Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think HIMYM was at all shy about calling Ted out as a selfish douchebag. It’s the butt of a bunch of jokes and focus of a number of plot lines. But ultimately the show always comes back to his romantic journey so it’s never gonna just write him off or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pennyworth : London :: Gothan : New York City.

Pennyworth's channeling British comics influences, particularly Luther Archwright. It's got a lot of Bond, a lot of Michael Kane films (particularly, and obviously, 'Alfie'), the Omen, villains patterned after Nyder and Davros from 70's Doctor Who, Jack the Ripper mythos, Vietnam War films, Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy....

It's great stuff, really good and fun. It treats the UK like a version of cold war Cuba, the devil turns up. It's great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, you've sold me.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pennyworth : London :: Gothan : New York City.

Pennyworth's channeling British comics influences, particularly Luther Archwright. It's got a lot of Bond, a lot of Michael Kane films (particularly, and obviously, 'Alfie'), the Omen, villains patterned after Nyder and Davros from 70's Doctor Who, Jack the Ripper mythos, Vietnam War films, Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy....

It's great stuff, really good and fun. It treats the UK like a version of cold war Cuba, the devil turns up. It's great.

I had zero interest until this post. I might have to queue it up after I finish the Leftover and Beforeigners.

So finished season 1 of the Leftovers and that was really good. That last episode hit me like a gut punch. No idea why this show hits me so hard sometimes other than real life bs. Up to Season 2 ep 3 and still good. Like the turn this show did and didn't even get as mad at "Where is my Mind?" like I remember TVIV goons did back in the day. Glad I'm giving this show a proper binge.

Not to get too personal but the weirdest thing about watching this is I have been getting more sympathetic with religious types just chilling and binging. Real life made em deal with some loss recently on top of experiencing religious kooks and I have been fighting impatience, frustration and and outright anger over people sticking their heads in the sand or doing terrible things to others due to some some delusion about some skygod that makes everything magically better. Really driven me nuts and I try to be patient and allow people to do and believe as they will but lately I have come to a place where I just want to scream. No idea why but watching this show alleviated some of my frustration and brought back some of that understanding of why some people need this. Helping me understand we are all dealing with various levels of loss and pain. I guess that's a good and unexpected benefit from watching a well made show.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Pennyworth is genuinely great and stacked with a quality cast. Also has insane production values for something that originally aired on Epix, a channel that maybe 2% of the population is aware of. Hopefully the move to HBOMax means a 3rd season's in the cards.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Laterite posted:

Pennyworth is genuinely great and stacked with a quality cast. Also has insane production values for something that originally aired on Epix, a channel that maybe 2% of the population is aware of. Hopefully the move to HBOMax means a 3rd season's in the cards.

They already greenlit a third season when they announced the move.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

They already greenlit a third season when they announced the move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, how bad is it

that the best episode of Book of the Boba Fett so far doesn't have the title character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It really does suck though. Like inexplicable plot and barely justified show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhyno posted:

Man, how bad is it

that the best episode of Book of the Boba Fett so far doesn't have the title character.
The Mandalorian really is the superior show. This episode just made it even clearer that The Book of Boba Fett sucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pennyworth is really weird in that it's giving a backstory to a character that explains why he's a low key badass by the time Batman is around while at the same time creating a world that doesn't seem like Batman (at least any of the mainstream incarnations) would fit into.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mando is better but I like Boba Fett a lot, it's just got good vibes and weird hijinx and doesn't care about plot and that is something I appreciate from a Star Wars thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What are the good vibes though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Man, how bad is it

Lmao it’s loving hilarious how Mando just loving around and dealing with airport security is way more interesting or entertaining than anything else that’s happened in the show so far

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

What are the good vibes though.

Hanging out with tuskens. Cyber teens. Wookiees hating trandoshans. Max Rebo. Rancor training. Crimelord fuckery. Lizard snorting. Cyborgification. The best droids we've ever seen. Etc.

It's basically coffee table book of Star Wars poo poo That I Think Is Cool, but I mean you clearly don't like the show so why would it matter what I say

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I like plot with my vibes, you know for there to be a story being told.

Escobarbarian posted:

Lmao it’s loving hilarious how Mando just loving around and dealing with airport security is way more interesting or entertaining than anything else that’s happened in the show so far

It sounds like a joke but the one mandalorian episode squished in there is really all what we've asked for.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've had enough Star Wars plots to last me a lifetime, I don't really give a poo poo if this is going anywhere.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Only vibes I got from Boba Fett were Kirk vs. Gorn vibes during the majority of action sequences.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hakkesshu posted:

Mando is better but I like Boba Fett a lot, it's just got good vibes and weird hijinx and doesn't care about plot and that is something I appreciate from a Star Wars thing.

I don't think it can figure out the proper tone. Like Boba's 'growth' is being treated all serious while the next moment we have a motorcycle (speeder, whatever) chase that feels like it would be right at home in the prequel trilogy for how goofy it is. Like, I feel like they should have just gone for it fully and had two guys carrying a pane of glass across the street that you think everyone missed and then one guy slips and drops it.

It almost feels like there are two different shows going on here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was funny that this episode had a legit strong sense of speed given how slow that chase in episode 3 felt

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Man, how bad is it

It's amazing what happens when the main character has motivation and goals. Also isn't a big dummy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bull3964 posted:

I don't think it can figure out the proper tone. Like Boba's 'growth' is being treated all serious while the next moment we have a motorcycle (speeder, whatever) chase that feels like it would be right at home in the prequel trilogy for how goofy it is. Like, I feel like they should have just gone for it fully and had two guys carrying a pane of glass across the street that you think everyone missed and then one guy slips and drops it.

It almost feels like there are two different shows going on here.

Make it some holo-glass bullshit and maybe throw in a bunch of stands of space-fruit getting knocked over, and I'd be pretty down with this.

Bonus points if Boba pulls at the collar of his armor and goes, "Ennnhh!" nebbishly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It was funny that this episode had a legit strong sense of speed given how slow that chase in episode 3 felt

Bryce Dallas Howard seems to be a hell of a director.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just started Mando (4 episodes in) and I don't understand what planets it's taking place on. Is it like .... multiple Tatooines?

The one where the Imperial guy who hires him to pick up the baby and his stormtroopers (and his Mandalorian hideout) are is clearly Tatooine, but then he flies off to a completely different Tatooine to get the baby and fight the Jawas on their desert crawler thing.

What?

Or do all desert planets just have the same inhabitants and Jawas and those muttering scanner things on sticks that poke out next to the door for C3PO to go "goodness gracious me" at?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Planets are big, maybe he just flew to a different area of Tattooine? I don’t remember exactly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard seems to be a hell of a director.

Maybe it's genetic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Escobarbarian posted:

Planets are big, maybe he just flew to a different area of Tattooine? I don’t remember exactly

It definitely showed him hyperspacing between planets, i.e. to get back to the planet where the imperial guy was. That was the shot that made me go "wait wtf is going on"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Navarro is a volcanic planet with black sand, it doesn't look anything like Tatooine.

e: OK, I will rephrase that, they look similar in some ways but I think it's distinctive enough to not be confusing.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 26, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh. My mistake I guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm sorry but why does Batman even have a butler to need to have that butler be a secret superhero in their own right? Just live in a smaller house and clean up after your drat self, geez.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He gets his quests from Navarro. He goes to some desert planet to get baby Yoda (which also has Jawas lol). He also goes to Tatooine later. It's a small galaxy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wait why is boba fett loving with red hot chili peppers? always pegged him for a mike patton stan

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
To be clear, Mando goes from Navarro to Arvala-7 to find the Child. Arvala-7 is a desert planet, so I can see someone mistaking it for the other desert planet where most of the important stuff in the galaxy seems to take place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kyle MacLachlan: Dune....Arrakkis....Desert Planet

SW Guy: which one dude

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s also the desert planet in TFA

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

To be clear, Mando goes from Navarro to Arvala-7 to find the Child. Arvala-7 is a desert planet, so I can see someone mistaking it for the other desert planet where most of the important stuff in the galaxy seems to take place.

I mean to me Jawas + Jawa desert crawler + moisture farmers or whatever they are = Tatooine, like what, are Jawas a galaxywide spacefaring people taking their giant crawlers everywhere they go?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah but those Jawas have red eyes and the other Jawas have yellow eyes!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat the find a show thread is a dead thread. Y'all got an Ozark thread here?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I don’t think people here really like it enough (because it’s not very good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Boba is terrible, worse than Hawkeye and that's saying something.