Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The cap doesn't exist until hoo boy does it exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The problem with riding a tiger isn’t so much riding the tiger, it’s how do you get off of the tiger without getting mauled.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr. Nice! posted:

The problem with riding a tiger isn’t so much riding the tiger, it’s how do you get off of the tiger without getting mauled.

solution: stay on tiger (which is basically what the Saints are doing by spreading the pain out in to 2023 and beyond)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Disband the team, regroup as the Baton Rouge Bombers.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean could anyone look at the past four or five seasons in New Orleans and argue that this upcoming three years of darkness wasn't totally worth it? We're talking THREE divisional round appearances and even a divisional round victory!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can see his stripes but you know he’s clean

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

I mean could anyone look at the past four or five seasons in New Orleans and argue that this upcoming three years of darkness wasn't totally worth it? We're talking THREE divisional round appearances and even a divisional round victory!

I have lived through times where yes I would have thought this was worth it. And...well I'm just guessing you probably have too.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

I have lived through times where yes I would have thought this was worth it. And...well I'm just guessing you probably have too.

Right, either of us would take that in the years when our teams either started or flirted with starting Matt Cassel.

But our teams have quarterbacks now. The Saints had Drew Brees and completely sold out every year for a Super Bowl and ended up with just a conference championship appearance to show for it. Now, the Saints have to wait until 2025 to even be able to earnestly begin a proper rebuild.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Live by the Loomis Magic, die by the Loomis Magic.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

Right, either of us would take that in the years when our teams either started or flirted with starting Matt Cassel.

But our teams have quarterbacks now. The Saints had Drew Brees and completely sold out every year for a Super Bowl and ended up with just a conference championship appearance to show for it. Now, the Saints have to wait until 2025 to even be able to earnestly begin a proper rebuild.

Getting to the Super Bowl is hard. Fans of this current Bills team should understand that pretty well.

The team has been competitive and fun to watch for a really long time. Brees leaving was always going to be a tough transition and Payton bouncing at the same time means they could have the best cap situation in the league and they’d still be hosed because it’s extremely hard to find a good QB and even harder to find a good coach and they’ve got to do both. If anything I imagine pushing the rebuild up would have made Payton bounce sooner.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Getting to the Super Bowl is hard. Fans of this current Bills team should understand that pretty well.

Getting to the SB in the AFC is quite the bitch these days.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's literally the only way forward, no?

The Lions basically said gently caress 2021 and ruined the team to clear for the future.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

pasaluki posted:

Getting to the SB in the AFC is quite the bitch these days.

I will continue to bang the drum that BB and TB broke fans' brains as to how many Super Bowl appearances and wins teams "should" have.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

fsif posted:

Saints had Heartbreakers in 17 & 18, and then just shat the bed in 19 and 20 because whoops, brees was too old. It happens, just like the bills will get to experience having one of the best teams and maybe getting one ring because the chiefs are gonna take them all except for a year mahomes has to spend a year in prison for assaulting his brother after he can't stand his tiktoks anymore.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

Saints had Heartbreakers in 17 & 18, and then just shat the bed in 19 and 20 because whoops, brees was too old. It happens, just like the bills will get to experience having one of the best teams and maybe getting one ring because the chiefs are gonna take them all except for a year mahomes has to spend a year in prison for assaulting his brother after he can't stand his tiktoks anymore.

Absolutely no way he'd be convicted - it could be posted on tiktok and there wouldn't be a single witness

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1486383953753874434

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1486384302556389383

:3:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Never!!!

Logging off is the sign of a quitter.

What if you never logged on

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hizawk posted:

The Lions basically said gently caress 2021 and ruined the team to clear for the future.

Eh, somebody else ruined the team for them, they just decided to go along with it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fsif posted:

Rodgers didn't even have the courage of his convictions until he got caught. He tried to pass himself off as vaccinated.

Yeah, this is pretty much it for me. I can respect someone who just comes out and says "I'm not going to get the shot and I'll quietly deal with the repercussions" (not agree with, but at least respect), but the fact he hid it then acted high and mighty, dude can gently caress off.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, I dunno if I respect somebody saying "Hey, it's fine if I get this potentially deadly, highly communicable disease because I have access to the best medical care in the world, but if I spread it to a bunch of other people, sucks to suck, I guess.", but yes, that's a step above lying about it.

Because at least in the former camp, you're still wearing a loving mask.

Nov 6, 2002

Woozie66 posted:

I will continue to bang the drum that BB and TB broke fans' brains as to how many Super Bowl appearances and wins teams "should" have.

The Manning Broncos went to two Super Bowls.

The Wilson Seahawks went to two Super Bowls back to back.

The Eli Giants went to two Super Bowls.

The Manning Colts went to two Super Bowls.

The Rapist Steelers went to three Super Bowls.

The Warner Rams went to two Super Bowls.

The Elway Broncos went to two Super Bowls back to back.

The Favre Packers went to two Super Bowls

etc ...

Even if you subscribe to your theory, the Rodgers Packers have still underwhelmed compared to other non-Pats teams with franchise QBs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/DrawPlayDave/status/1486386950269329408

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The team has been competitive and fun to watch for a really long time. Brees leaving was always going to be a tough transition and Payton bouncing at the same time means they could have the best cap situation in the league and they’d still be hosed because it’s extremely hard to find a good QB and even harder to find a good coach and they’ve got to do both. If anything I imagine pushing the rebuild up would have made Payton bounce sooner.

Right, I do understand that and I feel pretty strongly that it's more likely than not that Josh Allen will never win a Super Bowl.

But teams with franchise quarterbacks and good coaches are in the playoff mix by default pretty much every season. The Saints went to extraordinary lengths to circumvent the cap and didn't get anything more than you'd expect from a your bog standard perennial contender. Now, it's sounding like three consecutive seasons of medicine taking; that's unheard of!

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The Manning Broncos went to two Super Bowls.

The Wilson Seahawks went to two Super Bowls back to back.

The Eli Giants went to two Super Bowls.

The Manning Colts went to two Super Bowls.

The Rapist Steelers went to three Super Bowls.

The Warner Rams went to two Super Bowls.

The Elway Broncos went to two Super Bowls back to back.

The Favre Packers went to two Super Bowls

etc ...

Even if you subscribe to your theory, the Rodgers Packers have still underwhelmed compared to other non-Pats teams with franchise QBs.

Uh, my comment was in regards to Brees. Not Rodgers. I guess the same applies to him though? I also notice you left Rivers and Marino off your list of franchise QBs. I just think it's weird to judge individuals in a team sport solely on their championships, when by definition only one team wins at the end. Like, if Rodgers and Brees won more, then some of those guys on your list would have been knocked off and you'd be saying the same about them.

Now that being said, Rodgers is a piece of poo poo who seemingly does save his worst games (as of late) for the playoffs.

Nov 6, 2002

Seems like playing in a tougher division would have made things more difficult than some other "dynasty" type teams of the era. How often did the Brees Saints have a bye week?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think going to the conference championship should be considered a large success for a cube (nickname of qb.)

Nov 6, 2002

Does that make RBs rubes?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Seems like playing in a tougher division would have made things more difficult than some other "dynasty" type teams of the era. How often did the Brees Saints have a bye week?

2006, 2009, 2018.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

MJeff posted:

I mean, I dunno if I respect somebody saying "Hey, it's fine if I get this potentially deadly, highly communicable disease because I have access to the best medical care in the world, but if I spread it to a bunch of other people, sucks to suck, I guess.", but yes, that's a step above lying about it.

Because at least in the former camp, you're still wearing a loving mask.

Respect is probably the wrong word. I guess, understand? Like, someone's actually following their convictions and dealing with the consequences they're stuck with (however minor they may be).

Rodgers just ... Lied and bitched about it when he got caught.

But yeah, you're completely correct.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Respect is probably the wrong word. I guess, understand? Like, someone's actually following their convictions and dealing with the consequences they're stuck with (however minor they may be).

Rodgers just ... Lied and bitched about it when he got caught.

But yeah, you're completely correct.

Yeah, we're on the same page. Whether you like it or not, you have to acknowledge that decision because at the end of the day, as much we have our individual responsibility to public health, it's probably still a good thing that you can't be compelled to receive a medical treatment you don't want.

Deciding that you don't want to get the treatment but also, you don't wanna be criticized and wanna keep going to parties and poo poo, is the height of bitchboy loser energy and he's obviously just continuing that with "everybody was mean to me because I didn't get vaccinate :qq:" whining.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Does that make RBs rubes?

no. the q is what makes the cube. rbs are ribs or rubs depending on where you live.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fsif posted:

Right, I do understand that and I feel pretty strongly that it's more likely than not that Josh Allen will never win a Super Bowl.

But teams with franchise quarterbacks and good coaches are in the playoff mix by default pretty much every season. The Saints went to extraordinary lengths to circumvent the cap and didn't get anything more than you'd expect from a your bog standard perennial contender. Now, it's sounding like three consecutive seasons of medicine taking; that's unheard of!

Bog standard perennial contender is about the best you can manage if you aren’t Tom Brady. I’m perfectly fine with them shooting their shot while the window was there, they just never got all of the pieces aligned at the right time. Bad defenses for a long time then good defenses right around when Brees arm died. Considering that people have been saying since 2011 that they were in cap hell and they managed to keep it rolling until 2020 that’s not too bad. Now they have to take their medicine at a time when, realistically, they were going to suck no matter what.

If they’d started to flush the high priced contracts out of the system a few years ago they’d still be bad a team with no QB or coach this year and would have also sucked more the last few years.

They also played in a division where every other team has been to the Super Bowl this decade, so it’s not like they’ve had an easy path most years.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2022

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

lol imagine a professional athlete thinking people hating on him is "adversity"

The worst part is, no matter who wins the MVP, it's a win for Rodgers in his own mind. Either he wins the MVP and gets whatever associated monetary bonus is in his contract for it, or he doesn't get it and it just validates his view that everyone is against him.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Cavauro posted:

no. the q is what makes the cube. rbs are ribs or rubs depending on where you live.

RBmaps.com

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

This is great.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I love how nothing changed after McCarthy got booted.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how nothing changed after McCarthy got booted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1478010006192730112

Look at all those wins!*

*Not valid for playoffs

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Rodgers hurt his knee and missed like half the 2017 season and I think sucked coming back in 2018 IIRC. That’s why the Packers sucked.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY/status/1486390700732305410?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1486327325365051398?s=20

Lots of big brains in sports this year