Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Dominions has battles as a whole other thing... that you have no control over whatsoever. You put your troops in formation, tell the commanders what to do if a battle happens... and hope they actually follow instructions. Timeskip ahead a month and hope they didn't blunder into a bloodhenge when you were hoping to fight monkey barbarians instead..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I definitely would not recommend dominions to someone looking to not get overly involved with the battles

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

In multiplayer, definitely. In single-player mode, though, you can go pretty far just moving big blobs of troops around. If you put a bit more work in, setting a scattered line of mages with copy-pasted orders behind a thick line of infantry can take care of all your micro management for the next 20-30 battles against regular indies and AI raiders.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Conquest of Elysium for the single player dominions with even less battle micro experience imo.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I got hooked on Slay The Spire so I'm gonna do that for a while. Looking forward to Old World on Steam quite a bit tho

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Theswarms posted:

Conquest of Elysium for the single player dominions with even less battle micro experience imo.

It's a lot of fun. You can attack and dethrone god if you figure out how to invade heaven! Just make sure to put several enemy AIs as dwarf queens, since they have an immobile commander in their home base. That way, you won't find the game suddenly ending when they accidentally drown all their leaders in the same turn.

A real plane-hopping dimensional conquest single player campaign can take a bunch of time, and I generally find it pretty decent fun all the way through.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFW5W3f0imM

Anybody still play Planetary Annihilation?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No but I'm always happy to find a good excuse to get back into it. Is the 1v1 ranked scene still bizarrely active?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The thing with Planetary Annihilation is it just makes me want to reinstall Supreme Commander.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is there a strategy game that combines historical city building with some degree of military gameplay? I知 thinking something where I build a city, in enough detail where I知 controlling the layout, making citizens happy, dealing with stuff like water supply and sewage, etc, but also running my tech and military progress so that I have an army that goes out and fights

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

blue squares posted:

Is there a strategy game that combines historical city building with some degree of military gameplay? I知 thinking something where I build a city, in enough detail where I知 controlling the layout, making citizens happy, dealing with stuff like water supply and sewage, etc, but also running my tech and military progress so that I have an army that goes out and fights

Sounds like the Anno series I think

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

blue squares posted:

Is there a strategy game that combines historical city building with some degree of military gameplay? I’m thinking something where I build a city, in enough detail where I’m controlling the layout, making citizens happy, dealing with stuff like water supply and sewage, etc, but also running my tech and military progress so that I have an army that goes out and fights

Northgard. Dawn of Man. The old Impressions games. RimWorld and the DF-likes.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blue squares posted:

Stronghold Crusader?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

blue squares posted:

Rise of Nations gets rather close to this, just a little heavier on the RTS side.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

TGG posted:

Rise of Nations gets rather close to this, just a little heavier on the RTS side.

Might as well throw Shadow Empire in at that point. IMO neither is a great fit.

Sounds like looking at that Zeus city builder or another of that line might work. The real winner would be the cartoony Greek City builder whose name I can't remember. Don't even think it is officially sold anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Grabbed supreme commander 2 for the steam sale. It's pretty good. Probably be a lot better once I figure out all the hotkeys and poo poo. Wish units moved a little faster on some of the big maps too

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

blue squares posted:

Glory of the Roman Empire, made by Haemimont Games, is a good fit. You build cool roman cities, fulfill the necesities of the citizens (water, food, health, religion, entertainment...), and recruit Republican Roman armies to defend your cities and slap barbarians.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

avoraciopoctules posted:

It's a lot of fun. You can attack and dethrone god if you figure out how to invade heaven! Just make sure to put several enemy AIs as dwarf queens, since they have an immobile commander in their home base. That way, you won't find the game suddenly ending when they accidentally drown all their leaders in the same turn.

A real plane-hopping dimensional conquest single player campaign can take a bunch of time, and I generally find it pretty decent fun all the way through.

The dev recommended way is put each ai in a 2 person team, so if one of their strongholds gets taken they aren't out immediately. Reduce AI difficulty to match their being 2 of each to your 1.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is phantom brigade good yet? It dropped on epic in ea around a year ago and I was waiting until it was more complete.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

blue squares posted:

I like this idea. Build your Motte and then start zoning areas around it for farms and towns ala sim city. Fight off raids, initially barbarians from the north but eventually neighboring realms with organized armies and maybe a grand threat like a big viking raid or invasion.

Meanwhile you need to build up your castle and surrounding industry by placing down walls and other improvements and recruit more men-at-arms and etc... Grow one of your towns to a walled city and place other fortresses down on your borders.

Would be pretty fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did they ever make a lords of the realm 3

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

You don't want to know the answer to this question.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes but it's really bad. There's an EA title on Steam called Rising Lords that's pretty much LOTR2 but with turn based/hex combat and a card system. It's a little janky but promising.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I have similar bad news about Godfather 3, Master of Orion 3, Star Control 3, Karate Kid 3...

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Any goons where who play Cepheus Protocol? I just bought it the other day. It has a lot of features that I want to explore, but man it is hard to get into. One big problem I'm having is that as soon as i touch down to make a base, civilians start flocking there. And inevitably one or more of them turn and I suddenly have a bunch of zombies tearing down my base in seconds. I litterally got wiped within the first 10 minutes because of this. I know about the civilian shelters that can be built, but it sucks using all my starting funds on those, and then have to spend all that time micromanaging the never ending flow of civvies...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chairface posted:

I have similar bad news about Godfather 3, Master of Orion 3, Star Control 3, Karate Kid 3...

I will not have Sensei Terry Silver besmirched in this thread without a reckoning!!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GyverMac posted:

Any goons where who play Cepheus Protocol? I just bought it the other day. It has a lot of features that I want to explore, but man it is hard to get into. One big problem I'm having is that as soon as i touch down to make a base, civilians start flocking there. And inevitably one or more of them turn and I suddenly have a bunch of zombies tearing down my base in seconds. I litterally got wiped within the first 10 minutes because of this. I know about the civilian shelters that can be built, but it sucks using all my starting funds on those, and then have to spend all that time micromanaging the never ending flow of civvies...

I like the idea behind a sort of real-time XCOM, but it looks kinda rough and I don't buy EA games in the first place. Hope it turns out good tho. I know there was a thread about it here but it's probably hit archives.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New RTS by Blackbird is available for playest, just go to the steam page and you should get access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072190/Crossfire_Legion/

It's...very Starcraft, way more so than I'd like.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mordja posted:

New RTS by Blackbird is available for playest, just go to the steam page and you should get access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072190/Crossfire_Legion/

My favorite part about this is that it isn't made by Blizzard. Wishlisted and will buy when it comes out of Early Access.

edit: Also, Iron Harvest >>> Deserts of Kharak.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Love Stole the Day posted:

wtf... insanely twisted

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

My favorite part about this is that it isn't made by Blizzard. Wishlisted and will buy when it comes out of Early Access.

I'm going to find you and kill you, irl.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

now that's savage, respect

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
All these RTS's are tearing us apart!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I don't trust the tagline "built for competitive play" anymore, honestly.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I haven't looked at this yet but I highly enjoyed Deserts of Kharak when it came out.

I just finished a replay of Homeworld: Cataclysm (now called Emergence), still a pretty good game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mordja posted:

I did not get access. I guess they are full up :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, guess I got lucky.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Klaus88 posted:

An indie game that claims this is almost certainly going into the trash bin given the odds of gathering a large enough multiplayer playerbase.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Klaus88 posted:

I'd be far more interested in a "not remotely built for competitive play" tag because it means fun will be had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

tithin posted:

I'd be far more interested in a "not remotely built for competitive play" tag because it means fun will be had

Word. Multiplayer balance is the bane of single-player. That's why I'm extremely wary of the Master of Magic remake. Extremely overpowered units/spells was a big part in what made the original so entertaining.