Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Saukkis posted:

Oculus Quest 2 is perfectly fine for DCS use and cheaper than your Warthog. Especially if you get a used 64GB set. For example this one is available for $200.

You need the $100 pc link cable though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mods I have a 3080ti and I can’t hit 50fps. Plz update title.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Vahakyla posted:

Mods I have a 3080ti and I can’t hit 50fps. Plz update title.

I have a 3060Ti and I hit 60. :smugdog:

Of course, this leads right back to the previous discussion of VR vs pancake.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xakura posted:

You can use any USB-C cable and there's a ton of companies that make longer ones with angled ends specifically for VR headset use for much much cheaper.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The problem with DCS VR is that it’s poorly optimized. The frametimes are not consistent and there are stutters even on my 12700k Geforce 3080. In VR even occasional stutters will feel horrible. You’ll spend hours tweaking your settings and making changes in Windows in the hope of making it feel right, but it’s never there. Some people seem to have better tolerance than others. I personally need to have steady frametimes. 60fps is bullshit if they are not delivered consistently, especially when you have two screens right in front of your eyeballs.

VR in IL-2 is amazing though. I suggest you get started there so you can have the true “holy poo poo” experience and see it at its full potential before you try it on DCS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I get decent frames on a 1080TI by turning off tacview, and setting forests to either be invisible or to look like sprites from Doom II. I turn forests up a little bit when I fly a helo, as it's otherwise too much like flying through Doom II or Jane's Longbow Gold

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Xakura posted:

Any decent USB-3 cable that has USB-C on the headset end works. Or if you have a high quality Wifi you can connect the Quest 2 on it and run it wirelessly with Air Link or Virtual Desktop.

Animal posted:

The problem with DCS VR is that it’s poorly optimized. The frametimes are not consistent and there are stutters even on my 12700k Geforce 3080. In VR even occasional stutters will feel horrible. You’ll spend hours tweaking your settings and making changes in Windows in the hope of making it feel right, but it’s never there. Some people seem to have better tolerance than others. I personally need to have steady frametimes. 60fps is bullshit if they are not delivered consistently, especially when you have two screens right in front of your eyeballs.

60 fps sounds too low, no headset runs at that frame rate, unless you are running Q2 at 120Hz. I think 90Hz is the usual frequency for headsets. I'm not sure which headsets support frame doubling.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Animal posted:

The problem with DCS VR is that it’s poorly optimized.

VR in IL-2 is amazing though. I suggest you get started there so you can have the true “holy poo poo” experience and see it at its full potential before you try it on DCS.

il-2 rules. has anyone here tried VTOL VR yet? it looks like everything that made DCS fun but doesn't seem grounded in trying to be a realistic videogame

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Any decent USB-3 cable that has USB-C on the headset end works. Or if you have a high quality Wifi you can connect the Quest 2 on it and run it wirelessly with Air Link or Virtual Desktop.

60 fps sounds too low, no headset runs at that frame rate, unless you are running Q2 at 120Hz. I think 90Hz is the usual frequency for headsets. I'm not sure which headsets support frame doubling.

I was just using 60 as an example. I have a Valve Index and the best to hope is 45fps doubled to 90. But even a steady 45fps is difficult with DCS in many situations especially in multi player, no matter the hardware. I'll go back to DCS VR if the multicore/Vulkan patch turns out to be a magic bullet. I'm not holding my breath.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Thief posted:

il-2 rules. has anyone here tried VTOL VR yet? it looks like everything that made DCS fun but doesn't seem grounded in trying to be a realistic videogame

VTOL VR rules

(Also, tried it "yet?" It's 4 years old)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my biggest problem with VR in DCS is spotting other aircraft.

for bvr fights vr is great but once you get into visual range you're at a real disadvantage against track ir players.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Free Su-30 mod to be released soon apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4qUYDxob0

https://stormbirds.blog/2022/01/20/a-su-30-mod-for-dcs-world-is-capturing-attentions/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thief posted:

VTOL VR is great and there’s a campaign that ports over a bunch of missions from Ace Combat X, soundtrack and dialogue included.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Saukkis posted:

When I got started I was struggling to maintain 30 FPS on the Vive with a 1080. It is definitely something you can get used to at some level. I remember learning to keep my head still and looking down while going through the cold start sequence as Vaha's RIO, because I was dipping into the teens on the framerate as he was taxiing and couldn't look outside until we were in the air.

It is a great experience but it's not for everyone. The good news is it has gotten much much better over the years and my 2080ti keeps me around 50 most of the time after I upgraded my CPU last year. That plus the increased fidelity of the newer headsets has really changed things. It used to be VR made it a lot harder to fly but the feeling of being in the cockpit was such an experience it was worth it, now I would say it's unquestionably better if you can afford the hardware to make it work. What's funny is I think the original thread title was a reference to Vaha making fun of me for blowing $1200 on a 2080ti and still struggling to maintain good frames, and nowadays if I got a new card for $1200 I would be thrilled.

I will say different modules have given my different results in VR. The F18 is fantastically readable in VR and I could make out the the displays even in the bad old days. When I swapped over to flying A10s for a bit I struggled to read the HUD or MFDs on a super-sampled index and couldn't comfortably do so until I got the G2.

IMO the minimum hardware you need to enjoy DCS is a decent joystick with analog throttle axis of some sort, and a track IR. Rudder pedals are great and if you're flying WW2 planes or helicopters I'd throw them in there as well (though you might be able to get away with a rocker/twist axis, I used the TDC thumbstick on the old CH Throttle for my rudder in War Thunder until I was able to afford pedals).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Rudder pedals have been principally for helicopters since I got them, but they are also really handy for getting the F-5 on target, especially when hunting for a tone on a target I have on radar, but it's nose low (wing over, rudder nose to target). They also pay off in small ways like making the surprise crosswind in the mission this weekend much less of a factor with just a bit of input to control the crabbing.

For those who may be curious, they do not have toe brakes, and I have zero regrets about that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Rudder pedals have been principally for helicopters since I got them, but they are also really handy for getting the F-5 on target, especially when hunting for a tone on a target I have on radar, but it's nose low (wing over, rudder nose to target). They also pay off in small ways like making the surprise crosswind in the mission this weekend much less of a factor with just a bit of input to control the crabbing.

For those who may be curious, they do not have toe brakes, and I have zero regrets about that.

Yeah the utility of rudder pedals is very situational. Warbirds or helicopters they're almost required, and it scales from there with the introduction of fly by wire.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 24, 2022

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fly-by-wire is for wimps. :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I use the rocker on my T16000 throttle for rudder and it works ok, even for helos.

Still having a ton of problems with hovering and approaches in the Mi-8. Just when I think I have it steady I fall out of the sky like a rock from VRS lol.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I use the rocker on my T16000 throttle for rudder and it works ok, even for helos.

Still having a ton of problems with hovering and approaches in the Mi-8. Just when I think I have it steady I fall out of the sky like a rock from VRS lol.

The trick in the Mi-8 is to get a feel for the transition shakes and when it's time to put in some collective before all of that happens. Later, you can start worrying about parrying the torque with the pedals when you do that, because that's just something that looks bad — not something that causes explosions. :cheeky:

It is actually pretty good at communicating what will happen 5-10 seconds in the future, but it takes a bit of learning to understand what it's telling you.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The best developer in DCS, Heatblur Simulations, announced they are making the F-4E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQuBI70CbNI

The King is back. The legendary Phantom family is coming to DCS, starting with the DCS: F-4E in 2022. Developed by Heatblur Simulations in partnership with Eagle Dynamics, this will be the beginning of an unforgettable experience flying and fighting a timeless and iconic aircraft.

:fap:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

The best developer in DCS, Heatblur Simulations, announced they are making the F-4E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQuBI70CbNI

The King is back. The legendary Phantom family is coming to DCS, starting with the DCS: F-4E in 2022. Developed by Heatblur Simulations in partnership with Eagle Dynamics, this will be the beginning of an unforgettable experience flying and fighting a timeless and iconic aircraft.

By the way, description says "F-4 FAMILY so not just US-centric E-model.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vahakyla posted:

By the way, description says "F-4 FAMILY so not just US-centric E-model.

But also means the US-centric carrier models.

:911:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It better be the whole family, because the F-4E is an Air Force model, and there's no loving way I'm buying a Phantom module that can't operate from a carrier.

That said, :circlefap: I can't wait to have another multi-crew jet. Between this, the Intruder, and the Strike Eagle, this should be a good couple of years (well as good as DCS can be anyway)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah even if it's all the F-4E export variants it could include things like the Japanese upgraded F-4EJs, German F-4Fs, and Iranian ones so there can finally be a proper Iran-Iraq war scenario.

I'm sold.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yessss! Now I can have my DCS Liberation cold war campaign with the F4 playable.

Looking forward to dunking on Mig 21s at Mach 2.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I can't wait to get my hands on the Phabulous Phantom, and coming from Heatblur will make it all the sweeter. Now if only we can get an FAA FGR.2 as part of the "phamily" (and an Ark Royal to go with it?)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Release the QRF-4C, heatblur. You cowards.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hour long DCS mission doesn't spawn tanker due to bug, lets me land on carrier with 200lbs fuel left :shepface:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm excited for the F4 if for nothing other than Vietnam era scenarios.

Looking forward to 50% of my missiles just falling off the rails and switching to guns.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Ice Fist posted:

I'm excited for the F4 if for nothing other than Vietnam era scenarios.

Looking forward to 50% of my missiles just falling off the rails and switching to guns.

I mean, the freeware A-4 Skyhawk is pretty fuckin good. Plus, there's a "vietnam" style server up for it. It'll be cool with a Phantom as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
finally, phantom targets for my migs
:getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaagAmLYSlU&t=103s

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ll buy the f4

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/291784-frequently-asked-questions-the-dcs-f-4-phantom-by-heatblur-simulations/

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions: The DCS: F-4 Phantom
by Heatblur Simulations

Q: When will the DCS: F-4 Phantom by Heatblur Simulations release?
A: DCS: F-4E has been in development for some time and will be released later in 2022. Stay tuned for our full unveiling closer to launch day!

Q: What variants will the Heatblur F-4 Phantom include?
A: The first release will be DCS: F-4E, the iconic land based variant of the Phantom. We will be launching two variants of the -E; a “classic era” F-4E (blocks 36-45 with updates retrofitted in 1974 and before, including new slats, DSCG and AGM-65) as well as an upgraded (DMAS) version of the aircraft in one package.

Q: Will there be a Navy F-4?
A: Yes! Our Phantom journey only begins with the -E. However, owing to the complexity of the work and investment of time and effort, it will not be included in the DCS: F-4E product. We’re instead choosing to focus on providing the most content rich F-4E we possibly can, and then set our sights on further telling the legendary story of the F-4.

Q: Will the Heatblur F-4 Phantom released as Early Access?
A: The F-4E will be released as Early Access first. Much like the F-14 Tomcat, we plan on releasing it as feature complete as we can, including Singleplayer and Multicrew capability, a WSO-AI, an elaborate Flight Model, functioning cockpits and instruments, the main set of air to ground and air to air weapons such as sidewinders, sparrrows, mavericks, laser guided bombs, dumb bombs, a gun and of course a fully functional radar, avionics suite and F-4 specific systems that will help you dominate the battlefields of its time. As usual it will come chock-full of content, including training missions, Singleplayer missions, Multiplayer scenarios and of course, more than one campaign.

Q: Will it come with Multicrew capability and a WSO AI?
A: From day one you will be able to enjoy the F-4 with full multicrew functionality and with the JESTER-AI, tailored to the needs and capabilities of the F-4 Phantom.

Q: Why won’t all variants be part of one module?
A: The investment of time and effort to do the Navy and Marine Corps versions of the F-4 justice makes it unrealistic for us to include everything in one package. We want to make sure to tell the story of each Phantom variant chosen in the most content rich and appropriate way possible, while making sure that we stay a thriving and viable team. We’ll share more details on our plans with regards to variant additions to the F-4 later, but we remain steadfastly committed to ensuring that we are fair to our beloved community and supporters.

Q: Why does the announcement come so early?
A: We initially wanted to keep things a secret until we were just about ready to release, but the volume of interest and questions about the F-4 made that quite impossible! Hopefully you enjoyed the announcement trailer, even if short- stay tuned for our full unveiling closer to release day. We’re excited about you all being a part of the Phantom journey

Q: When will you share more?
A: As the development of the module continues, we will try to be as transparent as possible and include you as much as we can, sharing the different stages of the development as well as exploring this phabulous aircraft together with you all.

Q: What about the Eurofighter, the A-6E, F-14 and Viggen? Are you biting off too much?
A: The Heatblur team has never grown nor been more capable than it is today. The trust you put in us is absolutely sacred, and the announcement of the F-4 has no bearing on the steadfast commitment to continued progress on existing and other future modules. The F-4 has been under active development since early 2021, and our roadmap, including the Eurofighter and other future modules was created in this context.

With an ever expanding portfolio, it is important for us to ensure that we will not let up on maintaining our high standards for all of our modules, released or yet to be released. Per astra ad aspera, upwards and onwards, with our partners at Eagle Dynamics we plan to continue on pushing boundaries as long as we stand and could not be more excited about both present and future.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions: The DCS: F-4 Phantom
by Heatblur Simulations

Q: When will the DCS: F-4 Phantom by Heatblur Simulations release?
A: DCS: F-4E has been in development for some time and will be released later in 2022. Stay tuned for our full unveiling closer to launch day!

Q: What variants will the Heatblur F-4 Phantom include?
A: The first release will be DCS: F-4E, the iconic land based variant of the Phantom. We will be launching two variants of the -E; a “classic era” F-4E (blocks 36-45 with updates retrofitted in 1974 and before, including new slats, DSCG and AGM-65) as well as an upgraded (DMAS) version of the aircraft in one package.

A: Yes! Our Phantom journey only begins with the -E. However, owing to the complexity of the work and investment of time and effort, it will not be included in the DCS: F-4E product. We’re instead choosing to focus on providing the most content rich F-4E we possibly can, and then set our sights on further telling the legendary story of the F-4.

Q: Will the Heatblur F-4 Phantom released as Early Access?
A: The F-4E will be released as Early Access first. Much like the F-14 Tomcat, we plan on releasing it as feature complete as we can, including Singleplayer and Multicrew capability, a WSO-AI, an elaborate Flight Model, functioning cockpits and instruments, the main set of air to ground and air to air weapons such as sidewinders, sparrrows, mavericks, laser guided bombs, dumb bombs, a gun and of course a fully functional radar, avionics suite and F-4 specific systems that will help you dominate the battlefields of its time. As usual it will come chock-full of content, including training missions, Singleplayer missions, Multiplayer scenarios and of course, more than one campaign.

Q: Will it come with Multicrew capability and a WSO AI?
A: From day one you will be able to enjoy the F-4 with full multicrew functionality and with the JESTER-AI, tailored to the needs and capabilities of the F-4 Phantom.

Q: Why won’t all variants be part of one module?
A: The investment of time and effort to do the Navy and Marine Corps versions of the F-4 justice makes it unrealistic for us to include everything in one package. We want to make sure to tell the story of each Phantom variant chosen in the most content rich and appropriate way possible, while making sure that we stay a thriving and viable team. We’ll share more details on our plans with regards to variant additions to the F-4 later, but we remain steadfastly committed to ensuring that we are fair to our beloved community and supporters.

Q: Why does the announcement come so early?
A: We initially wanted to keep things a secret until we were just about ready to release, but the volume of interest and questions about the F-4 made that quite impossible! Hopefully you enjoyed the announcement trailer, even if short- stay tuned for our full unveiling closer to release day. We’re excited about you all being a part of the Phantom journey

Q: When will you share more?
A: As the development of the module continues, we will try to be as transparent as possible and include you as much as we can, sharing the different stages of the development as well as exploring this phabulous aircraft together with you all.

Q: What about the Eurofighter, the A-6E, F-14 and Viggen? Are you biting off too much?
A: The Heatblur team has never grown nor been more capable than it is today. The trust you put in us is absolutely sacred, and the announcement of the F-4 has no bearing on the steadfast commitment to continued progress on existing and other future modules. The F-4 has been under active development since early 2021, and our roadmap, including the Eurofighter and other future modules was created in this context.

With an ever expanding portfolio, it is important for us to ensure that we will not let up on maintaining our high standards for all of our modules, released or yet to be released. Per astra ad aspera, upwards and onwards, with our partners at Eagle Dynamics we plan to continue on pushing boundaries as long as we stand and could not be more excited about both present and future.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

A: Yes! Our Phantom journey only begins with the -E. However, owing to the complexity of the work and investment of time and effort, it will not be included in the DCS: F-4E product.

if this means the F-4 carrier variant is a separate purchase, I'm going to get on a plane to Poland and put a bag of flaming dog poop on their front porch

e: i guess it does. now i have to get a flight to poland. why couldn't they release the carrier version first? ughhh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 26, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

if this means the F-4 carrier variant is a separate purchase, I'm going to get on a plane to Poland and put a bag of flaming dog poop on their front porch

e: i guess it does. now i have to get a flight to poland. why couldn't they release the carrier version first? ughhh

Just invite them to the US and hope that they get arrested for plane spionage due to their dev work

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
F-14, A-6, and F-4?

Just gonna send all my money to Heatblur I guess.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Possibly as simple as the launch system in DCS being incompatible with the bridle system used on the F-4. It might be reliant on ED changing core sim stuff. And we know how that works…

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don't mind paying for two sufficiently different variants of the F-4 as long as they are not $70 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Animal posted:

I don't mind paying for two sufficiently different variants of the F-4 as long as they are not $70 each.

Well then I have great news for you!

They'll probably be $80