Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sepist posted:

The way we do it in AWS/GCP is I have all the traffic come in through a single Linux instance running FRR which is BGP Peered to however amount of firewalls we need for adequate throughput, and the FRR Router has interfaces in multiple routing tables. This allows us to avoid having to do source NAT on the palos. In AWS we have a lambda function that checks the FRR Router status and changed the route table if there's a problem, in GCP this is handled by the ILB. We've been running it like this for years without any major issue.

The trade off is we had to abandon zone based rules in favor of subnet src/dst. You can also use a cloud plugin on the palos to do dynamic groups based on tags if you so desire.

Thank you. I don't know if FFR is going to work on Azure, though. You can't BGP peer to anything. I think it's supported on some things in public preview but not route tables. I think all NICs on a VM have to be in the same vNet too.

I was like 75% of the way through getting this nailed down and then realised I'd have to source NAT all inter-subscription and vnet, on-prem to Azure, and Azure to on-prem traffic no matter if I put it through the same or multiple interfaces. Anything outside of the transit vNet basically so the Azure internal loadbalancers know which firewall to send the return traffic.

I don't think I have any choice but to use a typical HA pair in this situation, kind of sucks because of the failover times and not being able to scale-out vs Active/Active with LBs. Can't imagine the headaches and how many things would break if we had do source NATs from remote sites or DC to Azure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You can't do BGP in GCP either, I worked around it by creating a GRE tunnel between the FRR Router and the palos.

You can use these guys for inspiration. We originally used them for our first transit gateway but they wouldn't work with us on pricing so I built their product using FRR for our use case

https://a.aviatrix.com/solutions/next-gen-transit-network-azure.php#panel-firewall

Sepist fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 24, 2021

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I just found this note buried in a deployment guide:

quote:

Azure networking does not require the use of source NAT on the firewall to enforce symmetry if both directions of the flow pass through the same Azure internal load-balancer front-end IP and back-end pool. The private subnets have UDRs directing east-west traffic to the firewall layer, so NAT is not required.

So as long as all my subscriptions/peered vnets and ExpressRoute traffic is all entering via the same front end LB IP, so all subscriptions in the same zone, I won't have to NAT. Kind of sucks not being able to use Zones like on-prem but I was planning to use dynamic objects with tags pulled from ISE anyway. I didn't think about using Azure tags to do the same but our tagging situation is very dire at the moment. Our remote site traffic doesn't pass through the on-prem firewall because our ER peering is with our core switch and not our firewall.

I could technically change that so it's VRF'd or something and goes through the firewall and then I could avoid sending traffic from on-prem through the Azure firewall and just using those for intra-Azure traffic (including the VPN), and Azure to internet. But they're probably not going to want to buy a 10gbit physical firewall pair when we're supposed to be out of this building in 2-3 years and have everything-that-can-be in Azure by 2025.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 25, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I think I asked already but what are people using for NAC?

We have a Forescout I started reconfiguring. Seems old. Is there anything new in this space or is everything zero trust byod blah blah who even has a lan anymore

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've just used Forescout personally. It worked well enough for me when I used it. I've sat through the dog and pony show for ISE, and did a bit with it in labs, but it was pretty pricey as I recall and my company never moved forward with it.

The newer/cooler NAC stuff seems to be more CASB focused, or do CASB with NAC as a throw in.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think I'm missing the correct terminology here, or maybe internet search results are completely polluted these days, but I should be able to do the following.

I will have 2 or 4 bastion hosts located in public clouds with public IPs. I have full access to these hosts. I want to have a series of dynamic ipsec tunnels terminate on those bastions. The tunnel endpoint IPs will be arbitrary, and I want to use public-private key's to identify each endpoint. The endpoints will be Juniper SRXs and the cloud bastions will run ubuntu.

Originally I was thinking I'd have a series of wireguard interfaces on the servers but as I'm reading more about how wireugard works, I'm not actually sure that an SRX can "speak" wireguard, so I may be forced to use something else on the bastions that I can terminate the IPSec tunnel to.

So what is this "something else?" I don't want to use PKI Certs or Pre-shared Keys. I would like to have a generated public/private key-pair on each bastion and on each SRX, and distribute the public-keys between these guys via Chef, and Ansible templates. So basically I should have a list of public keys for the bastions and also for the SRXs and when a new SRX reaches out to a bastion, the bastion should check it's public key list for authenticating the tunnel.

These seems like it should be possible to me, but when I'm google searching all I'm finding is self-signed certs which I'd like to avoid because I don't want to depend on a shared DNS or any other external services for this functionality. Nor do I want to manage secrets.

e: Apparently the options are only PSK or PKI, which mean generating a bunch of bullshit and most distressingly having to put an expiration date :/
Sigh.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2022

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Not sure about Juniper, but it is possible to do raw public key authentication for IPsec tunnels without any certificate nonsense on IOS and Linux/strongSwan

https://dn42.eu/howto/IPsecWithPublicKeys/CiscoIOSExample
https://dn42.eu/howto/IPsecWithPublicKeys/strongSwan5Example

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think Mikrotik supports wireguard if that's an option st the remote sites? If the SRXs are already in place then I dunno.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I was originally going with juniper because of the ease of automation via ansible plus I'm a fan of Junos. This is a bit disappointing to say the least.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The big vendors will be the last to implement wireguard support and it'll probably be not supported on old gear.

I just run wireguard on Linux behind a Fortigate myself but this is kind of the reverse of what you want.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I certainly know little about security stuff but is wiregard an actual rfc standard?

If not then I doubt Juniper cares, and I don't blame them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

falz posted:

I certainly know little about security stuff but is wiregard an actual rfc standard?

If not then I doubt Juniper cares, and I don't blame them.

Yea. Wireguard is slick, but probably too new to be of interest to the vendors, but why the lack of public key auth without having to use a CA?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I mean other vendors may implement it but Juniper won't unless its an actual standard. IDK about the PKI stuff but i also hate cert stuff.

I guess consider me traditional and I just have some VMs that use ssh based transport to wrangle our Junos stuff using netconf / pyez / napalm / etc.

In our case though everything has public IPs so there's no additional routing hurdle or whatever your main motivation is for VPN tunnels. Also the underlying transport is all our layer1 stuff so less to zero concerned about wiretapping or anything like that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wireguard runs on Opnsense, it claims to have Ansible support, and you can buy appliances. I can't vouch for the Ansible part but the product itself is pretty solid. Very much not like Juniper though.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Comedy option: run a container on your SRX to terminate the Wireguard traffic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

tortilla_chip posted:

Comedy option: run a container on your SRX to terminate the Wireguard traffic.

I wonder if the little SRX320 can do that. God this sucks. I am trying so hard to avoid PSKs, but apparently the only other alternative is a full CA system which for a backup OBM that is to be used only if poo poo hits the fan is less than optimal.

CAs suck. They expire after a year, depend on DNS, and reachability to the CA, and can't be dynamically updated on the SRX.

Ok so what is the least lovely way to turn up a CA on my ubuntu hub server? I know almost nothing about how to build that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I wonder if the little SRX320 can do that. God this sucks. I am trying so hard to avoid PSKs, but apparently the only other alternative is a full CA system which for a backup OBM that is to be used only if poo poo hits the fan is less than optimal.

CAs suck. They expire after a year, depend on DNS, and reachability to the CA, and can't be dynamically updated on the SRX.

Ok so what is the least lovely way to turn up a CA on my ubuntu hub server? I know almost nothing about how to build that.

Generating a self-signed PKI isn't too bad.
Put all of this in a shell script. Add as many blocks as you want for client certs.

Install the CA cert on everything that will be authenticating a client cert, distribute the client certs however you want. You shouldn't need a real CA server or anything unless I'm missing something.
If you were fine with using SSH keys as your auth mechanism then you didn't care about things like CRLs or short expiration dates in the first place.
code:
echo "Creating CA key..."
  openssl genrsa \
    -nodes \
    -out ca.key \
    4096 &>/dev/null

echo "Creating CA crt..."
  openssl req \
    -new \
    -x509 \
    -days 99999 \
    -key "$ca.key \
    -out ca.crt \
    -subj "/C=US/ST=CA/L=CITY/O=COMPANY/OU=SRX/CN=DNS.NAME.TLD"

echo "Creating srx key..."
  openssl genrsa \
    -nodes \
    -out srx.key \
    4096 &>/dev/null

echo "Creating srx csr..."
  openssl req \
    -new \
    -key srx.key \
    -out srx.csr \
    -subj "/C=US/ST=CA/L=CITY/O=COMPANY/OU=SRX/CN=DNS.NAME.TLD"

echo "Creating srx crt..."
  openssl x509 \
    -req \
    -days 99999 \
    -in srx.csr \
    -CA ca.crt \
    -CAkey ca.key \
    -out srx.crt  &>/dev/null

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I have a 'problem' and I don't know if I'm just overthinking this and being dumb. I'm trying to transition our DCs from OSPF and EIGRP to just OSPF in the DC with BGP for ExpressRoute. Today I did the first part of it which was enabling OSPF everywhere and configuring mutual redistribution between OSPF and EIGRP on both our Core switches (with route tags & maps to deny tagged, redistributed routes) other than a few problems I eventually got it finished.

I was looking at a route like this one I've diagrammed, 10 hours after i started the work, being advertised and working correctly but to me it seems like it shouldn't be?

Core 2 learns the 10.100/16 prefix over EIGRP Ex, installs it with AD 170. Then that gets redistributed into OSPF. Core 1 is peered with Core 2 using EIGRP and OSPF, so Core 1 installs the OSPF redistributed route as it's AD is 110, vs 170 for EIGRP Ex. Now, wouldn't Core 1 advertise that route back to Core 2 over OSPF? And Core 2 would then install that OSPF AD 110 route and cause a route flap? Or is Core 2 not installing that new OSPF route because of loop prevention in intra-area OSPF/knowing the full linkstate database of every router in Area 0? For some reason I thought that wouldn't apply because it's not installed in the global RIB by OSPF.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I have a seemingly goofy design question.

Right now we only have a single uplink from our primary ISP. They have a single device on our premise (redundant paths out). I assume we can get an additional port from them, but am just pondering.

Here is how we currently connect.

So our connection to them only runs to one firewall in the virtual chassis. If that FW Node 1 drops offline (failure, software updates, whatever), we drop this connection.

I was thinking about tossing in a device between my firewall virtual chassis, then that would connect to each of the firewalls in the the VC for failover. Extremely low maintenance device, as I prefer as little downtime as possible for this route.

I was originally thinking of just an older L3 switch, and just trunk through the ISP connection to each firewall. But I would still prefer to keep said device updated software wise. Also was looking at the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN.

The QNAP talk got me thinking more, unmanaged L2 switch. Zero patching, just passin' traffic.

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/qsw-1208-8c

Would shoving this thing between my ISP and my FW VC be a horrendous idea? It claims it can do 120Gbps of "non-blocking throughput", if we trust their spec sheet. And if we trust this device not randomly failing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have two fibres coming in from your ISP you can usually get them to terminate on two routers which run VRRP, so I'd ask them. Having the redundant paths is usually the expensive bit so only using a single router seems like a small cost saving for not a great reason.

You're right that running this all through a single switch would then introduce another single point of failure. You could do a pair of CRS309 switches, one connected to each ISP router and then create a LAG to each of your firewalls - the MikroTik switches support MLAG now in ROS7.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Multi-chassis+Link+Aggregation+Group

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You can also just use a VRF/non-routable VLAN on your core switch and do the HSRP through those dumb interfaces. So you'd have two interfaces for your firewall and two for your router going into that VLAN/VRF on the Core.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes I am dumb :downs:. Of course you can do that, I've even done it that way before and just had a brain fart.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah, the "ISP" isn't really an ISP. It is some sort of utopian regional backbone that a bunch of local governments organized (actually a pretty interesting thing to get redundant backhaul in our area down to an IX).

While this site does have physically diverse fiber paths out, there are not currently plans to add in a second "ISP" switch at this location.

My virtual chassis on the edge is 2x Juniper SRX1500 firewalls. The "ISP" gear at this site is a Ciena 5170.

I was planning on just doing a Redundant Ethernet (RETH) interface on the SRX VC, with a single port on each FW added to it. I shouldn't have to bother setting up VRRP with the "ISP". RETH interfaces share a common MAC address. If the VC fails over the primary device, the other FW will send out a gratuitous ARP request, thus moving traffic over to the new primary device.

Unless the Ciena is doing something goofy, a dumb L2 switch between my VC and the Ciena should fit the bill.

Edit: Yes, if I get a second pair of fibers coming from the Ciena switch, I could trunk those through my core cluster. I am just scheming up something that doesn't involve getting them to give me a second switchport.

Double late edit: If I got two pairs of fiber coming from the Ciena, they would just go straight into each FW. This has been a long week.

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 4, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It makes sense if you're doing it for redundancy reasons to assist with maintenance, but if it's for availability then you need to be sure that a dumb switch and its power brick are less likely to fail than your primary firewall. Though if it's an option to be offline until someone can get to site you could always just buy two of whatever switch you decide.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That is very true. I don't know how much I actually trust that QNAP switch or the cheap little wall wart power supply.

I'll probably just reach out to the folks who manage this backbone network and see about getting a second uplink.

I live way too close to said site, and would be the idiot going in there to scissor kick the dumb switch once it shits the bed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A small switch with two ports that fail-to-wire would be ideal, but I have no idea if they exist

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have ISP's that only give a single port (or want to charge like $5k) so we just split that into 2 using a gigabit 5 port netgear

Those things will run for fuckin ever

And this way we can still do firmware upgrades and failover firewalls without physically connecting/disconnecting

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you have firewalls in a cluster, do not single home anything to them. Use your core switch and use a lag that connects each member of the firewall cluster to each core-switch. Connect single homed connections, like ISP links to the core-switch, while the firewall use some kind of virtual interface to run whatever protocols you need to run across that single connection. If you have dual connnections, then you'll do the same thing, but the physical connection will terminate on each core-switch, and the firewall will have some kind of virtual interface to run BGP/VRRP etc across those connections.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Why would your ISP plug directly into your core, that doesn't make any sense, use an edge switch (or 2) to plug your ISP into and run that to your firewall.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The isolated VLAN/VRF/Context-like feature your Core has is functioning as the edge switch. Physically it would be:

Core -> Firewall -> Core -> ISP

Logically, your flow/routing would still be:

Core -> Firewall -> ISP

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
A "WAN" switch (or switches) to split single links (WAN / ISP / etc) to multiple downstream devices is a pretty common configuration.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The isolated VLAN/VRF/Context-like feature your Core has is functioning as the edge switch. Physically it would be:

Core -> Firewall -> Core -> ISP

Logically, your flow/routing would still be:

Core -> Firewall -> ISP

Yeah I mean, I get it, but I wouldn't trust that someone wouldn't gently caress that config up, or the vendor gently caress up, to where it's less secure, I'd prefer to keep an edge switch/stack to separate the edge and LAN.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What if you have redundant cores? Then you'd be using like 3/3/3/3 and still have to split it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a canonical diagram of a network with the core, distribution, access setup?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MF_James posted:

Yeah I mean, I get it, but I wouldn't trust that someone wouldn't gently caress that config up, or the vendor gently caress up, to where it's less secure, I'd prefer to keep an edge switch/stack to separate the edge and LAN.

I'm assuming that you don't have seperate edge switches, if you do then yea, use those.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Is it just me or have Cisco's websites been making GBS threads the bed lately? Been having downloads fail over the past couple of days and now the case manager just... isn't loading.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just tried to look something up and their site is dead, as is the Meraki partner portal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just logged into our Meraki admin portal successfully. The Meraki app is also working OK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can I have an idiot check for me here:

our ISP have given us a new box and told me to configure the ISR ourselves.

they provided a WAN subnet of x.x.x.48/30 with their box being x.x.x.49/30, so I connect that to g0/0/0 and set g0/0/0 to x.x.x.50/30.

I can ping x.x.x.49 successfully from the router,

I set 0.0.0.0/0 to use x.x.x.49 as the default route

At first I could ping 8.8.8.8 successfully as a test.

I then connected a machine to g0/0/1, made those 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 and could successfully ping from the machine on 10.0.0.2 to x.x.x.49, but not to 8.8.8.8 as NAT is not enabled.

However on the router I can also no longer ping to 8.8.8.8, it just times out.

So what stupid obvious thing am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Your ISP's router at .49 never should have responded to a ping from 10.0.0.2. I guess it's possible they're routing RFC1918 space back to your router as a way of keeping that off the Internet, but urpf or even null routing it would be better.

As for pinging 8.8.8.8 from your router, it's probably trying to ping from gig0/0/1 as the source interface. Try specifying the originating interface on your ping.

ping 8.8.8.8 source x.x.x.50.