Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, rad/sonic corrupter kind of sounds neat and just looking at the powers looks like it synergies well internally, since you got good sources of both - defense and - resist as well as being some really good sources of +resist itself. I just need to work out a name and costume.

Edit - also I've been kicking around the idea of a undead / traps mastermind too. Someone help me for I cannot stop thinking about character concepts.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DeathSandwich posted:

Someone help me for I cannot stop thinking about character concepts.

Those who have ascended require no help

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I'm of the personal point of view that you choose Corrupter when A) you're using some sort of healing/defensive set (as those typically are already more than sufficient even at 80% strength), B) you're using a set with relatively little reliance on pushing buttons and thus more time to blast, or C) you just wanna blast motherfuckers.

Offensive (de)buffing sets meanwhile make more sense on Defenders, because their overall higher (de)buff values are going to translate to a greater party-wide DPS gain compared to what your own blasting gains as a Corruptor. This is especially true if your support set is very click heavy, since that means less time blasting.

Of course, "I just want to blast some motherfuckers" transcends all of this and realistically there's not a very large difference in the two after the mid 30s anyway.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Sonic/Sonic was probably my favorite corruptor back in the day, but if I remade it, it would be a defender because of the easy side-switching these days. Sonic blast isn't that great. The sound effects of sonic blast can be pretty tiring. You can stack a whole lot of -res with the combo if you have a brute/tank on the team for the pbaoe -res toggle. Stick the recharge proc in that one. It used to be super broken, and it took the devs a long time to realize because /sonic wasn't popular. It was likely one of the reasons the proc system was changed. It's still probably good, but not like ~30% recharge boost good.

Sonic Cage is very situational and probably skipable. Mostly useful as a troll these days since you hardly ever needed to isolate a single target like that even back in the day. The repel toggle is probably skipable too, unless you regularly run with somebody you can trust to use it properly. It's really end expensive with the other toggle running. Guides back then suggested skipping Liquify, but I really liked it. IIRC it was good with procs. I think there's a mag 2 hold proc for it? I played a shitload of that character, even back when it was the rarest set because the big bubble triggered migraines. It was my PVE main. Most people are near def cap these days, so the +res is pretty useful compared to something like Force Field or Ice Armor.

Rad/ has a really pleasant chain. Skip the eyebeams and get the piddly little blast instead. The stun deals the most dps, so pump your money into it. Rad/ would probably pair well with /sonic, but don't bother enhancing the -def on a corruptor.

Fire/Dark is really good as a blast set. One of my buds wrote the guide back in the day and he was always a welcome addition to a team. Tar Patch helps to negate the Flee from Rain of Fire. Howling Twighlight is amazing as a rez, or an aoe stun and slow. The immobilize cone is sweet. The toggle is great for pulling around corners. Skip the hold and intangible power. Dark isn't a "healer" set, but you'll want to stand near the other ranged folks and fire of the heal as soon as it comes up. It's quite powerful and takes no thought, other than positioning, on your part.

Water/Time rules. I highly recommend giving it a try. That and my Huntsman crab are my mains on Homecoming. You're going to have a hard time picking powers to skip because they're all so good, so as usual with corruptors, skip the hold. Like /Dark you position yourself near the other squishies and for off the heal every time it's up but Farsight and Chrono Shift take a lot more thought on positioning before you use them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
My other corrupter is water /poison and he seems pretty fun, though he's only like level 10. I named him 'Toilet Juice' and dressed him up in white ceramic because that seemed appropriate.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Check out the poison guides on the forums, there's a lot of mechanics you'd otherwise not be aware of, specifically relating to the poison set's unique poison trap, how to make the debuffs stack, noxious gas, and -damage

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Has anyone had lot of luck running a corrupter using one of the more aggressive or non-healing secondary skillets? Been thinking about making like a radiation / sonic corrupter or something of that nature.

I had a few really strong, tanky /time corrupters, the best being my water/time. Basically played it like a brute with a nuke it ruled.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Also Cold Domination corruptions. Cold as a secondary is some bugfuck debuff and team defense buff goodness with like -25% allres in a fat AoE rain power every pull.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

DangerDan posted:

Also Cold Domination corruptions. Cold as a secondary is some bugfuck debuff and team defense buff goodness with like -25% allres in a fat AoE rain power every pull.

For extra goodness, Sleet also takes the Annihilation and Achilles Heel res debuff procs.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Are people still playing on Homecoming? I've been on Indomitable since "launch" but have been away aside from the occasion Dark Astoria daily. On a related note, anyone still running I-trials from time to time on HC?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think once the nostalgia bomb settled down, a ton of players bled off.

I'll pop in every now and then but don't feel inclined to play much.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Stuff still happens on excel, beats me anywhere else. I log on rarely and do not think there is an active goon community.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I moved on from Indomitable to Excelsior because there are just more people there. That and the RP server whose name I forgot still get into the reds pop wise on the weekends so people are definitely still out there playing!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Everlasting. I still play there a good bit, and it still hits 2 dots every night. Excelsior is always 2 dots.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok so I rolled a (hundred) character(s) and I'm seeing things in chat that I don't remember from 2005-ish:

I see people begging for AE farms in chat. What is this?

I also see people recruiting for "hitters" and "sitters", also what.

I don't remember Death From Below, but I'm glad it's there. Is there some sort of handy chart that shows level ranges for group content?

I don't know if this is unique to Homecoming, but boy howdy is it nice that you can get your travel power at 4 instead of 14.

It's funny, when I picked up CoH at launch most people were using it as a stopgap until either WoW or EQ2 came out. When they did, all my friends disappeared. Now WoW sucks and I'm back to playing CoH. Life is strange!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Seventh Arrow posted:

"PL meh plz!!!1"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ok so I rolled a (hundred) character(s) and I'm seeing things in chat that I don't remember from 2005-ish:

Architect farming. Super fast (with the right setup) to get billions of Inf and xp.

AE farming is usually done by one person while the rest sit at the beginning of the mission. Hitter are people that help out killing but they need to follow the main farmer so as not to over-commit.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ah, ok I think I see. I recall architect being where you could make your own missions. So I assume people are just making a big box with a bunch of e-z mobs to farm.

I remember Emmert hated that back in the day. He posted about how he joined a group incognito and the tanker just said "wait here" and then he pulled the entire instance back to the entrance where they all just AOE'ed everything down for easy xp. Needless to say, he was not impressed. I think that's when they started to make enhancements have diminishing returns.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Specifically, fire enemies... enemies who have fire type attacks tend not to have mixed damage types, while most other attacks involve multiple types... ice attacks tend to involve both smashing and cold type damage, for example. Also fire resist powers give a relatively large amount of fire resist, because it's a relatively rare damage type. So if you make a dedicated character for it, you can have a character nearly immune to huge armies of fire enemies you'll only encounter in a Mission Architect mission, who is completely useless for any other content in the game, who only exists to power level other characters.

A truly joyless play experience.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I don't mind getting very zen and farming for a while. It's easy cash, but you can also just do a Hami or Tinpex and bathe in merits so it never really feels like you have to farm

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mystic Mongol posted:

Specifically, fire enemies... enemies who have fire type attacks tend not to have mixed damage types, while most other attacks involve multiple types... ice attacks tend to involve both smashing and cold type damage, for example. Also fire resist powers give a relatively large amount of fire resist, because it's a relatively rare damage type. So if you make a dedicated character for it, you can have a character nearly immune to huge armies of fire enemies you'll only encounter in a Mission Architect mission, who is completely useless for any other content in the game, who only exists to power level other characters.

A truly joyless play experience.

I have a Spines/Fire Brute farmer and it's boring as gently caress buuuut because it is so mindless, it's the perfect time to watch a movie on a second monitor.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

conversely i love my fiery aura/rad melee tanker who can actually do a wide variety of content and not fall flat on his face and pump out solid damage thanks to the buff to tankers.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I never got my hands on CoH before it shut down originally. Is it worth checking out in 2022? I've got a little bit of a superhero fiction itch that Marvel can't scratch.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ferrovanadium posted:

I never got my hands on CoH before it shut down originally. Is it worth checking out in 2022? I've got a little bit of a superhero fiction itch that Marvel can't scratch.

Yes!

There are some design and gameplay stuff that may be annoying to a modern audience but it's a fuckin hoot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Absolutely worth checking out, yeah. I never really played before it shut down either, but when Homecoming started up a couple years ago I had an absolute blast with it, completely absent any nostalgia. It's a really special game.

I think most goons on Homecoming these days play on the Excelsior server?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ferrovanadium posted:

100%

Don't get us wrong, it's a product of it's time, but the design philosophy as time went on, and ESPECIALLY after the private servers spun up is basically "why not?".

You wanna color a water blaster yellow with the naruto run and make pee jokes? GO FOR IT. You wanna create intricately detailed anti-heroes with asymmetrical shoulder guards and a deep compelling backstory? Also an option!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ferrovanadium posted:

yes, absolutely. i've been introducing new players to it from time to time and they've really enjoyed it, jank aside. there's really nothing else like CoH. it is one of my fave MMOs and i think it holds up well in 2022.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only complaint is that people moving from Indomitable to Excelsior required me to leave behind a really, really good character name for my main Corruptor guy because it was taken on Excelsior already. Still sad about that one :smith: But Excelsior is much more populated than Indom so the move was worth it. (I still have the name camped on Indom--a noir-themed dual pistols/dark Corruptor called the Scarlet Shadow--but I had to pick a different pseudo-noir name on Excel.)

But yeah the game's a blast.

Something really unique about it compared to modern MMOs is the value of support and CC-focused characters (rather than a rigid tank/heal/DPS trinity). It's a really fun throwback to have a debuffer/dedicated CC-user be a really valuable asset to the team.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 2, 2022

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Harrow posted:

My only complaint is that people moving from Indomitable to Excelsior required me to leave behind a really, really good character name for my main

loving SAME

RIP Hive-Mind, I can’t think of anything good for a bee-themed widow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I ended up going with "the Midnight Falcon" on Excelsior but it's just not the same :negative:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seventh Arrow posted:

I don't remember Death From Below, but I'm glad it's there. Is there some sort of handy chart that shows level ranges for group content?

I haven't found a single consolidated list, but the hero task forces, villain strike forces, and hero/villain trials should work out? At least until Incarnates happen.

Edit: The old Summer Blockbuster (SBB) event trial is also permanently on; Halloween and Christmas trials are still seasonal.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 2, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

You can pop open the LFG tab in-game and stuff’s sorted by level by default. Just hover over the entries for specific details like the exact level range.

(And if it’s highlighted purple, it’s the weekly target for extra bonuses!)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You can pop open the LFG tab in-game and stuff’s sorted by level by default. Just hover over the entries for specific details like the exact level range.

I think it only shows you ones you're in level range for, which from one perspective is good and you can never be too high, but if you want to know what's ahead you're out of luck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Do we have an active SG on Excelsior?
I mostly play solo but I like having a regular group to chat with.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Excelsior COWARDS. Come to Everlasting, the RP server.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Did they ever get around to making the LFG system and the Cathedral of Pain work?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ironslave posted:

Did they ever get around to making the LFG system and the Cathedral of Pain work?

Was there a time when LFG didn't work? :confused: But yeah, both are fully functional on Homecoming.

I guess with the minor caveats that just like on live literally nobody bothers using LFG as an auto-queue and CoP is still largely janky and pointless.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 3, 2022

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ferrovanadium posted:

I'm biased as someone who enjoyed City of Heroes when it was live, but I think it's worth playing even if you know nothing about it. Nothing else really plays like City of Heroes does. It starts off slow, but even at low levels you can round up a group of 8 players and have a good time knocking mobs around in an office building somewhere. Modern MMOs have far less focus on crowd control, while City of Heroes has entire classes built around it (though they usually end up trying to squeeze as much damage as they can into their builds anyway.) The sheer amount of mobs the game throws at you in a full party is great as well. Brawls can reach Diablo levels of mob density.

Inzombiac posted:

Do we have an active SG on Excelsior?
I mostly play solo but I like having a regular group to chat with.

There was an active goon chat you could join but I don't think Homecoming has hit a critical mass of players since it was new. Personally I just make my own SGs to use the base as storage for enhancements so I can kit out new characters easier.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 3, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Diephoon posted:

I'm biased as someone who enjoyed City of Heroes when it was live, but I think it's worth playing even if you know nothing about it. Nothing else really plays like City of Heroes does. It starts off slow, but even at low levels you can round up a group of 8 players and have a good time knocking mobs around in an office building somewhere. Modern MMOs have far less focus on crowd control, while City of Heroes has entire classes built around it (though they usually end up trying to squeeze as much damage as they can into their builds anyway.) The sheer amount of mobs the game throws at you in a full party is great as well. Brawls can reach Diablo levels of mob density.

There was an active goon chat you could join but I don't think Homecoming has hit a critical mass of players since it was new. Personally I just make my own SGs to use the base as storage for enhancements so I can kit out new characters easier.

This is especially fun when you're a team of 8 Masterminds goin' buckwild. Sure you can't tell what's going on but that doesn't matter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
CoH is the only MMO I've ever played where you can survey a room brim full of yellows and think, "Ehh, this'll be a cakewalk."

(Though I used to main Blasters, so it was more, "Ehh, how far away can I get so I can pick them off one by one before the group that peels off runs me down.")

And I've never seen a more chaotic thing on my computer than a full 32-player Task Force. It's like being in a mosh pit during a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert.