Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's a very common sentiment, this can't be the first time people are getting exposed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

Samovar posted:

...does... Does this person have ANY brain?!

somepartsareme posted:

This is your brain on centrism

Vargo posted:

Pastis has been slowly turning more and more conservative over the years as he gets older, in the sense of "everyone is so offended, why can't I say things I wanna say?" so I'm not really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says "far left is just like far right." He's exactly the kind of dipshit who would believe in horseshoe theory and swear he's a liberal.

Murdstone posted:

I agree with this, but I also suspect part of why Pastis does what he does is he doesn't want to piss off anyone too bad so when he touches on politics he tends to both-sides it, or he waters down the impact of whatever message he is getting to by having pig say "Why don't we all just hug each other?" at the end. The last thing he wants is to impact his newspaper syndication or book sales.

Are we reading the same comic? :confused: He isn't both-sidesing anything. The joke is very clearly at the expense of the rich and powerful owners of media outlets who manipulate the people for their own gain, and who would have much to fear if the people ever truly grasped the scope of the wealth inequality they represent. I have no idea how you can look at it and decide it means he has brainworms.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Are we reading the same comic? :confused: He isn't both-sidesing anything. The joke is very clearly at the expense of the rich and powerful owners of media outlets who manipulate the people for their own gain, and who would have much to fear if the people ever truly grasped the scope of the wealth inequality they represent. I have no idea how you can look at it and decide it means he has brainworms.

Right? Like "no war but class war" is something you can agree or disagree with, but I've never seen it considered a center-right take.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Another strip where it's glaringly obvious this isn't the present day. No cell phones, but there is a pay phone?

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

So that's what happened to Snoopy. :ms:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Powered Descent posted:

current day liberal thought holds having any conservative opinions at any time as a mark of cain and thus any idea of trying to win them over is rejected as capitulating to conservativism

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Dick edition)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Haifisch posted:

90s Overboard

Adding that longship to the list of things Overboard has a nearly-unrecognizable model for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Adding that longship to the list of things Overboard has a nearly-unrecognizable model for.

what longship

is it behind the ice cream cake

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
My problem with the Pastis comic is the implication that "left vs right" is a petty squabble that somehow doesn't have anything to do with capitalism or class war. As others said, "the left and right have more in common than they think" is a pretty meaningless platitude for the many demographics that the right wouldn't mind seeing dead

e: And also I'm sick of Pastis putting out pretty milquetoast political messages and acting like a pariah for it, but the Family Circus bit is funny

E again: the comic does make a lot more sense if you replace "left and right" with "democrat and republican" which he probably means

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 25, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

:shrug:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Powered Descent posted:

It's the fact that he's describing a phenomenon that has been addressed repeatedly as a fundamental problem with capitalist society by leftist movements and then states it as if it is something totally divorced from said movements which does my nut it. It's like people complaining about 'crony capitalism', overlooking the fact that it is how capitalism works.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Interesting conversation today.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here is a list of people that WON'T be killed by me:
Mother Family Circus
Little Boy Family Circus
Little Girl Family Circus
Baby Family Circus

That is all.

I can't find the original clip on YouTube so enjoy this amazing remix instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjM_tFtecYw

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Better late than never, it's Ballard Street!

This batch includes at least two top tier avatar pics, take a guess which ones!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if Ballard Street was capable of soaring to the same heights as "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal" or "Midvale School for the Gifted"

But by god, I think the average Ballard Street might be just as good as the average Far Side.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm not qualified to speak as to whether Pastis is liberal, centrist, or slightly conservative. All I know is he has made a shitload of strips attacking people who ride bikes, portraying them as pompous assholes who everyone should hate. So I'm not inclined to give him any benefit of the doubt.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ballard Street is a consistent delight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not qualified to speak as to whether Pastis is liberal, centrist, or slightly conservative. All I know is he has made a shitload of strips attacking people who ride bikes, portraying them as pompous assholes who everyone should hate. So I'm not inclined to give him any benefit of the doubt.

Law of tonnage. You may be right but who cares if you are dead or crippled. This applies to sail craft operators too. In his comics the bike riders always wear spandex not like kids riding to school so I don’t think it is “everyone” just a special breed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

this is true but it's also specifically a jab at the guy who draws family circus

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there is a difference between people who ride bikes and Bicycle People

just like there's a difference between people who vape and OK WE GET IT YOU VAPE people

same with Vegans, atheists, you name it

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

EasyEW posted:

I appreciate this

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Twelve by Pies posted:

Those strips are actually specifically jabs at a friend of his.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is true but it's also specifically a jab at the guy who draws family circus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ah okay, I didn't know that. It's just that I remember a particular rockheave comic that had the "most annoying person" competition between a vegan and a bicycle guy so you can see how that would color my perception of someone else who's drawing strips about how annoying bicycle guys are. But if it's about someone he knows personally and it's a lighthearted jab that changes things.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Note that the cyclist character in Pearls is named Jef, as in Jef Mallett of Frazz infamy. And Frazz is just loaded with smug, self-congratulatory cyclist and runner pontification.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 25, 2022

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

I don’t really post much, but please revive Lucky Lefty.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako: Starting the chapter with a flashback

Night Visitors: Christmas mood

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean featuring AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH GODDAMMIT LES MOORE!

Funky Wankerdeath

fakeedit: goddamnit i did that whole strip before i saw this

JethroMcB posted:

"Penny for your thoughts, Les."
"Dying. Illness. Impending Death."
"Jesus Christ, always with this poo poo."

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's saying that culture war stuff is promoted to distract from the growing financial inequality. For example, during the Trump administration, Bezos was held up as a hero of (some segment of) "the left" because his newspapers were critical of Trump. It's not a particularly complicated message, and I wouldn't say it's typical centrism. I would guess the confusion has arisen because nobody knows what anybody means when they say "the left".
The problem is that this comes with the implication that 'culture war stuff' (a very, very broad category) is just an artificial smokescreen and surely if bigots and their targets/people that don't like bigots were only cleverer they would realize that the only real problem is money and the bigotry is merely fake, when the foundation of American wealth and aspiration from the get-go was acquiring stolen land and enslaved labour from peoples the colonists regarded as subhuman, something that was embraced by euro-Americans from the wealthiest to the poorest for centuries.
or, well,

somepartsareme posted:

My problem with the Pastis comic is the implication that "left vs right" is a petty squabble that somehow doesn't have anything to do with capitalism or class war. As others said, "the left and right have more in common than they think" is a pretty meaningless platitude for the many demographics that the right wouldn't mind seeing dead.

Giant Ethicist posted:

ChaCha Chako: Starting the chapter with a flashback

I can't believe Chako hadn't murdered and eaten the sun yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Three squids in dixie cups.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Drakyn posted:

Funky Wankerdeath

fakeedit: goddamnit i did that whole strip before i saw this

The problem is that this comes with the implication that 'culture war stuff' (a very, very broad category) is just an artificial smokescreen and surely if bigots and their targets/people that don't like bigots were only cleverer they would realize that the only real problem is money and the bigotry is merely fake, when the foundation of American wealth and aspiration from the get-go was acquiring stolen land and enslaved labour from peoples the colonists regarded as subhuman, something that was embraced by euro-Americans from the wealthiest to the poorest for centuries.
or, well,

I can't believe Chako hadn't murdered and eaten the sun yet.

Well remember the world resets to a certain status quo so it's fulyl possible she's eaten the sun before this flashback BUT has not strained it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Bear Is Named Flathead and I Cannot Remember The Last Time They Were In This Comic

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Clearly a man who does not believe that (college level!) Cheer is a real sport writing what he thinks a cheerleader would say about why Cheer is a real sport.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Murdstone posted:

I agree with this, but I also suspect part of why Pastis does what he does is he doesn't want to piss off anyone too bad so when he touches on politics he tends to both-sides it, or he waters down the impact of whatever message he is getting to by having pig say "Why don't we all just hug each other?" at the end. The last thing he wants is to impact his newspaper syndication or book sales.

Then he shouldn't touch politics because he's got nothing insightful to say and his opinion is like an unflushed toilet
Also his entire oeuvre is him writing a dipshit bad joke and going gee wasn't that a dipshit bad joke in the final panel so he shouldn't touch comic strips either

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What would Mary Worth say about Les Moore and St Lisa?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

What would Mary Worth say about Les Moore and St Lisa?

She'd say it's important for Les to always think about Lisa as that is how she is kept alive, all women in his life should be measured against her, and his every breath should be an ode to the memory of our St. Lisa of the Crabs

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What would the Funky Winkerbean band director say about Luann's disrespect of cheerleading?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

She'd say it's important for Les to always think about Lisa as that is how she is kept alive, all women in his life should be measured against her, and his every breath should be an ode to the memory of our St. Lisa of the Crabs

Iiii don't know. She probably would have some words about him not being true to his current wife (whatever her name is. Not-Lisa).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Iiii don't know. She probably would have some words about him not being true to his current wife (whatever her name is. Not-Lisa).

That's almost good advice. This Mary Worth advised a person to stay with their borderline abusive alcoholic boyfriend who threatened to murder her beloved cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 15, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 13, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 25, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 27, 1936

Mopsy October 4, 1937

Up Front November 7, 1944