Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Local club is starting a putting league at a brewery right down the street this week. Good way to get better/trashed. Also I probably won't be getting any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Snake Dance posted:

Local club is starting a putting league at a brewery right down the street this week. Good way to get better/trashed. Also I probably won't be getting any better.

That sounds pretty great. They pop up around here now and then. There's definitely a niche to fill I just don't have the time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Waiting for my call from the Pro Tour any day now.

Tried to hyzer flip my wife’s 150g disc, accidentally turned it into a roller that went down a hill at the end

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's up, disc golfers? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you scored an ace, or just took your kid disc golfing for the first time. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I hit an awesome ace a few days ago, on my birthday

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Happy birthdace!

My 2022 goals are

1) Throw better than +10 at my local course
2) Reliably throw controlled shots over 300 ft.
3) Put together a consecutive bogey-free 9
4) Get comfortable and confident putting at 20-25ft. Right now I'm comfortable at 15 and in
5) Play more courses. That means making a weekend trip of it with friends since there's only one course within 1½ hours of me.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Rotten Cookies posted:

5) Play more courses. That means making a weekend trip of it with friends since there's only one course within 1½ hours of me.

That is gross, where do you live?

I'm thankful I live in an area with enough courses that if the parking lot is full I can be at another course within 20 minutes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

What's up, disc golfers? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you scored an ace, or just took your kid disc golfing for the first time. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up! I'll take a photo of my first ace-disc so I can get it in the OP here and have it memorialized as a 6er :toot:

Rotten Cookies posted:

Happy birthdace!

My 2022 goals are

4) Get comfortable and confident putting at 20-25ft. Right now I'm comfortable at 15 and in

These are great goals, although #5 doesn't apply to me, within 1.5 hours there's probably 12-15 courses. I really need to just work on my backhand form, I think. Why was it my weakest ultimate throw AND disc golf throw?! :mad:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sound_man posted:

That is gross, where do you live?

I'm thankful I live in an area with enough courses that if the parking lot is full I can be at another course within 20 minutes.

Long Island. My home course is Heckscher Park, a neat 21 hole course, they demolished Calverton for solar panels, and there is another course (Cedar Beach) but it is so ridden with poison ivy that I do not count it because I have an insane reaction to it. Any disc tossed wayward will be considered unrecoverable, and I don't want to play like that.

So, an exaggeration if there is another course, but to me, there is only one course. There are proposals for more courses at different parks, but that's as far as they got, just proposals.

Once I get past NYC there are plenty of options. My friends did a disc golf camping trip just in October and had a blast playing different courses.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cleaned up the basement and I now have an indoor 25' practice putting spot! :toot: 59/100 shots for my first session, not too shabby.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Cleaned up the basement and I now have an indoor 25' practice putting spot! :toot: 59/100 shots for my first session, not too shabby.

Jelly of that setup, my Innova skillshot basket finally gave out so I had to toss it, not going to get to putt or throw for a few more months :(

One of my favorite tournaments I did like 4 years ago, Mad City Open, played at Elver. That was a lot of fun. Madison has some really nice courses real close to one another.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

Jelly of that setup, my Innova skillshot basket finally gave out so I had to toss it, not going to get to putt or throw for a few more months :(

One of my favorite tournaments I did like 4 years ago, Mad City Open, played at Elver. That was a lot of fun. Madison has some really nice courses real close to one another.

I live a 5 minute walk from Elver :bubblewoop: I love that course. Played all but the winter course here in Madison, it's a good city for disc golf.

Anybody know if it's possible to split a DGN subscription? I'm assuming not, because they'll have a "your account is being used to view from another location" kind of thing, but :shrug:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Very nice! I've been settling for throwing at a milk crate at my metal shop.

I managed to throw in a field for 2 hours, then play a round on New Years Eve, from the long tees, and didn't do terrible! I did much much better putting, comfortable from 18-20 ft. Playing from the long tees, I knew I wasn't going to make it to the basket from the tee, so it forced me to think of it as 2 shots just to get it there. It honestly put me in a way better spot most of the time. Playing from the shorter tees, I'd usually try to get near the basket right off the tee. That would end up with me in the woods, or with a 40 foot look. I'm not good enough to make 40 footers, so I'm still only getting par most of the time. So why not just go for control off the tee and make it there safely? I know this is dumb obvious poo poo, but there's always temptation to Just Fuckin' Go For It. It was nice to play safe for like an entire round.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Very nice! I've been settling for throwing at a milk crate at my metal shop.

I managed to throw in a field for 2 hours, then play a round on New Years Eve, from the long tees, and didn't do terrible! I did much much better putting, comfortable from 18-20 ft. Playing from the long tees, I knew I wasn't going to make it to the basket from the tee, so it forced me to think of it as 2 shots just to get it there. It honestly put me in a way better spot most of the time. Playing from the shorter tees, I'd usually try to get near the basket right off the tee. That would end up with me in the woods, or with a 40 foot look. I'm not good enough to make 40 footers, so I'm still only getting par most of the time. So why not just go for control off the tee and make it there safely? I know this is dumb obvious poo poo, but there's always temptation to Just Fuckin' Go For It. It was nice to play safe for like an entire round.

Your comment gave me an idea to really practice your mid throws and upshots on a course: Penalize yourself if you hit circle 2 on the drive or 2nd throw (if you'd be shooting for birdie on par 3 or 4 respectively). This will force you to either play safe or put trust in your shot to put it in C1. Maybe add a number to the current Par just to incentivize smarter play than just going for it or something, I dunno.

I feel like I'd benefit from something like that. My drives are getting longer but shot shape still needs a lot of work. On a wide open hole I might be fine, but lol at anything else. You're right in the temptation to want to just go for it, especially when your distance is improving. I just always think of the term "Drive for show, putt for dough" because MANY of my even semi-competitive rounds comes down to making putts.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
I learned a new technique to discourage Just Going For It, playing on ice in 20 mph winds. By the back nine I was sliding anything outside 15 feet upside down across the snow and ice. That was my first double digits over par round in a while, still fun to get out there.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Drives finally clicked yesterday. Buddy told me to think of it as a swing powered by legs and hips, with a ropey arm vs pulling a strong arm across the chest. Cause you can’t ever pull hard or fast enough, but you can generate a lot of power in the legs and hips and turn your arm into a trebuchet :eng101:

I of course later launched a disc into the netherworld, which I am returning to hunt for today.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Drives finally clicked yesterday. Buddy told me to think of it as a swing powered by legs and hips, with a ropey arm vs pulling a strong arm across the chest. Cause you can’t ever pull hard or fast enough, but you can generate a lot of power in the legs and hips and turn your arm into a trebuchet :eng101:

I of course later launched a disc into the netherworld, which I am returning to hunt for today.

I can't figure this one out. Sometimes in the field I can get things moving the right direction, but as soon as I stand on a Tee it all goes out of my brain and I'm throwing my arm out of the socket for hardly 200 feet.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've been studying form for a long time so maybe this guy won't help 'cause I already have a lot of knowledge.

But some of his videos have finally made certain things click for me, might check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCys7gcYGyBtPYxYxrlGzO1Q

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

This video from him is exactly what my buddy told me. Now I’m working on timing, but this concept is HUGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxeFAnwILI

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 10, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can't wait to practice my technique! Been getting a full sleeve tattooed on my dominant arm, and that makes throwing anything very difficult, ha.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I asked and my buddy learned his stuff from this channel. This one has drills and gives a different perspective on the same topic as the slingshot guy.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLks9Qrqo-7RqR0l9R37lZymuhjsIgaLbj
first vid in the backhand thing. the twirly bird drill looks great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar4mQsWxaA

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

This video from him is exactly what my buddy told me. Now I’m working on timing, but this concept is HUGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxeFAnwILI

there's something off with his camera that the left side of the image was weirdly distorted and distracted me the whole time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks thread. Watched coach T and threw +10 and +8 on two different courses. My previous best was +14. Also threw my first bird in a scored round.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

headcase posted:

Thanks thread. Watched coach T and threw +10 and +8 on two different courses. My previous best was +14. Also threw my first bird in a scored round.

:hellyeah:

Keep it up!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Happy birthdace!

My 2022 goals are

I did it, y'all. +8 over 21 holes

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I went to a wide open Soccer field to throw, and still somehow managed to throw off the side, down a hill, and into the melted ice skating rink.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
what the gently caress richard

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

I did it, y'all. +8 over 21 holes

gently caress yeah, congrats! That's such a good feeling.

Probably gonna pull the trigger on a PDGA membership pretty soon. I'm bummed cause I must've missed a promo they had for signing up where you got this NASTY octopus/mushroom disc/mini combo, but alas :negative:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Everyone gets a disc for signing up the first time. The octopus is this year's disc. Last year was a space turtle. You'll probably get the octopus.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elysium posted:

Everyone gets a disc for signing up the first time. The octopus is this year's disc. Last year was a space turtle. You'll probably get the octopus.

Friend signed up yesterday and didn't see anything about the octopus, but I had another friend renew his membership on Wednesday and see it :shrug:

I hope I get the octopus, though! Although the turtle is p cool, too.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

If you haven't watched any pro disc golf yet, you owe it to yourself to check out the Las Vegas Challenge. I personally hate golf courses, but the final couple rounds in the mens make up for it. Some incredible disc golf being played by some of the youngest pros yet.

Videos are labeled by Round and Front or Back, front being first. So it goes Round 1 Front 9, Round 1 Back 9, then Round 2 Front 9 & Round 2 Back 9. This event went 4 rounds. Maybe that's obvious, but just in case someone is new!

Mens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOYeNJhzKE

Womens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBMiWEwjS0U

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

I signed up for my first tournament, happening in May! I'm nervous, but also going in with zero expectations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Played a round with my girlfriend at Old Mill in Grants Pass mid tournament and the course was totally empty. It was glorious. The course was totally empty and we both played great rounds. I carried those good vibes to my local course in seattle and shot 9 over, which was great for me. This game rules.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

We had absolutely gorgeous weather here this past weekend, and the course was also empty. No idea why, but I'll take it.

Played my 2nd best round ever with a Putter Only round, got to be the first to play a new hole being put in. Talked to a guy from the local disc golf group, and apparently my local course is getting expanded to be 30 holes. So that's pretty sweet.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Signed up for my first tournament in 4 years, pretty excited for that now. Will probably only be able to do 2 or 3 but it will be nice to get back to competitive throwing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have a 36 hole duo tournament coming up. First course is best disc, second is alternate throw. I will definitely be carried, but I will have some good throws and putts, plus having a safe option is always good. Super pumped to get outside and hang out for a while.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Can someone recommend a driver? I'm trying to figure out what to do for huge drives. (my short game is god like) I typically throw 340-360 flat windless, basically football field + endzones. Back in the day I did this with valkyries. I took 5 years off and came back and I'm down to about 300-320ish with a valk. I picked up some higher speed discs and I can turn some of them over from flat and that puts me up to 340-360 again.

Boss 175 champ/pro - I cannot turn these over no matter what, even into the wind.
Boss 150 - I can turn these over from flat, but barely, and definitely not with any tailwind. Any cross/head wind and I can turn them over no problem and roll them in a good headwind
Tern 170 champ - This is my current big distance driver. It's okay, but when you mess up it gets really ugly quick, very very sensitive to wind. I can turn these over on demand in any condition

I think maybe the compromises to make a high speed driver anhyzer are just.. gross? I've had grooves and terns and they both have something off about them. Its not like a valk or a leopard where the anhyzer is smooth throughout the shape, its this sudden weird right motion that happens all at once if that makes sense.

My best guess is that I need to throw a speed within my power where there isn't some gimmicky anhyzer in the mold to help noobs and I'm thinking about getting on orc or starfire again, used to throw those years ago, but idk if anything slots in like I'm thinking.

Acceptable to tell me to git good, I'm definitely bad right now also I'm dumb thank you for your consideration

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 7, 2022

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Hard to say without seeing video of your throws, but it doesn’t sound like you need to, or should be, throwing 13+ speed discs.

Wraith is one of the most popular drivers out there, although it sounds like a new (non beat in) one would be too overstable for you. Gstar plastic would be flippiest. Don’t get a Champ one. I personally throw Lat64 Grace, which is very Wraithlike but not as overstable. Similar (to a Grace) discs would be something like an MVP Photon, Streamline Trace, Discmania Enigma, Discraft Surge or Surge SS.

Or you could step down into the high fairway-driver range and get something like a Thunderbird, Tesla, Saint, Undertaker, etc, but if you’re already throwing a Valkyrie, maybe just go up to a Beast?

I guess the true path up the speeds in the same “line” for Innova is something like Valkyrie-> Beast -> Archon -> Wahoo -> Shryke.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 9, 2022

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
Salt Fish - I also think you should try a lighter weight Wraith, they are fairly easy to find in lighter weights for us old folks. Even if it dumps out on you at first it will be useful for headwinds. I have a 150 Blizzard Champion that flies similar lines to a Champion Valkyrie, just a bit further. It does really get blown around in the wind though. I save it for wide open holes where that extra distance is more important than picking a landing zone.

Put those Bosses away, my brother has a Star 175 that might as well be a brick and a lightweight RPro with big chunks missing from the rim, that one is an instant roller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I realized on Monday that I've not been holding/throwing my backhand drives properly - basically wasn't getting a wrist snap to get the spin and rotational speed because I was more holding the disc how I would if I was throwing backhand in ultimate, which I'm not great at and only use for short distances. :psyduck:

Definitely already seeing and feeling the improvements of just readjusting how I use my wrist, but that means that my accuracy has now gone into the shitter, lol. Still feels good to have a literal "oh wait a minute... oh... oh poo poo this is how I really SHOULD be holding a disc!" moment.

In bad news, I was throwing out of the brush yesterday and turned my head at the exact wrong angle to take a twig completely into my ear canal. That was surprisingly painful, gently caress.