Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

GonSmithe posted:

The only thing you need to see to know that anyone who actively uses IMDB ratings as a barometer is just dumber

Rewatching “The Dark Knight” today is painful. Both it and especially its sequel are right wing glorification films. I don’t mean to sound like a CSPAMer but christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Somebody recently brought up South Side in this thread (or the previous incarnation) and let me just say thanks - I'm really enjoying it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Grand Crew is pretty funny so far in season one. it has carl tart and Nicole byer

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

GonSmithe posted:

The only thing you need to see to know that anyone who actively uses IMDB ratings as a barometer is just dumb

Using any of the crowd-sourced objective ranking lists as a an objective way to figure out if one movie is better than another is silly, whether it's IMDB, Metacritic, RT, or anything else. It's not just IMDB's problem. Those sites put out ranked lists to get clicks even though it's basically nonsense when you're talking about something this subjective.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Apocalypse fatigue. We've just had so much of it over the last 12 years or so (mostly thanks to The Waking Dead), it took several episodes for Station Eleven to really differentiate itself. By the end I was absolutely enthralled, but the first few episodes were a bit of a slog to get through. I can see how a lot of people would just be turned off.

I put off watching it because of the whole pandemic angle, but so many people told me it was really good that I finally got past it. However, the opening episode was pretty much as on-the-nose as I feared, even if it was just a coincidence.

It's a fantastic show so far, no regrets, but it does piss me off that they changed the main setting from Toronto to Chicago for seemingly no reason at all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sopranos Season 6 part 1: watched 4 or so episodes in the last couple days, but this Artie episode's gonna take me a week to get through.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Glottis posted:

Using any of the crowd-sourced objective ranking lists as a an objective way to figure out if one movie is better than another is silly, whether it's IMDB, Metacritic, RT, or anything else. It's not just IMDB's problem. Those sites put out ranked lists to get clicks even though it's basically nonsense when you're talking about something this subjective.

Yes, agreed, but nowadays you hear a lot more people saying “this movie is rated [whatever] on IMDB!!!” than the others from people. They seem to think that because it’s user-generated it’s more “trustworthy” than the “stuck up critical rating” from the other sites.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

I put off watching it because of the whole pandemic angle, but so many people told me it was really good that I finally got past it. However, the opening episode was pretty much as on-the-nose as I feared, even if it was just a coincidence.

It's a fantastic show so far, no regrets, but it does piss me off that they changed the main setting from Toronto to Chicago for seemingly no reason at all.

I have the book, but just couldn't get into it and gave up after a couple of chapters, so I didn't know the differences. Reading the wikipedia summary, it looks like they changed A LOT with the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked it okay but the comic book in the show was off-putting and pretentious and the whole show was about the comic book or something idk. I liked the parts about living on a hobo wagon

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Would any of you be interested if I did a “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” Super Review, the same way that I did one on Seinfeld?

Or am I a loser nerd with no life who will be just wasting his time on stupid nonsense that nobody cares about?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would any of you be interested if I did a “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” Super Review, the same way that I did one on Seinfeld?

Or am I a loser nerd with no life who will be just wasting his time on stupid nonsense that nobody cares about?

I really enjoyed your Seinfeld review and while I'm several seasons behind in Sunny I'd still love to read it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Please.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

There are several eps missing from hulu due to blackface etc just fyi

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I watched Nobody on HBO Max and boy if you didn't know it was written by the John Wick guy you would figure it out very quickly, lol. Still a solid 6/10 comedy action film if you like that sort of thing. Bob Odenkirk is a lovely man.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's literally just John Wick with Bob Odenkirk lol. It was a fun enough watch though. I didn't love either of them but they aren't a bad time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, I'll definitely make a super review post.

doctorthefonz posted:

There are several eps missing from hulu due to blackface etc just fyi
Wow didn't realize that. Apparently the blackface is "brownface" as Dee portrays a Latina. I'm Latino so this will be interesting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I absolutely couldn't get into Nobody, it was just so blatantly a sad midlife crisis power fantasy. The whole plot basically boils down to "Protagonist is called a pussy, stumbles upon an unrelated bunch of russian mafia, and turns out to be totally a secret super badass who beats them all up". Though in fairness, the action is solidly choreographed and shot.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 26, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that he was a secret badass was the worst part. I thought it was gonna be some joe shmo slogging and suffering through it, but it was literally just John Wick which imo was already just about the most overrated movie I've ever seen. The one thing that appeared to set it apart wasn't even actually a thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not a great movie, but I enjoyed seeing Odenkirk do something a little different and the action is all pretty decent and occasionally clever. There’s no way it’ll get one, but I wouldn’t be opposed to a sequel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Odenkirk was great in it. So was Keanu in John Wick which I think is pretty much the main draw of those movies along with the solid action scenes. The writing in them is absolutely awful.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay, I'll definitely make a super review post.

Wow didn't realize that. Apparently the blackface is "brownface" as Dee portrays a Latina. I'm Latino so this will be interesting.

No it's actual blackface. They made a series of parody/sequels of Lethal Weapon and traded off doing blackface to play Murtaugh.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Perestroika posted:

I absolutely couldn't get into Nobody, it was just so blatantly a sad midlife crisis power fantasy. The whole plot basically boils down to "Protagonist is called a pussy, stumbles upon an unrelated bunch of russian mafia, and turns out to be totally a secret super badass who beats them all up". Though in fairness, the action is solidly choreographed and shot.

Nobody has like 1 really good scene (the bus fight) but the entire end capper action sequence is CRINGE. Its way too cartoonish. I did like the back story stuff for Bob's character, and he is having fun in the movie. I also wouldn't mind a sequel but I'd rather things hewed more to that first fight rather than the end sequence.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Perestroika posted:

Actually Odenkirk wrote it as therapy when he actually was involved in a home invasion and his inaction (which of course is the right thing to do) planted some deep seated guilt about an inability to protect his family.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No it's actual blackface. They made a series of parody/sequels of Lethal Weapon and traded off doing blackface to play Murtaugh.

It's both, they pulled the eps where Sweet Dee was in brown face as a Puerto Rican too I think.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My favorite part of the two John Wick movies I saw was that the bad guys were played by Swedish actors portraying Russians who didn’t give a drat about faking the correct accent because Americans can’t tell the difference anyway

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I know the black face stuff is terrible but drat the Lethal Weapon episodes were loving hilarious.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Actually Odenkirk wrote it as therapy when he actually was involved in a home invasion and his inaction (which of course is the right thing to do) planted some deep seated guilt about an inability to protect his family.

I'm imagining two alternate version of Nobody - a satirical version where his crusade to get his manhood back is played for laughs and an introspective version where he actually grapples with his feelings and both sound like far more interesting movies that Odenkirk would hit out of the park.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Field Mousepad posted:

I know the black face stuff is terrible but drat the Lethal Weapon episodes were loving hilarious.

Yeah the point of the *face scenes on sunny is to mock the characters’ ignorance not poc but doing things ironically is still doing them and it ain’t good

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's explicit in the show that the other characters think it's racist. The joke is that they are lovely narcissistic people.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Field Mousepad posted:

Luckily they made another one!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Pepper Jack loves Lethal Weapon

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

My wife recently watched the series with me and we had to download them

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finding out that the main character in “Nobody” was a secret badass all along really puts me off from watching it. The entire thing that intrigued me was because I thought it was a story about a Joesixpack who trains his way to being a badass after said event.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's directed by the Hardcore Henry guy so it's still a reliable enough pick for a stupid but solid action film.
Also why Russians feature a significant part of the plot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simplex posted:

It's explicit in the show that the other characters think it's racist. The joke is that they are lovely narcissistic people.

Yeah but they could have just done a different joke. I'm not defending removing it from streaming, that's the dumbest way to handle it. But the writers chose to write those jokes, despite the context. They could have just chosen not to make blackface into a joke.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finding out that the main character in “Nobody” was a secret badass all along really puts me off from watching it. The entire thing that intrigued me was because I thought it was a story about a Joesixpack who trains his way to being a badass after said event.

You might be interested in The Art of Self-Defense which is on hulu, I loved it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

yeah i love Odenkirk but its just such a mediocre movie... real waste of talent and premise imo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

doctorthefonz posted:

Yeah this was really great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

doctorthefonz posted:

Big fan here as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I hate hate that on my Roku TV i have to exit back to the loving homescreen settings to toggle subtitles on Disney+ and HBO Max, then go back in. Especially since the stuff I watch on those are most likely to have the loud as hell action scene vs library quiet talking scene volume swing.
Do you have the * on the remote? That works for my Roku Box.