Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Took these on New Years Day from a public bird hide at a place called Goolwa, near the mouth of the Murray River where a sand dune peninsula separate the ocean on one side, and a fresh water (protected by barrage) river and swamp on the other side.

Pacific Black Duck

Pacific Black Butt

Dusky Moorhen

Reed Warblers do not like to sit still

Swamp Harrier, from a ways off

The rest of these are from the local Reservoir, which is newly open to the public for the first time ever as a recreation park

Noisy Miners

Magpie-lark

Rainbow Lorikeets, these quiet and shy lads were just chilling and let me get real close :3:

A Little Raven maybe? Not sure, all the Corvids here are supposed to have pale grey eyes.

Australian Magpie

Silver Gull, a little off the beaten track from the beach

Pacific Black Duck

Australian Wood Ducks who seemd to enjoy my company

Galah

Corellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

wondering if your "little raven" might be one of these

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-winged_chough

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

my cat is norris posted:

wondering if your "little raven" might be one of these

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-winged_chough

I reckon it is, thanks!

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Pine grosbeak by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

absolutely demolishing those berries

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
First time experimenting with Topaz Denoise/Gigapixel. Definitely need a little more practice with this but it seems like nice crutch for people lacking in skill and equipment.

jpeg from TIFF after DeNoise and Gigapixel (~13mb)
Alvarado Park Red-shouldered topazfs-on Flickr

("original") jpeg from RAW with minor edits (~16mb)
Alvarado Park Red-shouldered originalfs-1603 on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

marshmonkey posted:

absolutely demolishing those berries

Yeah apparently some birds just eat the seeds inside instead of swallowing the berries whole like waxwings and fieldfares.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Golden Crowned Sparrow bath time!

Stumbled across this Great Horned Owl the other day and it was backlit as hell so I quickly futzed the exposure comp way to high and blew out that background but the owl came out well. Wish there wasn't a out of focus branch there in front of them, but still pretty happy with this.

Also spotted a Peregrine Falcon near the coast the other day just floating on the wind looking for a meal.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerm324 posted:

Also spotted a Peregrine Falcon near the coast the other day just floating on the wind looking for a meal.

Gorgeous bird

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

oh hey, didn't know this thread existed. I visited the Faroe Islands last year and went puffin mad.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 25, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Absolutely loving the muted colours in those photos

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
This jay was just sitting around, not caring about me or the nearby feeding spot.

Eurasian Jay by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I spent about 3 hours hunting this little guy down here - it's a vagrant Tufted Titmouse - pretty rare to have hang around in some Toronto Suburb.

It's funny - everyone that came around was specifically looking for it, it was really cool being able to see a bit of a community aspect as we all looked for the bird.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Absolutely loving the muted colours in those photos

Thanks! They're very forgiving birds to photograph, very trusting. Allows you to take your time.

Also the village below the colony had some magnificent chickens

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
I love the puffins haha.

I ran into a Merlin the other day, very uncommon round my parts only see them in winter.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Slotducks posted:

I spent about 3 hours hunting this little guy down here - it's a vagrant Tufted Titmouse - pretty rare to have hang around in some Toronto Suburb.

It's funny - everyone that came around was specifically looking for it, it was really cool being able to see a bit of a community aspect as we all looked for the bird.

This is one of my favorite things about birding, when a common birdfeeder bird for me is an "all hands on deck" event for another spot. Meanwhile, plenty of birds that we go insane over during spring migration (warblers, etc.) summer in your neighborhood.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the crows flew away before a rainstorm passed through

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

the crows flew away before a rainstorm passed through

I got a kinda similar photo yesterday

Gyuto Foggy Raven Flight b&w-3687 on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

pyf corvids

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I got to take photos of this littler guy while (what I assume) its' two parents were in trees makin' sure everything was okay

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
excellent work in this thread as always. here's a few of my choice shots from the last month or so:

one of my mockingbird neighbors, probably my favorite birds in the neighborhood.

i had to zoom out on a hawk for the first time a couple weeks ago:

obligatory making GBS threads photo of the same hawk:

mallards approaching

a very chilly heron contemplating their decision to stay in maine for the winter

video clip

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

There're are a couple of Virginia Rails trying to overwinter at a nearby NWR, where they're pretty common during the summer. I've never had any luck seeing them, but today they were out in the open very close to the path for at least 15 minutes.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
A pair of pine grosbeaks were eating berries and didn't care about me at all so I stayed there for a while and took almost 900 pictures and actually likead a couple of them :)

bonus: drr drr drr!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

We've had a belted kingfisher hanging around, but it's an urban environment and there's a very popular path along the river so he tends to keep his distance. After the snowstorm we grabbed our snowshoes and broke trail and managed to get close enough for some good shots.

And some people love spring migration, but my favorite time of year is Weird Duck Season.

EPICAC posted:

Virginia Rails

Gorgeous shots!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ravens are terrifying when you just randomly stumble across one. They're so much bigger than I expect them to be. This guy was like the size of a loving turkey.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I always talk to them when I walk past because it's polite, and also they're the cleverest bird in an area with half a dozen other pretty clever bird species, so why cause any trouble for myself?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

And some people love spring migration, but my favorite time of year is Weird Duck Season.

I love all your weird ducks

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 30, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We've had a belted kingfisher hanging around, but it's an urban environment and there's a very popular path along the river so he tends to keep his distance. After the snowstorm we grabbed our snowshoes and broke trail and managed to get close enough for some good shots.
A lot of the time, busy urban locations are great for habituating birds to humans. Although photographers behaving differently from everyone can be enough for them to pick up on.

A belted kingfisher turned up as a vagrent in the UK (north of Liverpool/Manchester) at the tail of November and has largely stuck around. It's only the 4th time and it's hung around a lot longer than previous examples, so it's going to be one of those birds that gets talked about alot for decades. It did got awol for a while back it's reappeared in the last few days.

https://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/gallery.asp?SpeciesID=8340&L1=0&L2=&L3=&level=0&From=&To=&TakenFrom=&TakenTo=&PhotoBy=0

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

A lot of the time, busy urban locations are great for habituating birds to humans. Although photographers behaving differently from everyone can be enough for them to pick up on.

A belted kingfisher turned up as a vagrent in the UK (north of Liverpool/Manchester) at the tail of November and has largely stuck around. It's only the 4th time and it's hung around a lot longer than previous examples, so it's going to be one of those birds that gets talked about alot for decades. It did got awol for a while back it's reappeared in the last few days.

https://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/gallery.asp?SpeciesID=8340&L1=0&L2=&L3=&level=0&From=&To=&TakenFrom=&TakenTo=&PhotoBy=0

I live in that area and that Belted Kingfisher is a big celebrity on the local wildlife facebook groups.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

I live in that area and that Belted Kingfisher is a big celebrity on the local wildlife facebook groups.
If I lived locally, I'd be tempted to go see it, but I'm not going to hundreds of miles to see something that isn't a lifer, for what will almost certainly be average photos. I'll stick with hours waiting for a common kingfisher that doesn't turn up!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

If I lived locally, I'd be tempted to go see it, but I'm not going to hundreds of miles to see something that isn't a lifer, for what will almost certainly be average photos. I'll stick with hours waiting for a common kingfisher that doesn't turn up!

Yeah twitching isn't for me, this bird is fairly elusive as well and the places where it was spotted were not easy to get to with muddy winter river banks. One for the dedicated/retired bird nerds.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Finally found a burrowing owl in the wild! Was walking down a trail and looked into a pile of rocks and this guy was staring back at me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Burrowing owl or little owl?

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Burrowing owl or little owl?

While they look kinda similar, there's no little owls in California, so definitely a burrowing owl.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Jerm324 posted:

While they look kinda similar, there's no little owls in California, so definitely a burrowing owl.
My brain missed the word 'burrowing' in your original post and I didn't know which side of the Atlantic you live.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
ISO 10000 but still surprisingly good image quality

Fieldfare by Eero Vuorinen, on Flickr

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Red-tailed Hawk

Thread title relevant: Brown Creeper pooping

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I too also got a Red-tailed Hawk yesterday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021

EPICAC posted:

Red-tailed Hawk

I love the contrast with the sky on this!

Slotducks posted:

I too also got a Red-tailed Hawk yesterday!

That angle is wild, was he down low or were you up high?