Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes they seem to do quite well but I've definitely seen them just standing there or seemingly not reacting to being meleed while in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think it's in the ai's best interest overall to play prevent defense and cover as many areas as possible, so they can attrit with towers and blockers. I imagine that's probably some of what's going on

Also in general in Total War sometimes the ai will be thinking "I dont have the tools to respond to this" and will do nothing which to the player looks like being braindead (and also sometimes the AI is wrong which muddies the waters)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“Why don’t they just attack” I ask as my peasant archers gat down an enemy king in Medieval 2

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've been pleasantly surprised by the AI in the settlement battles that I've seen, that one Legend of Total War video of the Cathay map AI doing nothing was concerning

Also the Kislev overworld and battle maps look fantastic :allears:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Something I've liked the look of as well is how many minor armies you fight in the field as well. Since every settlements is more of an elaborate thing now, it's nice to still have fights in the open.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
So wait, will there be six Chaos factions eventually (the four Gods, Daemons and WoC) or is WoC being folded into the new Daemons faction? If not, that would seem to make WoC even lamer than they are now. There's nothing to make them more compelling to play than the other five imo.

As far as lore goes, were WoC just mortals or did they have daemons in their forces?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

WoC are their own faction on the new map, notably they can hold settlements and start off holding areas north of Norsca.

No idea about when or if they'll be playable or if they'll get a rework

chaleski fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 25, 2022

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Have any streamers taken time to check out those WoC settlements? As in, gotten close enough to see what buildings they have in their slots and what effects they provide?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I imagine they probably aren't allowed to show them off yet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Daemons of Chaos is Daemons + some mortals. Warriors of Chaos is mortals + some daemons, I'd imagine. WoC have their own stuff, like Dragon Ogres, Chosen, etc. I doubt they're gonna get folded into any faction, especially considering Monogods and DoC both coexist in 3.

Both Norsca and WoC are bound to get reworked during 3's lifespan. The fact WoC are a settled faction now indicates that they've gotten at least some improvements.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I would like to play tw3

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I've just started using the Allied Auxiliaries mod (which, amazingly, seems to have been implemented as a standard feature of 3 now) and I'm looking for lore-friendly combinations of units between factions. I know very little about the lore outside the game, but here's what I've come up with:

Vampire Counts:
Empire (maybe Vlad only)
Vampire Coast
Greenskins (Azhag alliance only?)

Dwarfs:
Empire

Wood Elves:
High Elves

Warriors of Chaos:
Beastmen
Norsca
Skaven
Greenskins?

Dark Elves:
High Elves (Malekith only, after Ulthuan is retaken?)

There's a few more obvious ones. I'm wondering about the following:

Would any other faction conceivably field Lizardmen in their armies, assuming they were allied? Skaven would probably only serve in a Chaos army, right? Would Morathi field Chaos warriors? Who would the Tomb Kings ally with? What about Bretonnia, would they feasibly loan knights to the Empire, or Dwarfs?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Zore posted:

I imagine they probably aren't allowed to show them off yet.

This is the answer. Embargos and NDAs likely preventing all of this from coming out immediately. Hell, we haven't heard anything about Boris despite people having the build, because he's likely still under embargo. They're going to provide a steady dripfeed of info over the next few weeks.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I only play Chaos factions because Chaos is BAD rear end!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Disillusionist posted:

I've just started using the Allied Auxiliaries mod (which, amazingly, seems to have been implemented as a standard feature of 3 now) and I'm looking for lore-friendly combinations of units between factions. I know very little about the lore outside the game, but here's what I've come up with:

Vampire Counts:
Empire (maybe Vlad only)
Vampire Coast
Greenskins (Azhag alliance only?)

Dwarfs:
Empire

Wood Elves:
High Elves

Warriors of Chaos:
Beastmen
Norsca
Skaven
Greenskins?

Dark Elves:
High Elves (Malekith only, after Ulthuan is retaken?)

Would any other faction conceivably field Lizardmen in their armies, assuming they were allied? Skaven would probably only serve in a Chaos army, right? Would Morathi field Chaos warriors? Who would the Tomb Kings ally with? What about Bretonnia, would they feasibly loan knights to the Empire, or Dwarfs?

Chaos and Greenskins don't really mesh, Greenskins would rather fight them because they are fun to fight.

Tomb Kings could feasibly help anyone but Vampires or Chaos, Arkhan would help Vampires.

Bretonnia is close to the Empire and other Order factions and WE have helped them out in occasion.

IIRC WE don't care about the High/Dark divide.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Disillusionist posted:

Morathi has a built in skill that gives +30 relations with Norsca and +10 relations with Beastmen. So that suggests some options. Once you have taken the shrine of Asuryan as a DE you get +100 With High Elves so after that event, you’d expect to be able to recruit ‘em.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Kemmler ended up siding with Chaos, didn't he? It would be fun to field some WoC in his army in a Barrow Legion campaign.

Also, if I go ahead and unlock the Red Duke, would it make sense having Bretonnians in his army?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Disillusionist posted:

Kemmler ended up siding with Chaos, didn't he? It would be fun to field some WoC in his army in a Barrow Legion campaign.

Also, if I go ahead and unlock the Red Duke, would it make sense having Bretonnians in his army?

Yeah Kemmler admits as much in some of his diplomacy dialogs.

And the Endtimes revealed the Red Duke was the son of Louen Leoncouer so yeah he usurps some knights to your side.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dark Elves and Skaven will trade with each other but both also think the others are idiots and they're ripping them off. Thematically you could have some kind of Dark Elf/Skaven slave raiding party or something I dunno.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Triskelli posted:

Yeah Kemmler admits as much in some of his diplomacy dialogs.

And the Endtimes revealed the Red Duke was the son of Louen Leoncouer so yeah he usurps some knights to your side.

How does the End Times get dumber with every new thing I learn about it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm gonna play as dark elves and hire skavenslave auxiliaries so the murder-bar fills up faster

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Generally you can break the various races down into the following groups and lorewise make just about any combination of in either Order or Chaos work together while also having the 'Neutral' races work with anyone.

Order
Empire
Dwarves
Wood Elves
Brettonia
High Elves
Lizardmen
Tomb Kings
Kislev
Cathay

Neutral
Greenskins
Vampire Court
Vampire Coast
Ogres

Chaos
Warriors of Chaos
Demons of Chaos
Norsca
Beastmen
Skaven
Dark Elves

The big exceptions would be generally;

Wood Elves would also potentially work with Dark Elves
Dwarves and Elves probably aren't going to work together without extreme extenuating circumstances
Tomb Kings hate Vampires except for Arkhan
Greenskins are much, much more likely to look for a fight over allying with anyone. But you can probably stretch some auxiliaries as there are Greenskin mercs in the lore
Ogres are really the only race who will work with anyone else

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 26, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tomb Kings and Wood Elves I would push towards neutral.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Hunt11 posted:

Tomb Kings and Wood Elves I would push towards neutral.

Dark elves too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I would like to play tw3

I’m in this post

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Randallteal posted:

Dark elves too.

dark elves are good guys

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Third World Reagan posted:

dark elves are good guys

Malekith is the true Phoenix King and did nothing wrong.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Dark Elves are very direct and honest. High Elves? Can't trust that passive aggressive politicking nonsense.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

High elves are all liars

They don't use slaves, they just use 'forced labor'

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Counts are the quintessential "order, but evil" faction.

One of the "coulda been good" ideas of end times was having the undead be the last line of defence for humanity. The spirits of a thousand generations rise up to defend their descendants from the legions of hell. That could be so fuckin cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Dark elves too.

Yeah I thought they were their own thing. They aren't aligned with Chaos and wouldn't work with them. Morathi is the exception there I think. You might be able to make a case for Norscan allies though.

Aranessa could easily ally with Norsca too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Persons held in service or labor", like the US constitution

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I thought they were their own thing. They aren't aligned with Chaos and wouldn't work with them. Morathi is the exception there I think. You might be able to make a case for Norscan allies though.

Depends if you mean capital-C Chaos or just chaos-aligned dudes. Morathi (depending on edition) and her crew are the explicit daemon worshippers, but they're not going to have qualms about setting some mysteriously green and smelly norscans on a town the way most order factions would.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I mean the only Delf LL who wouldn't willingly work with Chaos is probably Malekith (who is an idiot ignoring the fact his mother has set up a Slannesh cult in the capital).

But let's look at the others;

Morathi- straight up Chaos worshipper
Crone Hellebron- full on Khorne Khaine worshipper who isn't exactly picky about where her pile of sacrifices is coming from
Malus Darkblade- the dude who willingly sought out Chaos for power and is posessed by a demon
Rakarth- Guy who only gives a poo poo about how cool the crazy monsters he can tame are, literally bonded with a dragon over their love of slaughter
Lokhir- idk he's an edgy pirate I guess. Maybe you could put him with Malekith?

Most of them would be or are explicitly on board with Chaos stuff. On balance I think you have more Dark Elf factions who would work with Chaos factions than not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Excuse me human I think you'll find Khaine and the other cytharai are entirely distinct and unrelated to the chaos gods

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
So you're telling me that I, as WoC, should be fielding witch elves and Hydras and poo poo? Sounds good.

So far I've only had a few Warp-Lightning Cannons and the globadier dudes mixed in with my horde, but I'm looking forward to throwing in some Abominations and Rat Ogres too. This mod rules and I'm glad they added a form of it to 3.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Malus didn't seek out the power of Chaos, it's even funnier than that. He put on a ring he found in a shrine. He was probably being influenced by the ring, but the dialogue in the comic when he puts it on is hilarious in an "I'm a genius! Oh no!" sort of way. Malus' entire journey is to try to get the Chaos out of himself, and then to try to get his soul back once he got the Chaos out of himself. It didn't exactly go well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the vortex gives the succ

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
If we were talking about morality I wouldn't put the genocidal lizard fascists on the top rung either. Dark elves get up to some chaotic poo poo but ultimately they mostly end up aligned against Chaos. Hence neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Doesnt she hate Norsca?