Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

Remember: performing in the green screen hellscape known as The Hobbit was so torturous that it reduced Ian McKellen to tears.

mlyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

or you just stick a gopro on a barrel and pretend that nobody will be able to tell the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA

the decision to make the cgi bad guys stand infront of raging rapids so the contrast couldn't be stronger is incredible

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This reminds me of another video of some dude absolutely RAGING on a similar style coaster, and he ends up slamming into the girl in front of him.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ChesterJT posted:

Wow I didn't know they had cameras that good when Action Park was still open...

I rode the one at Action Park a few times, and made it through with forearms intact. I can't say the same for other people I saw that day.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Sammus posted:

This reminds me of another video of some dude absolutely RAGING on a similar style coaster, and he ends up slamming into the girl in front of him.

He slammed into her so hard it knocked her out. It was like a 30 year old man and an 8 year girl iirc.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Homeless Friend posted:

the decision to make the cgi bad guys stand infront of raging rapids so the contrast couldn't be stronger is incredible

Even better than that, in theaters this was one of the first if not the first film released in 48fps. The effect of that was that there was waaaay more visual data and you could far more easily make out resin props like Gandalf's staff having a straight seam in it from manufacturing and so on. In theatres it looked way, way worse that it does on youtube. It was amazing how bad it looked. I saw it in theatres and it was almost on the level of looking for hidden cameras and thinking it was a prank showing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Even better than that, in theaters this was one of the first if not the first film released in 48fps. The effect of that was that there was waaaay more visual data and you could far more easily make out resin props like Gandalf's staff having a straight seam in it from manufacturing and so on. In theatres it looked way, way worse that it does on youtube. It was amazing how bad it looked. I saw it in theatres and it was almost on the level of looking for hidden cameras and thinking it was a prank showing.

48 fps and 3d

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
https://twitter.com/Goopypanther/status/1485815264918720513

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tunicate posted:

48 fps and 3d

This is how I saw it and good lordy it was awful. The film is irredeemable poo poo but the visuals were atrocious.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

For 20 year old films LOTR only has a few janky special effects in them, but they weren't made with HD in mind. I'm sure if you were to watch them on DVD on an old tube TV they'd look flawless. No clue why The Hobbits looked so careless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sigher posted:

This is how I saw it and good lordy it was awful. The film is irredeemable poo poo but the visuals were atrocious.

I was working with a team building a VR demo of Smaug’s lair or something with WETA assets, and someone who had worked on the Hobbit came by to see a demo of it. While we were waiting for his turn in the demo room, the person inside it could be loudly heard to exclaim “this looks so much better than the Hobbit, what a piece of poo poo that was”, and Hobbit dude looked pretty surprised and pissed. But surely he must have known it looked awful, and that people talked about that?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/tubegobbled/status/1486102452097142790

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

For 20 year old films LOTR only has a few janky special effects in them, but they weren't made with HD in mind. I'm sure if you were to watch them on DVD on an old tube TV they'd look flawless. No clue why The Hobbits looked so careless.

The production schedule was a total mess after they turfed Del Toro and threw out 18 months of pre production then turned 2 films into 3 and rushed the whole mess out without giving VFX enough time to do their job properly. I just watched that Lindsay Ellis series on YouTube about this yesterday when someone here linked it

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

grittyreboot posted:

IMO, it’s Prequel Trilogy Syndrome - the CG in those is atrocious, and it’s largely because George Lucas decided that he was no longer constrained by the limits of reality thanks to CG and decided to basically make ILM make him a cartoon with actors dancing around on top of it sometimes.

Ironically, that’s not too far off from how blockbusters are made today. But even as recently as The Hobbit, things just weren’t there yet.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Gotta post the chaos that was the 1906 pre-earthquake San Francisco streets, although apparently this video was partially staged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8

edit: this was all gone four days later

Who knew, Rendezvous was a remake!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYOMFayruw

Holy catfish, that was 10 pages ago. Sorry about that.

wankel13b fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 26, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fuckin music is just as tyte as that wheelie/donut.

A+++++

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Get that man a forklift.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

grittyreboot posted:

They were made with a movie theater in mind. 35mm film has higher resolution than 4k.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

EoinCannon posted:

The production schedule was a total mess after they turfed Del Toro and threw out 18 months of pre production then turned 2 films into 3 and rushed the whole mess out without giving VFX enough time to do their job properly. I just watched that Lindsay Ellis series on YouTube about this yesterday when someone here linked it

Reposting since the conversation's still going in case some folks missed it. It doesn't redeem the movies, really, but it does make them make sense. It's a quality watch and I can see why it got the Hugo nom. Even goes into how the movie radically affected New Zealand labor laws.

This is part one: (last time, I promise)
https://youtu.be/uTRUQ-RKfUs

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Fully Sikh

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Hawai‘i has the nēnē.

They’re cool. Don’t shoot them.

Oooo those are pretty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the hobbit opens with this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5BETb-hLgA

and if that doesn't get you completely fuckin fired up to go on an adventure into the misty mountains to find the long-forgotten gold, there's something wrong with you.

but that is the highest point of the whole thing. everything is downhill from ten minutes in.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Why is it that I wanna hang out with this dude but not his American redneck equivalent?

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Blue Moonlight posted:

IMO, it’s Prequel Trilogy Syndrome - the CG in those is atrocious, and it’s largely because George Lucas decided that he was no longer constrained by the limits of reality thanks to CG and decided to basically make ILM make him a cartoon with actors dancing around on top of it sometimes.

Ironically, that’s not too far off from how blockbusters are made today. But even as recently as The Hobbit, things just weren’t there yet.

The first hobbit movie came out in 2012

Iron Man 2 released in 2010.

Avengers came out in 2012.

300 came out in 2007

Good CGI and effective meshing of actors with digital sets wasnt some unexplored frontier, they just hosed it up and didn’t give post production enough time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

deoju posted:

Why is it that I wanna hang out with this dude but not his American redneck equivalent?

Because you are drenched in classist American stereotypes and don't realize that rednecks are the same everywhere, i.e. they party like motherfuckers and occasionally have some extremely challenging opinions.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No war but class war.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Kenning posted:

Because you are drenched in classist American stereotypes and don't realize that rednecks are the same everywhere, i.e. they party like motherfuckers and occasionally have some extremely challenging opinions.

yeah but there's something so much more charming about hearing "you must never respect a woman" or "gay people are disgusting" in a fun accent like indian

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I don't want to blow up my friend's youtube channel with tens of views, so here's a neat before & after: (shovel for scale)

The man in the dark blue hoodie took a good 20 seconds before standing up; I believe some pants were poo poo that day.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Some really excellent replies to that tweet, including this one. Power level: over 9000

https://twitter.com/tubegobbled/status/1486186556759187459

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Color coordinating your turban with your tractor is loving rad.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I feel like they are destroying their soil?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Buller posted:

I feel like they are destroying their soil?

How do you "destroy" soil by moving it around?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Sammus posted:

It's this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA_nJDz38GM

Sound recommended

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Hey kid, ever seen a bunch of forklifts fuckle a train?

https://i.imgur.com/hsLcdZg.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A+ quality. Will fuckle again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

here's the full version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0tf0q_9jGA

It's more obvious when she gets out of the coaster and stands next to her father that she's like, 10

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rahu posted:

Hey kid, ever seen a bunch of forklifts fuckle a train?

This needs an Attenborough narration.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ILL Machina posted:

Reposting since the conversation's still going in case some folks missed it. It doesn't redeem the movies, really, but it does make them make sense. It's a quality watch and I can see why it got the Hugo nom. Even goes into how the movie radically affected New Zealand labor laws.

This is part one: (last time, I promise)
https://youtu.be/uTRUQ-RKfUs

Recently watched this on Gemini Man, which was filmed in 4k, 3D, 120 fps.

https://youtu.be/qlGdHd-XHcY

It takes so much light to render each frame that it could only be filmed in bright daylight or flooded by artifical lights, which washes out the image and flattens everything.

I can see Hobbit suffering from the same issues going 3D, 48 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Don't overlook the problem of it being a production run by the studio. There's so much poo poo wrong with big budget filmmaking in the past fifteen years, but the absolute worst is studio execs taking over a lot of what had been the director's job and running it by committee even before the director is actually on board. Studio interference has always been a thing going right back to Thomas Edison, it's just gotten so much worse.

Those boring, personality-less CGI driven action scenes that add nothing to the movie? That stuff happens because the scenes are planned, developed, and have production started on them months and sometimes years before things like a script or director is decided.

That seemed to be the biggest single problem with the Hobbit movies to my eyes. Well, at least the problems that appeared on screen.