Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone have a self hosting option for podcasts? I know it sounds goofy but I got poor stability using them through Plex, as the app would not run without restarting on my very new / pristine android phone for more than 20 mins at a time meaning I always had to restart and scan around to find where I was at etc in the episode.

I've tried Stitcher, Spotify, AntennaPod and 2-3 other generic podcasting apps and they all seem to be poo poo either loving up bluetooth stuff or just unable to do simple playlist stuff properly. Kind of amazing how bad an audio player app can be in 2021.

Anyway, anyone got anything they like for self hosting audio that's not just a music streaming service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Self hosting audio I'd say Subsonic, but that doesn't fit what you want for the podcasts

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't taken a moment to try it out yet, but this looks promising for downloading podcasts: https://github.com/akhilrex/podgrab

As for getting it from there to your phone I'm not so sure. Have you tried listening to the podcasts with Chronicle ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.mattpvaughn.chronicle&hl=en_US&gl=US ) yet?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

That Works posted:

Anyone have a self hosting option for podcasts? I know it sounds goofy but I got poor stability using them through Plex, as the app would not run without restarting on my very new / pristine android phone for more than 20 mins at a time meaning I always had to restart and scan around to find where I was at etc in the episode.

I've tried Stitcher, Spotify, AntennaPod and 2-3 other generic podcasting apps and they all seem to be poo poo either loving up bluetooth stuff or just unable to do simple playlist stuff properly. Kind of amazing how bad an audio player app can be in 2021.

Anyway, anyone got anything they like for self hosting audio that's not just a music streaming service?

It's not self hosting but I've been using Overcast for years for podcasts and it's absolutely great. iOS only, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

I’ve been working on this as well. Here’s my experience so far:

1. Set up dynamic dns. I used duckdns.org because I am an idiot and don’t understand cloudflare or GitHub. Duckdns also has a good docker container.
2. Set up a webserver with php. I tried a few things before settling on a SWAG docker container. Forward the required ports to have your container readable from the internet at your ddns address.
Note: both steps 1 and 2 are created and updated with docker-compose.
3. Install dir2cast. You just put the .php and .ini files and I think a folder in the webserver’s root html folder. In the case of swag it’s in /config/www. You can make an alias to this folder so it lives on your NAS or whatever.
4. Put your .mp3 or .mp4 or .m4a podcast files into the same directory as the .php.
5. Your podcast rss is at [yoursite].duckdns.org/dir2cast.php

Now I had some tricky poo poo happen at this point. My server was choking on the ._ and . Files that windows and macs add to SMB mounted directories. I set a veto rule in the samba server config and that fixed that.

For some reason the php script doesn’t update when new audio is added. There are two ways to override this:
A. delete the contents of the /temp folder in the webserver and it will immediately repopulate.
B. Activate the password refresh config in the .ini file for dir2cast. It makes it so going to your url plus force=[password] forces a refresh.

Once I get a bit more traffic and other config things going (and I sent this in as an issue to the dev, who has been extremely helpful!), I’ll probably just set a cron job to delete the contents of the temp folder every 10 minutes or whatever. Or a shell script that does this any time a new file gets added to the folder.

Edit: l also think just making a bookmark for the force URL is a great solution if you don’t want to mess with scripts and stuff. Just add a file and hit the bookmark and your podcast client will receive the updated feed list.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 30, 2021

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Now that I've got Proxmox up and running and have been messing around with it, I'm looking for more to put on it.

Is there a Trakt.tv alternative that's self hosted? I've been using it to track the TV and film I watch for years, but if there's something that works about the same that doesn't put all my precious viewing information out there, I would rather do that.

Does anyone have a "home inventory" system/database they like? I just spun up Grocy, which seems ok, but more grocery focused (obviously). Looking for something that can help me answer, "Where the gently caress is [tool]?" Yes I am prepared to put things back where they belong and also be diligent about recording changes. Not quite at the point of putting rfid tags on everything and readers on all my doorways to track poo poo down... yet.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I haven't taken a moment to try it out yet, but this looks promising for downloading podcasts: https://github.com/akhilrex/podgrab

I use this one, it is good. Hosted on docker and is very stable. Bought the guy a beer.

I never download podcasts, I just stream them from the application (it has a player that works fine on iOS and all sorts of browsers).

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 14, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know of any ready made solution, but it sounds like you essentially need a front end for a database.

I haven't had a chance to play with it but https://www.nubuilder.com/ might give you the tools to do what you need.

For the database schema I would personally try setting up a relational database like this:
Item Table: Include name of item, and any other defining things you would want to search on.
Location Table: can just be one column of location names, or can go into more detail.
Many to many relationship table: one column to reference item, one column to reference location, and one column for quantity.

E: you could do a self referencing many to one schema if you want to track nested containers, but in that instance I would treat every item as unique instead of having an associated qty.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 14, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I suspect there's going to be a lot more people wanting to do self-hosting, since Google announced that they're shutting down the G.Suite free tier.

This is a guide on how to self-host email on FreeBSD using postfix as an MTA, dovegot as an MDA, solr as full-text search, rspamd for spam filtering, sieve for scripting/sorting inboxes, and it even includes DKIM, SPF, and DMARC.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I suspect there's going to be a lot more people wanting to do self-hosting, since Google announced that they're shutting down the G.Suite free tier.

This is a guide on how to self-host email on FreeBSD using postfix as an MTA, dovegot as an MDA, solr as full-text search, rspamd for spam filtering, sieve for scripting/sorting inboxes, and it even includes DKIM, SPF, and DMARC.

drat! It was a good 10 years while it lasted. Self hosting email sounds like a giant pain in the butt though. One of those things that I want it to just work all the time without any effort on my part. I'll probably end up forking over the $6/mo :(

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This might be the push I need to move over to ProtonMail (or Migadu or something).

And then I have a couple of accounts I made for my daughters on my domain that are only really used for their xbox accounts. So maybe I'll try self-hosting those and see how it goes. Thanks for the link.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm switching over to Cloudflare's email forwarding. Might not be fully self hosted but it does solve "email to my domain" without "managing a loving mail server".

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I've selfhosted email for nearly 25 years and honestly it's extremely hands off once it's set up. I know some people run into IP reputation issues and such but I haven't had any.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't know what's what with google renaming lots of different things over the years. Does this mean that a regular gmail account is going to become a paid service?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

That Works posted:

I don't know what's what with google renaming lots of different things over the years. Does this mean that a regular gmail account is going to become a paid service?

No, this is just for people using the G-Suite for Business service, regular personal Gmail accounts fall under their "Google One" product and aren't being changed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Scruff McGruff posted:

No, this is just for people using the G-Suite for Business service, regular personal Gmail accounts fall under their "Google One" product and aren't being changed.

Thanks, I thought that was the case but tbh I haven't kept up at all with the name changes, rebranding etc.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

This all looks very interesting - Ive had a linux home server for ages, it currently acts as a NAS and has a basic desktop VM running for occasional external access. I am going to be loosing space to have desktop computers separately so have been thinking about setting up unraid with a VM for windows game streaming and having the NAS functionality as well. I probably could set this all up by hand but time restraints have made unraid look appealing. Does anyone have any opinions on doing this or is anyone running unraid like this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How does a VM for Windows game streaming work?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Just set up a VM with your games and Parsec, passing through your GPU, and connect in from whatever other computer you want. I haven't tried it with any FPS or other response time dependent games but I play Indie and RTS games streaming from my desktop to my laptop all the time now and it works pretty great.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

This news is now sweeping through my group of tech acquaintances. The last time I self-hosted email was on qmail which i note *still* hasn't been officially updated since 1998. qmailtoaster still exists, but the whole idea of qmail plus ~20 years of community patches/workarounds just gives me the creeps...

Thanks for the guide. Does anyone else have a go-to recipe for email self-hosting they can recommend?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

One thing I'd recommend if you self-host email is that you should do it off-site in a managed environment. You don't want to miss emails because your home lost power or internet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

One thing I'd recommend if you self-host email is that you should do it off-site in a managed environment. You don't want to miss emails because your home lost power or internet.
There are absolutely places where outages last for a fair while, but the mail protocol was built to deal with this at least to a certain extent - if the error isn't NXDOMAIN but instead a connection timeout, lack of greeting error, or similar, the MTA should (at least according to specifications) keep retrying for up to 72 hours.
Also, you're not prevented from having a backup mail exchange with lower priority that gets used if your primary mail server goes down.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Just make sure that all of your homes have an MX in them. How likely is it that both your summer and your winter home would lose power at the same time?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

tagesschau posted:

Just make sure that all of your homes have an MX in them. How likely is it that both your summer and your winter home would lose power at the same time?

brb, gotta amend my taxes to declare my second residence as a DR site so I can write off the mortgage as a business expense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Asking my neighbors if I can use their basement as DR site

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
I still haven't done anything on the G-Mail migration. I'm about 90% sure that I will not be staying with G regardless of whether we can keep "free" status. My former boss & I are exploring other paid hosting options but both of us have non-tech-savvy family with email boxes we'd have to migrate (thus the 10% uncertainty, what an unpleasant thought). The rationale for moving off of G would be that we're OK with paying but we want to pay to not "be the product" as they say. Anyway, that's not self-hosting talk.

I'm 50/50 on self-hosting email though. In the bad old days I'd get an xlhost.com or rackshack/ev1servers (RIP) self-managed 1U colo at rock-bottom $/mo, fight the IP address reputation issues, and spin up qmail+djbdns. I am currently a customer of both arpnetworks VPS and digital ocean, depending on what silly thing I'm doing at the time. is there a reason i should avoid cloud/VPS instances for email hosting?

the other thing that prevents me from just moving everything over is handling spam. for the fun of it, i moved my father-in-law's business email account over to gandi.net email hosting (they at least do dns blacklisting/etc at a domain level). this is an address that's been in-use for 15+ years. the volume of promotional / soft spam received is impressive for a guy that's probably never sent an email except to individual customers. i have no idea what i'd be getting into running my own rspamd and how close i could get to google's spam handling which has been very good. can anyone comment or recommend resources i can read for this?

similarly, my personal accounts have a certain amount of "legitimate" promotional email that google just handles with their tabs/categorization. i assume that google is automatically creating rules based on some inferencing heuristic. is there something similar out there in open source/self-hosting land or would i be obligated to hand-craft the rules to replicate this?

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
didn't see this in the thread so far, so: how about self-hosting some sort of chat? anyone have any experience there? i've set up and played with a matrix protocol server (synapse) and have in the past played with different jabber servers as well. it seems like the consensus is something like, "use matrix to replace slack/IRC - use jabber for instant messaging."

edit: guess i should have mentioned we have used/prefer hangouts to SMS for family/friends individual IM as well as group chat

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

nine16thsdago posted:

didn't see this in the thread so far, so: how about self-hosting some sort of chat? anyone have any experience there? i've set up and played with a matrix protocol server (synapse) and have in the past played with different jabber servers as well. it seems like the consensus is something like, "use matrix to replace slack/IRC - use jabber for instant messaging."

edit: guess i should have mentioned we have used/prefer hangouts to SMS for family/friends individual IM as well as group chat

Nextcloud has "Nextcloud Talk" that can do both video and text chat, and I've had co-workers talk about using Mattermost to replace Slack, but I haven't tried either so I can't speak to their features or ease of use.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I've experimented with Rocket Chat and it seemed like a good Slack-like. Otherwise if you've got nextcloud then try Talk.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've experimented with Rocket Chat and it seemed like a good Slack-like. Otherwise if you've got nextcloud then try Talk.

Speaking of, rocket chat is now being integrated into Nextcloud.

https://nextcloud.com/blog/rocket-chat-nextcloud-integration/

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Neat, but I'm wondering what the point is. I guess if you're using Nextcloud as a kind of workspace, it acts as a client?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've been using Matrix (Synapse + Element) since summer last year and it works alright for instant messaging across a mix of individual and group chats. It was complicated to set up, and sometimes notifications seem to not trigger for some reason on Android clients. Defaulting to E2EE is nice for tinfoil hatters. I think it's cool that you have all kinds of bridges providing integrations with other chat services, so that I can use Matrix and my contacts can stay on whichever lovely service they prefer.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
I use and love matrix. recommend the docker ansible matrix repo for actually deploying it; you can even use it for both your styles of comms. imo the biggest difference is client-side poo poo. element won't feel like a text client but fluffy chat might for your users.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matrix on its own is fine; I've been missing a TUI client for it, but I finally found one.

Matrix clients trying to interface with IRC is less than fine, because either there's an issue in the Matrix specification, or every independent developer has thought that it's a good idea to do make it so that when someone replies to a message (in the way that Discord, I think, introduced it?), part of that message is included in the reply to let Matrix keep track of context, and on IRC this results in the messages becoming unreadable, like so:
pre:
<person1> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat, et cetera ad nauseum.
<person2[m]> person: "person: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur" Why do you have lorem itsum memorized?!
I know it's a small thing, but not having the sentence start until +50 characters into the line, when the max length of messages in the IRC RFC is 510 characters is really frustrating - especially because it seems to have been a deliberate choice to break the principle of least astonishment.

It reminds me of the things Microsoft tried to get away with with Microsoft Chat, but now it's apparently okay because it's "opensource" that's doing it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 4, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just a heads up to folks who use nextcloud. Mariadb 10.6 seems to break nextcloud. After troubleshooting a broken install for a couple of hours after I updated it, I ended up rolling back to 10.5 and restoring a backup my of database and that fixed it. You may want to lock any image you have for your database file to 10.5 for now.

Maybe a fresh install of the app will work fine, I don't know. But upgrading seems to be borked for me at least.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
I got a synapse server up & running from scratch with a matrix<->googlechat bridge. After using it for a few days I'm sold. Definitely worth the effort on functionality alone.

I then tried conduit (https://gitlab.com/famedly/conduit) which is easier to set up than synapse (less options), less resource-intensive, and AFAICT suitable for any size of service (# of users) I'd end up running permanently. Functionality (+with the bridge) is just as good as before. I'm happy with it and will be planning on permanently hosting this for now.

on the email front, neither amazon workmail nor gandi mailbox hosting have shown that they can do what i need spam-wise. It's a shame because workmail is easy to setup and pretty cheap. I may try mxroute next.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nine16thsdago posted:

on the email front, neither amazon workmail nor gandi mailbox hosting have shown that they can do what i need spam-wise. It's a shame because workmail is easy to setup and pretty cheap. I may try mxroute next.

I have one of those lifetime mxroute accounts, and haven't had any problems with the service.
The owner seems to be a huge rear end in a top hat though, so try not to piss him off, If you want to keep using it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

nine16thsdago posted:

I'm 50/50 on self-hosting email though. In the bad old days I'd get an xlhost.com or rackshack/ev1servers (RIP) self-managed 1U colo at rock-bottom $/mo, fight the IP address reputation issues, and spin up qmail+djbdns. I am currently a customer of both arpnetworks VPS and digital ocean, depending on what silly thing I'm doing at the time. is there a reason i should avoid cloud/VPS instances for email hosting?

I currently use a Digital Ocean instance as my backup MX and for outgoing SMTP. The biggest hassle is that a bunch of their IP space in nyc1 got put on Spamhaus's PBL as "residential IPs" at some point, and that's a problem that DO has to fix on their end. That said, it only took a couple tries to get an IP in sfo3 that wasn't blacklisted by any reputable blacklist. (Only UCEPROTECT and that con artist can cry more)

Also they block port 25 outgoing over IPv6 but nearly everyone still dual stacks so it's not much of an issue.

If you're using a separate paid SMTP provider and just receiving mail then it's all good and can receive mail from anyone over v4 or v6.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005

corgski posted:

I currently use a Digital Ocean instance as my backup MX and for outgoing SMTP. The biggest hassle is that a bunch of their IP space in nyc1 got put on Spamhaus's PBL as "residential IPs" at some point, and that's a problem that DO has to fix on their end. That said, it only took a couple tries to get an IP in sfo3 that wasn't blacklisted by any reputable blacklist. (Only UCEPROTECT and that con artist can cry more)

Also they block port 25 outgoing over IPv6 but nearly everyone still dual stacks so it's not much of an issue.

If you're using a separate paid SMTP provider and just receiving mail then it's all good and can receive mail from anyone over v4 or v6.

thanks for the info. i'm still looking for tips/pointers/recipes on mailbox self-hosting + effective spam filtering.

Tamba posted:

I have one of those lifetime mxroute accounts ... try not to piss him off

i can't imagine running afoul of the mxroute guy (mom's not sending spam to my knowledge), but i have definitely seen his attitude on e.g., hosting reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finally got Fail2Ban setup for NGINX Proxy Manager (had to use a separate docker container since it's not included) after having run my home-lab setup for the better part of a year without it. It immediately banned about 100 ip's as it scanned over the logs. Heh, I guess that's not too bad for that amount of time, but it's a good thing I set it up I suppose.