Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thoughtseize and Lightning Bolt have near-zero cost too, maybe good cards just see play. It ain't like it was pre-companion nerf where it was an actively bad decision to forego having one.

Answers are very rarely problem cards that need removing from a format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Thoughtseize and Lightning Bolt have near-zero cost too, maybe good cards just see play. It ain't like it was pre-companion nerf where it was an actively bad decision to forego having one.

I mean, the cost is an actual slot in the deck. Unlike Lurrus.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Thoughtseize and Lightning Bolt have near-zero cost

actually their cost is 1, which is infinitely larger than 0

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Haven is a beater, but there are 6 more manlands in standard right now. Everyone slept on Crawling Barrens, but I have a feeling that it's about to make a resurgence.

not a chance. barrens looked good when it was printed but it was immediately outclassed by faceless Haven and the afr manlands when they were printed

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I dunno, the fact that it's a mana sink that gets too big for damage based removal is a huge upside. I guess time will tell, but even the bad WAR manland saw fringe play in standard and Barrens is infinitely better than that one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

I dunno, the fact that it's a mana sink that gets too big for damage based removal is a huge upside. I guess time will tell, but even the bad WAR manland saw fringe play in standard and Barrens is infinitely better than that one.

The decks that wanted Faceless Haven don't have the time to pour a dozen mana into Crawling Barrens to make it good, especially when there are 5 other lands that just do a better job.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

even if fateful absence, infernal grasp, and fading hope all fell out of the meta at the same time, a lot of decks are playing field of ruin anyway to deal with afr man lands

no deck wants barrens. it's colorless which is too steep a deckbuilding cost for multicolor piles, but it's too slow for mono color aggro decks

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 25, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

You can't pull out 1 hammer deck that won 1 challenge as the deck changing when like 99.9999999999999999% of the hammer decks are still on lurrus.

Not only did I not pull out 1 hammer deck, I pulled two.
And neither are the one you mentioned.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheKingofSprings posted:

Answers are very rarely problem cards that need removing from a format.

Sanctifier En Vec needs to go.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I hate Arena's economy and I hope the new YGO/PTCGO clients make Wizards feel shame about their client neglect, decision-making and insane pricing.

That said, if we get an Alchemy release at 4 weeks into a set, a rebalance at 8 weeks and then an end-of-set rebalance like this one I'm probably happy to burn the money and tolerate the bitterness to play Alchemy. If the rebalances continue to be at least this size, the buffs aren't always dominantly bundles of cards for a single strategy and most importantly two months between rebalances is the exception rather than the rule I'm probably on board after being quite cynical. I'm still not there yet but today has been pretty encouraging.

A big flaming stink posted:

Is hullbreaker more oppressive in standard than aetherling would be?

Cards that essentially say "there is an 80-90% probability this game is over" but don't actually say "obviously win the game immediately" often generate disproportionate heat in Standard but especially when they're like a Carnage Tyrant, Dream Trawler, Koma or Hullbreaker Horror that deny you one of your usual avenues to be able to respond to it. It just makes people feel bad. The Hullbreaker Horror's "can't be countered" is IMO a bit much as a Disdainful Stroke loyalist but I also personally don't mind it being in the format. I empathise with people who are complaining about it more than I have done with similar cards in the past, though.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Yeah losing Divide by Zero (+Sciences for lands) might make it too slow to really matter

I think Divide by Zero paid the ultimate price for Hullbreaker Horror and Lier's pretty moderate sins here. People don't notice they're losing to a mid-game Dollar Store Remand but they do notice that it's creating space for and then plays excellently with Hullbreaker Horror and really seem to dislike that it lets Lier break the spirit of Lier's "spells can't be countered" rules text. I think this a pre-emptive move to keep two highly visible format pillars making it feel like the Epiphany nerf hasn't had a huge impact on blue decks.

Silhouette posted:

Haven is a beater, but there are 6 more manlands in standard right now. Everyone slept on Crawling Barrens, but I have a feeling that it's about to make a resurgence.

I loved and specced on Crawling Barrens but I think Hall of the Storm Giants and to a lesser extent Hive of the Eye Tyrant are better options for any deck that wants that. More than anything Barrens is perversely vulnerable to removal post-Heartless Act relative to Hall of the Storm Giants. I personally think the big impact is the format experiencing less pull for decks that wanted Haven to accommodate snow mana and silo themselves into a single colour. Which is huge, that has been something I've disliked in Standard for a while.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Crawling Barrens takes 4 turns and a ton more mana to start outpacing Faceless Haven if you're attacking into a clear board.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

number one pta fan posted:

I hate Arena's economy and I hope the new YGO/PTCGO clients make Wizards feel shame about their client neglect, decision-making and insane pricing.

That said, if we get an Alchemy release at 4 weeks into a set, a rebalance at 8 weeks and then an end-of-set rebalance like this one I'm probably happy to burn the money and tolerate the bitterness to play Alchemy. If the rebalances continue to be at least this size, the buffs aren't always dominantly bundles of cards for a single strategy and most importantly two months between rebalances is the exception rather than the rule I'm probably on board after being quite cynical. I'm still not there yet but today has been pretty encouraging.

Every single mechanic used by the Alchemy-only cards is uninspired and makes the game worse.

edit: Just buff and nerf, no new cards.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I was running 4x Faceless and 2x Hive in my mono black snow list, but I could see upping Hive to 4 and adding 2 Crawling Barrens as backups, although it may not be necessary if it also means field of ruin sees less play. 4 fewer snow lands makes a difference for hitting 6 snow sources for the good Blood on the Snows, but it's less important for other colors where 3 is the breakpoint.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think AFR is SUPER terrible, it just has some really egregious examples like dungeon descent and other stuff that is ridiculously overcosted that are utterly worthless. the Class enchantments, the manlands, Lolth, Deadly Dispute, Shambling Ghast, Iymrith, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Battle Cry Goblin, Dragon Fire, Goblin Javelineer, Inferno of the Star Mounts, Unexpected Windfall, Old Gnawbone, Prosperous Innkeeper, Werewolf Pack Leader, Varis, Kalain, Trelasarra, Xanathar, all these are at least fine.

Delina, Wild Mage and Skeletal Swarming are silly fun cards too

I am super happy about DBZ getting banned. alrund's sucks and I'm glad that's gone too, but DBZ getting nailed makes lier decks significantly less impervious, which I am happy about. I wonder how much more of the meta will be owned by Mono-W or G aggro now, even with haven banned.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
We need to protect the Lutri Kings.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Wow. SCG no longer doing strategy/tournament articles or content, firing all their strategy writers/creators. All articles will be free without requiring premium for whatever they do publish now.

https://articles.starcitygames.com/news/scg-announces-forthcoming-content-changes/

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Wow. SCG no longer doing strategy/tournament articles or content, firing all their strategy writers/creators. All articles will be free without requiring premium for whatever they do publish now.

https://articles.starcitygames.com/news/scg-announces-forthcoming-content-changes/

Competitive Magic is dead so it makes sense that the industry surrounding it would die too.

:rip:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Time change and all, but it feels like stuff is crumbling.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's the covid kicking in

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's the fault of you people who kept begging for users with premium to post it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

End of an era, this really makes me sad cuz scg on twitch was what kept me engaged with magic for years when i was first playing

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I will truly miss the SCG Saturday tournaments.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That's really too bad, SCG kicked rear end. Hope all those guys find new places to write.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
NRG, our only hope.
But their coverage is awful :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yikes that sucks. I really enjoyed watching Ross and Corey on stream

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry guys we have arena opens and arena set championships and arena qualifier weekends and arena daily quests. It's all good!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

NRG, our only hope.
But their coverage is awful :(

Nothing will ever be as good as Cedric and Patrick together.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe if we ever get on the other side of the pandemic some of these people who make their careers center around paper in-person play will come back to it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I picked a bad time to get back into paper magic

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

maybe if we ever get on the other side of the pandemic some of these people who make their careers center around paper in-person play will come back to it

I'm pretty sure this is a forever thing. New variants are just going to keep cropping up with how easy it spreads. The only way we will get around it is to have better vaccines and anti-viral pills.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DangerDongs posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a forever thing. New variants are just going to keep cropping up with how easy it spreads. The only way we will get around it is to have better vaccines and anti-viral pills.

The will to continue to stay in and take preventative measures is and will continue to wane. Covid is just here now and there's no end.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

HootTheOwl posted:

The will to continue to stay in and take preventative measures is and will continue to wane. Covid is just here now and there's no end.

that may be but it may also be that some people like me don't ever really go back to paper in that case, because I just don't care enough.

Feel the same way about eating inside restaurants, honestly. Fortunately most of the poo poo I care about is outside.

It hasn't hurt the value of my paper collection, anyway.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

Calling out Cedric in the article seems weird

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Small business owners gonna small business owner.

Not that I envy SCG's position. Between Arena and Wizards changing stance on all aspects of competitive magic, from prize support to card design to bannings, and then covid on top of that, their business model has fundamentally upended.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
SCG paper tournament coverage was so good. I hope that picks up when it's possible to do it again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I picked a bad time to get back into paper magic

I think you'll always be able to find paper events.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
OP has been in steady decline since Wizards axed the GP/PT system and replaced it with a series of progressively more confusing and uninteresting messes. Even before Covid hit it seemed like they were dragging their feet when it came to any kind of OP support. Really felt like Hasbro didn't see it as a priority at all and the bare minimum was being done to avoid actually just coming out and saying "we don't care about organized play because we don't think it actually sells cards these days".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I had a revelation about Shorikai, Genesis Engine yesterday, that I sum up as this:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dramatic Reversal on a Scepter + a sol ring or whatever I guess lets you deck yourself while finding your oracle or lab man. That's pretty cool. It's kind a bummer that you can't go off with Scepter and use the mana to cast this guy then go off though.

EDIT: Wait, you can because he's not actually a creature I just found out.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the proper use of Isochron Scepter is to put Memory Lapse on it. It's not an instant win combo, but it will make your opponent miserable and that's what counts.