Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Loucks posted:

If you try to wear real respiratory protection they throw you off the flight though.

You can get nuisance relief (but not actual protection) from organic vapors in disposable filtering facepiece respirators.

3M sells one valveless model in the U.S, the 8247.

EU/AU/NZ get the 9913.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I got on a flight from Miami to Chicago and someone in front of me was wearing entirely too much perfume (any on a flight is too much) and I had a terrible headache within the first hour.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Platystemon posted:

You can get nuisance relief (but not actual protection) from organic vapors in disposable filtering facepiece respirators.

3M sells one valveless model in the U.S, the 8247.

EU/AU/NZ get the 9913.

Interesting. I didn’t know they made nuisance disposables. R95 is still better than the surgical and cloth bullshit people seem to rely on while traveling commercial. Still, won’t be setting foot on a commercial aircraft again until my P100 mask won’t get me hassled.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a small number of N100 disposables (3M 8233, Honeywell and Moldex also make some) that, though valved, are likely to fly if covered with a surgical mask. It’s always up to crew discretion, but all the anecdotes I’ve heard are positive.

Failing that, I have valveless N99s. I wouldn’t actually downgrade to R95 in order to block fish aroma, not in a pandemic.

I expect I’ll be wearing some sort of respirator aboard a plane for the rest of my life, though, and if the worst thing I’m likely to run into is influenza, maybe then R95 would be acceptable.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

^ post/avatar :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It has aged like fine wine since July.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

Now do ships

The rats nest was invented for ships in the first place. To take a very simple example, the idea of registering ships in Liberia was *ahem* originally to enable American slave ships to claim they weren't American and therefore British privateers couldn't board and claim them during that fun period where there was still money in slaves but also money in taking the slave ships. This is the origin of the "flag of convenience" but that convenience didn't just extend to protection of nationality, it could also mean freedom from certain taxes in various jurisdictions and this idea caught on. The financial arrangements are the complex side of all this so you can imagine how Byzantine it would be by now. Suffice to say, when a ship is lost, it's an argument between a bank and an insurance company and the ships owner's do their best to look sad about it.

The company that owns the ship will be somewhere for tax reasons, Liberia or Panama. Their headquarters might be the US. The ship itself might be registered somewhere depending on what its trade is, it's not always the same place. Cruise ships are often registered in Bermuda, the biggest container ships are invariably Panama or Liberia although there are some Hong Kong-registered ones in there. For instance, Ever Genius, the biggest container ship in the world, is registered in Panama, flies the Panamanian flag, but is owned by Marugame, a Japanese corporation.

The first thing they do is lease it to another company for actual operations since this is a capital asset that's depreciating and has to work immediately. It's that company that has to spend the bucks to pay another company to hire a crew and feed and pay them, pay a shipping agent to arrange cargo contracts, and of course insure all this to protect themselves if anything goes wrong, because no one is going to look after their interests! It's also this company's problem to deal with the maintenance schedule which will undoubtedly involve other companies because, like aircraft engines, ship engines are not simple things, they're reliable and loving huge but if they break it's very very bad.

There is so much more to this but you get the gist. Ships are big expensive things that have a working life of maybe 20 years if you're lucky and I have no idea how profitable they are because the financial side is voodoo economics.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Last time I flew before Covid this mom and kid sat in front of us and proceeded to eat pickled eggs off and on for most of a 3 hour flight.

The smell was almost gaggingly nauseous, but I'm glad I wasn't with them for 3 hours after because that probably would have been worse.

Are you sure this happened? I'm thinking this is your subconscious paving over a less worse memory by accident

I really don't see brains covering up something more traumatic, unless you live in the saw movie franchise

Given how many different entities there are, all needing to make profit, how is this rat's nest more efficent than a more consolidated approach? Is it just hyperspecialzation up the rear end producing efficiency?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nebakenezzer posted:

Given how many different entities there are, all needing to make profit, how is this rat's nest more efficent than a more consolidated approach? Is it just hyperspecialzation up the rear end producing efficiency?

Issues of cheapness aside, it can provide legal protection in case something happens, which itself can be a huge cost. You see it a lot in general aviation: create an LLC whose sole purpose is to own the plane you want, and now you’re personally protected from any legal claims that arise from the plane. Same thing with big boats, just on a much much bigger scale. There’s an episode of West Wing that’s pretty much about this… big boat crashes causing environmental catastrophe, but the owners of the boat can’t be touched because they don’t actually own it.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ewe2 posted:

The rats nest was invented for ships in the first place. To take a very simple example, the idea of registering ships in Liberia was *ahem* originally to enable American slave ships to claim they weren't American and therefore British privateers couldn't board and claim them during that fun period where there was still money in slaves but also money in taking the slave ships. This is the origin of the "flag of convenience" but that convenience didn't just extend to protection of nationality, it could also mean freedom from certain taxes in various jurisdictions and this idea caught on. The financial arrangements are the complex side of all this so you can imagine how Byzantine it would be by now. Suffice to say, when a ship is lost, it's an argument between a bank and an insurance company and the ships owner's do their best to look sad about it.

The company that owns the ship will be somewhere for tax reasons, Liberia or Panama. Their headquarters might be the US. The ship itself might be registered somewhere depending on what its trade is, it's not always the same place. Cruise ships are often registered in Bermuda, the biggest container ships are invariably Panama or Liberia although there are some Hong Kong-registered ones in there. For instance, Ever Genius, the biggest container ship in the world, is registered in Panama, flies the Panamanian flag, but is owned by Marugame, a Japanese corporation.

The first thing they do is lease it to another company for actual operations since this is a capital asset that's depreciating and has to work immediately. It's that company that has to spend the bucks to pay another company to hire a crew and feed and pay them, pay a shipping agent to arrange cargo contracts, and of course insure all this to protect themselves if anything goes wrong, because no one is going to look after their interests! It's also this company's problem to deal with the maintenance schedule which will undoubtedly involve other companies because, like aircraft engines, ship engines are not simple things, they're reliable and loving huge but if they break it's very very bad.

There is so much more to this but you get the gist. Ships are big expensive things that have a working life of maybe 20 years if you're lucky and I have no idea how profitable they are because the financial side is voodoo economics.

Also, in Russia "occasionally" (read-nearly always) you have to register your Boeing aircraft in Bermuda so that the government can't just repossess them when they feel like it.

I'm not sure why Alitalia had so many registered in Ireland, though. Presumably tax dodging.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ewe2 posted:

The rats nest was invented for ships in the first place. To take a very simple example, the idea of registering ships in Liberia was *ahem* originally to enable American slave ships to claim they weren't American and therefore British privateers couldn't board and claim them during that fun period where there was still money in slaves but also money in taking the slave ships. This is the origin of the "flag of convenience" but that convenience didn't just extend to protection of nationality, it could also mean freedom from certain taxes in various jurisdictions and this idea caught on.

Then a pandemic hits and because the big brain president doesn't want number go up they tell literal boatloads of American tourists from Miami to "lol go sail back to Liberia".

brains
May 12, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

If I could boy-in-a-bubble it, though, an Italian hoagie from the White House in Atlantic City would be my in-flight meal of choice.

there's no way such a thing fits inside the carryon dimensions

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not an un-cut whole, true.

But they’ll cut a whole into quarters for you. Also will do ‘fisherman-style’ where they bag the lettuce, tomato & onion / peppers separately so the Formica bread doesn’t get soggy.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Formica bread

wtf

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Someone in Quito's in trouble: https://onemileatatime.com/news/quito-air-traffic-control-audio/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Here's the VASAviation video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js5nEzjLOy8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He does sound drunk alright.

What's the differential diagnosis, though? I remember a few years back there was that poor lady controller at Las Vegas who everyone on frequency thought was drunk at first, but it turned out she was having a stroke.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hypoglycemia can do that too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I never found any conclusive followup to the Vegas controller besides supposition. If there's an article out there I'd love to know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I recall an article saying that she resigned shortly after the incident, and that plus no public report from the FAA suggests to me that it was a medical emergency, and likely something that made her permanently unable to serve as an ATC. An incapacitating stroke of unknown etiology fits the bill.

I'm pretty sure that if she had just been drunk on the job (etc) they would have published some sort of incident report, whether or not she resigned before they fired her and revoked her license.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There’s migraines and other things that can cause you to slur like you’re having a stroke too. All of them would mean losing an FAA medical.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I did see she resigned. So probably medical and better not to intrude on her privacy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

^^^ if memory serves, it was something stroke-like. ^^^

Sorry.

The White House hoagies are outstanding, and the bread puts them over the top. They've been using the same bakery, Formica's, since the sub shop opened in 1946: https://formicasbakery.com/ which is across Arctic Ave, three doors down.

They bring the rolls across the street in a shopping cart a few times a day.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 24, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Dangit now I need an excuse to go to AC because that all sounds amazing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Also, in Russia "occasionally" (read-nearly always) you have to register your Boeing aircraft in Bermuda so that the government can't just repossess them when they feel like it.

I'm not sure why Alitalia had so many registered in Ireland, though. Presumably tax dodging.

I should point out that generally ships these days really don't have the lifespan of aircraft, their turnover seems to be actually increasing with size. 50 years ago a general cargo ship might expect a lifetime of between 30-40 years, such was the improvement in building technology and general seaworthiness of postwar maritime shipyards. But, as usual, the economics disagreed with this picture which is why we're seeing perfectly good ships going to the scrapyards within as little as 15 years in some cases.

Because the shipping industry obviously isn't structured the same way as the aero industry, it's not like hand-me-down ships are sold to another country or a cheap shipping line. Instead, ship brokers maintain a stable of ships for charter purposes and dispose of the least productive ones. Ship brokers aren't all the same, it's a very specialized field, some only do sale & purchase, some only charter for specific types of ship.

And it's partly the effect of that specialization that is shortening the lifespan of ships, they're 100% utilized from day 1 and economically the point at which serious maintenance is required is when the scrapyard calls. I suspect that's due either to the engine or possibly the stress to which the whole frame has been subjected to by constant sea journeys and the insurer won't pay out after a specified linit, who knows.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I am totally naive to the world of aircraft registration and strong arm governments, and I might be going out on a limb, but I would be surprised if the Russian government would really give two shits of where an AC is registered if they decided to seize it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Derail, but I wonder what the hull cost to mechanics cost is part of what drives the scrap call. Too expensive to retrofit/upgrade vs. make new.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I recall an article saying that she resigned shortly after the incident, and that plus no public report from the FAA suggests to me that it was a medical emergency, and likely something that made her permanently unable to serve as an ATC. An incapacitating stroke of unknown etiology fits the bill.

You don't resign for medical issues...

You can get a medical retirement if you permanently lose your medical but that poo poo takes months.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fknlo posted:

You don't resign for medical issues...

You can get a medical retirement if you permanently lose your medical but that poo poo takes months.

Not sure how the gov't handles it for civilians, but on the military side it can also be revisited and lost later.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pretty sure that dudes an ATC

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

19 year old girl became the youngest woman to circumnavigate the globe by airplane.

And also the first person to do it in an ultralight.

She did it going westbound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zara_Rutherford

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

I am totally naive to the world of aircraft registration and strong arm governments, and I might be going out on a limb, but I would be surprised if the Russian government would really give two shits of where an AC is registered if they decided to seize it.

I think it'd depend on what the reaction was. Anyplace that might arbitrarily seize foreign aircraft is not a place that's going to get much foreign aircraft.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Kilonum posted:

19 year old girl became the youngest woman to circumnavigate the globe by airplane.

Not a US ultralight though. The shark has >1000lb gross.

I suppose that was obvious to everyone else. Doing it in a Part 103 ultralight seems suicidal.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Kilonum posted:

Seems risky to do it in a VFR-only plane, but hopefully that also discourages get-there-itis if she's taking her time hopping the globe and can wait out weather.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Loucks posted:

Not a US ultralight though. The shark has >1000lb gross.

I suppose that was obvious to everyone else. Doing it in a Part 103 ultralight seems suicidal.

It is a US LSA though and while not quite suicidal it does not sound pleasant.

Is anywhere reporting the route? I didn't see any on quick glance.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Yeah, definitely LSA. The Shark seems like a cool little aircraft, but in my experience every kitplane sounds amazing on paper.

e: Oh it’s not a kitplane. My bad. I’ve been looking at projects and just assumed.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 25, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ewe2 posted:

Not very, simply because it’s a commodity industry. The customer doesn’t give a poo poo if the ship carrying his cargo is blue or black or yellow. The market is quoted on a daily basis by, for example, the Baltic Exchange. Looking at last Friday’s weekly report (it’s free!), a 33,000 DWT empty in Denmark contracted out to carry grain from France to west Africa for $20,000 a day. This is a time charter equivalent rate, so net of fuel costs, port fees, pilotage, etc.

So let’s say the voyage takes about 28 days, because we know there’s not a lot of cargos coming out of west Africa, we need to ballast from Denmark and we’re probably gonna need to reposition to the next cargo. That’s 28*$20,000 = $560,000

Then looking at fuel, I’m ballparking 20 tons a day at sea, works out to roughly $318,000

Port fees I’m going to go for 25k both end cause I can’t be arsed to check so call it 50,000, that’s a total cost of $928,000 for the voyage, or roughly $29,94 per ton.

(This is all publicly available info)

Ok so how much does it cost to run a ship? Well according to Stopford’s Maritime Economics, 3rd edition, page 227, a five year old Cape size bulker cost about $4,685 per day to operate, let’s adjust that for inflation to $7,000 per day. The ship size doesn’t have much of an impact in this case.

Capital costs are a bit trickier but let’s say a 20 million dollar ship with a 25 year lifespan financed at 5%, call it $5,400 per day. So right now, the contributing margin of the ship at 20k per day is 20k - $7,000 - $5,400 = $7,600 contributing margin per day. They’re making out pretty good these days.

Of course if I go back a year, that same ship was renting out for about $15,000 per day. Whoops.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Most of the entities are ultimately either owned by the same people, or their financiers. If you look at American ships, a lot of them are officially owned by banks or insurance companies; I’m much the same way the bank owns part of my car.

So there’s two things at play that make it worth it:
A) the asset being legally in a jurisdiction that allows you to not pay taxes and hire cheaper labor, and / or
B) the asset being owned by financier makes it so the operating entity doesn’t have to cough up a significant chunk of cash at the outset.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Is anywhere reporting the route? I didn't see any on quick glance.

Found her website. It has a rough map, and maybe more if you dig around.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Loucks posted:

Found her website. It has a rough map, and maybe more if you dig around.

https://flyzolo.com/route/
It has a very detailed map in fact. And yes she did go through Alaska to Siberia and while not in the summer it was in the fall which still isn't the greatest. This part of the itinerary would indicate she was about what I'd expect for that time of year... ("operation miffy" was having someone else get her passport back to the russian consulate in anchorage because her visa had expired already and she needed another, miffy is a stuffed animal that they took pictures of with the package https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=565616314709753 )
code:
29/9/2021 USA              YAKUTAT            PAYA  DEPARTED                                
 29/9/2021 USA              ANCHORAGE          PAMR  DEPARTED                                
 30/9/2021 USA              NOME               94Z   DEPARTED                                
 1/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 2/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 3/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 4/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 5/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 6/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 7/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 8/10/2021 OPERATION MIFFY                                                                   
 9/10/2021 MAINTENANCE                                                                       
10/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
11/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
12/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
13/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
14/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
15/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
16/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
17/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
18/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
19/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
20/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
21/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
22/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
23/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
24/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
25/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
26/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
27/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
28/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
29/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
30/10/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 1/11/2021 RUSSIA           ANADYR             UHMA  DEPARTED                                
 2/11/2021 RUSSIA           MAGADAN            UHMM  DEPARTED                                
 3/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 4/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 5/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 6/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 7/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 8/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 9/11/2021 RUSSIA           AYAN               UHNA  DEPARTED                                
10/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
11/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
12/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
13/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
14/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
15/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
16/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
17/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
18/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
19/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
20/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
21/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
22/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
23/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
24/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
25/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
26/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
27/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
28/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
29/11/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
30/11/2021 RUSSIA           KHABAROVSK         UHHH  DEPARTED                                
 1/12/2021 REST DAY                                                                          
 2/12/2021 RUSSIA           VLADIVOSTOK        UHWW  DEPARTED                                
 3/12/2021 MAINTENANCE                                                                       
 4/12/2021 REST DAY                                                                          
 5/12/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 6/12/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 7/12/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 8/12/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
 9/12/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
10/12/2021 DELAYED                                                                           
11/12/2021 SOUTH KOREA      GIMPO              RKSS  DEPARTED   

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Regarding masks on planes, it is ridiculous as an adult to be unable to wear a mask for the duration of a typical flight other than when eating or drinking. That is true on the one hand.

On the other hand it is still very annoying, and more importantly utterly useless at controlling the spread of a disease that is approximately as infectious as measles. A disease which is already everywhere, which you can just as easily pick up at the airport bar where masks are not required, and which is also not dangerous anymore to anyone who is vaccinated. (Granted, probably many people losing their poo poo are not vaccinated, but that is their problem and you could require that instead.) Besides which most people wear masks that are almost entirely ineffective anyway. I have some amount of sympathy to people who are frustrated at the fact that the mask mandate has been repeatedly extended despite its clear pointlessness and massive public opposition to continuing costly and inconvenient non-pharmaceutical interventions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)