Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Electric Phantasm posted:

An MC's ace getting banned is incredibly funny even more so that IIRC Konami had to fight back on it until it became abundantly clear that Firewall was enabling the FTKs.

"BAN EVERYTHING. SURELY THEY WON'T FIND AN FTK THIS TIME!" - John Konami, probably

It was the Blaze Fenix problem all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Should I feel like I'm bullying low tier people with an Aromage deck despite also being low tier? Because it does feel bullshit that I can just destroy their monsters with one of the hundred ways to gain LP that Aromages have.

edit: The deck in Master Duel is of course called Smell of the Game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dabir posted:

Master Duel's localisation is slipshod to say the least. Parts of it definitely read like they've run it through machine translation.

It's really obvious in the Monarch story, where it constantly calls them "Emperors" instead of "Monarchs". Getting an entire archetype name wrong is one hell of a mistake.

King of Solomon posted:

Are we convinced Luke isn't the protagonist? :v:

Can't say I am. I mean, he did win the tournament for the King of Duels title, and the big bad is specifically focused on him, not Yuga. But his name doesn't start with Yu...it's a weird one. Much like Luke.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Testekill posted:

Should I feel like I'm bullying low tier people with an Aromage deck despite also being low tier? Because it does feel bullshit that I can just destroy their monsters with one of the hundred ways to gain LP that Aromages have.

edit: The deck in Master Duel is of course called Smell of the Game.

I'm play madolche and making eldlich players so mad.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm play madolche and making eldlich players so mad.

Tiaramisu's the best :allears:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So I recently started watching through GX for the first time and I hit the end of "season 1" I guess. Taking a break and watching some other stuff before continuing so I thought I'd do a review of what I've seen. I'm watching the JP version, if it isn't made abundantly clear by me using the original names for everyone.

One of the first things I noticed was that Yugioh feels really weird when everything happens in more or less the same set of locations. Pretty much everything in the original series involved the gang traveling from place to place, only staying in one place for multiple "encounters" (since I'm including the pre and post-Duelist manga arcs) for very specific circumstances, like the finals of Duelist Kingdom and Battle City, and in Battle City they switch from the zeppelin to the tower halfway through. Hell, even those had some different cool backgrounds thanks to field spells during the Yugi vs Bakura and Kaiba duels. Duel Academy isn't a bad setting by any means but being in one place for so long does make it feel a tad repetitive when you see Asuka and Ryou standing on that pier for the 15th time, or Judai dueling people on that little shoreline next to the cliff near the Osiris Red dorms multiple times. Not the biggest complaint in the world, just something that struck me as a pretty stark difference from the original.

Something else was the increased focus on duels. I don't think a single duel in this first season went longer than 2 episodes, because very rarely do they cut away to other characters doing stuff or have tons of lore and flashbacks and the like, which plagued a lot of Yugi's big duels. They're much snappier. That said, a lot of them feel kind of rushed, like because they're not adapting from a pre-existing story, they wanted to make it much more purposefully episodic in nature, duelist of the week type stuff. I'm not going to say they should have gone back to 5 and 6 parters but I honestly do feel like you could justify a few 3 parters here and there, just to give the duels and the stories surrounding them some time to breathe.

I know things get crazier and more in-depth as the series goes but in season 1 there were a lot of one-off "hijinks" duels as I view them, most of them just there purely to serve as establishing Judai as the focal point of the story and give him cred as the new guy to replace Yugi while exploring Duel Academy somewhat. Tons of low stakes stuff early on, lot of stuff with Professor Cronos trying to get him kicked out and comedically failing when Judai passed whatever dumb trial he was put up too. A few of these were fun, I enjoyed Kagurazaka the copycat duelist with Yugi's deck, Motegi Mokeo the sleepy kid on the roof, and most of the main cast's duels with one another. Less fun were SAL the dueling monkey (do you get the "saru" pun), Mitsuru Ayanokouji the tennis guy, Taizan Taira the tarzan guy, and, I think, the single worst episode so far, Anacis the guy with the submarine. I absolutely despised that episode.

Obviously the big thing in season 1 is the Seven Stars arc, which started pretty strong but got progressively less interesting as it went. Judai vs "Darkness" was a fun duel, it was cool to see someone using an actual Red-Eyes deck rather than Jonouchi's warrior/gamble deck that just Also Has A Red-Eyes In It. Vampire Camula was the highlight of the arc for sure, even despite several very stupid things going on with the writing. Like, they knew she was going to use one of their souls as the payment for her dumb soul-taker card instead of her own after her duel with Ryou, why did they then all come to watch Judai duel her the next day? Surely it would have been smart to just, let him go alone so they couldn't be used as leverage against him??? Also the whole "last vampire" backstory... goes absolutely nowhere and means absolutely nothing and I don't know why it was a thing. Why is she a vampire??????? What???????????? Ah whatever. She was cool regardless. Tanya.... I liked her duel with Judai a lot, not so much the one with Misawa. The rest of the Stars were all ok but not great, I thought. Manjoume and Asuka actually getting wins against Don Zaloog and Titan when it seemed like they were setting up for all 5 of the other keyholders to just lose as soon as they were up to bat and then Judai saves the day, I was pleasantly surprised. Of course then they got chumped almost entirely off-screen by Amnael but I guess while that's less dignified it's also less annoying than dragging out both of them losing two full duels against the guy. Oh and Kagemaru was dumb and sucked, and that duel was lame.

Overall I had a good enough time watching. I'm a little sick of Judai's deck because he duels SO MUCH MORE than Yugi did, you see the exact same 8 monsters over and over and over every single episode. Holding my breath for the Neo-Spacians to arrive and make his deck way worse while they treat it like a powerup because lmfao those cards are so bad. Trying to make them into a workable deck in Duel Links was hell.

San da.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

My first exposure to GX was Legacy of the Duelist and it’s kind of beautiful playing through Jaden’s deck just plummeting in quality

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's kinda incredible making an archetype where Jaden getting Yugi's normal monsters would have been an upgrade.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They also never really took the hint and Neos stuff gets printed to this day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but out of curiosity, why was Zexal the only series to get split up into two separate seasons as opposed to airing as one big show like usual?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The original sucked so hard they needed to launder its reputation a bit.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity, why was Zexal the only series to get split up into two separate seasons as opposed to airing as one big show like usual?

Probably at least partially because the western reaction to Zexal was so utterly vile that they wanted to try and rebrand it.

Justin_Brett posted:

They also never really took the hint and Neos stuff gets printed to this day.

There was a long period where Neos stuff didn't get printed at all. Konami was fully aware of how bad it was. Hell, when they did the special Bonds Beyond Time eyecatches in 5D's, they ignored Neo-Spacians entirely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nndv7V53YA

At least most of the modern Neos stuff is pretty decent and playable. Rainbow Neos even got to be meta for a while after Neos Fusion got printed.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

A lot of modern Neos stuff is actually quite good it's just trapped on a baseline of absolute dogshit.

The original elemental heroes were bad but there were a handful of good ones like Stratos and they had a coherent game plan at least.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Just retrain the Neo-Spacians as like 'Neo-Space HERO' monsters and give them all a clause that lets them be treated as their original versions and that fixes a ton of their issues.

They still won't be good but they'd be better at least.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/DMC3444/status/1486423755660447746

Sevens... :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I love this stupid show so much, hopefully Go Rush will have a similar tone (it’s being helmed by a lot of the same staff after all and seems to be to Sevens what GX was to Duel Monsters).

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I await the episode where the new protag gets challenged by someone with an Eggwich themed deck!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a good thing I already know how to play the game, because some of these tutorials in Master Duel are straight up nonsense. When trying to teach Link laddering: "Link 2 enables usage of 2 link materials".

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's really obvious in the Monarch story, where it constantly calls them "Emperors" instead of "Monarchs". Getting an entire archetype name wrong is one hell of a mistake.

Can't say I am. I mean, he did win the tournament for the King of Duels title, and the big bad is specifically focused on him, not Yuga. But his name doesn't start with Yu...it's a weird one. Much like Luke.

Lu-Ki-Oh SEVENS

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Trying to build a deck around the Arc-V Ancient Gear doombot in Master Duel and I cannot for the life of me remember how it actually appeared in Arc-V, just that it was during a synchro-arc duel.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MiddleOne posted:

Trying to build a deck around the Arc-V Ancient Gear doombot in Master Duel and I cannot for the life of me remember how it actually appeared in Arc-V, just that it was during a synchro-arc duel.

It was summoned by Dennis (the performage guy) using cards that arent in the game.

Your key cards in the real.game are the various ancient gear and EARTH Machine support so you can actually get enough resources so you arent depleted by the end of your turn. And the best way to get chaos giant out is overload fusion.
One a good turn you can get both Chaos Giant and Megaton golem on board.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 7, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, as someone who’s only experienced the franchise via the former how often does the anime use cards that are NOT in the actual game (I assume pretty regularly since a lot of them feel like they’d be giant “I win” buttons under normal circumstances)? For example, do the God cards from the original and 5Ds actually exist?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 7, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, as someone who’s only experienced the franchise via the former how often does the anime use cards that are NOT in the actual game (I assume pretty regularly since a lot of them feel like they’d be giant “I win” buttons under normal circumstances)? For example, do the God cards from the original and 5Ds actually exist?

Pretty often. The cards that are in both are also usually pretty different.

Like take Jaden's Masked Hero deck. The basic monsters he uses in it don't exist in the card game, only the fusions which you turn normal Elemental Heroes into via a card called 'Mask Change'. Or how Junk Warrior in the card game gets the attack of level 2 monsters on the field when summoned not the attack of its component fusion monsters.

The god cards exist and they're pretty terrible in the card game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh all the time, most of Vrains' recurring villains for example use cards that still aren't printed for real. How it works is stuff usually appears in the shows and then a pack somewhere down the line.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also in general the decks played in the show are hilariously power crept by the game. Mostly because at this point if you can't bring out 2/3 boss monsters and one turn kill your opponent on turn 2 while eating through the 5/6 negates they set up on the board your deck is way too slow and will lose to any meta deck :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xm4em6GAQM

Watch this deck which does 44 Synchro summons in one turn to deck the opponent out on turn one for an example.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 7, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I remember a card in Arc-V that literally prevented the opponent from doing anything as long as it was on the field.

Also out of curiosity, how are Life Points calculated in the real card game? Do you have to keep track of them via a piece of paper or something?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

I remember a card in Arc-V that literally prevented the opponent from doing anything as long as it was on the field.

Also out of curiosity, how are Life Points calculated in the real card game? Do you have to keep track of them via a piece of paper or something?

Yeah, setting up some cards to prevent the opponent from doing anything is pretty common in the actual game as well. It usually takes 2-3 cards but its completely possible and is breakable mostly by the fact Yugioh has ridiculous rules and edge cases to handle stuff like that.

And yeah, if you're playing in person you usually have a little notepad to keep track of stuff like Life Points and what the attributes of any tokens are etc unless you're real rich and spring for fancy ones with the info written on them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It was summoned by Dennis (the performage guy) using cards that arent in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLwOZVzoNuU

'gently caress your Chaos Giant.'

(Please print the rest of Dennis' Performages, thanks.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

That's just Mystic Mine

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's just Mystic Mine

Zore posted:

Yeah, setting up some cards to prevent the opponent from doing anything is pretty common in the actual game as well. It usually takes 2-3 cards but its completely possible and is breakable mostly by the fact Yugioh has ridiculous rules and edge cases to handle stuff like that.

And yeah, if you're playing in person you usually have a little notepad to keep track of stuff like Life Points and what the attributes of any tokens are etc unless you're real rich and spring for fancy ones with the info written on them.

Huh, I would have sworn that one was anime exclusive. So does that imply normal versions of certain cards don’t have damage values or effects written on them then? If so, how are you supposed to know how they work?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Huh, I would have sworn that one was anime exclusive. So does that imply normal versions of certain cards don’t have damage values or effects written on them then? If so, how are you supposed to know how they work?

Oh no, any legal card will have numbers and effects written on it. Here's the text in the card game for Mystic Mine

quote:

If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, your opponent cannot activate monster effects or declare an attack. If you control more monsters than your opponent does, you cannot activate monster effects or declare an attack. Once per turn, during the End Phase, if both players control the same number of monsters: Destroy this card.

Its pretty trivial to get rid of with something like Harpy's Feather Duster or any other spell/trap with a destruction effect and only saw minor competitive play.

The God Cards in the game also have their (weaker) effects written out on them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So what did you mean by fancy cards that have the info written on them then?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think they meant tokens there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Bee posted:

I think they meant tokens there.

Ah ok, so in that case how exactly are you supposed to know what Tokens do then if you just have the normal cards?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, so in that case how exactly are you supposed to know what Tokens do then if you just have the normal cards?

The cards that generate the token will tell you what the token is supposed to be. For a classic example:

If the token has an effect, the card that creates the token will include that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

The cards that generate the token will tell you what the token is supposed to be. For a classic example:

If the token has an effect, the card that creates the token will include that.

Ok, I don’t understand what Zore means by “fancy versions” then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I meant some people buy or make fancy tokens with that info written on it to match their deck. Sorry if that was confusing

So like if you play Scapegoat you might have 4 plastic tokens with the (Earth, lvl 1, 0 Atk, 0 Def) on them instead of blank generic tokens and notes to track that info

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I get it now. Thanks

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 7, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The cards you see in the anime dub have no info on them and don't look like the actual game's cards because of American laws preventing use of actual merchandise in a show that's selling merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 7, 2022