Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Calaveron posted:

... Are they talking about Wilbur? The same Wilbur who fell off a boat in a drunken stupor?

Incidentally, why is thread #19 off the live forums? I could've sworn I checked it out a couple of weeks ago to look up some of Wilbur's greatest hits but now I get an error message saying I can't access it

"oh, he gave me this dog" lady he adopted the dog, decided he didn't want it because it wasn't immediately easy, and dumped it on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

The cellar incident! Summarised in this then-mystifying strip. We're going to solve these mysteries. Solve 'em all up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

My hope is that Wilbur bursts in through the door, screams "I'M SAFE!" then all three strangle him and then go back to mourning sandwich boy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Brains vs. brawn (44/1936)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

I honestly don't think the art is that bad. Certainly not Wallace-level but it's not the worst thing I've seen. It serves it's purpose.

Yeah the art in Tinkersons has even improved in some ways, like someone pointed out that the mom doesn't have the weird bird hair anymore when she has her hair down at night.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I sort of try to follow the weekday Phantom strips although it's been hard with how much this story has been dragging rear end and they seem to refuse to get to the fireworks factory, but I'm going to take a stab at it and say that the reason the Phantom line will end is Savarna is going to go get Kit Jr. here. Savarna will tell him that his father died and he has to be the Phantom now, he'll give it a shot and fail miserably and die somehow, and with no other sons in the Walker family to take up the mantle, that's it for the Phantom.

This will I guess be averted because now that the Phantom knows he won't actually die due to reading Mozz's story, he won't tell Savarna about Kit Jr.

Binary Badger posted:

My hope is that Wilbur bursts in through the door, screams "I'M SAFE!" then all three strangle him and then go back to mourning sandwich boy

If he's already declared legally dead then you can't be charged with murder, they're completely in the clear! (IANAL)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Drakyn posted:

I can't believe Chako hadn't murdered and eaten the sun yet.
She was trying to make soup, and...

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

:ohdear:

quote:

She was trying to make soup, and...

ChaCha Chako

quote:

Night Visitors

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

make sure to use a rubber :dadjoke:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Comic Strips 2022: Hng!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Those bushes in the last panel are flipping us off

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

The end for Wilbur we deserve

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 15, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 15, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 26, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 28, 1936

Mopsy October 5, 1937

Up Front November 8, 1944

Dark Laughter September 30, 1950

So It Seems April 10, 1952

Those Were the Days June 12, 1958

Wee Pals April 19, 1966

Dogbert November 21, 1966

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter September 30, 1950

September 27, 1950: Ezzard Charles retained his World Heavyweight Championship against Joe Lewis

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Iiii don't know. She probably would have some words about him not being true to his current wife (whatever her name is. Not-Lisa).

I think it's Kayla

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 11, 1934)

Peanuts (January 29, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 28, 1938)

And now we have reached a turning point in the legend of Popeye, because this is the last daily strip signed by series creator Elzie Segar. His illnesses were gaining ground again, and he would succumb to a combination of leukemia and liver disease on October 13, 1938. So please take off your hat in memory of the master...

...and try not to be too horrified by the Popeye golem carrying him away.

This brings us to an interesting point of departure, because in both sets of Thimble Theater books that reprinted this story, the end of Segar's participation was the rather abrupt cutoff point.

As a tribute to a singular artist, it makes a certain type of sense to cut things off when he leaves the stage. But as someone who roots around in old newspaper scans for something I haven't seen before, I kind of want to see how this story ends. So obviously, I'm very interested in seeing how Comics Kingdom handles the permanent creative team transition.

Out Our Way (February 17-19, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (August 26-28, 1918)

Dok's "Suspiciously Rapid Recovery" Duck (December 15, 1913)

Little Lefty (December 30, 1935-January 1, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero): Now with violence! (August 3-5, 1931)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 29, 1975)

You have no idea how alone you are, Snoopy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tiff evolution as a character reflects the Evanses evolution as writers.

Pathetic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals April 19, 1966

I'm reminded of the whining about "common core math" that's been going on for a while when I read this (though I know that this strip talking about "the new math" has been going on for a few days). Anyway I'm not accusing Morrie of being against it, he's just making a joke, like I said I just got reminded of all the whining. Anyway a bit on topic, but I should link Tom Lehrer's excellent song about new math.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

It's nice to know even the birds didn't want to be around Les.

EasyEW posted:

This brings us to an interesting point of departure, because in both sets of Thimble Theater books that reprinted this story, the end of Segar's participation was the rather abrupt cutoff point.

As a tribute to a singular artist, it makes a certain type of sense to cut things off when he leaves the stage. But as someone who roots around in old newspaper scans for something I haven't seen before, I kind of want to see how this story ends. So obviously, I'm very interested in seeing how Comics Kingdom handles the permanent creative team transition.

I'm interested to check it out too. Thimble Theater has been a fun read, to see how it went from the adventures of Olive's brother to focusing almost exclusively on someone who was introduced as a side character, and maybe I'm alone on this but I feel like this story arc has just been dragging horribly. The stuff about the demons seems interesting, and Sweepea being a king is kind of funny, but it's mostly just turned into characters standing around saying "Oh things sure are bad!" "Yep they sure are!" and this rival king getting mad over raspberries. I'd like to see if whoever took over starts having things actually happen.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just peeked at tomorrow's Mary Worth and all I can say is gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EBB posted:

Just peeked at tomorrow's Mary Worth and all I can say is gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I swear to God That better be the Dog talking

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Do not adjust your television set.
Everything is correct.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard really needs to find another joke for its repertoire.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 27, 1953)

I think this is one of my favorite Peanuts strips based on that sad expression alone. :ohdear:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 19-20, 1990)

No Blind Alley today.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EBB posted:

No one can resist the lure of Mary Worth.

The Beastie Boys?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh no.

Carl!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

So having read the entire Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia tumblr, this is a common theme in many of the solutions. This is a classic example of "gave unnecessary information." If the guy had just said "I've been driving on route 102 all day," they would have had nothing on him. There was no need for him to add the part about driving south.

And it's obvious that this still isn't enough to arrest him just because he said he was driving south on an even numbered route, at least in the real world, but this is Idaville and nothing makes sense in this town. The cops are openly corrupt and will arrest anyone and everyone as long as a ten year old boy says they're guilty. He is their god king.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

They showed the map in one of the previous strips, the place was like two blocks from their house! How could it have been a forty minute round trip? And the answer can't be "because he was supposed to wait for Elizabeth and pick her up" because he headed back for home immediately after dropping her off.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

What are you doing, man?! That's Carl!

Looking forward to the future arc where Carl gets arrested for murdering Helen.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 26, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 26, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 26, 1990)

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

So having read the entire Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia tumblr, this is a common theme in many of the solutions. This is a classic example of "gave unnecessary information." If the guy had just said "I've been driving on route 102 all day," they would have had nothing on him. There was no need for him to add the part about driving south.

And it's obvious that this still isn't enough to arrest him just because he said he was driving south on an even numbered route, at least in the real world, but this is Idaville and nothing makes sense in this town. The cops are openly corrupt and will arrest anyone and everyone as long as a ten year old boy says they're guilty. He is their god king.

Speaking as a godless Yankee, Encylopedia Brown is just confirming my stereotypes about law enforcement in small-town Florida.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/26/02

Brenda Starr 1/19-21/48

Smokey Stover 11/4/45

Everyday Movies 10/13/34

"No, I put you on the spot. You couldn't have bumped me off -- you haven't got a gat."

Bonus Ad! Selling cigarettes with dwarf judo!

(Johnny Roventini was a real person -- although probably not judo-trained.)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (March 26, 1990)

First Chako destroys the sun, now this! :negative:

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Thanks for posting this recipe by the way. :yum: I couldn't find perilla leaves so I chopped up some mint just for the photo. I don't know if it was worth it since I'm not all that good at making food look nice anyway.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 26, 1949)

I love this kid's fantasy where he ages but Aleta doesn't. I also like that his character concept at this point is "Val from the beginning of the strip, but without the advantage of being the protagonist."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Medenmath posted:

I love this kid's fantasy where he ages but Aleta doesn't.

it's an extremely good detail to the daydream

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I am upset my today's Mary Worth as well. It better be a fakeout.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

it's an extremely good detail to the daydream

I was gonna say, that's actually kinda cute.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Friday: It's Wilbur!

Saturday: Oh crap it's Wilbur!

Sunday: Ritual disembowelment and sacrifice of Wilbur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

We don't see Wilbur in-frame yet because he's got a cyborg eye and a robot arm after defeating the nefarious mad scientist who had taken over the island with a mechanical fortress.