Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The tv executive who murders her lover when he doesn't promote her alienates everyone and ends up getting fired too. Columbo has a real 70s view on women in business.

That character has a fantastic breakdown scene. One of the best scenes of the entire series I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdVFI2cZ4mI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Less than a minute into the second McGoohan episode, 'Identity Crisis', and I already can't take it seriously because the soon-to-be-victim (judging from his "special appearance by" credit) is Frank Drebin.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Great little bit in Robert Culp's first episode where the attempted cover up of the crime is played in the lenses of his glasses

https://i.imgur.com/rKwHNsx.mp4

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

Great little bit in Robert Culp's first episode where the attempted cover up of the crime is played in the lenses of his glasses

Well to tell you the truth sir, I knew it was you from the first moment I first meet you. You see sir, you forgot to turn on the replay of the murder on your glasses. I just could'nt get it out of my head. And you know how these little things keep me up all night.

Also just realised the evidence that catches Culp out at the end of that episode was a contact lens...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Robert Culp's presence in any given episode of Columbo is a guarantee of quality. Plus they probably do some cool camera tricks.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ultrabindu posted:

I love any episode of Columbo that does a fun camera thing. Like how in the John Cassavetes episode, he goes to the scene of the crime to retrieve a corsage and they have it flash in his sunglasses.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I Am Fowl posted:

I love any episode of Columbo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i watch the episode with the german guy with the bad hair. it wasn't one of my favorites but i am glad the german guy with the bad hair was defeated, because i really disliked his hair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FilthyImp posted:

God I can't remember the drat episode but there's one where Columbo ends up going to talk to a database clerk and it's just delightfully awkward how put off he is by the whole thing

E: ah, it's "An Exercise in Fatality". After waiting for lile 10 minutes for a print-out of a person's phone number, Columbo make a call and leaves a message:
"Hello. This is Lieutenant Columbo: homicide. It's very important that I talk to you. You can call me at the main precinct. The number there is: you can look that up."

this has one of the worst "gotchas" of a columbo episode (and theres quite a few) Life in prison because of the loops on a guys shoe lace.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Columbo vs Deaf Chess master was an okay ep, meandered around far too long in the middle before picking up at the end.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I Am Fowl posted:

I love any episode of Columbo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Reached 'Agenda for Murder', the third McGoohan episode. Have to admit, I did not see the gotcha coming the cheese. It's so much fun watching Falk and McGoohan repeatedly square off against each other. You can tell both actors are having a great time. The moment when Columbo thrusts the arrest warrant in Finch's face after he thinks he's delivered a perfect 'gently caress you' is pure deadpan comedy.

The jump from McGoohan appearances in season 4 to 9 and Columbo now having to pay attention to things like forensics is pretty amusing too. As is the laboured explanation for the older audience of what the hell this new-fangled gadget the "fax machine" is, which has now gone the other way to be necessary for younger viewers. (Reminds me of when 1960s shows Mission: Impossible and Department S both had episodes revolving around wire recordings, which were dated then but now might as well be clay tablets.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Labored explanations of cutting-edge (extremely outdated) technology is one of my favorite parts of Columbo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Labored explanations of cutting-edge (extremely outdated) technology is one of my favorite parts of Columbo

Shoelaces have come a long way.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Payndz posted:

Reached 'Agenda for Murder', the third McGoohan episode

this is the latest one I've seen and I am extremely sad I only have 17 Columbos left.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Watched through the original run and a few of the renewal episodes a few years ago. I was moving and had a PC but no internet so I sat around watching local media for a few days.

My least favorite murderer is the dude with the wine vault who knocks out his brother(?), ties him up in the vault and leaves him to starve to death over a long weekend :gonk: And Colombo seems to actually like him, keeps asking him about wine pairings and poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Takes No Damage posted:

Watched through the original run and a few of the renewal episodes a few years ago. I was moving and had a PC but no internet so I sat around watching local media for a few days.

My least favorite murderer is the dude with the wine vault who knocks out his brother(?), ties him up in the vault and leaves him to starve to death over a long weekend :gonk: And Colombo seems to actually like him, keeps asking him about wine pairings and poo poo.

Half brother, and it apparently turning off the air meant his half brother suffocated in there. It took me a few watches to get it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That was the Donald Pleasence episode! Yeah, I found it odd the way not only how Columbo came to like him, but lots of reviewers say he was a sympathetic villain. Maybe it's because Pleasence has a long history of playing villains (he was Blofeld, for chrissakes!), but he attacks his - admittedly kind of an rear end in a top hat - brother in a fit of rage which is clearly always not far beneath the surface ("Liquid FILTH!") and then immediately works out an elaborate and utterly cold-blooded way to kill him and dispose of the body that makes it look like an accident. Carsini might be a good boss, but he never comes across as a pleasant :haw: person.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Weird how if he'd just shot him or cut the brakes on his car or something it wouldn't seem so bad to me.

Unrelated

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Another neat little visual gag when Jack Cassidy gets a guy to murder Mickey Spillane

https://i.imgur.com/zKapUKc.mp4

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

say what now?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Tanning bed accident.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gianni is loving hilarious and were I an eccentric billionaire, I'd almost commission an animated Columbo just to have him voice it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CKjELxHhg

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 20, 2022

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Wait a minute do we know Columbos first name?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I Love Loosies posted:

Depends on how trustworthy you think his ID was in Dead Weight (s01e03)

Like, canonically nobody knows his first name.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 21, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

I Love Loosies posted:

"Lieutenant."

I liked the bit in the McGoohan-as-murderous-lawyer ep where Columbo asks for the politician's autograph for his wife and the guy asks who he should sign it to. "Mrs Columbo."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Payndz posted:

"Lieutenant."

I liked the bit in the McGoohan-as-murderous-lawyer ep where Columbo asks for the politician's autograph for his wife and the guy asks who he should sign it to. "Mrs Columbo."

Falk did one of those Dean Martin Roasts in character as Columbo, and revealed that her first name is "Rose".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't know why but I always thought his name was Frank.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

it feels very wrong to me for columbo to have any first name that isn't extremely italian

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Nope, must be one of those false memories. Mandela Effect type of thing, I guess. Definitely never happened.

They said his name was Frank in one episode but retconned it soon after.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Columbo's first name is never actually said (apart from possibly in No Time To Die, which has a nephew who calls him "uncle cosmo") but his police badge is shown a couple of times and it does seem to show his name as Frank:

Anytime someone asks though he just says it's "Lieutenant" or that he has a name but only his wife calls him that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it feels very wrong to me for columbo to have any first name that isn't extremely italian

"Frank" could be the short, Anglicized form of "Francesco."

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
From https://columbophile.com/2018/03/18/was-lieutenant-columbos-first-name-really-frank/

According to props, his first name is Frank.

According to a trivia encyclopedia and Trivial Pursuit, his first name is Philip.

According to the show's creators, he's intentionally not given a first name.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CaptainCaveman posted:

From https://columbophile.com/2018/03/18/was-lieutenant-columbos-first-name-really-frank/

According to a trivia encyclopedia and Trivial Pursuit, his first name is Philip.

If you read that article, the Phillip thing is actually pretty great.
The guy who wrote the trivia encyclopedia put that "fact" in his encyclopedia because he thought Trivial Pursuit was ripping him off, and it turned out he was right and he was able to use it in a lawsuit (although it was dismissed).

I think Columbo would appreciate that move.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Frank Columbo fits better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

His name is Frank, god dammit. It's right there on his badge and I know I didn't imagine it.

:colbert:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna make like iris dement and let the mystery be. Hell, I'm content with naming him like a hurricane or a storm -- if Columbo is walking towards you, you're probably already hosed.

(Saw Iris play the Bijou theatre in Knoxville years ago. Forgot the words to that very damned song in the middle of playing it. Funny watching the scene unfold as a few people in the first couple of rows yelled the lyrics to her)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Reached the last McGoohan episode. drat, Eric Prince (lol at that name in hindsight) was the most dickish of his four killers. The actual murder was an understandable crime of necessity, but he just had to be a prick to Columbo about it, which made his inevitable downfall all the more satisfying. Really, they could probably have done the entire show as a two-handed play with McGoohan playing a different murderer every week and Falk grinding him into defeat each time.

But I'm glad they didn't because, since I misread the Wikipedia episode guide and watched 'Murder With Too Many Notes' (which McGoohan directed) first, I would have been denied Billy Connolly as the most frustrated Glaswegian murderer not to be caught by Taggart. The scenes where he's following Columbo home were a thing of beauty as he gets more and more pissed off until Columbo is literally in his car winding him up.

Actually, the scene in 'Ashes To Ashes' where Falk is quizzing McGoohan and Sally Kellerman on exactly what his "grief counselling" entailed was also great - full-on "master of my domain" 90s euphemisms all the way. I never appreciated just how funny the show was when I was younger.

I guess now I've done all the McGoohans, I'll have to go back to disc 1 with this promising young tyro director. Wonder what will become of him?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Payndz posted:

I guess now I've done all the McGoohans, I'll have to go back to disc 1 with this promising young tyro director. Wonder what will become of him?

Last time I saw that kid he was working with Robbie the Robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have returned from a recent meme expedition to bring relevant content: