Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

have faith, i'm sure she can hold out to at least 110, maybe 112

She isn't going anywhere until some brave adventurers can locate and destroy her phylactery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
This is why Jeni's Ice Cream costs $12 per pint, kids.

Immortality and power.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nucleic Acids posted:

This party does not care about actually governing. If they did, she would not die in office at 103.

This isn't a Pelosi issue. I mean, San Francisco can stop voting for her whenever they want to.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Abner Assington posted:

Hamilton comes off as a crazy "nobody really likes this fuckin' guy except Washington, and even then that's questionable" kind of guy in the series. I feel like John Adams has overall aged pretty well.

Honestly the best part of Hamilton in my opinion is "The Adams Administration". Just a solid minute of everything going to poo poo for Hamilton after Washington leaves office punctuated by "Sit dooooown John, YOU FAT MOTHERFUCKER! :byodood:" Which, again, plays into the view that Hamilton really was just this unhinged motherfucker, especially when it came to John Adams and would light himself on fire if it meant he could burn John Adams down too.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Trollologist posted:

This isn't a Pelosi issue. I mean, San Francisco can stop voting for her whenever they want to.

Does anyone actually have a snowball's chance in hell of running against her?

Seems pretty likely that that seat is hers until she decides she's done with it, which will probably be never, barring some massive scandal.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

We could build the perfect candidate, but the needed combination of political ideals, background and backing would be considered offensive as gently caress if it didn't happen naturally.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpeakSlow posted:

We could build the perfect candidate, but the needed combination of political ideals, background and backing would be considered offensive as gently caress if it didn't happen naturally.

Yeah, anybody coming at Nanny P with eyes to take either her seat or her leadership role would be purity tested into oblivion from the left and whatever molecules survived that would be obliterated by corporate cash and messaging doctrine from the center. It's a no-win scenario.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, anybody coming at Nanny P with eyes to take either her seat or her leadership role would be purity tested into oblivion from the left and whatever molecules survived that would be obliterated by corporate cash and messaging doctrine from the center. It's a no-win scenario.

Leftist purity testing, that extremely real threat to political candidates everywhere?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

nine-gear crow posted:

Who can live up to her legacy of clapping at Trump, tearing up a speech, mocking climate change legislation, and insider trading

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

Who can live up to her legacy of clapping at Trump, tearing up a speech, mocking climate change legislation, and insider trading

Not a clue, but whoever tries will be ripped to shreds to the Dem machine trying to save her rickety rear end.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like Hamilton's biggest crime is underselling Burr. The play makes him into this tragic fuddy duddy.

Motherfucker led a conspiracy that may have been intended to make him the King of his own country that he started while serving as VP of the United States--he's such a shady gently caress, nobody even knows. He somehow got out of treason because nobody even could keep track of what he was loving doing. He then married a widow for scamming out of money and had to be taken to court with Alexander Hamilton Jr.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
Pelosi's district encompasses a good portion of San Francisco and not much else, with a median housing price of 1.2 million dollars, so anyone who wanted to move in and compete would need to be exceptionally loaded.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

What left? The gently caress are you talking about?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

What left? The gently caress are you talking about?

She's going to have to fend off a primary challenge from Jerry Rubin

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

How are u posted:

It doesn't seem like a pissing match to me. It seems like Putin is being an outrageous aggressor. He has only himself to blame for driving EE nations further and further West.

It's less a pissing match and more the West (US/UK mostly) using it as a convenient excuse to funnel poo poo loads of money to their arms dealing buddies at Raytheon, et al. through generous "lethal aid" to Ukraine. It's extremely telling that the Ukraine government is using way, way, way less alarmist rhetoric than the US press and certain US government officials are.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like Hamilton's biggest crime is underselling Burr. The play makes him into this tragic fuddy duddy.

Motherfucker led a conspiracy that may have been intended to make him the King of his own country that he started while serving as VP of the United States--he's such a shady gently caress, nobody even knows. He somehow got out of treason because nobody even could keep track of what he was loving doing. He then married a widow for scamming out of money and had to be taken to court with Alexander Hamilton Jr.

That's thing thing, it's not remotely about Burr the Actual Person.

It's about a guy who plays it safe and close to the vest until the one time he doesn't, versus the guy who is constantly driven and takes his shot regardless of who it hurts.

I don't know if that's an accurate take on either person.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
No idea why we're talking about Hamilton still, but the people who like it that I'm familiar with don't think of it as a pure history, more Shakespearean. It's usually their first foray into hip hop ("I didn't think I'd like it because of the rapping but it was sooo good and now I like rap but will never listen to it in any other context"). If anything, they learn about the inaccuracies and can talk about the realism and misrepresentations for hours. Brings to light the lorentz relationship - those letters are something else - and first gen immigrant influence. Hamilton comes off as a weirdo and shitbird with the affair. And they do call out Jefferson/the entire South for being rich on the back of slaves...in a single line during those lovely "battles".

I mostly think it's important for having all POCs as leads for the first time...or at least the first time in a successful run. I'm no Broadway historian. Some of the songs are fun. And that lady from altered carbon is in it. And Leslie Odom is great.

But I agree that it's got some glaring omissions that are tantamount to propagandistic.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 26, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How in the gently caress is epic rap battles of history a ce event of 2022 let alone the 20th decade

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How in the gently caress is epic rap battles of history a ce event of 2022 let alone the 20th decade

Who mentioned ERBH?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The current derail about Hamilton, Les Mis, and other politically relevant musical theater is fairly new territory for D&D. Certainly folks have dunked on Hamilton before, but going into somewhat more depth is a new thing and interesting.

There doesn't seem to be any objections from the mod team so... carry on!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Counterpoint: successful revolution is impossible, quitting is the correct decision, priesta and mayors are good, and proletarian entrepreneurs are villainized just because they loot corpses

I mean, the July Revolution did succeed - it's just that Marius is literally the only revolutionary in the book/show who lives to see it.

And then Louis Philippe became king and I haven't read any French history after that but I'm sure it all turned out great, right folks?

How are u posted:

It doesn't seem like a pissing match to me. It seems like Putin is being an outrageous aggressor. He has only himself to blame for driving EE nations further and further West.

It's absolutely sabre-rattling. Putin's objective is to keep Ukraine out of NATO and the EU, and so far he's succeeding. Eastern European nations had already joined NATO long before he took power; Yeltsin complained about it in 1997, as I posted upthread:

https://twitter.com/stephenwertheim/status/1484345029237743617

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 26, 2022

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

How many Latin American governments did we coup or attempt to coup just in the last five years, just for electing governments we didn't seem friendly enough to our interests, not even signing any defensive pacts with Russia or China?

Brazil, Bolivia, Honduras, Venezuela, that's just off the top of my head.

I look forward to the US's principled stance on the right to safety and self determination and the lethal aid they are about to start sending to Yemen any day now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

the_steve posted:

Seems pretty likely that that seat is hers until she decides she's done with it, which will probably be never, barring some massive scandal.

I saw that guy Shahid Buttar who lost to her last time in the replies on some twitter post. I guess he's running again. I know there were some kind of questionable allegations against him that certainly didn't help him last time, but they probably didn't sink him either considering he probably didn't stand much chance.

So anyway, running? Sure. Wining? Ehh....

Although... with just the right combination of factors, California's jungle primary, depressed turnout on the part of poo poo Dems, the fact that the right wing definitely won't vote for Pelosi but might vote against her out of spite if it's just her and some other non-republican in the general, the right candidate could maybe stand a chance of losing by a much smaller margin than in the past.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ILL Machina posted:

No idea why we're talking about Hamilton still, but the people who like it that I'm familiar with don't think of it as a pure history, more Shakespearean. It's usually their first foray into hip hop ("I didn't think I'd like it because of the rapping but it was sooo good and now I like rap but will never listen to it in any other context"). If anything, they learn about the inaccuracies and can talk about the realism and misrepresentations for hours. Brings to light the lorentz relationship - those letters are something else - and first gen immigrant influence. Hamilton comes off as a weirdo and shitbird with the affair. And they do call out Jefferson/the entire South for being rich on the back of slaves...in a single line during those lovely "battles".

I mostly think it's important for having all POCs as leads for the first time...or at least the first time in a successful run. I'm no Broadway historian. Some of the songs are fun. And that lady from altered carbon is in it. And Leslie Odom is great.

But I agree that it's got some glaring omissions that are tantamount to propagandistic.

I think some of the opposition to Hamilton comes from how it positions itself as cheekily "decolonizing" (can't think of a better word, is there an equivalent of "queering" when it comes to race?) the Founding Fathers while, with the same action, flying cover for some of their more monstrous actions. Yeah, Jefferson gets portrayed as an rear end in a top hat, but Washington is thoroughly lionized. I don't imagine anybody would fault 1776 for deifying the Constitutional Convention; it's just expected with the territory. But Hamilton draws attention to it and therefore opens itself up to criticism. Look at the way companies tout performances of songs as a replacement for salary increases or hazard pay!

In terms of the rapping, it's generally fine. The cast is pretty talented, with the glaring exception of Lin Manuel Miranda, who is so godawful I can't believe anybody ever let him on a stage. It does a good job of withholding expectations for what you'd expect for a musical about Alexander Hamilton: a) improve level I'm Alexander Hamilton and I'm here to say / let's talk about money in a different way; or b) lovely ERBH style songs. Crucially, it does each of those exactly once, the first to represent a child character and the second a long ways into the musical, long past the point when the listener would have been expecting it and it comes as a surprise.

In conclusion, Hamilton is a land of contrast.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Purity testing is good though, it's just a term that's derogatory to people who have a consistent moral standard they hold themselves to when it comes to voting. Pretty weird to demonize that if you ask me!

To say nothing of how it's not actually that hard for someone to get leftists on board with their campaign but far too many aren't even willing to take those few simple steps. Blame the candidate for that!

Srice fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 26, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
People who brag about not voting are not generally people that campaigns go after the votes of, no. might as well appeal to some boomer centrists because at least those guys vote and will respond to the stupidest fundraising emails known to man.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There seems to be a large amount of difference between people who say they don't vote and the large number of people who don't vote. It also doesn't seem to connect with the prior post all that much.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

some plague rats posted:

That 'arguably' is doing a lot of heavy lifting considering we're talking about membership of a group that was specifically being enlarged to include them because the US was afraid that greater inter-european co-operation would shrink the American sphere of influence. That was the reasoning behind the NATO expansions from the 90s on- to prevent any damage to American hegemony.

It’s almost as if the strategic interests of two countries can align. Diplomacy is not a zero-sum game, who would have though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some plague rats posted:

That 'arguably' is doing a lot of heavy lifting considering we're talking about membership of a group that was specifically being enlarged to include them because the US was afraid that greater inter-european co-operation would shrink the American sphere of influence. That was the reasoning behind the NATO expansions from the 90s on- to prevent any damage to American hegemony.

Well, yes, but also didn't want to be swallowed up again by Russian interests which usually include loss of independence and largely being a Russian puppet state. While NATO has its own issues, it generally isn't a complete takeover of your political offices by Russian interests.

Again: Good example is Russia in 2008 saying the quiet part loud that Ukraine could not be a sovereign state (despites already being one).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majorian posted:

It's absolutely sabre-rattling. Putin's objective is to keep Ukraine out of NATO and the EU, and so far he's succeeding. Eastern European nations had already joined NATO long before he took power; Yeltsin complained about it in 1997, as I posted upthread:

https://twitter.com/stephenwertheim/status/1484345029237743617

Russia is 100% correct to not appreciate feeling boxed by NATO.

But, Russia openly stating "Our neighbors and former vassals feel more emboldened to resist us when they are in a defensive pact and that complicates our discussions and requires us to annex them or install a different leader; which we wouldn't have to do otherwise." is also Russia sort of justifying the reason NATO exists in the first place.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Russia is 100% correct to not appreciate feeling boxed by NATO.

Boxed in in their ability to bully others, sure. Like a chud doesn’t appreciate a mask mandate that limits their ‘freedom’. Tough poo poo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

morothar posted:

Boxed in in their ability to bully others, sure. Like a chud doesn’t appreciate a mask mandate that limits their ‘freedom’. Tough poo poo.

I mean a lot of this hinges on whether you believe that the USA is not a similar bully or a force for good globally.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I mean a lot of this hinges on whether you believe that the USA is not a similar bully or a force for good globally.

It doesn’t. Explain how Eastern Europe joining NATO is bullying Russia? When did NATO make threatening gestures? Do maneuvers simulating an invasion of Russia? Saber-rattle about taking over Belarus to restore Poland’s pre-1945 territory to the East?

Of look, it never did.

Of course, the US garbage in general and throws its weight around by starting wars all too often. Not seeing how that applies to Russia and NATO.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Not even a little bit

edit: your personal feelings about the general history of the USA have no bearing whatsoever about whether giving shelter to former Russian vassal states is "bullying" Russia.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josef bugman posted:

Not really for NATO. The U.S. isn't annexing, invading, or attacking France, Greece, Canada, North Macedonia, or any of the other member countries. Most of them happily allow NATO to build bases or station troops there because they don't have to spend money on defense themselves AND they get paid for it.

The U.S.'s disastrous and aggressive international actions all happen with their own military that they control.

The head of NATO is currently the Norwegian prime minister.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1486184063044096002

I honestly forgot about this happening after Biden announced it a couple of months ago. Oil prices are at a 7 year high, but I'm wondering if this will even affect them much. I'm guessing Biden just hopes that prices will dip down over the summer/fall in time for midterm elections.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Not even a little bit

It does because any moral or rhetorical argument fails the “ok but do you have the moral credibility to say that?” test.

We have no credibility left. We are a declining empire in an political death spiral and it’s hilarious to think we’re spending any oxygen on poo poo literally on the other side of the world when we’re failing at being a coherent state right here.

Real have a kid to save the marriage territory.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

selec posted:

It does because any moral or rhetorical argument fails the “ok but do you have the moral credibility to say that?” test.

We have no credibility left. We are a declining empire in an political death spiral and it’s hilarious to think we’re spending any oxygen on poo poo literally on the other side of the world when we’re failing at being a coherent state right here.

Real have a kid to save the marriage territory.

It doesn't because that isn't anything real, nor does it have any bearing on what I said. The USA's credibility or lack thereof has zero bearing on what the truth is, just whether we should accept something as the truth on the USA's say-so, which no one is doing.

This sounds like a whole lot of dancing around to justify that signal-boosting Russian propaganda as a good thing because USA bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalit posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1486184063044096002

I honestly forgot about this happening after Biden announced it a couple of months ago. Oil prices are at a 7 year high, but I'm wondering if this will even affect them much. I'm guessing Biden just hopes that prices will dip down over the summer/fall in time for midterm elections.

It's less than a day's worth of excess oil and spread out over a month.

It will knock down prices by about 7-9 cents a gallon for the month of February.

It says that it is in coordination with several other countries, so the impact might be larger than that. But, not significantly larger. And that is using rough math assuming oil use stays about the same, no other major shocks occur, and 95% of the value of the excess oil translates into reduced prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jarmak posted:

It doesn't because that isn't anything real, nor does it have any bearing on what I said. The USA's credibility or lack thereof has zero bearing on what the truth is, just whether we should accept something as the truth on the USA's say-so, which no one is doing.

This sounds like a whole lot of dancing around to justify that signal-boosting Russian propaganda is a good thing because USA bad.

I don’t know that I’ve ingested any Russian propaganda but I do know the US doesn’t have the loving money to be doing this poo poo. Complete divorced dad behavior.

It’s none of our business and the kids haven’t heard from you in months, what the hell is going on in that month-to-month furnished apartment you call a political system?