Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle House posted:

Facebook's Metaverse product doesn't look so bad. The legless look is a play-it-safe omission, and it does work well in VR where headsets render you fairly stationary due to your home's physical constraints. Their ad accurately portrays this, which is important consideration, and a realistic compromise because they clearly are going hard in the headset direction and less traditional mouse and keyboard.

Of all the organizations to try it, Facebook definitely has the money to make sure their game engine stays updated and stable, and they definitely have the capacity to welcome community content as they discover how lucrative a marketplace for a community can be. As a company I think it's good they're stepping in this direction, they kinda need a splash of color compared to the social network that was their brand for the longest time.

It's kinda...kidsy-adultsy so far, but for their market that's ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eav8NYAK0DU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Horizon will do just fine, all they have to do is eventually open it up to 18+ content and a Steam Community or Second Life style marketplace to really have it go off. I definitely encourage making fun of it, though, because it'll be really fun to raid for Headset goons.

The strategy of making it initially colorful does work, because even if you're getting raided it's at least fun for the raiders to go in and cause problems, rather than "oh my god this is so drab and there's no substance". In that way, if it's a little bit of a walled garden at the outset that's fine, the worst they're going to do is make Apple App Store money that way until they get more comfortable and feel like it's okay to push into markets and adult interactions. I assume they're not just looking at Second Life or VRChat as competition, but also of all the games more specifically coursing towards Roblox. Roblox is a strange exception because it's a Metaverse that qualifies in most people's minds as a "children's game," but it is free and open enough to define as a metaverse.

Like I said, though, Facebook/Meta's product will definitely keep pace because it'll a comfortable and easy place for people to socialize as a Facebook replacement, which is IMO long overdue for their business. I think none of us were really happy in the screaming echo chamber of social media after basically 2014 or 2015; TikTok and Instagram are IMO better to a fault as social networks because there's less possibility that you're going to scroll past a wall of neoliberal or truckblogger voidscreaming served to you interstitially. Where it used to be kind of cool that you could talk to your friends, its main advantage now is that it's a Messenger app for those friends, and the rest of the platform is a place for a soul to go and die and then get banned; in a way it became hell, and everyone pretty much feels the same way about it. It's just a miserable loving place now full of ads and garbage where its actual wings were just facilitating people's interactions.

In my opinion, that's what makes a comm product quality; stepping the gently caress out of the way so people can interact with each other. If I wanted news I'd read the paper or glance at the nearest ignorable source. Personal media and content are obviously better cornerstones to found an experience on rather than having to read whinging opinions. Facebook is exactly that now, IMO; an elaborate echo chamber, and it's miserable.

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't remember anyone caring this much about Second Life, I don't get why it's VR expansion is what everyone is going all in on.

Second Life has been around since 2003, the VR headset revolution wasn't even a twinkle in people's eyes at that point. It's neat to have it with Second Life because now the place that has all the history and content since forever is keeping steady pace.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 20:13 on Jan 25, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Waffle House posted:

Horizon will do just fine, all they have to do is eventually open it up to 18+ content and a Steam Community or Second Life style marketplace to really have it go off. I definitely encourage making fun of it, though, because it'll be really fun to raid for Headset goons.

They absolutely, 100% will not do this. You'll get endless outfit variations ranging from "blue polo shirt" to "red t shirt" to "green dress", plus Spiderman. Endless body variation, so you can be between 5'4" and 6'2" and anywhere between 100 and 180 lbs. You might get cat ears.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

more falafel please posted:

They absolutely, 100% will not do this. You'll get endless outfit variations ranging from "blue polo shirt" to "red t shirt" to "green dress", plus Spiderman. Endless body variation, so you can be between 5'4" and 6'2" and anywhere between 100 and 180 lbs. You might get cat ears.

Completely possible, but they would kneecap themselves as a major handler of social interactions to deny goons, 4chan, reddit, and every other gang of miscreants the option to catgirl rave any event. Trolling is just inherently a seismoclasm of party attitudes, my dudes, we are all excellent here. If someone's uncomfortable that's why a channel operator has eject/ban buttons; people have been closing pools long before Habbo Hotel. Let the networks be free. Especially to let people specify to full intention their gardens, so to speak; you've gotta allow for walls, otherwise people can't rule their own builds.

The security of a banhammer is a good thing.

Society invokes it often.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Jan 25, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CodfishCartographer posted:

There already was a Second Life in VR, called VR Chat, and no nobody cared this much about it.

However, 1) Facebook execs and cryptochuds didn't know about it cus they don't know poo poo about anything,

I can’t speak for the cryptodorks but the FB execs definitely knew about it, if you mean the one released in 2017. there was a semi-internal rumour about them buying the team at one point, IIRC. (the FB exec who led the Oculus acquisition was ex-Second Life, by coincidence)

e: I don’t think you’ll see adult content in Metaverse proper within a decade. it’s just not the sort of thing that Zuck considers compatible with his vision of Facebook in the world. even a 3rd-party that has inter-portable identity with Meta’s stuff seems unlikely to me

Subjunctive has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jan 25, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Waffle House posted:

Completely possible, but they would kneecap themselves as a major handler of social interactions to deny goons, 4chan, reddit, and every other gang of miscreants the option to catgirl rave any event. Trolling is just inherently a seismoclasm of party attitudes, my dudes, we are all excellent here. If someone's uncomfortable that's why a channel operator has eject/ban buttons; people have been closing pools long before Habbo Hotel. Let the networks be free. Especially to let people specify to full intention their gardens, so to speak; you've gotta allow for walls, otherwise people can't rule their own builds.

The security of a banhammer is a good thing.

Society invokes it often.

Yeah, but there's a reason those things don't get mainstream popularity. You're not going to have a press conference in Second Life because you're gonna get dildoed

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Metaverse is enclosing the commons of the internet, not just from what (virtual) free space remains in sex perverts yiffing but also from other companies who may want to make their own VR company towns.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
crushing weirdness and sex comes before profit for the hosed up nightmare people in charge of every tech company

presumably because that indulges the idea that humans are individual persons and tech companies want people reduced to interchangeable widgets in every particular for ease of programming

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, but there's a reason those things don't get mainstream popularity. You're not going to have a press conference in Second Life because you're gonna get dildoed

I think their cleaner and brighter environment will work for that. They've got it well under control.

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Jan 25, 2022

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Metaverse will only have weird unfettered fetish zones for the ultra wealthy that the common folk are never told about.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bag em and tag em posted:

Metaverse will only have weird unfettered fetish zones for the ultra wealthy that the common folk are never told about.

They can call it the Meatverse.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Facebook Aunt posted:

They can call it the Meatverse.

That's the Arby's VR world.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A-teamverse

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/keano81/status/1485582987949449220

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bag em and tag em posted:

Until the poopsocking power gamers no clip into everyone's sex dungeon and just post that poo poo to YouTube / Worldstar / bitchute.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/ohJuliatweets/status/1486063637659885576?cxt=HHwWkIC9xajAx58pAAAA

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why would you rent an ape jpg?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why would you rent an ape jpg?
this is probably one of those play-to-earn games where the NFTs have mechanical impact rather than just being a lovely picture. there's at least one where starting out costs $300-1000, but you can also borrow a NFTs from an existing player in exchange for giving them a cut of your earnings. if the money from playing the game is actually going to make an impact on your life, you probably don't have the funds to buy the starter NFTs yourself. it's digital sharecropping

e: the game I was thinking of (although there are possibly others in this bucket) is called Axie Infinity. googled the article but I'm not paying to read it so idk if it's Axie Infinity or something else
e2: yes the article is talking about Axie Infinity

Elysiume has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Jan 26, 2022

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Elysiume posted:

this is probably one of those play-to-earn games where the NFTs have mechanical impact rather than just being a lovely picture. there's at least one where starting out costs $300-1000, but you can also borrow an NFT from an existing player in exchange for giving them a cut of your proceeds. if the money from playing the game is actually going to make an impact on your life, you probably don't have the funds to buy the starter NFTs yourself. it's digital sharecropping

e: the game I was thinking of (although there are possibly others in this bucket) is called Axie Infinity. googled the article but I'm not paying to read it so idk if it's Axie Infinity or something else

This sounds like that treeloot.com scam site from the early internet era. And like a back alley craps game with loaded dice.

I'm scared to call that even a gambling parlor, that sounds more like they'll name this kind of scheme after whoever they arrest for it in a year's time because they tried fleeing the country with a steamer trunk full of cash.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

nft at this point is just a post it note that lets you bypass fraud laws

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a notion of "pay-to-earn" games where you get NFTs that you can sell for cash. Of course, previous games have had in-game currency that could be sold online. This resulted in gamer sweatshops in Brazil and China where employees play World of Warcraft or Magic: The Gathering Online to earn $2 an hour.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Chamale posted:

There's a notion of "pay-to-earn" games where you get NFTs that you can sell for cash. Of course, previous games have had in-game currency that could be sold online. This resulted in gamer sweatshops in Brazil and China where employees play World of Warcraft or Magic: The Gathering Online to earn $2 an hour.

You too can be a nobly and strategically underpaid gaming serf. Of course.

i am harry posted:

nft at this point is just a post it note that lets you bypass fraud laws

You too can be the next Bernie Madoff!

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
https://cointelegraph.com/news/second-life-creator-returns-to-lay-claim-to-the-metaverse

Time to log back in and ride around on my digital vespa.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Elysiume posted:

this is probably one of those play-to-earn games where the NFTs have mechanical impact rather than just being a lovely picture. there's at least one where starting out costs $300-1000, but you can also borrow a NFTs from an existing player in exchange for giving them a cut of your earnings. if the money from playing the game is actually going to make an impact on your life, you probably don't have the funds to buy the starter NFTs yourself. it's digital sharecropping

oh lord, i saw that Dan Olson video on NFTs and there was a segment on Axie Infinity and how it was affecting the economy among young people in Philippines, and it was absolutely impenetrable with the number of different NFT characters, in-game currencies and purchseable currencies imposed on players. It didn't click until I read your post that they now allow you to rent NFT characters. This is some bleak poo poo

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lmao

Philip Rosedale: "So yes, if you're a complete fucklord ballsack, you already understand NFTs. Now, instead of an NFT, we have this thing called a "content marketplace," where you can make and sell things. It's really incredible, you can just make stuff and people will buy it, like in a REAL store. Wow!"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tempora Mutantur posted:

great, now I want live action Transmetropolitan starring David Tennant as Spider Jerusalem

Warren Ellis is still alive, so not yet

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Saddest Rhino posted:

oh lord, i saw that Dan Olson video on NFTs and there was a segment on Axie Infinity and how it was affecting the economy among young people in Philippines, and it was absolutely impenetrable with the number of different NFT characters, in-game currencies and purchseable currencies imposed on players. It didn't click until I read your post that they now allow you to rent NFT characters. This is some bleak poo poo

i love how a thing i was mocking on SA as a teenager are now A Thing and having all the effects Olson mentions in that. and that's with the starting point of the guy who gave himself brain damage. it had so much more harm to bring to the world than that!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I miss the Goon Second Life group.

Accidentally bringing the entire grid down because you and your friends started playing velocity golf by shooting self-replicating ballistic rainbow seizure cubes into your neighbor's homes with guns should be an ISO standard of a loving good time.

I cannot recommend enough that if Metaverses are starting to be in the news again, bored goons need to group up, get Blender and GIMP immediately installed, get a land parcel for goon sandboxing, and try just loving around making 3D content for fun. Punch some vertexes together, get the models seamed and unwrapped for texturing, and then post it up.

This is my current proudest work, a boxed sci-fi/interior art scenery set I'm working on inspired by Natural Selection 2's ns2_biodome map that I plan to sell when I get a chance.
Fully baked and animated as static set pieces, $20/pop is probably a good price for a "kit," but I will be including not only the pieces themselves, but tiling textures in the kit too so people can blend the pieces into larger builds.

I have several friends who make decent living-money doing the content thing. A girl who I dated for a while from there now has a dogs and kids lifestyle and pays her mortgage with the monthly income she makes alone, but she's very dedicated to her craft and has amassed a stellar portfolio.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

i love how a thing i was mocking on SA as a teenager are now A Thing and having all the effects Olson mentions in that. and that's with the starting point of the guy who gave himself brain damage. it had so much more harm to bring to the world than that!

Every now and then a goon will say something like "oh yeah I remember 9/11, that was a weird day of kindergarten" and it will just loving annihilate me.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Waffle House posted:

Accidentally bringing the entire grid down because you and your friends started playing velocity golf by shooting self-replicating ballistic rainbow seizure cubes into your neighbor's homes with guns should be an ISO standard of a loving good time.

I cannot recommend enough that if Metaverses are starting to be in the news again, bored goons need to group up, get Blender and GIMP immediately installed, get a land parcel for goon sandboxing, and try just loving around making 3D content for fun. Punch some vertexes together, get the models seamed and unwrapped for texturing, and then post it up.

This is my current proudest work, a boxed sci-fi/interior art scenery set I'm working on inspired by Natural Selection 2's ns2_biodome map that I plan to sell when I get a chance.
Fully baked and animated as static set pieces, $20/pop is probably a good price for a "kit," but I will be including not only the pieces themselves, but tiling textures in the kit too so people can blend the pieces into larger builds.

I have several friends who make decent living-money doing the content thing. A girl who I dated for a while from there now has a dogs and kids lifestyle and pays her mortgage with the monthly income she makes alone, but she's very dedicated to her craft and has amassed a stellar portfolio.

Haha, yes, let's all buy into this dumb as gently caress thing just for the humor.

I'll wait for the thread; you go on ahead, as you've clearly already done. We're right behind you, I promise.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I've modeled the racist knuckles the echidna caricature

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Haha, yes, let's all buy into this dumb as gently caress thing just for the humor.

I'll wait for the thread; you go on ahead, as you've clearly already done. We're right behind you, I promise.

all they said was have a goon squad in [game] and mess around

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

all they said was have a goon squad in [game] and mess around

Do you think "buying in" only means actually paying for something? Participating "ironically" is still participating.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

idk who you're trying to argue with but i'm not interested

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The metaverse/walmart e-shopping video reminds me of something I read somewhere critical of metaverses in the same vein as those early internet programs/browsers that would replicate, like, a town. You'd have to click the lovely jpeggy "store" in your internet "town", click the "aisle", click what you wanted on a "shelf", and so on. It was super painful and stupid to use and died a quick death for obvious reasons. The conclusion to the critique basically said this new, amazing communication technology of the internet was not being used to elevate the human experience, but replicate it in a way that was clunky and stupid. Contrast that with modern ecommerce: shopping at Amazon looks and feels nothing like a physical "store", and is actually much more enjoyable (because it elevates the experience, unlike a lovely fascimile)

VR isn't really a new technology but for argument's sake let's say it is. The walmart shopping video is an exact replica of those stupid-rear end Web 1995 shopping experiences of trying to replicate a store and shopping in VR. Nobody wants to do that, it doesn't make our lives better, its frustrating and dumb. What is the purpose of Facebook's metaverse? Is it just a fascimile of real life, except every day is Halloween? The fundamental hook of VR is it lets you have a presence/experience in situations you would never experience, like going in outer space, driving a racecar, or getting into a gunfight or even visiting other cities (albeit on rails). It is easy to see how these experiences can "elevate the human experience", but I do not see how a giant cartoon bouncehouse for business meetings does this.

At least VRchat is silly, but after 10 minutes you think "this is boring" because it's pretty much just a costume party in a bar/dance club and its incredibly niche with a decent but not big playercount. Facebook wants to turn that into a billion-dollar industry, but what can they bring to the table that VRchat doesn't already? It's a dead end, people who want VR aren't looking for these experiences or even metaverses in general, they just want to drive cars, fly spaceships, and shoot mans. There is a razor's edge they can balance if they can compete with Apple and Valve in pushing the envelope in the VR hardware space, because even if the metaverse is a flop, Oculus can still be the flagship brand of affordable standalone VR. We'll see if they can do this, there are a few key areas hardware/the experience needs improving (foveated rendering, a larger field of view, depth of field capable screens, haptics and locomotion, etc) but if facebook doesn't raise the bar they're gonna go into the toilet.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Jan 26, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

I doubt they will ever allow adult content because advertisers hate it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I do not see how a giant cartoon bouncehouse for business meetings does this.

this is what a virtual business meeting should be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMt-VjiLu_8

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Waffle House posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

pnumoman posted:

There is no buy in except for pennies on the upload cost for models and textures, you just register an account and blender/GIMP are free software downloads

you can play dollhouse if you want but last go round everyone just did the punk house thing and whatever wasn't covered by the tiny anime girl who paid for the land we reimbursed by selling crap

lmao I wonder if I can do the suits

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Jan 26, 2022