
Bridge from Below
Preordain
What are you tal

quote:

Oh. Never mind.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

You mean other than the current version of hammer which plays Kaldra main, right?
https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/deck-lists-magic-online-products-game-info#dough_shack_-
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2022-01-24#kevin_st_place (I also think this one won a challange a few weeks before)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 25, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

You mean other than the current version of hammer which plays Kaldra main, right?
https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/deck-lists-magic-online-products-game-info#dough_shack_-
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-challenge-2022-01-24#kevin_st_place (I also think this one won a challange a few weeks before)

You can't pull out 1 hammer deck that won 1 challenge as the deck changing when like 99.9999999999999999% of the hammer decks are still on lurrus.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this lurrus seems like a real nightmare!

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

HootTheOwl posted:

You said Kaldra, and I was all excited thinking it was the 3 original Kaldra equipment. Nope, just more MH2.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm lacking a WB deck for modern so I figured I'd go see if there were any creative, unique WB decks I could look at playing.

Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus
Lurrus

I've come to the realization that even tokens is playing pretty much just Sorin as more-than-2 drop. Good curve topper though, and I'm not sure if any of the 2 drops are that high value to bother getting them back with lurrus.

Play tokens, it's fun and you have a pretty neutral matchup with most of the field

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

logis posted:

You said Kaldra, and I was all excited thinking it was the 3 original Kaldra equipment. Nope, just more MH2.

MH2... is good

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A big flaming stink posted:

Dream Trawler was way more oppressive than Hullbreaker, and it had a ton more upside. Turning all your spells into two for one Boomerangs is fantastic, but it doesn't mean poo poo if your hand isn't being refilled or your life total keeps dwindling and your big splashy creature can be taken out by a 2 mana removal spell.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Given that 'no refunds for nerfs' is far and away the greediest single thing I've heard from any dcg it seems a reasonable concern.

Arena missed the boat on commander and now wizards has an expensive new client that's completely incompatible with their current business focus. Too late / too expensive to fix, so make it work.

Wizards knew Commander was huge, they didn’t think it was worth pursuing in Arena, and they were right.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ilmucche posted:

I've come to the realization that even tokens is playing pretty much just Sorin as more-than-2 drop. Good curve topper though, and I'm not sure if any of the 2 drops are that high value to bother getting them back with lurrus.

Play tokens, it's fun and you have a pretty neutral matchup with most of the field

Will do. Thanks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Crackbone posted:

Wizards knew Commander was huge, they didn’t think it was worth pursuing in Arena, and they were right.

Do people really think that Commander makes more money or is somehow more important than Arena still

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
i remember when it was tarmogoyf, snapcaster mage, etc, now it's lurrus, no big deal

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The companion mechanic is just boring at this point.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

mcmagic posted:

They just banned the best card in the best aggro deck. I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Epiphany ban also opens the door wide open for many different flavors of midrange.

Haven is a beater, but there are 6 more manlands in standard right now. Everyone slept on Crawling Barrens, but I have a feeling that it's about to make a resurgence.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

The companion mechanic is just boring at this point.

Is it the most polarized mechanic between cards either being obnoxious and format defining or completely unplayable?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Panzeh posted:

i remember when it was tarmogoyf, snapcaster mage, etc, now it's lurrus, no big deal

Not a good comparison at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AngryBooch posted:

If the deckbuilding cost of Lurrus is basically non-existent, that seems like an argument to remove Lurrus from the format.

Thoughtseize and Lightning Bolt have near-zero cost too, maybe good cards just see play. It ain't like it was pre-companion nerf where it was an actively bad decision to forego having one.