Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Turns out Limp Bizkit was Isekai'd into the world years ago at the height of their popularity in our world and have actually been very popular in the world of Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

HD DAD posted:

Fred Durst as Cid confirmed.

Fittingly, that would probably mean that Jack is Cid's favorite motherfucker

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I mean that was pretty canon in FF1 already, wasn’t it? Maybe not as explicitly.

I am beginning to realize not enough people in this thread have played ff1, shame on yall

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I started the FF1 PR in preparation for this, it's been one of my biggest gaming gaps to fill

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't forget the Lufenians have a way to preserve and transfer memories through history and generations. It's the only reason, in setting, why we know Cid, the Warrior of Light, and Chaos' origins. Also Cosmos' origin too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i listened to a bunch of ff6 arrangements the other day and now i am fiending for 6pr whereas i probably would have not bothered to replay it before

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I started the FF1 PR in preparation for this, it's been one of my biggest gaming gaps to fill

It is not a difficult game

Unless you do a no-saves run

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jokes posted:

It is not a difficult game

Unless you do a no-saves run

The only difficulty of a no-saves run is not giving up due to the tedium and sheer boredom caused by RNG restarts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I didn’t say it would be fun!

Although honestly Chaos is a pretty hard fight, since as we know one must kill chaos. It came as quite the shock because other than Chaos I felt like the game overall was very easy.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't usually post in this thread because I haven't played FF8-14 so I have no strong opinions on if Lightning is a girlboss or Squall is a victim of gaslighting but I love FF1 so I am excited to play as Jack Garland and save the princess from my future and possibly past selves while listening to nu-metal ok peace

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't usually post in this thread because I haven't played FF8-14 so I have no strong opinions on if Lightning is a girlboss or Squall is a victim of gaslighting but I love FF1 so I am excited to play as Jack Garland and save the princess from my future and possibly past selves while listening to nu-metal ok peace

You understand what Final Fantasy is about

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

bullshit.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Evil Fluffy posted:

God bless this dumb game and SE playing it straight and having a highly advanced civilization in a world where the rest of the world are medieval, pre-industrial societies somehow.

I always liked high fantasy running into sci fi out of nowhere, which they seemed to like to do back then. FF1, the Ultima games, might and magic series, and others had these high fantasy settings but then there would be robots and aliens and lasers and what have you out of nowhere. It sort of seems like now when that stuff is mixed its all just in a big jumble from the start into the setting, like later final fantasy games, and less bizarre fuckery like if the final boss of Skyrim was an ancient AI computer after a whole game of high fantasy.

I gotta say, I haven't played a new final fantasy game in a billion years, i've never played any souls like action rpg games or whatever even once, I didn't even play the FF7 remake, but something about the trailers for this god drat weird FF1 remake has just gripped me and i'm incredibly into it and looking forward to playing it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I want more Wild Arms games so we can have more wild west running into sci fi, which has been sorely lacking for many years. Just ignore 4, that one's weird.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want more Wild Arms games so we can have more wild west running into sci fi, which has been sorely lacking for many years. Just ignore 4, that one's weird.

I am replaying Wild Arms 1 on PSP right now and agree with this 100%.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do miss the creativity and weirdness of PS1/PS2 era, most things now seem to be boilerplate anime fantasy or some laser focused otaku-bait subgenre. You just can't get a game about post-apocalyptic wild west cowboys or supernatural comedy horror in WW1-era eurasia anymore

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah I want a Mega Man Legends sequel too :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah I want a Mega Man Legends sequel too :(

This, but Battle Network.

...although maybe a spiritual sequel would be better than an actual one, I get the feeling that maybe we don't want to trust Capcom with a video game set in the internet right now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

...although maybe a spiritual sequel would be better than an actual one, I get the feeling that maybe we don't want to trust Capcom with a video game set in the internet right now.

Radiant Historia plays with the "turn-based on a 3x3 grid with positional stuff" formula pretty decently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Tl8tWjUjE

also for an actual sequel, well uh bad news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYP5Bq6QzLk

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I am replaying Wild Arms 1 on PSP right now and agree with this 100%.

You should absolutely play Alter Code F which cranks up both the wild west and sci fi themes to even greater heights, as well as WA3 which I feel is the best of the mainline games (that I've played to completion, I never did finish 5 though it was pretty good too).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

You should absolutely play Alter Code F which cranks up both the wild west and sci fi themes to even greater heights, as well as WA3 which I feel is the best of the mainline games (that I've played to completion, I never did finish 5 though it was pretty good too).

I absolutely love 3, but never did get a chance to try Alter Code F. I’ll definitely give it a go, as my plan was to replay the series in order.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have an unopened copy of Alter Code F and took a gander at eBay for how much it’s worth and uuuuh :stare:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cleretic posted:

That’s what Megaman Star Force is supposed to be. The first game was ok but hilariously broken a la FFVIII, the second game sucked and the third game was pretty great iirc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

One Step From Eden is 100% a spiritual sequel.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Boy of Joy posted:

I have an unopened copy of Alter Code F and took a gander at eBay for how much it’s worth and uuuuh :stare:

Do not sell it, play it. It's an absolute gem of a game.

Also don't bother watching the episodes of Twilight Venom that are included as a bonus. They aren't particularly good, and neither is the series as a whole. I watched all of it and it was fairly disappointing. It wasn't bad, but it was pretty forgettable and if it didn't have the Wild Arms name on it there would be even less reason to remember it than there is now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alter Code F is worse than WA1 in pretty much every way. It can still be funish but damned if it isn't one of my least favorite remakes ever.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Was just playing WA1 today, stitching a world map of it because I was surprised none existed. A game so old-school it has a built-in screensaver. Killer soundtrack too.

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1486460683076227075?t=wlj-pmW9LI26wTCHQNdzkA&s=19

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Alter Code F is worse than WA1 in pretty much every way. It can still be funish but damned if it isn't one of my least favorite remakes ever.

I could not disagree more with this post. I think ACF improves on the original in (almost) every way, especially considering all the new playable characters, the (mostly) awesome remixed music, the changes to make dungeons look more interesting and varied instead of them all looking identical, and the changes to how the characters played was great too. There's also closure to some of the stuff from the original game that never got it (like how reviving Elmina actually has a point in ACF).

That's not to say that I like all the changes though. Losing a couple of guardians was a shame (RIP Denogeneous), some of the music is worse in my opinion (the "mysterious village" music that plays at Saint Centour after the town is abandoned is far superior in the original as the most glaring example, and the loss of Zed's original theme is really disappointing too), and Giant's Cradle being removed sucks too. Also I can see how some of the additions (mostly the puzzle boxes) would be really irritating to people too, even if they are totally optional.

Electromax posted:

Was just playing WA1 today, stitching a world map of it because I was surprised none existed. A game so old-school it has a built-in screensaver. Killer soundtrack too.

ACF turns the world map theme into an even more blatant Ecstasy of Gold ripoff and it rules.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hate to break the news to you, but the team behind Wild Arms transitioned to mobile gaming, got in bed with Square for Chaos Rings. Then they got in bed with Sega and transitioned to third party support for the Valkyria Chronicles games.

A bunch of the original Wild Arms team also left media.vision for Alim. If Final Fantasy Brave Exvius seems kinda Wild Arms-ish at times, that's why.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 27, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Media.Vision did Shining Resonance (which is bad) and the Cyber Sleuth games (which are great) also. VC4 was kinda their last thing, but I hope they're doing something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope its more digimon

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope its more digimon

I wish they were making Survive instead of [checks notes] the developers of Idol Death Game and like three other budget games in the last ten years

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cleretic posted:

ImpAtom posted:

One Step From Eden is 100% a spiritual sequel.

Yeah, if you haven't checked out One Step from Eden yet, it's gameplay is almost exactly the MMBN battles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YWRMSsbOE4

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Onean posted:

Yeah, if you haven't checked out One Step from Eden yet, it's gameplay is almost exactly the MMBN battles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YWRMSsbOE4

I tried Eden and bounced off of it fairly hard.

The main thing that soured me was the lack of any kind of Custom Screen.

In BN, they could throw bullshit like Bass at you because you only had to deal with, at most, like 30 seconds of combat before you can open the Custom Screen and have a break to catch your breath before the next barrage. Eden instead has you instantly reload your deck the moment you run out, so you get All Fight All The Time, and I ended up finding it draining to play.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 27, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That was my experience with Eden too, it's just scathingly hard and completely unrelenting in its pace. The deck building kinda goes out the window without a chance to properly digest what your hand is at any point in a fight. A shame because the fundamentals are fantastic and it's clearly a work of passion, just wish it had a 'c'mon I'm in my 30s I can't keep up with this' mode

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I am beginning to realize not enough people in this thread have played ff1, shame on yall

If anyone wants to play FF1 the REAL way, there's lots of really useful guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0QlRiVuVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBL6hc-4H18&t=1794s

FF1 GBA was my introduction to the series, so I don't really think there's anything wrong with the remakes. They're so much faster paced they're like Half Minute Hero in comparison.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Just play the original version on a real nes and pad and stop making it hard for yourselves

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know the game is billing itself on being tough but I hope you can come back to starting areas level 999 with fisticuffs blaring limp bizkit while punching goblins in the head making them explode into red gemstones

just be this loving horrible menace to the monster population

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

You can also achieve flight by putting your arms out and running really fast in a field but there are better ways

ok that was a little mean, sorry, but unless you want to be a videogame anthropologist just play the Pixel versions, they feel like arcade-like remakes and that's cool when the base game is so old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The GBA remakes introduced me to the idea of what a remake should be, and they still stand as a gold standard. Pixel remasters are pretty much right beside them.