Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

"Sorry honey, ever since you cost your dad his livelihood we just can't afford you anymore"

Do they even have to take her back? It sounds like they both got dinged with child endangerment charges and the dad is turbofucked so can't she just say "No you can't come back"?

What is the outcome, she complains to the CPS that her parents won't take her back, the same parents she sent to jail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pentyne posted:

Do they even have to take her back? It sounds like they both got dinged with child endangerment charges and the dad is turbofucked so can't she just say "No you can't come back"?

What is the outcome, she complains to the CPS that her parents won't take her back, the same parents she sent to jail?

she can pull similar crap on grandma, become a ward of the state and get sent to one of those group homes with hard-rear end street kids and psychos who set their parents on fire who will proceed to kick her rear end on a daily basis once they find out she's just a brat who narced on her parents

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

pentyne posted:

On the subject of surstromming and food chat in general, a big thing with a lot of these delicacies is you have to eat/prepare it certain ways or it just sucks. Vegemite has gone from the classic disgusting weird Aussie food to the big "you aren't eating it right" thing on social media.

Oh like this?

https://youtu.be/P_sUhTWtvG4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tenkaris posted:

I’m with you that I don’t like trying to pick apart sauce covered crab, but this is definitely a thing in certain places. I know that Baltimore for example has a big love for crab boil and popular potato chips flavored like old bay crab seasoning.

They boil the crab in a bag with the sauce, seasoning, and some potatoes and small ears of corn then just dump it in a bowl for you. It’s good eating but bring a bib and go wash your hands afterwards. Fans of this believe that getting the sauce all over your hands is a good way to ensure all the meat you eat tastes like the sauce or something, I dunno.

I prefer just cracking steamed crab and dipping in lemon butter
Oh, I've done the Baltimore-style crab boil many times. It's very good but I don't see the point of doing it in pasta, y'know? And at this point, honestly, I've cut my hands tearing apart those little crabs too many times; all the meat's in the torso.

I don't really like eating meat on the bone when it's covered in sauce. Fried chicken and chicken wings, sure. But I never order goat in Indian restaurants. I make chicken paprikash, and my spouse likes it, but they don't like it when I debone the thighs.

To all the people using shellfish to make stock: you know you can wrap it in cheesecloth first, right?

pentyne posted:

Durian smells terrible but you get fresh durian and eat it right away it tastes delicious and creamy. Make some quick batter and fry it then its even better. Meanwhile there's a brand of cheap snack cakes made with Durian that I've tried and literally spit out the moment it hits my tongue.
I bought durian creme wafers once. I figured they would have some of the flavour, but not the distinctive odor I'd read about. It was the exact opposite! They didn't taste like much of anything but they smelled like hot garbage and rotten meat. I had to triple bag them to contain the smell in the trash.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

While he does steal dental hygiene products, it doesn't mention anything about toilet paper. Thus i must assume the hot cave man does not wipe his rear end, and therefore he is not good boyfriend material.

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that not wiping your rear end actually just pulls women in. A brown hole of disgustingness women are powerless to escape from.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Mx. posted:

AITA for grounding my daughter

But maybe there are mitigating circumstances!!!!

groundeddaughter. posted:

groundeddaughter
Op ·
22 hr. ago

She sometimes gets headaches in the middle of the night and takes them to help her sleep after.

FranchiseCA
·
21 hr. ago

If getting severe headache episodes is a regular thing, she should see a doctor. And a good one, not one who immediately dismisses a teenage girl's chronic health problems.

(And yes, YTA for grounding her.)

groundeddaughter
Op ·
21 hr. ago

She grinds her teeth at night, has an autoimmune disease that causes headaches, and is on a medicine that causes headaches. Her doctor thinks it's some combination of the 3.

WhatIsThis-ForAnts
·
21 hr. ago

Shes living in a rat infested house with an autoimmune disease?

oh yes, that makes it better, and by better I mean :murder:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DemoneeHo posted:

While he does steal dental hygiene products, it doesn't mention anything about toilet paper. Thus i must assume the hot cave man does not wipe his rear end, and therefore he is not good boyfriend material.

Bad things:
-He is an animal(does not wipe rear end)

Good things:
-He is an animals(thats hot)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Lol I mean I know she's 16 but what did she think would happen? I knew adults went to jail for weed and abuse a lot younger than 16.

My friend has 3 kids and the middle daughter did something similar. I don't know what's wrong with this girl but she's the type to just randomly start horrible rumours at school about her friends, which always comes back to her and sees her kicked out of her friend circle of the month. She has a totally different circle of friends every month or two due to this behavior but constantly acts the victim about it. She's always "forced" into starting rumours and lying about everything because someone slighted her.

One of the worst things she did at about 15 was to make up a whole story of "feeling unsafe" in her house, mostly regarding her older brother. Without going too overboard she spun a whole dramatic story to a family friend who is a nurse (and thus must report anything like this) about how her older brother had moved out of the house but then moved back in and simply kicked her out of her own bedroom. How he'll violently threaten anyone in the house to get his own way, steals her stuff, and how her mom never listens to her or believes her and always takes the brother's side. What was the real story? The house has 4 bedrooms and the brother had the biggest with an en-suite, which middle daughter wanted. She was told when oldest brother moves out, she could move up into that bedroom. She became impatient and started demanding that he be kicked out because he's 18 and should be living on his own, not mooching off the family. When that didn't work she started trying to frame him for breaking stuff in the house but was nearly instantly caught doing it herself. Then she went to her mom's best friend to "confide" in her about the horrible scary abusive situation she's living in and how her brother is a violent drug dealer who brings criminals into the house and uses the bigger bedroom to store stolen items.

What came out of it? Well the nurse friend instantly bought it all and didn't even talk to the mom, reported the situation and also put in her own word as extra weight behind it. This obliterated the friendship and they haven't talked since. It started a whole formal investigation from Child Services and the police which temporarily forced the oldest brother out of the house. Oldest brother is autistic and a recovering addict who desperately needed some stability in his life and the whole ordeal caused a minor relapse. It was luckily pretty quickly determined by the authorities what was actually going on. Middle daughter refused to even apologize, as she was simply forced to take such drastic measures in order to secure her ascension to the master bedroom and none of it would have happened if she was just given what she wanted.

Absolute meltdown when she was told she would NEVER be getting that bedroom after that, it would go to the youngest.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ad090 posted:

AITA for refusing to let my daughter move back in with us after she got my husband sent to jail?

Honestly just change the locks and ghost the kid.

Or buy her a car with a spare tire made of meth and drop a tip to the police. What a poo poo child.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Baronjutter posted:

My friend has 3 kids and the middle daughter did something similar.

Kids just don't actually understand long term consequences until wayyy into their 20s. I used to do forensic interviews as part of child abuse investigations since it's really really hard to actually interview a child (for a ton of differing reasons) and I saw that happen once. I got called in to help re interview a 15 year old girl who had disclosed just awful awful abuse from a step parent but following the initial interview a lot of stuff wasn't adding up with the parent. She eventually admitted to me she had made it up because he had grounded her for some random reason. But literally probably the only reason he didn't end up in jail was he traveled a lot for work and she admitted to me she thought the story would be better if she came up with set dates it happened and he was out of the country for some of those dates.

That being said, it's actually pretty rare for someone to just make up abuse and she was later diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 25, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I’d imagine that if a kid is making that type of poo poo up, something is probably really wrong. It might not be at home, but something is up. I don’t think it would ever occur to must kids to turn their parents into the cops for weed or to make up abuse allegations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

B-Rock452 posted:

That being said, it's actually pretty rare for someone to just make up abuse and she was later diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

hawowanlawow posted:

narc kid is only gonna get better at loving people over

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

therobit posted:

I’d imagine that if a kid is making that type of poo poo up, something is probably really wrong. It might not be at home, but something is up. I don’t think it would ever occur to must kids to turn their parents into the cops for weed or to make up abuse allegations.

seconded. i spend pretty much everyday going over these kinds of cases and there's definitely a lot of info we're not getting. i'm extremely hesitant to throw a teen under the bus without knowing more about the family dynamics. but i'll never know so whatever! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

therobit posted:

The comments have a lot of "there must be something we aren't hearing because kids from good homes don't behave that way". Yeah, sometimes they do. Think back to growing up and you will inevitably run across that case where the parents were good people and the siblings were model citizens, but that one kid was just bad for whatever reason, be it mental illness or just falling in with a bad crowd.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not apologizing for my overrreaction to nocturnal noise?

quote:

I (nb29) sublet a room to Daisy (f27).

Daisy's partner Tom (m36) regularly stays over. The house is pretty old and you can hear a lot of what's going on in the othe rooms. I always go to bed on 10pm, but Daisy prefers to stay up until midnight or 1am. We have agreed that until 11pm, Daisy can be loud, but afterwards, sleep is priority. So no music, no loud talking etc.

Last week, Tom was staying over. I had to work a long shift the next day, so I went to bed on 9pm. Because of our agreement, I tolerated them ebing loud until 11pm. But when Tom started to loudly talk on the phone (speakers on) and walk up and down the house at 11:45, my patience was tested for the first time. I kindly asked him to use headphones and to either have his phone talk outside or in the kitchen. About an hour later, they started to play a video game with speakers on. For a secorn time, I had to get up and ask them to use headphones. My final moment of annoyance was when around 2:30am, they were playing some sort of game where Tom was pushing Daisy around on the office chair, and she smashed into my sleeping room door. Tom opened my door, turned on my lights and shouting "ooooooh, the choo-choo train crashed into your room, hahahaah!" i just slammed the door in front of his face. After this incident, they realized themselves that it was too much and went to sleep.

The next day, when I came home, Tom was still here. I was extremely tired and annoyed, I had to work 10 hours on only 4 hors of sleep. He approached me and began with "about last night-" There I cut him off. "You listen to me. We have an agreement that after 11pm, it has to be quiet. You know that. Either you stop being so annoying and loud at night, or you won't be staying over anymore. The same goes for Daisy." Then I left for my room. I know that I was loud and angry, but I'm sure I didn't yell.

According to Daisy, Tom cried the whole evening because he felt so attacked and frightened by my reaction. She calls me a a-hole on my reaction because I knew that Tom is highly sensitive and highly empathetic and he can't stand people talking to him *without respect*. I don't see why I should apologize. IF he's that sensitive, he should have empathy with me being annoyed af at their childish behavior. I think it is common sense as an adult to not be loud when somebody else is trying to sleep. At least after I asked him to not have his loud phone call, he should have known that it's time to be quiet.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

If he was that empathetic, he would realize how close he was to being murdered

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
[Edit: ignore me, misread]

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Taberquol posted:

If he was that empathetic, he would realize how close he was to being murdered

No see, he has that special sensitive empathy where he can't suffer consequences for being an rear end in a top hat.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

Tom and Daisy huh? Never sublet a room to old money.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Franz posted:

The comments have a lot of "there must be something we aren't hearing because kids from good homes don't behave that way". Yeah, sometimes they do. Think back to growing up and you will inevitably run across that case where the parents were good people and the siblings were model citizens, but that one kid was just bad for whatever reason, be it mental illness or just falling in with a bad crowd.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to a situation with three siblings, two who are almost boringly stable and one who just is not, in any way, and will come up with three new crises a week but not remember to keep track of previous lies

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stay out of my house you lousy Jazz Age allegories!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Extra Large Marge posted:

Tom and Daisy huh? Never sublet a room to old money.

old as balls

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

axolotl farmer posted:

The classic way to eat surströmming is to put it in a wrap with boiled potatoes, butter, sour cream and red onions. That way, you can barely taste the fish. The fish itself is mostly salty and gelatinous.

It’s like lutfisk, the stuff you have with it is tasty, and does a good job of hiding the fish.

Why bother to put the fish in in the first place, then?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have to congratulate them for coming up with something weirder than loud sex to do at 2:30 am.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for telling an influencer to stop posting pics of her boyfriend?

quote:

I (34M) am a social media professional and do a lot of work helping influencers increase their followers organically. I've grown accounts from scratch to 1M+ and manage several accounts which have multiple millions of followers. Most of them are women.

So, the other week an old friend from college asked me if I could help out his friend, let's call her Jay (21F) who was having trouble growing her following. He told me J has about 10,000 followers which is not bad but her follows and engagement were dropping.

I took a look and one of my major recommendations to her was to stop posting so many photos with her boyfriend (20M). I backed this up with data showing that engagement whenever she posted him was much much lower. In my experience this happens a lot, for obvious reasons. I told her unless she was with some similar social media personality she should keep her relationship status private. I thought she really had potential and so I also offered her my management services for no payment upfront, instead asking a percentage of any income she makes (this isn't unusual).

Then yesterday I got a call from her boyfriend shouting and screaming at me about how I just wanted to bang his girlfriend and I was trying to break them up and so on, which is not true, I've never even met her. Now J is really really hot but I have a long term gf I love so wtf? I told him it was ridiculous, hung up and blocked him, then emailed J and told her what happened and I would prefer not to work with her any more to avoid hassle. This made things worse apparently, she broke up with him and now my old friend is mad at me saying I shouldn't have made any such recommendation. I think it's just because he was doing business with J's boyfriend which probably won't happen going forward.

AITA for indirectly causing their breakup and possibly screwing up my friend's business?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling an influencer to stop posting pics of her boyfriend?

the disgust and contempt for this parasite is too specific I guess

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What annoys the poo poo out of me:

I (25F) and my husband...

What I love:

- He is a dog thief
- He is a regular thief

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I feel like the few self-described empaths I've met have been huge assholes.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

metachronos posted:

I feel like the few self-described empaths I've met have been huge assholes.
It's the Serket Paradox.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA Because i (26f) won’t allow my bf (28m) to have lunch meat in the house(or at all)

quote:

Info: commenters have pointed out I may indeed have more trauma related to this phobia than originally stated, & it is genuinely serve. I have come a LONG way in healing already (used to have panic attacks & willing ran into traffic when chased, now I do not)

I have a semi- irrational phobia of any type of sliced, lunch meat. No real origin story to it, I’ve always been this way, my entire life. I don’t wanna walk near it in the grocery, won’t eat things that have touched it & definitely will not allow it in my house.. As a rule, before I date people I make them aware of this& they always say they understand, but low & behold everyone always PUSHES this hard boundary.

Current bf and I have been together 2 years , spent the entire pandemic together without having an issue with my lunch meat phobia. I cook all of our meals& have packed lunches countless times. Now after 2 years He refuses my home cooked meals & I am getting these kinds of messages:

AITA????

EDIT: after reading comments, I reached out to my SO offering to compromise by pre-preparing homemade meats together. I received a response of ‘ too much effort ‘ .

EDIT 2: My bf has a phobia of any ‘bio matter’ I accommodate by doing all the dishes and bathroom cleaning so he doesn’t have to. .. in response to a comment ‘ would you do the same for him’

isn't lunch meat a form of bio matter though
jk i know that's an excuse to never have to clean

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

I too wanted to marry Linus in Stardew Valley

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Double-post for content:

Give me your garden

AITA for being pissed that my Boyfriend set up a chicken coop in my garden?

quote:

So my boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half and things are going great, we don't live together yet but he sleeps over here a couple nights a week as I own my own place while he has roommates, there is more privacy here, we've talked about moving in together in the future and when that day comes he'll be moving in here as it makes the most sense we're just not fully ready to move in yet.

Due to our arrangement he has his own key and can let himself in and out as he pleases and this has never caused any issues and i'm fine with him being there as a surprise sometimes, the issue however rose up when I got home from work two days ago and he called on me from the garden, I went out to see what he wanted figuring maybe he'd set up the hot tub for us to relax in but was shocked instead to find out he'd set up a chicken coop and inside were three hens. He went on to explain to me how they were former battery hens and how this was great and we could have eggs all the time while helping them...and how he'd wanted to surprise me.

I was not so happy and asked him what the gently caress he was thinking and why he'd not ask me first, that this was really overstepping as i'd now have to fully take care of them and that I didn't want chickens, he has promised he'll clean out the coop, feed them and take care of their general care and has brought up how I don't use my garden except for the hot tub but I feel like he's missing the point on why i'm so upset. He has told me he'd have taken them to his but he has no garden for the coop.

Is it unreasonable of me to be pissed off at this? I know he meant well and thought he was doing a good deed helping them but it's the fact he can't see why this upsets me that really gets under my skin.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Absolute meltdown when she was told she would NEVER be getting that bedroom after that, it would go to the youngest.
The whole time I was reading the story, I was waiting for this sentence. It's...interesting how she was able to come up with all those schemes but it never occurred to her that, y'know, other people can also say one thing and do another. Especially if you give them a good reason.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

chickens are great but surprise pets is the loving worst, throw the whole man out

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
BRB, just telling my wife my newly-developed fear of bio matter prevents me from washing dishes, taking out the food waste or cleaning the toilet.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've got a phobia of my penis being dry, please help

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mx. posted:

AITA Because i (26f) won’t allow my bf (28m) to have lunch meat in the house(or at all)

isn't lunch meat a form of bio matter though
jk i know that's an excuse to never have to clean

Reddit's being really weird about this. Lots of "your boundary is dumb and therefore isn't a real boundary." And lots of "get therapy" as though that fixed everything instantly. She has been getting therapy and is getting better. Keeping a place where you can feel safe is an important part of management. Exposure therapy can be really slow because if you go too fast it makes it worse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cool Dad posted:

<sprays you with a hose while smoking>

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 26, 2022

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cool Dad posted:

*Bursts through your bedroom wall with a supersoaker full of icyhot*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

The_Franz posted:

that one kid was just bad for whatever reason, be it mental illness.

nice take, rear end in a top hat