Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The NEC predictably did not vote to readmit Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Terror Threat: More Images of Boris Johnson Could be Released Imminently

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I prefer the trashfuture version, "It's poo poo, it's supposed to be poo poo, and if you don't like it you can gently caress off."

That's kinda the thing though isn't it. Basically everything you look at genuinely could be and is worse in comparable but, crucially, different countries.

We have a right that dreams of making the UK more like the US economically, or France in terms of policing etc, etc, etc...

We have a bunch of liberals who look at things and say regardless of what policing bill, tax on existing while poor, whatever... "at least we aren't those places"

And lastly we have a bunch of accelerationists on the left who say "things are bad so gently caress it we might as well be those places so we should never compromise with the liberals" without any imagination for just how "it could be worse" and for how long (i'm looking at you, thread/ trash future etc).

I don't really have a point... if I do it's that things like breaking up the NHS, the policing bill, poo poo like that are worth fighting. It may be way too late, but whatever comes next will be worse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the liberals want all of those things too so that is a quite major reason why people don't want to compromise with them. There is no significant UK political party that doesn't love cops and privatisation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1486022592146333699?t=WiiXAsn83yhBvmyLNGEgfg&s=19

I'm fairly sure we've had this convergence of topics on here before but it's bizarre to see it in the wild.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I mean she's not wrong but Jack Monroe is also The Worst.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Skulker posted:

This seems a weird thing to post with no clarification?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

From the country that bought you the triangular trade, Jimmy Saville and Prevent, it turns out that it couldn't "be worse" after all because that title goes to Jack Monroe. :allears:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skulker posted:

Um, why? I've never heard anything bad about them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's German for "The Sausage, the"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1486022592146333699?t=WiiXAsn83yhBvmyLNGEgfg&s=19

I'm fairly sure we've had this convergence of topics on here before but it's bizarre to see it in the wild.

differential measures of inflation were a big topic in the 1970s and 1980s - e.g. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3549409

(as a kind of defensive position taken as the keynesian focus on wage-price spirals ceded ground)

it's kind of odd to see it return after so long

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It has always lurked in the background everywhere that a Freddo is sold.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'm more annoyed that the Vimes "boots" theory is basically about credit rather than inflation. Vime's boots are cheaper now but more expensive over time. That's the whole point!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's German for "The Sausage, the"

I tried not to laugh I really did, but I failed.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ronya posted:

I'm more annoyed that the Vimes "boots" theory is basically about credit rather than inflation. Vime's boots are cheaper now but more expensive over time. That's the whole point!

The overall point of her initial thread was that supermarkets were deliberately targeting price rises in basics ranges to keep attractive ‘two can dine for £10’ end aisle style deals feasible. So it still fits in the socioeconomic unfairness bracket imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

It's more a rehashing of the "it's expensive to be poor" tale from The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists. Which I suppose could be retold as a parable about access to consumer credit in that they could have got the good clothes if they'd a Mastercard and a repayment plan, but that wasn't the point being made in 1914 (all aside from whether cheap consumer credit is a good replacement for universal/community services and wealth equality or not).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Boris loyalist just said this on C4
https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1486054586527985666

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cake with "You have to be happy every birthday, we only have to be happy once." on it.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Necrothatcher posted:

Um, why? I've never heard anything bad about them.

If I recall they have done some some 'Corbyn is divisive, IRA apologist, secret antisemite, magic grandpa cult' tweets. Which mostly means they're fully capable of blindly repeating the general media consensus on a topic - while fighting passionately in their own field but somehow not quite getting that these are all the same fight.

I would expect better from a professional campaigner, in terms of general thinking about where their campaign fits into all the other problems in society- and generating a cohesive world view from that. But then being British starts people off with a level of crushing servility, and then hanging in circles with guardian journalists telling you that you and your work is 'so good and important dear' can only compound that.

If I remember she had a chat to Corbyn at some point later, and if not apologized, was quite a bit more chill afterwards, and later exchanges were positive. I don't think that makes them histories greatest monster, but then liberal brain rot infests our upper classes and infects even the best of us, so I am down with calling it out when it happens and then forgiving where forgiveness is sought. Turning to celebrity campaigners to fix things, is way more a sign of how dysfunctional our society has become, than a sign that they are great people as individuals anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol there's your headline.

By this time tomorrow there'll be photo evidence of Boris and Princes Andrew and Philip in No.10 loving a big birthday cake

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Andy will not gently caress a cake with too many candles on it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Andy will not gently caress a cake with too many candles on it.

Smart tbh, those things are pointy and on fire

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The follow up to "ambushed by a cake" is even stupider - Cathy Newman asks "aren't all these defences just farcical?" and Burns replies "but he's out leader!" with a fully slack jaw

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SmartCircleComm/status/1486054427102523400
:allears:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

As far as I can see when I look at him he's been ambushed with quite a lot of cake.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
And it was his wife (version 5?) That did the cake ambush.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Heh wordplay

https://twitter.com/John_Cotter/status/1486067176603885571?t=OuZFbCc-biAP1FzjABQaMA&s=19

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

bessantj posted:

As far as I can see when I look at him he's been ambushed with quite a lot of cake.

david amess tried to warn us

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
we all know who's behind the cake ambush

Jeremy Corbyn's cat, El Gateau

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/stephenpaton134/status/1486001519291940874?s=21

Periodic reminder that the Labour Party is stuffed to the brim with garbage people

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1486071497655472129

Wonder if Newsnight will sacrifice a chicken to the elder gods for some insight into tomorrow's political developments

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 25, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Desiderata posted:

If I recall they have done some some 'Corbyn is divisive, IRA apologist, secret antisemite, magic grandpa cult' tweets. Which mostly means they're fully capable of blindly repeating the general media consensus on a topic - while fighting passionately in their own field but somehow not quite getting that these are all the same fight.
If we threw out everyone who had ever been critical of Corbyn ever, that just means nobody leaves the room alive. I've criticised Corbyn before. Bunch of people here have. But the difference is as you said, they later met with Corbyn and turned it round.

I mean calling them 'the worst' in a landscape that includes Rachel Riley and Tracy Oberman seems a bit over the top.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of the recent trashfuture episodes was taking the piss out of how the parties seem to be the thing that's cutting through. But I think the thing they were underestimating is that there seem to be a lot of apocyphal stories about people not being allowed in the room to see dying relatives, or missing family birthdays, births, funerals etc and it's that which is being compared to Boris attending multiple parties.

Like they aren't wrong - one peculiarity of the British psyche is being enraged at anyone who has it better than you; and rather than wanting the same, wanting the other to be dragged back into the bucket with everyone else. But this feels like something else. This feels like it's motivated by a genuine distaste for hypocrisy.

I mean I wasn't able to fly back to see my Mum before she died (of cancer) in 2020, but I'm not especially enraged by the news of the party stuff since I was working on the assumption that all of them in the establishment and press were all completely massive cunts and hypocrites and were breaking the rules throughout already. Also I could have just broken the rules myself and done it, but I chose not to, out of social responsibility. I didn't want to think that I could possibly have spread covid to somebody who could die from it (or who would pass it onto somebody else etc. ultimately ending in one or multiple deaths).

I can see how, if you were the sort of person who had any kind of faith in political systems left and/or you thought that to at least some tiny extent that the Tories and/or Boris was "doing their best" to protect the country or anything like that, that this may come as a massive shock to you and cut through all the bullshit, though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Theres plenty of room in the worst category

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh god, this boot-licking dolt is my MP.

Still, it is Burns night...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: The press statement is almost definitely a fake. I've not seen anyone else mention this, and can't find the original tweet I stole the image from. I think someone was trying to troll GB News. I've removed the embed from this post.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 26, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Britain wherein we are cursed for it always to be happening but never for it to happen.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Happening status: It's

So he can nicely front-load any coverage of the story with the help of planted questions.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The report wouldn’t be being released at all if the findings were anything substantive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

please await the sue gray report