Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
General rule of thumb I go by is for a /24 network, the first 10 addresses (starting at .2) and the last 5 addresses (ending at .254) are not in the DHCP scope. The first 10 block is for DHCP reservations, the last 5 are for your special static only addresses. This way you can somewhat categorize hardware based on the IP address alone.

.1 is always the gateway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

In the past I've made myself rules like:
.1 = firewall
.5-9 = switches
.10-19 = servers
.240-255 = printers

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
network devices, iDRAC's, UPS NIC's etc generally go into dedicated mgmt vlans with a subnet of appropriate size (/27, /28 something like that depending on the number of devices) IMO. Outside of that you have things like printers which will both print and have a management page on the same IP, so there is very little you can do about that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

.1 is always the gateway.

I know that technically anything can be the gateway but you better come up with a really really good explanation if it’s anything but .1.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

bolind posted:

I know that technically anything can be the gateway but you better come up with a really really good explanation if it’s anything but .1.

Some people like to put it at .254, it's a preference thing. As long as you are consistent with it, it doesn't really matter.

There are some networking greybeards who believe in a "security through obscurity" approach and will do some wild poo poo and stick it in .32 or something insane, which might have made sense in the 90's when network reconnaissance basically ping sweep, and a port scan. But these days nmap will pick those devices out in about 2 seconds no matter where you put it.

Also security through obscurity doesn't work. Stop doing it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I use the last IP in the subnet (typically .254 I’m a /24). No real reason I guess. Maybe I like to picture my packets rolling downhill easily to the .254 instead of climbing uphill to get to the .1

Maybe I’ve been doing this for too long :thunk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do your subnet as a /23 and put the gateway on .0 of the second /24

The "broken SATA cable" of a troubleshooting lab

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our's is .200. Why? Because it's been that way for 25 years and I've only been there for 19.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

network devices, iDRAC's, UPS NIC's etc generally go into dedicated mgmt vlans with a subnet of appropriate size (/27, /28 something like that depending on the number of devices) IMO.

Most places I see are too small for this to be worth it and password-protecting the management interfaces are Good Enough. I do agree all this should happen though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nvrgrls posted:

In the past I've made myself rules like:
.1 = firewall
.5-9 = switches
.10-19 = servers
.240-255 = printers

Lovingly remembering two jobs ago, with several discontinous /24s where 90% of the servers were manually assigned static ips inside the dhcp ranges.

I was fighting with scripted vm builds (a new thing for the org in 2020) and I couldn't understand why they refused to pull valid IPs

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

network devices, iDRAC's, UPS NIC's etc generally go into dedicated mgmt vlans with a subnet of appropriate size (/27, /28 something like that depending on the number of devices) IMO. Outside of that you have things like printers which will both print and have a management page on the same IP, so there is very little you can do about that.

IP address ranges in small shops are not a scarce commodity, though, so I will happily make all my subnets /24 for ease of remembering and not worry more about it. Printers are indeed tools of the devil.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
It never hurts to do things properly.

[edit] if I have the space for it I will default to a /24 because the math works out easier.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 22, 2022

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I like to roll 4D8 to determine my subnet prefix

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Agreed.

One shop I worked at had a storage VLAN, a general VLAN, a management (iLO in this case) VLAN and a BOOTP VLAN.

That was a lot of cables. And expensive in 10G switch ports.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Number19 posted:

Subnets are determined according to THAC0 rules

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Number19 posted:

MustardFacial posted:

Subnets are determined according to THAC0 rules

God I loving love this forum sometimes. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

bolind posted:

Errrrr. The poo poo infrastructure I now manage was configured across a lot of subnets to use .20 as the gateway. I was more confused than anything.

Easy fix on DHCP scopes.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Hi Thread! I recently fell into a position as Technology Director for a small nonprofit, ~60 users. Figured I'd come in and introduce myself and let you know some of the things that are top of mind for me. If you have any thoughts on where I should start or redirect me, I'm all ears!

• We have no system for making sure that users are keeping their devices up to date. I think I can use our Microsoft licenses to do this with Endpoint Manager?
  • Our current process for issuing new laptops is to buy them, get them into the office, spend hours installing everything and then mailing it to the employee. I'm speaking with Dell but it looks like with Windows Autopilot I can just have Dell send someone an imaged laptop directly?
  • I've heard from a lot of people that our current laptops are crap. They have issues with MS Teams video chat not working well or at all, and some programs running so slow they can't do anything. I suspect at least some of this is due to bad higeine like not rebooting regularly and running old OS versions. but assuming I get everyone's computer up to date and whatnot, does anyone have a recommendation of a Dell laptop that they would issue to 75% of employees who just do the basic collaborating via o365 and web apps? I will have a couple of high performance needs for people running statistical analysis and some design tools but what would you recommend for 75% of generic business use cases?
  • We don't have any SSO. I'm planning on using Azure AD for our SSO needs.
  • Do windows computers need to run antivirus software, or is Windows Defender enough?

I think that's all for now. Any thoughts or reactions from you expert Goons would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Thread! I just wanted to check in and say thanks for the guidance! I’ve successfully got Autopilot and Intune working and today was a big milestone, because my first brand new Dell was delivered to me and it was flawless!

Now time for me to start tackling mobile devices and getting stale windows machines updated!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Alright so here's one that's not for work but for a mutual aid group I volunteer with. The humble operation is running off google sheets and you can imagine how upset that makes me, and so I want to donate some resources to have an actual ticketing system in place to handle help requests. A $5/mo VPS is gonna be about our budget.

SO. I'm looking at osTicket and trudesk (installing that now with piping to bash :twisted:) is there anything else I should look at? I'd spring for a perpetual license but I don't want us locked into anything that needs a monthly subscription forever.

By the way if this doesn't work we're gonna do airtable.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Comedy perl option: Request Tracker. I actually used this quite a long time ago during a very cost-sensitive phase and it was in fact not bad at all. I know it's still around and might be worth a look, but back in the day it was a bunch of perl so think long and hard before leaving that mess for the next guy.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

nvrgrls posted:

Alright so here's one that's not for work but for a mutual aid group I volunteer with. The humble operation is running off google sheets and you can imagine how upset that makes me, and so I want to donate some resources to have an actual ticketing system in place to handle help requests. A $5/mo VPS is gonna be about our budget.

SO. I'm looking at osTicket and trudesk (installing that now with piping to bash :twisted:) is there anything else I should look at? I'd spring for a perpetual license but I don't want us locked into anything that needs a monthly subscription forever.

By the way if this doesn't work we're gonna do airtable.
If they are a registered nonprofit, they can get Salesforce Service Cloud for free for 10 users. Users after 10 get highly discounted rate. Plus it comes with an ecosystem of partners and is highly documented and declarative.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

....as awful as Salesforce is, all tools suck and you can do much much worse for babby's first erp

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Freshdesk gives special discounts to NGO's and registered non-profits as well.

https://freshdesk.com/industries/help-desk-software-ngo-nonprofits

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Jira has a free tier for less than 10 users, but the downside is that you have to use Jira.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenNight posted:

Isn't IP reservations from DHCP the thing to do nowadays and not just manually set static IP's on poo poo?
Yes, that is correct. All "static" IPs should be reservations in DHCP, and the only devices that actually have those IPs hardcoded should be the devices that need to have IPs before the DHCP service can operate properly.

Using reservations wherever possible means the network is self documenting. The only chance for the documentation to be wrong is if someone hardcodes something incorrectly.

unknown posted:

Yes, until the gear is more important than the DHCP server (like your SAN/NAS box generally is).
DHCP is pretty drat easy to make redundant. It can even be done statelessly, where the servers don't need to know the others exist (though stateful clustering has many advantages if your platform allows).

Almost all clients begin attempting to renew their lease at the half way point, so you have at minimum that long from the moment the service fails to fix it before anything is actually impacted. Set your less important subnets like guest wifi to shorter leases to act as a canary in case all other monitoring fails and then don't worry about it.

The problem here is not the use of DHCP reservations (unless the DHCP server itself booted off this SAN, in which case it should be hardcoded per previous rule), the problem is that bolind apparently decided that the existing DHCP reservation wasn't important when migrating it so the IP changed the next time the device renewed its lease.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Happiness Commando posted:

Jira has a free tier for less than 10 users, but the downside is that you have to use Jira.

This is what we use. IMO out-of-the-box Jira Cloud is pretty great, if a bit slow. Jira's big problem is with the people who gently caress it up by customizing it. If you're developing software with the basic ol scrum/kanban and need a backlog of tasks, some estimating and some WIP monitoring, free tier Jira is good.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm expanding to look at CRMs lol. Kill me.

I don't wanna vendorlock into freshdesk or sfdc or any of those things just because honestly we don't have the funds to scale that. We have like 30+ active people right now and not registered as anything. I'm just trying to make the best decision given the very not ideal situation until someone can get it together to incorporate and have some sort of actual "business" strategy etc.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Check out notion.so

I use it for personal task tracking stuff, but they make noise about being able to use it for business as well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It’s got a kind of “if sharepoint but made by a startup “ vibe

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nvrgrls posted:

I'm expanding to look at CRMs lol. Kill me.

I don't wanna vendorlock into freshdesk or sfdc or any of those things just because honestly we don't have the funds to scale that. We have like 30+ active people right now and not registered as anything. I'm just trying to make the best decision given the very not ideal situation until someone can get it together to incorporate and have some sort of actual "business" strategy etc.

I really like Close CRM. $30/mo. Search is powerful, fast and simple, but can be made very precise.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
How are yall handling getting notified when a user leave the company? Currently we're getting an email from HR when someone quits/gets canned, then I run a PS script that disables the account, marks the date it was disabled and moves the user to an OU specifically for disabled users. Every Friday I go through this OU and delete any disabled account older than 30 days.
This works OK when HR remembers to email me. But there have been times where they haven't emailed me and I'll come across an account for a user that was fired 2-3 months ago. I'm looking for some kind of automated way of handling this so that I don't have to rely on HR to let me know when they've let someone go.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Our HRIS automatically sends an email to our service desk when HR marks someone as resigned/terminated. If someone gets shitcanned and the email doesn't come through, it's because HR hasn't done their job right, and it's always a beautiful day when you can make HR the scapegoat.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sporkstand posted:

How are yall handling getting notified when a user leave the company? Currently we're getting an email from HR when someone quits/gets canned, then I run a PS script that disables the account, marks the date it was disabled and moves the user to an OU specifically for disabled users. Every Friday I go through this OU and delete any disabled account older than 30 days.
This works OK when HR remembers to email me. But there have been times where they haven't emailed me and I'll come across an account for a user that was fired 2-3 months ago. I'm looking for some kind of automated way of handling this so that I don't have to rely on HR to let me know when they've let someone go.

Have a script to email you a list of users who haven't signed in in 30+ days... Not great but helps catch stale accounts. Most of the places I work with are small enough that they send all-staff emails when a user leaves, so I catch it then as well.

Finally, kind of related, but whenever a temporary user is brought on (usually an intern in my case) I ask for the end date and have the account expire the day after the end date.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 30, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

sporkstand posted:

Technology can make things easier but I can't solve human problems. Either you configure whatever app HR uses to trigger an API that kicks off your automation script(s) or you have to rely on a human being to do their loving job - send an email, drop a trigger file somewhere for automation, click a button, sign off on a spreadsheet, whatever. It's a human problem. Or an organizational one that treats IT and access security as an afterthought

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We have a bunch of hotelled office set up as resources in Outlook. Is there a way to set up a calendar (like, on Sharepoint) that would show bookings from all of those room resources on one calendar?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sharepoint calendars are basically just a different view for lists with days and don’t have a real way to sync with exchange.

You could do something with power automate or logic apps to sync events, or look for a room scheduler that integrates with exchange.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Had my first “terminate ALL of this guy’s accounts IMMEDIATELY” email today.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

We have a bunch of hotelled office set up as resources in Outlook. Is there a way to set up a calendar (like, on Sharepoint) that would show bookings from all of those room resources on one calendar?

There are several saas things that do this.

Officemaps
Teem
Condeco

There are more out there

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nvrgrls posted:

There are several saas things that do this.

Officemaps
Teem
Condeco

There are more out there

I don't wanna buy another product :(

But yeah fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

How about room finder:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...99-77372434d3fa

That might be Good Enough. It would let users pick from available rooms based on time and capacity requirements.

Do you specifically need to know what bookings are in place rather than what's available to book?