Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with me, why do I suddenly think scooters are really cool?

Scooters have always been cool, its you who has now become cool

One of my favorite shirts ever is an ancient, ratty Milwaukee Scooter Club shirt that I got at a rally in the earlier 00's. ~MY WIFE~ hates it but I dont think I can retire it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Retiring your wife is a very complex process, I wouldn't bother unless it was absolutely necessary

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure ADVRider has some good tips

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys who likes cafe racers!!

Because this bike probably crashed into one!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They mixed up their hipster motorcycle buzzwords.

When you crash a fully faired bike, it becomes a streetfighter

When you ruin a UJM, it becomes a cafe racer

:themoreyouknow:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I’d love a Vespa but it would overlap too much with my commuter bicycle.

Super Duke is pretty sketchy on ice. Who knew?

dema fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 26, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
New BMW e-scooter

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

New BMW e-scooter

Have those absolute mad lads gone for the funniest possible front end and made it 2WD?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

busalover posted:

New BMW e-scooter

More bikes like this, please. Really just more maxi scoots and cyber future styling. Is there even built in storage in that?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Starting at 12k? No loving thanks.

It does look cool though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

busalover posted:

New BMW e-scooter

I'm not a scooter fan myself, but there is room in the world for scooters, including escooters, and more power to those who enjoy them!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
If money was no object, I would go buy one of those right loving now. I love my Lambretta clone but goddamn.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What does the little orange plastic not-a-windshield do?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Sagebrush posted:

look dope

There's also a high windshield option for probably $500 or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Projects a HUD that can only display tyre pressure warnings and dealer service reminders, can only be reset with a dealer tool.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
80 miles/130 km by the wmtc standard. and max charge rate 6.9kw so 0-80% is 65 mins anyway.

ref https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/urban_mobility/ce04/range-and-charging.html#/section-charging-columns-and-charge-status

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Projects a HUD that can only display tyre pressure monitoring system failure warnings and dealer service reminders, can only be reset with a dealer tool.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm the pillion seat dangling out over the rear end end of nowhere with nothing nearby to strap bungies /bolt a rack and carrier for a topbox to. Maxi scoot with no storage = tits on a bull

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Correction, 15k MSRP :lol:

Who the gently caress is the market for these?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The same people who bought all the previous paradigm shifting bmw scooters. Nobody.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Correction, 15k MSRP :lol:

Who the gently caress is the market for these?

Parisian commuters.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The same people who bought all the previous paradigm shifting bmw scooters. Nobody.

It never occurred to me that BMW makes scoots, but of course they do, so in my googling.... feast your eyes:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2021-BMW-N-MOTO-Golden-Age-KIT-5014873498

I guess there's enough of a market for bmw scoots that there's a custom builder to snazzy em up.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 27, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

It never occurred to me that BMW makes scoots, but of course they do

how could anyone forget the c1?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Haha omg reminds me of this

https://youtu.be/0K_Iw-ikBe0&t=20

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Sagebrush posted:

Why not go all the way if you're gonna enclose a BMW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdkZB9-Sd4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Invalido posted:

Why not go all the way if you're gonna enclose a BMW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdkZB9-Sd4

30 seconds in, and the inventor is already making the backwards claim that a motorcycle is less stable when it has a high center of gravity. car people just don't fuckin get it.

admittedly i would still ride/drive that thing

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 27, 2022

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
2/10, no srimech

Unless they added one since the last time I saw one of these on TV circa 2007 when the presenter managed to drop it at a standstill and it took two people to get it back upright.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm sure it's super dumb and worthless in reality but it's also kind of neat, at least I thought so when I saw that thing on TV as a child. I could imagine one as a streamlined recumbent bicycle that could haul rear end on flat ground maybe (because three wheels are an inferior number of wheels)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think criticisms of the price are ignoring 1) It's an electric so $$$$ and 2) it's a BMW so $$$$

It looks neat and that's great. For my money I'd just fly n ride a used NM4, though.

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm the pillion seat dangling out over the rear end end of nowhere with nothing nearby to strap bungies /bolt a rack and carrier for a topbox to. Maxi scoot with no storage = tits on a bull

Just wear a backpack :lol:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 27, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Harley Davidson will typically look at what modders are doing with motorcycles, and release new models from the factory that encompass what those various scenes are doing. Some of their most iconic motorcycles, like the Nightster and Night Train, as blacked out versions of existing bikes, or the Street Glide, that folks were taking Electraglides and chopping the trunk off, have come from understanding and anticipating what people would just want right from the factory.

Apparently, looking at those needs combined with an understanding that people don't actually ride CVO motorcycles has motivated them to just put 21" big wheels on their CVO bikes.

I guess it doesn't ride like poo poo if you don't actually ride it.

And just look at that thing. Who wouldn't want to pay $42,000 for that*?

*literally everyone

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was hoping for new paint jobs for some of their Softails.

Shame the majority of what they released are batwing faired bikes which I don't care for.

Also a shame they haven't just started putting the 117 in all the Softails by default.

Also why can't I just get a 131 in a Softail when walking in the door, why is it a "buy a crate engine for an extra ten grand, then pay us to swap it out from the 114".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

The C1 rules and I wish we got them here in the US

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Where’s my modern C5 you cowards.

I want to cheat death on the reg in the manner in which Sir Clive originally intended.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Harley Davidson will typically look at what modders are doing with motorcycles, and release new models from the factory that encompass what those various scenes are doing. Some of their most iconic motorcycles, like the Nightster and Night Train, as blacked out versions of existing bikes, or the Street Glide, that folks were taking Electraglides and chopping the trunk off, have come from understanding and anticipating what people would just want right from the factory.

Apparently, looking at those needs combined with an understanding that people don't actually ride CVO motorcycles has motivated them to just put 21" big wheels on their CVO bikes.

I guess it doesn't ride like poo poo if you don't actually ride it.

And just look at that thing. Who wouldn't want to pay $42,000 for that*?

*literally everyone

Actually, horrendous looks aside, that exists because this exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohS5e_zSf4

And like you say, they're anticipating customer demand for a full dress bagger that can at least nominally corner well, and big wheels is a quick and dirty way of doing that.

Not defending the bike itself though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Actually, horrendous looks aside, that exists because this exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohS5e_zSf4

And like you say, they're anticipating customer demand for a full dress bagger that can at least nominally corner well, and big wheels is a quick and dirty way of doing that.

Not defending the bike itself though.

Is it really? I didn't watch the full thing, hopefully I'll have time later, but I thought bigger wheels were only good when you're offroading or for cosmetics. I'd assume wider tires would be better for cornering on a bike, but the CVO tire doesn't look particularly wide.

But wouldn't it only be good on a track? I have to imagine that a larger wheel will transfer more vibrations and chaos from the road, most of which (in the US) are considerably shittier than the pavement you'd find on a track.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a few different things going on here.

In isolation, narrower wheels are always better for cornering than fat ones. Wider tyres = more lean angle to achieve a given corner speed for a given line = skinnier tyres have inherently more corner speed.

In real life, bikes have weight and horsepower and the need to stop and go in a hurry. This is all done through pure mechanical grip, which is proportionate to the size of the tyre, so fatter tyres = more grip = better straight line performance.

All modern bikes have tyre sizes as a compromise between these two extremes.

So we come to the bagger. As you've probably discovered, the biggest limitation to corner speed on Harleys is lack of ground clearance. Creating clearance by making the suspension tall, like the bikes in the video, basically turns them into a ridiculous motard looking thing - very unmarketable. But sticking on huge wheels is worth several inches of ground clearance and it's 'free' in the sense that it doesn't mess up the rest of the bike's appearance.

Whether it rides worse or better than a normal one is really down to how heavy the wheels are, and how much effort they put into retuning the suspension to compensate for the stiffer tyre construction and possibly heavier rim.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 27, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

Is it really? I didn't watch the full thing, hopefully I'll have time later, but I thought bigger wheels were only good when you're offroading or for cosmetics. I'd assume wider tires would be better for cornering on a bike, but the CVO tire doesn't look particularly wide.

But wouldn't it only be good on a track? I have to imagine that a larger wheel will transfer more vibrations and chaos from the road, most of which (in the US) are considerably shittier than the pavement you'd find on a track.

Yes and no. Traditionally you want smaller wheels on a sports bike, because the bigger the wheel the more gyroscopic force fighting direction change and the more unsprung weight, hence the 16" front on the original Fireblade. However the gyroscopic thing is actually a bit of a red herring because there's so many other forces involved, and a bigger tyre gives a bigger contact patch, so that (and the ability to fit a lot more tyres on the front because most manufacturers didn't bother with making a special one-off tyre for the 'Blade even when it was the best selling bike in the world) is why so many retrofitted 17" fronts (and it's that latter thing that keeps bike wheels in such a relatively narrow range of sizes).

If you were loopy enough to want to race a big fat bagger like that, putting bigger wheels on would increase your contact patch and, crucially, massively increase ground clearance without having to completely redo the suspension. Also bigger wheels are better on poo poo tarmac because there are then less holes longer than your wheel - this is exactly why off-road bikes have 19" or bigger front wheels.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh also, while we're on the topic of weird motorcycle space pods, let's not forget the LIT C1

The guy inside in the last picture is the creator/CEO of the company and a friend of a friend, in fact. The big weird concept with this vehicle is that it has two gyro-stabilized motorized flywheels in the bottom, which work like satellite reaction wheels and allow the thing to balance itself upright at a standstill without deploying outriggers. It does work, surprisingly, and quite well too. Astute viewers may notice that the one he's in looks different from the one the lady is getting out of -- his is the working prototype, hers is a foam mockup.

Like most space pod motorcycles, I think it fills a niche that doesn't really exist -- at least not yet. Maybe if people got past the idea that you're supposed to always buy the biggest, ugliest, angriest motor vehicle you can afford, it would be a good all-weather commuter vehicle. As it is, it's too weird for people to buy it as a car replacement, and nobody is going to pay what it costs (that gyro mechanism is not cheap) just to have a motorcycle where you don't have to put your feet down. Last I heard he was shopping it around to various tech companies hoping one of them would pick it up. It periodically appears in rumors about the ~Apple Car~ because, well, look at it. That's some brand synergy right there.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Sagebrush posted:

oh also, while we're on the topic of weird motorcycle space pods, let's not forget the LIT C1

In Neal Stephenson's sci-fi novel "the diamond age" vehicles using either half a lane or a full lane are mentioned, and full lane vehicles are treated as an expensive luxury by the author.

There was an attempt at a gyro stabilised two-wheeler thing in the 1960's. It had outriggers though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTCVn4EByfI
Personally I like things that lean into corners because it feels good. I'm not alone in this but the only non-motorcycle corner leaning thing I ever see in traffic are these things:

I think their main attraction is that you can drive them with a regular car licence and go faster than a class 1 moped (45km/h).

I've never ever seen any of these:

I also strongly feel that three wheels is wrong and bad because wheels should always come in pairs unless it's a wheelbarrow. So pod bikes are cool I guess and I want to try one but not pay for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yamaha is still selling the Niken, though I'd have to think they're not exactly flying off the shelves. They also won't stand up by themselves at a stop.

Speaking of which, what happens when the batteries run dead in the gryo-stabilized pod? I assume it falls over?