Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, snipping tool is still present. Maybe try reinstalling it from the Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fame Douglas posted:

No, snipping tool is still present. Maybe try reinstalling it from the Store.

I break out in hives when I see this instruction on a guide or whatever. Even though installing Win11 fixed my store issues, just knowing that it's possible for the store and everything it installed to break in a way that no amount of reinstalling the store or app will fix has made me feel less safe, in the same way as finding out about prion diseases or those worms that eat human eyeballs.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I break out in hives when I see this instruction on a guide or whatever. Even though installing Win11 fixed my store issues, just knowing that it's possible for the store and everything it installed to break in a way that no amount of reinstalling the store or app will fix has made me feel less safe, in the same way as finding out about prion diseases or those worms that eat human eyeballs.

I haven't had issues with the Store for a few years now, it was more common in the early days of Windows 10, but Christ the night, having to format and reinstall Windows to get rid of errors was such bollocks.

I thought the whole idea of the Store was that everything was sandboxed and nice and contained so nothing could muck up your entire system.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought the whole idea of the Store was that everything was sandboxed and nice and contained so nothing could muck up your entire system.

That's no longer true with Windows 11, because Microsoft couldn't get developers (including their own) to switch to UWP or even just put their Win32 applications into a container. Now, only some applications come in a container while others are just regular Windows installers that usually run silently in the background (Visual Studio Code, for example). Sometimes, they even display an install dialog.

They should probably integrate the Store into winget or the other way around at some point.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
UWP apps themselves are nice and sandboxed, but it was the Store / OS system for managing them that was the part that failed.

I think MS has mostly fixed it TBQH. At the very least, some time after 2019 they changed something so that the UWP parts of the OS itself (start menu, taskbar, modern settings) are more bulletproof. They don't seem to get caught in the same unable-to-launch fuckery that they used to.

I dunno, a year & a half ago my 10 install was in a state where my main user account couldn't update any apps, but it worked fine on a different account. Sometime last year that got healed somehow. Par for the course. The most frustrating thing about the UWP dumpster fire was that it was a complete mystery why it failed, and an equal mystery why it would start working again.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In November I set my mother up with a new computer with Windows 11 and of course it's managed to gently caress itself. I installed AnyDesk so I can remote in.

Yesterday she got some Edge tab that was one of those "Windows Defender says bad poo poo!" in disguise things. I got into the system, managed to close Edge, and it seemed to be gone.

I tried to open the Settings app to check for updates and....that doesn't work. Specifically, it launches, you can see the preview, but it won't show the window:

She claims this has been happening for a while with this and other apps so who know's what she's done here.

I ran a script to allegedly reinstall the system app but didn't make a difference.

Ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Right-click the window preview and click move, tap an arrow key, and then move the mouse. Does it come back?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or Windows + Shift + Arrow Keys or Windows + Arrow Keys

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
That was it?! WTF. I had her check her second monitor (which is configured for the left) and she didn't see anything there.

The right half was in the left hand side like the window window was stuck in a netherworld of displays?

Thanks for the help!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

im literally ready to build a fresh new PC soonish, is there a way to get this for free legit

asking for a friend :filez:

or maybe dont bother and just stick to Windows 10????

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

frajaq posted:

im literally ready to build a fresh new PC soonish, is there a way to get this for free legit

its free update for win10 owners

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

frajaq posted:

Get the ISO from microsoft and activate it against a public KMS. Nothing else needed.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

You can just use it unactivated, AFAIK all you're locked out of is changing wallpapers (easily).

Hmm, can also spend $5 for a Windows 7 key in SA-MART and use that to activate 10/11 Pro.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

and here I was overthinking things and looking at sketchy windows 10 versions on :filez: websites

thanks!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah definitely download it straight from Microsoft's site no matter what way you go about it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheesus posted:

In November I set my mother up with a new computer with Windows 11 and of course it's managed to gently caress itself. I installed AnyDesk so I can remote in.

Yesterday she got some Edge tab that was one of those "Windows Defender says bad poo poo!" in disguise things. I got into the system, managed to close Edge, and it seemed to be gone

Curious about this part. Back in the XP days, I had to make a trip to a mate's house every few months to unfuck the virus gangbang he'd managed to get onto his computer (I always just formatted and reinstalled instead of wasting literally days troubleshooting, although it took the better part of the evening into the early morning even at that).

This was even after SP3, having an antivirus installed (can't remember which one now) and making him and his family swear to use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

His usage was ostensibly the same as mine (according to him anyway), but I don't think I've had a virus or any other malware on any of my machines for 20 years at this point, whereas he or they managed to render it FUBAR with apparently little effort.

As time passed it happened less and less as Windows security became less problematic, antivirus was built-in and presumably he stopped using Kazaa and Morpheus to download firefox.exe. Since Windows 10 I've never heard him report a virus problem.

My curiosity is, how does the average person get a virus on their Windows machine these days? Viruses don't get shifted around in emails anymore, and getting movies etc. off file sharing programs isn't something I see the average person doing. I know that errant tab in Edge is probably just a website being a dick, but it just took me back down memory lane.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My senior mom almost got drat near taken in by one of those windows defender pushed pop-ups that say OMG BIG PROBLEMS a few months back.

She uses FF with uBlock. I think she said she was looking for a user manual for her snowblower or something.

Anyhow, she called and got as far letting them remote in and she got wise, turned her computer off and called me.

She normally wouldn't have been taken in as I've drilled safe browsing pretty hard into her, but her husband passed a couple months earlier and was pretty frazzled and not entirely with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've seen people google "stream the avengers" or whatever and just click any random thing that just may ask to install an addon or fake media player. I don't know if we're past the point that any malicious ad can just gently caress you up without interaction; that was a thing some time ago.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

frajaq posted:

and here I was overthinking things and looking at sketchy windows 10 versions on :filez: websites

thanks!

Don't do that. The Windows 10 and 11 ISOs are free directly from Microsoft. Use it without activating or later buy a key on the cheap.

You can type in a windows 7 key and it may work.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't know if we're past the point that any malicious ad can just gently caress you up without interaction; that was a thing some time ago.

The big time for malware via ads was when all ads were Flash, because Flash was so riddled with security holes that anyone could break it.

They definitely still could though. For example, nothing would have stopped this exploit from being put in an ad rather than a fake amnesty international site targeting chinese dissidents.

But that's the real answer to "why aren't regular joes getting viruses all the time": there's a profit motive. Your old-school virus or email worm was all about impact and havok, programmed for kicks by a bored young nerd. Today, if you happen to discover a security flaw that could be used to deliver drive-by malware, you can report it to Apple or MS for a bounty. Or you can sell it to the Chinese or Israelis for a lot of money. Either way, the results aren't hitting random browsers who load a malicious ad, they're targeted attacks.

Now pretty much everyone is trying to make money, so the malware that goes wide is either crypto ransomware or trojans that zombify your PC for multi-purpose botnets. Zombie malware tries to stay hidden. So an infected PC could be mining crypto, generating fake ad clicks, and ddosing a website all at the same time, and the average user would just say "my PC seems slow".

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Google is the real enemy today. The average joe googles whatever and the first half dozen results are all trash that will send you directly to the aforementioned "Windows defender" popup scam that I dont even want to think about how many people are on the phone with right this very instant. Its not just google of course, whether its bing or yahoo its really no different. The other big one these days is DriverUpdater or what have you, of course always complete horse poo poo but thats the kind of thing you'll find on 90% of infected home computers that come across your bench. Jesus, the guys at work had to order this USB-RS232 adapter, the website was of no help for drivers so they went and downloaded virusdriver installer.exe, thankfully I was able to stop that before any damage was done.

I'd say most is administered by email today. We get some really targeted poo poo, including an email one user got a few weeks back that looked more legit than the usual scam message, and the attached word doc wanted us to allow macros that were basically just ticking time bombs.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Good insights, thanks goons. I suppose humans are the weakest link here, as is always the case. Best put everyone onto Linux, where no average Joe can install she'et!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
What's a good way of figuring out whether all of those System, Recovery, Primary, and Unallocated partitions are actually still being used or something I forgot to wipe when I repurposed the drives?

I'm assuming that "Unallocated" is what Windows calls SSDs overprovisioning partitions since they appear for both of my SSDs but on none of the HDDs?

Also, what's a good way to wipe a full volume (not just partition) do a zero-write at the same time? I read Windows supports drive-letter zero-writes through format g: /fs:NTFS /p:0, but I wanna make sure I nuke all partitions while I'm at it. Is that what "/p:0" also does here?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

What's a good way of figuring out whether all of those System, Recovery, Primary, and Unallocated partitions are actually still being used or something I forgot to wipe when I repurposed the drives?

I'm assuming that "Unallocated" is what Windows calls SSDs overprovisioning partitions since they appear for both of my SSDs but on none of the HDDs?

Also, what's a good way to wipe a full volume (not just partition) do a zero-write at the same time? I read Windows supports drive-letter zero-writes through format g: /fs:NTFS /p:0, but I wanna make sure I nuke all partitions while I'm at it. Is that what "/p:0" also does here?

No, overprovisioning is internal to the SSD, you shouldn't have "unallocated" areas at all. Currently, on a fresh UEFI install, Windows creates three partitions: A 100 MB EFI partition, a 565 MB Recovery partition and a data partition filling the rest of the space.

Absolutely never write zeroes to your drive. If you want to delete everything securely, do a ATA Secure Erase from a Linux live USB stick like Parted Magic (or from the Bios, many do have the functionality built-in). Alternatively, run
diskpart
list disk
select disk #
clean
from a command prompt (or in the Windows installer) to get rid of everything if you aren't worried about someone being able to recover deleted data.

During fresh install, just select the unallocated space and click "next", Windows will create all necessary partitions for you.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 29, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
The zero-writing is because I've got a mechanical HDD failing, apparently when it reads the same file. So it's basically either trying to fix it with zero-writing or tossing it.

It works alright aside from that one thing, but it probably happened as a result of a dropped computer(!), so I'm just trying to find some way to handle the "Current Pending Sector Count" at 100 issue.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

The zero-writing is because I've got a mechanical HDD failing, apparently when it reads the same file. So it's basically either trying to fix it with zero-writing or tossing it.

It works alright aside from that one thing, but it probably happened as a result of a dropped computer(!), so I'm just trying to find some way to handle the "Current Pending Sector Count" at 100 issue.

Yeah that's a useful situation for a zero-write. Still wouldn't use that drive for anything but sneakernet though, even if the format clears those errors.

As Fame says, overprovisioned space on SSDs is invisible. If you have unallocated space on SSDs, my guess is that you formatted them short when you got them. Either because you'd read that it was good to do that, or possibly used a drive manufacturer program (some of which will offer to reserve drive space).

Formatting SSDs with extra unallocated space isn't a terrible idea, as SSDs don't like being completely full. But TBQH it's not as big a deal anymore because big modern drives have more over-provisioned space. It was a much bigger deal in the days of 120 or 256GB SSDs. Today I'd call it optional -- still maybe a good idea to short a smaller drive, or when setting up a PC for someone you know to be bad at filling up their drive with stuff and not cleaning up old junk.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
They're both Samsung: does Samsung have a tendency to overprovision in a weird proprietary way that messes with Windows? And is there a native non-vendor way to overprovision? I guess I can at least clear the firmware overprovisioning to reclaim some space while still having some non-allocated space that acts as OP.

Another EDIT: Looks like it's a combination. One drive was previously overprovisioned, and since it acted as the system drive, maybe I screwed up by not clearing Samsung's OP prior to formatting, who knows, all kinds of mess happens with formatting I guess. My current system drive's "Unallocated" space is reclaimable, so there's that. Is 10% still the way to go, regardless of storage size?

And yeah, the HDD is just some random storage drive that's already been well backed up. It's literally a "might as well" drive I thought ought as well go into the computer instead of a drawer.

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 29, 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get the point of artificially blocking off space, the only thing that does is serve as a potential inconvenience. Just don't fill the drive 100%

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 30, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't get the point of artificially blocking off space, the only thing that does is serve as a potential inconvenience. Just don't fill the drive 100%

You forgot to add the "bing bong, so simple!"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

They're both Samsung: does Samsung have a tendency to overprovision in a weird proprietary way that messes with Windows? And is there a native non-vendor way to overprovision? I guess I can at least clear the firmware overprovisioning to reclaim some space while still having some non-allocated space that acts as OP.

If you're seeing extra space in windows drive that is unallocated, that is not overprovisioning. Overprovisioning is 100% invisible. The SSD has extra space internally that you can never see with ordinary tools. All you are seeing is a short format with extra space left on the drive. It doesn't mess with windows in any way -- the extra space is just extra space.

Drives out of the box have no formatting at all, they're completely blank and uninitialized. If you used the Samsung Magician software to initialize the drive IIRC it will offer to leave extra space.

You can also do the exact same thing in Windows Disk Management (or the installer when installing to a blank disk) by just using a smaller number than the default when it asks what size to make your partition. Same results, has nothing to do with drive firmware.

quote:

Is 10% still the way to go, regardless of storage size?

Nah, 10% is probably more than is necessary on a big drive. I wouldn't bother with more than 20-50GB, even on a 1 or 2TB SSD. How much the reserved space is needed or useful depends on how heavy the writes are when the drive is near-full. For most people, who aren't doing frequent heavy writes and instead might uninstall one video game and then download a new game, that's not particularly hard on the drive.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You forgot to add the "bing bong, so simple!"

I mean, it is. When you don't need the space, you've essentially overprovisioned. But when you do need the space, artificially reducing partition size means you have a problem.

Overprovisioning manually is an entirely pointless exercise. Don't do it, don't recommend it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

I mean, it is. When you don't need the space, you've essentially overprovisioned. But when you do need the space, artificially reducing partition size means you have a problem.

Overprovisioning manually is an entirely pointless exercise. Don't do it, don't recommend it.

Aside from being overzealous about SSD free space, there are other reasons to leave unformatted space on a drive. I've done it as a safety in case I need to grow or move partitions after the fact, and also from having lost track of the amount of storage I had left only to run into things like Windows refusing to update because a big enough percentage of the drive wasn't free. If I left a little headroom unformatted it's trivial to grow the partition to a larger size and accomplish what I was trying to do and janitor the drive later.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aside from being overzealous about SSD free space, there are other reasons to leave unformatted space on a drive. I've done it as a safety in case I need to grow or move partitions after the fact, and also from having lost track of the amount of storage I had left only to run into things like Windows refusing to update because a big enough percentage of the drive wasn't free. If I left a little headroom unformatted it's trivial to grow the partition to a larger size and accomplish what I was trying to do and janitor the drive later.

So basically, there's no reasonable use case. Just as useful as double-spacing.

I'm over here, growing and moving my system partitions. Which I need to do with regularity, apparently??

If you fill your drive so much you can't run Windows update, getting a bigger SSD or secondary drive is the reasonable solution. A lowered partition size just means you can store less, which is likely to be more of an issue. Also, Windows already reserves enough space to be able to run Windows Update (7 GB, called "reserve storage"), this is not a scenario with Windows 11.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 30, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

So basically, there's no reasonable use case. Just as useful as double-spacing.

I'm over here, growing and moving my system partitions. Which I need to do with regularity, apparently??

If you fill your drive so much you can't run Windows update, getting a bigger SSD or secondary drive is the reasonable solution. A lowered partition size just means you can store less, which is likely to be more of an issue. Also, Windows already reserves enough space to be able to run Windows Update (7 GB, called "reserve storage"), this is not a scenario with Windows 11.

So you're back at the "bing bong, so simple!" level of argument. If you feel really attached to making sure 100% of a drive is formatted then go right ahead. Insisting there is no possible reason for doing otherwise is weirdly absolute and defensive.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

No, overprovisioning is internal to the SSD, you shouldn't have "unallocated" areas at all. Currently, on a fresh UEFI install, Windows creates three partitions: A 100 MB EFI partition, a 565 MB Recovery partition and a data partition filling the rest of the space.

Absolutely never write zeroes to your drive. If you want to delete everything securely, do a ATA Secure Erase from a Linux live USB stick like Parted Magic (or from the Bios, many do have the functionality built-in).

Why should one "never write zeroes" to a SSD or NVME drive? Is there something special with them? No, it's not "secure", as in NSA can't find out the files, but it's easy to just wipe a partition table writing a few MB of zeroes to a drive and then start from scratch. I've never heard of anyone recovering a partition that has been wiped with dd.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

Why should one "never write zeroes" to a SSD or NVME drive? Is there something special with them? No, it's not "secure", as in NSA can't find out the files, but it's easy to just wipe a partition table writing a few MB of zeroes to a drive and then start from scratch. I've never heard of anyone recovering a partition that has been wiped with dd.

You can definitely recover files from a SSD if all you've done is just overwritten the partition table. If you don't execute a full TRIM after you wipe the partition table, you can recover with normal software. And even after that it's data recovery lab tech, not NSA tech. I don't think it's a huge deal since most people aren't gonna send your drive to a data recovery service, but still it's not reliable.

But the main reason you shouldn't write zeros across a SSD is that it's dumb and pointless. You aren't wiping the drive in a secure manner because writes aren't uniform on a SSD, and you are wasting drive endurance for no reason. And while yeah drive endurance isn't really a thing for most people, a full drive write is kinda significant on QLC drives since most of their endurance is from SLC writes.

If you care about a secure erase because you're gonna sell the drive, running a ATA Secure erase is no harder than dd'ing the drive. On SSDs it's generally near-instant, and it's probably better for the drive. If you don't care about security, just reinitialize it the easy way.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Always run your SSDs encrypted if possible. Macs do this even if you don’t have a FV key set, I believe, making a “secure wipe” as easy as smoking the key. Way less thinking/worrying.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

AlternateAccount posted:

Always run your SSDs encrypted if possible. Macs do this even if you don’t have a FV key set, I believe, making a “secure wipe” as easy as smoking the key. Way less thinking/worrying.
Does this work for BitLocker, too? I still don't know what happens with BitLocker if you reformat Windows tbh.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlternateAccount posted:

Pretty mush all SSDs are self-encrypting drives, that are always "encrypted" but with no access key. ATA Secure wipe on most SSDs is throwing away the decryption key, some of them also do stuff to the flash at the same time.

Self-encrypting HDDs are not rare, but harder to pin down because the companies often don't specifically advertise the feature. Seems like for some reason encryption export controls apply to HDDs and not SSDs?

kliras posted:

Does this work for BitLocker, too? I still don't know what happens with BitLocker if you reformat Windows tbh.

Bitlocker currently does not use the built-in encryption of drives, because it's not guaranteed to be secure enough. There's a history of drive manufacturers loving up completely and either not protecting the key, or including a "helpful" master key that could solve the forgotten password problem. Security researchers have demonstrated that on some drives you can extract the key from the drive's controller chip. So bitlocker just avoids that mess.

Bitlocker can store keys in a TPM module. So your theoretical "fast wipe" when the Stasi are pounding on the door would be to reboot to bios and clear the TPM. If you did that, and had no recovery key or backups anywhere, the data would be encrypted forever. When the key is stored in the TPM, your password is just the access for the TPM. So you can tell the Stasi your password and it's useless.

However Bitlocker can work in multiple ways and you would need to read docs and know what you're doing before relying on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kliras posted:

I didn’t know about most drives being self encrypting. Cool stuff.

I don’t know why, but BL has always felt shoddy and compromised to me. But yeah, key in the TPM and no where else(and you didn’t print/save a recovery key somewhere, especially to your MS account which is what I think it encourages now) means smoking the TPM should do it.