Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Feels like she hesitated because she's upset she never gets invited to any parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Do any work-from-home goons have good chair recommendations? Been meaning to get a new chair for ages since WfH has become permanent and since trialing a desk yesterday my neck is hurting from craning up to look at the screen whenever I’m in seated mode, so it’s suddenly annoyingly urgent ☹️

If your company won't supply you one then I can recommend finding the local 2nd hand office supplier and getting a chair from them. The companies with VC money will throw out their barely used Herman Miller equivalents and these ccan be had for very little.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I bought a “gaming chair” for my office use and it’s great. Very adjustable and comfortable. Only problem is you look like a wannabe streamer.

Regarding office chairs - sites like reyooz allow you to get ex office clear outs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I like Markus, he's a good chair, but not at all adjustable so YMMV

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

stev posted:

Feels like she hesitated because she's upset she never gets invited to any parties.

It's just that split second taken to work out 'how likely is it that I'll be caught out' and 'how hosed will I be if I am'.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I'm currently chatting with a Danish friend, and she's told me that 'Party' in Danish is 'Fester', and so they are now starting to call Boris 'Uncle Fester'. It's quite apt.

lol

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Red Oktober posted:

I bought a “gaming chair” for my office use and it’s great. Very adjustable and comfortable. Only problem is you look like a wannabe streamer.
My buddy who's worked from home for decades swears his ridiculous gaming chair is the best 4 figures he ever spent

Makes his house look like crap tho, personally I favour a simple combination of a sleek, minimalist chair, a posture corrector, and crippling back pain

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

I'm currently chatting with a Danish friend, and she's told me that 'Party' in Danish is 'Fester', and so they are now starting to call Boris 'Uncle Fester'. It's quite apt.

There is a subtle difference

actually maybe not lol:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always assumed gaming chairs were like wedding cakes - probably fine but mega-overpriced compared to an office chair or normal cake.

Also most gaming chairs make you look dumb as previously noted

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Jarvfjallet is a pretty nice chair. I prefer them to Markus.

As a bonus, optional arms, so if you don't like them you don't have to have them on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Blimey, if they can afford to buy you one of those, ask for more money instead.

Aerons are actually pretty cheap considering they're effectively indestructible - there's ones in my office that are left over from the dotcom era when they were part of the tech company starter pack with an SGI desktop and a 21" Trinitron. Funny thing is they're not actually that comfortable, at least without investing hours in tweaking them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When I started working from home I found a local office furniture supplier that catered to small businesses and they were happy to provide a recommendation.

I ended up getting a 24-hour chair, the kind that are designed for 24 hour call centres with hotdesking so that the chairs are expected to be in constant use, since my main issue with office chairs from Ikea has been the cushion material compressing over time to the point where it provides little support. Has an inflatable lumbar cushion and fully adjustable in terms of height, seat position, tilt, recline, etc. I think it cost me about £230.

What I will say from experience now is that the thing that for me made the single biggest difference to my comfort at a desk in terms of the chair was the adjustable armrests. Get the armrests to exactly level with the desk so that your forearms lie flat when you're using the mouse and keyboard. Makes sitting all day at a computer muuuuch more comfortable.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I bought an 'office chair' offamazon for about a hundred quid and when it turned up it looked nothing like the photo, but was in fact a bottom rung gamer chair that makes me look like a 14 year old Fortnite player but isn't even very comfortable, so go me I guess. Best of both worlds.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aerons are actually pretty cheap considering they're effectively indestructible - there's ones in my office that are left over from the dotcom era when they were part of the tech company starter pack with an SGI desktop and a 21" Trinitron. Funny thing is they're not actually that comfortable, at least without investing hours in tweaking them.

I was very excited when I started in a place that had Aerons. Until I started using it and was really disappointed.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Triple recommending getting a second hand office one, as much as you can afford. I got a 'last one in the warehouse' bargain german chair I never heard of for £200, and it's built like a loving tank with everything adjustable and so comfy. You can get a bargain on some execs barely used overspec office ornament that is actually a drat good 24-hour rated ergonomic desk chair. It replaced a ~£140+ off amazon one that was cheap plastic crap in comparison that lasted just over a year, so add that to the Vimes Boots theory pile.
Buying a second hand executives chair and using it to post here is praxis.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

When I bought a series 1 Mirra brand new about ten years ago even the Herman Miller showroom bod recommended against buying an Aeron, despite it reducing her commission to do so. The Mirra is a great chair, just as durable as the Aeron and more supportive for 60% of the price. (It's also 96% recyclable, apparently.)

One important thing to note if you buy a second hand HM chair is that you should ask for the original paperwork. All Herman Millers have a full 12 year warranty and the vast majority of second hand ones will still be covered. Most significantly, having been launched in 2013 every Mirra 2 is still under warranty.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Start of 2020 my company gave everyone a £150 expense allowance to buy what you need, so I got this and a folding laptop stand. It's very comfortable, would recommend.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 26, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I opted for a chair that would not fall apart under my weight; got a living room chair (sort of tub type) and threw another seat cushion on it to raise the level and called it a day.

It does not spin nor wheel about, it just sits there and does not break (£230, ten or so years ago).

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Borrovan posted:

gaming chair

4 figures

jesus :homebrew:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
The previous tenants of the flat I rent left behind a H&M Aeron which has been great for home working purposes but I would be pretty dissapointed if I dropped circa £1k on it.

Need to see if its on the inventory so I can take it with me and/or sell it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
65 quid delivered tomorrow

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the Teslacle

The four figures of gaming chair

Speaking of which, I can't believe I've been missing out on this level of intellectual high discourse
https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1486103450446303234

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

TACD posted:

Do any work-from-home goons have good chair recommendations? Been meaning to get a new chair for ages since WfH has become permanent and since trialing a desk yesterday my neck is hurting from craning up to look at the screen whenever I’m in seated mode, so it’s suddenly annoyingly urgent ☹️

I got a Wave Ergonomic High Back Task Chair from officefurniturewarehouse.co.uk for ~150 quid. The website may seem sus (no-name and looks 90s af, pay via credit card over the phone iirc), but I got my chair delivered to my door next day, and the chair absolutely owns.
As a Rather Tall Lad, having proper back support is great, as is having adjustable lumbar support, adjustable height, being able to lean back, and good arm rests (also adjustable). It's an investment in being comfortable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the Teslacle

We knew he'd break into the lucrative Sybian market eventually

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Beeb showing it all by pivoting about Johnson, and blaming it it on No. 10

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hosed up that a building invited all those people and cakes inside to torment its poor inhabitant.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, I can't believe I've been missing out on this level of intellectual high discourse
https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1486103450446303234

Sounds like joe rogan at least called him out a little on it... would be interested to see where that goes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now will Starmer perform for PMQs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Starmer go on joe rogan

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But have you ever banned DMT while on DMT?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Boris's new line is he cannot comment because of an ongoing investigation.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Bojo officially saying he can't comment on an ongoing police investigation, lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Starmer: "since he agrees he breached the ministerial code, will he now resign?"

Johnson: "no. mr speaker the member opposite wanted a lockdown"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

OzyMandrill posted:

I got a 'last one in the warehouse' bargain german chair...built like a loving tank

Oh ja, der Panzerarbeitersitz I, sehr bequem!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Johnson is really desperately trying to pivot. I don't think I've seen it look so desperate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There should be some sort of penalty for pivoting to irrelevant talking points rather than answering a question.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lot of posh mooing noises today

E: lol the concerted groaning when Blackford is called up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Amazing insult from Johnson

"He's a lawyer not a leader"

bitch you hid for days over the party poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys