Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Liam O Brien is the part of Caius that sells the character. He is an entire genre of villain brought forth through one of the greatest voice actors in America at the peak of his career.

You mean Lezard Valeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look I still haven't played VP, okay.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://youtu.be/0Q-rg3m_XyM

There's a gameplay trailer released too. Showing off job classes, skills, multiplayer and mentioning co-op specific dungeons and raids. And a fight with Odin where Jack knocks Odin off the horse, grabs the horse and throws it ontop of Odin.

This game is gonna rule.

The gameplay looks really good, Team Ninja been killing it lately.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

My problem with 13 has always sort of been it's universe, and how much these games fiction really depends on a good villain.

13 The First feels like a game made under crunch after a producer threw away everything and made everyone start over. It's also the weakest "Evil Empire and Evil Supernatural Being Behind The Empire" plot, because it's pretty easy to distrust an anime pope and Lindzei is only ever mentioned in optional lore terminals.
13-2 was fine except for Caius. Apparently he was supposed to be a lampoon of how Great Value versions of silver-haired pretty boys flooded the JRPG landscape following FF7, from sorta-kinda-Xenogears to obscure Dreamcast titles. Problem is they just didn't go far enough to distinguish it as different from just Another One Of Those. Probably didn't help that it was my first experience with Liam O'Brien's "Soul Tortured Anti-Hero" shtick.

That's Xenosaga, not Xenogears. Or are you saying Xenosaga is "sorta-kinda Xenogears"? I just don't see any similarity between any of these characters, though.

Honestly, on a serious narrative level, I think the Noel/Caius/Yeul stuff is when XIII-2 is at its best. Three great VAs, some of the best music in the franchise, the premise and execution is pretty good....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcLetgnrcIo

I can't believe it took me so long to realize Noel was Boone from New Vegas. My only defense is Boone is such a Debbie Downer. Noel has been through some poo poo too but he doesn't mope around all the time and sound perpetually depressed. Their tones are just so different.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know you didn't just call Skies of Arcadia an obscure title

I bet more people played it on gamecube then dreamcast. And that number is probably still pretty small

Like i like skys but it just never got the chance to shine which is why it needs to be remastered for the switch

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

it needs to be remastered for the switch

:hmmyes:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I bet more people played it on gamecube then dreamcast. And that number is probably still pretty small

Like i like skys but it just never got the chance to shine which is why it needs to be remastered for the switch

extremely hard pass if it would come with the MIDI OST rearrangement from the GC

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mordiceius posted:

As soon as something gives the "wink wink nudge nudge," the creator is basically saying "this is stupid and anyone who genuinely likes it has bad taste." It's just straight condescending.

When a story gives the "wink wink nudge nudge," it is either going to go too far and be condescending/offensive, or it is going to pull its punches and not commit. (Or both)

Imagine if John Carpenter and Kurt Russell pulled their punches for Big Trouble In Little China.

Imagine if Rocky Horror basically spoke to the audience and said "This is ridiculous, right?"

I think there was a time and place where wink/nudge, self-reference, and deconstruction was genuinely refreshing but I'd love it if we went back to sincerity in genre films. It's so played out that I don't even want to catch a whiff of a character even remotely acting like they know they're in a movie unless that's the premise, and unfortunately a lot of dialog in modern stuff seems to be written in an intensely self-aware or audience-aware way. As someone who genuinely enjoys trash B movies, this dearth of sincerity has really deprived us of new, obliviously directed so-bad-its-good movies over the last 20 years and it bums me out

Luckily Jack seems to be written as the least aware person in existence

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

pretty soft girl posted:

I think there was a time and place where wink/nudge, self-reference, and deconstruction was genuinely refreshing but I'd love it if we went back to sincerity in genre films. It's so played out that I don't even want to catch a whiff of a character even remotely acting like they know they're in a movie unless that's the premise, and unfortunately a lot of dialog in modern stuff seems to be written in an intensely self-aware or audience-aware way. As someone who genuinely enjoys trash B movies, this dearth of sincerity has really deprived us of new, obliviously directed so-bad-its-good movies over the last 20 years and it bums me out

Luckily Jack seems to be written as the least aware person in existence

I watch a lot of lovely low budget B movies from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and I definitely enjoy them for what they are but none of them are actually good.

Godfrey Ho cut and paste Frankenmovies with the same 5 voice actors dubbing every single one of them in the laziest way possible is funny but it's also not good in any way. He was a bad director who did all kinds of stupid poo poo like violating the 180 degree rule and who saw nothing wrong with white people playing ninjas who wore pastel colors. Hilarious, but not actually good.

This game is apparently a AAA venture made by one of the world's biggest studios with nearly limitless resources and decades of game making experience and they have a talent pool full of household names. Then they go and make a game where the main character acts like college age me when I used to wear a black trenchcoat every day and had weird hair and listened to embarrassingly bad music and thought The Matrix was the coolest thing ever.

This isn't the same as those old low budget cornball movies we love.

And at the same time there's this very bizarre charm to this game that I can't deny and at the very least the gameplay and combat look really fun.

I'm also a really big fan of the first FF on NES and all the remakes so I'm very interested to see what direction this goes in. It is highly likely that I will buy this and enjoy it and not be able to explain why.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Skies of Arcadia is so good

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

:hai:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hey incidentally Skies of Arcadia was also a very sincere game that really loved its premise and every character was just having the time of their life

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only thing I know about Skies of Arcadia is that it brought one of Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed's stages. Which takes palce during an air raid, and the laps go from ground-based to sky-based as the land itself gets bombed out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
hosed up that Aika and Vyse died in the Gallia-Europa war

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I played it on the Dreamcast back in the day. Good game would definitely get a switch remaster.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't believe it took me so long to realize Noel was Boone from New Vegas. My only defense is Boone is such a Debbie Downer. Noel has been through some poo poo too but he doesn't mope around all the time and sound perpetually depressed. Their tones are just so different.

Imho it’s way more surreal that that guy (James Marsters?) is Max.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The real trip is that Boone is also Myron.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Cue tons of goons going "well that's not as interesting as what my headcanon wanted" and "creators always lie about their creations and are full of poo poo" til the heat death of the universe.

No goon is doing this, goons are hyped as gently caress on this 2022 GOTY. Its just the sexless, joyless weirdos on twitter who are doing it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Cue tons of goons going "well that's not as interesting as what my headcanon wanted" and "creators always lie about their creations and are full of poo poo" til the heat death of the universe.

i hope jack breaks into their home and hits them over the head with a steel chair

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's more of an Aerith move

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lotus Aura posted:

That's more of an Aerith move

Punch them so hard they turn into crystal?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
We are running out of time for a FFVI PR in February if they're going to announce the date a month before.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
They need to start dropping those hype tracks already

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
They'll announce it in opera form.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In a stunning collaboration the opera scene music will be performed by The Primals

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In a stunning collaboration the opera scene music will be performed by The Wiggles

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With the Sinatra trailer for SoP and the Sinatra cover for FF14 I’m fairly certain they’re refitting the opera scene in FF6 to, instead, be “The Way You Look Tonight”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

jokes posted:

With the Sinatra trailer for SoP and the Sinatra cover for FF14 I’m fairly certain they’re refitting the opera scene in FF6 to, instead, be “The Way You Look Tonight”

Wait when does the Sinatra cover for FF14 happen? Endwalker?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah Sia did a cover of Fly Me To The Moon for Endwalker

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah Sia did a cover of Fly Me To The Moon for Endwalker

Laying the groundwork for the eventual Final Fantasy VIII Remake

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

God bless this dumb game and SE playing it straight and having a highly advanced civilization in a world where the rest of the world are medieval, pre-industrial societies somehow.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean that was pretty canon in FF1 already, wasn’t it? Maybe not as explicitly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Let's not forget that FF1 featured both time travel and a floating high-tech fortress in the sky from an ancient advanced civilization. It didn't look high-tech in the original because of the tileset but it also had robots like WarMech in it so it was always high-tech robot town up there.

If anything, giving the Lufenians access to something like a cell phone is a reasonable way to contextualize the Warriors of Light being able to learn Lefeinish instantly just by bringing a stone to a scholar. Maybe it's just a cell phone with a translation app on it :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that dude is dumb as hell, he already deleted the "ok so we're just supposed to ASSUME that everyone in FF1 has cell phones???" tweet and instead retweeted a 5-hour Youtube video on why playing Kingdom Hearts 3 is a waste of time :irony:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm glad that the super technologically advanced nation in an otherwise fantasy world invented nu metal, the most important societal advancement.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna be secret ending where Jack and the boys catch their favorite band live.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm glad that the super technologically advanced nation in an otherwise fantasy world invented nu metal, the most important societal advancement.

The combat music is going to be Break Stuff

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Limp Bizkit is canon

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Fred Durst as Cid confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

If anything, giving the Lufenians access to something like a cell phone is a reasonable way to contextualize the Warriors of Light being able to learn Lefeinish instantly just by bringing a stone to a scholar. Maybe it's just a cell phone with a translation app on it :v:

this, I like this