Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dual Wielding Conceptually: Bad rear end, I have two guns
Dual Wielding Reality: Thank you for giving me half a gun, wheres the other part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked the needler and the plasma rifle, but while the plasma pistol was useable I found the charge mechanic a bit fiddly in combat sometimes.

Surprisingly, but delightfully so, Halo has a great shotgun. I would even say one of the top-tier game shotguns even.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I had to go to GOG, buy IW and install that visual mod(no modded visuals, just higher res). I can deal with ugly but the performance was downright unacceptable. I play a lot of games on my OG Xbox and I am struggling to remember one running as poorly as IW. Butcher Bay can get really hideous with the dynamic resolution but its still playable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

Dual Wielding Conceptually: Bad rear end, I have two guns
Dual Wielding Reality: Thank you for giving me half a gun, wheres the other part?

Also dual wielding reality: where are my melee and grenades?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Disposable Scud posted:

I had to go to GOG, buy IW and install that visual mod(no modded visuals, just higher res). I can deal with ugly but the performance was downright unacceptable. I play a lot of games on my OG Xbox and I am struggling to remember one running as poorly as IW. Butcher Bay can get really hideous with the dynamic resolution but its still playable.

as bad as the graphics might be, i'd probably fix the "restart the entire program on load screen" first if I had to pick one QoL thing for IW

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Didn't Morrowind do that too? Thats wild.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Disposable Scud posted:

Only on Xbox, IIRC.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

I think that one also had a problem where everything in the entire world would move 1mm left every hour or something, so after a few hundred hours some of the NPCs started falling off the map or clipping into walls

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Call me a heretic but I only like dual wielding where I can fire both guns by just pressing one fire button instead of faffing around with both mouse buttons/triggers.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Call me a heretic but I only like dual wielding where I can fire both guns by just pressing one fire button instead of faffing around with both mouse buttons/triggers.

No, I completely agree. With one exception: The Darkness.

The Darkness had the absolute best dual wielding pistols I have ever seen in a game, including these insane little details like your left or right hand wrapping around cover if you were near a wall. It felt insanely good and visceral, and I was incredibly disappointed when Machine Games offered dual wielding in The New Colossus and it was nowhere near as good or fun.

Give me a version of TNC where B.J. remains dead, Anya is the protagonist and her weapons of choice are dual wielded pistols. Or a sequel to The Darkness that doesn't take a huge dump on its predecessor's story. Both would be awesome, thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

Only on Xbox, IIRC.

Even then, Morrowind only did it when it was low on memory

IW does it every time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have IW on OG Xbox as well and it’s a nightmare to play. Probably the worst performing game I attempted on that machine.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have IW on OG Xbox as well and it’s a nightmare to play. Probably the worst performing game I attempted on that machine.

I remember Doom 3 coming out a little while later and completely embarassing it on a technical level. Honestly that port was super impressive considering the target hardware, and the cuts to the levels actually made it a more pleasant experience imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep that’s a great port. Looks amazing on a crt

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Crytek/status/1486309465485946883?s=20

Crysis 4 announced

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's me, the weirdo who really likes the Crisis 2/3 story and hopes 4 is good too

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's me, the weirdo who really likes the Crisis 2/3 story and hopes 4 is good too

You weirdo!

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm the weirdo that appreciates Crytek for being technical marvels but finds Crysis just...bland

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Crysis suit/body horror thing is the direction I wanted Halo to go

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Crysis suit/body horror thing is the direction I wanted Halo to go

I haven't really played Crysis at all beyond a few minutes here and there; what's the body horror aspect of it? Do you meld with the suit?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s a body horror in that your body will experience the horror of how boring the games are

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In Crysis 2 the main guy dies and is basically the suits meat puppet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't really played Crysis at all beyond a few minutes here and there; what's the body horror aspect of it? Do you meld with the suit?

Yeah, the longer you wear it and the more you depend on it to fix and enhance you the blurrier the boundaries between the suit and the wearer become, to the point where it irrevocably takes over your meat functions and stores your consciousness.

This is from Crysis 2. I never played the third one so I don't know how things develop from there.

Halo still basically goes there but more figuratively than literally.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 26, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I'm trying to figure out if "join the journey, be the hero" is any sort of clue about the gameplay -- almost makes it sound like more of an MMO direction, but maybe it doesn't mean anything really.

verbal enema posted:

Imo boss fights do not belong in FPS's

Sometimes an FPS feels a little empty without some kind of new enemy functioning as the end boss, but it's definitely way more important to have a well-designed area for the final encounter to take place. I can think of so many memorable big showdowns from Doom maps, some of which involve the Cyberdemon or Mastermind, but never just "here's a room where you have to shoot this boss a lot"

Convex posted:

I mean its worth ten times that amount for the soundtracks alone. gently caress me tracker music ruled

Fun fact I recently discovered, VLC media player (for PC and Android) natively plays tracker music including the .UMX files pulled directly from the Unreal games. Just plug and play.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

suuma posted:

I'm the weirdo that appreciates Crytek for being technical marvels but finds Crysis just...bland

Crysis was good!... for like.. 40% of the first game.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Crysis was good!... for like.. 40% of the first game.

Yea, the jungle stuff was fun when it was just humans.

But then I say the same thing about Far Cry 1

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Despite THQ now owning them, every time I think of Crysis/Crytek, I'm reminded of the digital war crime that the Timesplitters games haven't gotten any true love and support since TSFP, aside from backwards compatibility via the Xbox recently.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for decades i waited on Timesplitters remasters and then xbox just said "gently caress it, they work on One/Series now"
thank you Bill Gates

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

for decades i waited on Timesplitters remasters and then xbox just said "gently caress it, they work on One/Series now"
thank you Bill Gates

Yeah, i'mma need more than that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope remasters are coming still since it would be cool to play them on PC and Switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they emulate pretty well on Dolphin, that’s how I played them for years until Xbox Series got them

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Mousepractice posted:

Righto I'm off work with COVID so here's the complete P-FE/FRAF zine by Ville Kallio, creator of Cruelty Squad. Enjoy!

https://imgur.com/a/dYh0CEj

NB because I am off work it's photos rather than scans, sorry. I had to hold the thing open with some kind of stone blob I have on my desk, and there's a stain.

This is awesome.

Also the art rules. Turns out Cruelty Squad is ugly by choice.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is Crysis on Switch worth playing? I know on a technical level it’s supposed to be pretty solid, but I think they cut a level or something and obviously you can’t use any mods.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

david_a posted:

Is Crysis on Switch worth playing? I know on a technical level it’s supposed to be pretty solid, but I think they cut a level or something and obviously you can’t use any mods.

It’s not bad tbh but if you have any other modern console or PC then they’ll be much better. If you want to play it on the go, it’s a decent port. Drains battery faster than any other switch game I’ve played.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
One thing I remember about Far Cry way back when is I never even realized trigens were a part of it until I played it in like 2009 or so because back when the game first released they were like never featured in any of the marketing or previews I saw. It's like Crytek realized "oh these stupid bullshit enemies suck rear end and nobody likes fighting them," and then they do the same goddamn thing with Crysis years later.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

They got Peter Watts to write a Crysis 2 novelisation, if you're the kind of person to recognise the name. That's the body horror aspect of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah both games fall off a cliff once you start fighting aliens

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, from what I recall of Crysis 2 you start out as a soldier wearing a supersuit and gradually the soldier gets more and more damaged and the suit gets more and more capable until by the end you're playing as a sentient supersuit with a corpse inside it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So apparently that Serious Sam expandalone is out. Anyone give it a spin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

Yeah, from what I recall of Crysis 2 you start out as a soldier wearing a supersuit and gradually the soldier gets more and more damaged and the suit gets more and more capable until by the end you're playing as a sentient supersuit with a corpse inside it

I think the twist is you've always been dead inside the suit.