Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Every single Shrimp I have ever seen is face first in cocktail sauce, so I assume that is what they eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Residency Evil posted:

Would be genuinely fascinated to learn about how a suburban shrimp farm works. What do you feed them with? How do you filter the water? How salty does the water have to be? What happens when the enemy that you lured in to your garage falls in?

I’d wonder if, even barring misadventure, the salinity of the water would present an issue when emptied into the plumbing or municipal wastewater system.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Residency Evil posted:

Would be genuinely fascinated to learn about how a suburban shrimp farm works. What do you feed them with? How do you filter the water? How salty does the water have to be? What happens when the enemy that you lured in to your garage falls in?

And how could he think it would be profitable at that scale. I'm pretty sure shrimp farms still need to be bigger than a standard suburban house to function.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Everyone has heard a version of this story a thousand times and probably has friends and relatives who have been in the exact same situation.

Despite that, is there anything more tragic than the story of a suburban shrimp farmer who was made homeless because he loved his craft?

The rest of this guy's posting history is very short, but very on brand.

His other posts are in topics about :

- How to get racing stripes off of a Dodge Charger
- Day trading Gamestop stock
- Ways to buy tickets to exclusive underground EDM shows in Charlotte, NC

I went to a friend's house for NYE and they were just having a gathering of people from the neighborhood outside due to omicron. I overheard a 50+ year old bro general contractor dressed in teenager's clothes and a ~40's snooty software bro talking non-stop for about an hour about AMC, GME, hedgies, BTC and doge. I knew that poo poo was laughable prior to going, but that sure put a (highly punchable) face on the "apes" of r/wsb.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

golden bubble posted:

And how could he think it would be profitable at that scale. I'm pretty sure shrimp farms still need to be bigger than a standard suburban house to function.

yeah, all these questions about the fascinating technical aspects of suburban shrimp farming are well and good, but what I really want to know is who the hell is buying this dude's garage-farmed shrimp. tell me more about how one goes about marketing and distributing small-batch locally-grown shrimp native to the suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 25, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if my neighbor was farming shrimp and was gonna cut me a deal, i'd do it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blotto_Otter posted:

yeah, all these questions about the fascinating technical aspects of suburban shrimp farming are well and good, but what I really want to know is who the hell is buying this dude's garage-farmed shrimp. tell me more about how one goes about marketing and distributing locally-grown shrimp native to the suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina

What I want to know is how the gently caress he is disposing of the waste water. Farmed seafood produced a ton of fish/shrimp/etc poo poo. Negligible at the level of the individual animal with enough space but something you have to worry about once you cram a bunch of them into a farm situation.

Pollution from real fish farms is a real issue for this reason and fucks up a lot of water.

There are responsible ways to handle it. There’s a dude in TFR with a fish raising Siri atom where he filters the water and uses it as fertilizer or something on the giant garden he has running. But somehow I suspect shrimp bro is just dumping the water.

One also wonders what the electricity (water cycling and oxygenation if nothing else) and water consumption is like and how/if that affects anything with the landlord.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if my neighbor was farming shrimp and was gonna cut me a deal, i'd do it

Thinking about it now, I'd probably spend a lot more time on the Nextdoor app if it had less of my neighbors competing to see who is most racist, and more of my neighbors advertising their live shrimp grown in their above-ground pool

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

What do you feed them with? How do you filter the water?

Same solution to both problems. Most members of the prawn family are filter feeders, and they clean the water & eat their food by passing water through their fan-like appendages

That's right; these prawn stars need only fans

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jesus christ

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This loving thread.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress you

:lol:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
:five:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Blotto_Otter posted:

yeah, all these questions about the fascinating technical aspects of suburban shrimp farming are well and good, but what I really want to know is who the hell is buying this dude's garage-farmed shrimp. tell me more about how one goes about marketing and distributing small-batch locally-grown shrimp native to the suburbs of Charlotte, North Carolina

When we were moving from MD to FL, we stopped in Lumberton to stay the day so my wife (driving the moving truck) and my MIL (driving our vehicle) could sleep. The hotel was next to a Walmart.

In the very back of the parking lot, next to the hotel, a man with a van was hucking walking sticks and dubious seafood.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is the pun that kills me, it's been a good run. Goodbye

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

omg

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
God drat it

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Phanatic posted:

The only thing stopping me from loving this is that errant apostrophe.

I thought the apostrophe is what makes it perfect.

Reminds me of how most spam email has a bunch of typos and poor punctuation that still reads fairly well. Smart people will notice the mistakes and ignore the spam (and not waste any of the scammer's time), but the people who are dumb enough to not notice them are exactly the people that the scammer wants to attract.

They're just filtering out who they advertise to, it's brilliant.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What you do is have a shrimp farm, a clam farm, and a seaweed farm all in one contained ecosystem! Definitely foolproof.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Cyrano4747 posted:

What I want to know is how the gently caress he is disposing of the waste water. Farmed seafood produced a ton of fish/shrimp/etc poo poo. Negligible at the level of the individual animal with enough space but something you have to worry about once you cram a bunch of them into a farm situation.

Pollution from real fish farms is a real issue for this reason and fucks up a lot of water.

There are responsible ways to handle it. There’s a dude in TFR with a fish raising Siri atom where he filters the water and uses it as fertilizer or something on the giant garden he has running. But somehow I suspect shrimp bro is just dumping the water.

One also wonders what the electricity (water cycling and oxygenation if nothing else) and water consumption is like and how/if that affects anything with the landlord.

Just having that much open tank water in the house is going to cause damage to the house from the humidity levels it will create unless he has a massive dehumidifying system. If anything breaks, the house will probably have to be gutted from water damage. Most pet leases specify the maximum size of an aquarium you're allowed to have for those reasons. Water consumption is very commonly paid by the landlord as well so there's that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The junk collector posted:

Just having that much open tank water in the house is going to cause damage to the house from the humidity levels it will create unless he has a massive dehumidifying system. If anything breaks, the house will probably have to be gutted from water damage. Most pet leases specify the maximum size of an aquarium you're allowed to have for those reasons. Water consumption is very commonly paid by the landlord as well so there's that.

But they don't specify how much basil you can grow, and that's where the real money is at in residential rental farming.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He says he wasn't using much power. I think we must be wrong about the size because two "average aboveground pools" wouldn't fit into a garage, let alone a townhouse garage. I wonder whether he means two kiddie pools?

I would eat neighbor shrimp though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Motronic posted:

But they don't specify how much basil you can grow, and that's where the real money is at in residential rental farming.

:airquote: Basil :airquote:, yes, that's where the money is

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Volmarias posted:

:airquote: Basil :airquote:, yes, that's where the money is

The funny thing is that I actually have a couple of grow lamps specifically to have fresh basil in the winter because my wife is absolutely wild for it.

I'm pretty sure the retired cop on my street thinks I'm growing weed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why the og basil thing was so funny

basil really is a pretty profitable crop still

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Seriously, though, fresh basil is the poo poo.

I started growing it to make my wife happy, but at this point I have to admit I'm down.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The funny thing is that I actually have a couple of grow lamps specifically to have fresh basil in the winter because my wife is absolutely wild for it.

I'm pretty sure the retired cop on my street thinks I'm growing weed.

One of our neighbors has a tulsi (holy basil) plant that they absolutely baby. It lives on a cart which they wheel out onto the balcony on nice days. The rest of the time it's just inside the sliding glass door with a bright lamp pointed right at it. Somehow it still looks like it is just barely holding on to life.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shrimp Neighbor is definitely discharging his effluent into a convenient storm drain.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

One of our neighbors has a tulsi (holy basil) plant that they absolutely baby. It lives on a cart which they wheel out onto the balcony on nice days. The rest of the time it's just inside the sliding glass door with a bright lamp pointed right at it. Somehow it still looks like it is just barely holding on to life.

Chances are they're not fertilizing it and/or it needs better light.

That said I've just got garbage peasant Sweet Basil and I'm pretty sure I'd have to go out of my way to kill it at this point.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My basil would always get to big and eventually get to be more a shrub and not as good. If you want bees to go nuts plant that African Blue Basil hybrid. I probably have 50+ bees at a time feeding off of it.

Checked in on r/Superstonk. Top rated was a post by someone studying charts proving that the stock was "going to the moon on/or around the 25th of January".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My basil would always get to big and eventually get to be more a shrub and not as good. If you want bees to go nuts plant that African Blue Basil hybrid. I probably have 50+ bees at a time feeding off of it.

Checked in on r/Superstonk. Top rated was a post by someone studying charts proving that the stock was "going to the moon on/or around the 25th of January".

Were you clipping the flowers before they bloomed? You basically want to neuter it every time it starts popping out flower buds.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

That guy needs all those shrimp because that rice ain’t gonna fry itself.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Priorities seem okay, but I'd at least have a combined potting shed/garage for that thing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

When you get the tutorial house in Forza but you already have the DLC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the bwm part is parking the supercar outside

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is this Vancouver? The house could be worth more than the car.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mantle posted:

Is this Vancouver? The house could be worth more than the car.

Seattle, apparently.

The owner of the house/Mclaren is some kind of construction foreman. He must be really good at saving money on everything except his car.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Seems GWL/BWM to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seattle, apparently.

The owner of the house/Mclaren is some kind of construction foreman. He must be really good at saving money on everything except his car.

I think you’re giving him a lot of credit on “everything.”