Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It would work, but travel time for pulling a trigger vs pressing a button that your finger is laying on is a bit different. It might get awkward for fast paced stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

butt dickus posted:

i've never played a rhythm game but wouldn't the bumpers be easier to use if there's only two inputs?

maybe for some people but i improved a lot when i switched from face buttons + bumpers, to just face buttons

taiko really has four inputs, left/right don, and left/right kat, and even though there's no distinction between left and right in the game, the charts are set up in a way where you really have to get good at doing patterns with alternating hands, just like if you were drumming

it's one of those things that's probably easier to understand by experience than by explanation

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Bumper buttons worked for Rock Band Blitz.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm glad Game Pass is getting smaller Japanese titles on the Xbox.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also my favorite random-rear end thing about Taiko is that the song that's been voted as like the fan-favorite since the first game and has been in basically every release is this bubblegum-rear end pop song that was also written by Keiichi Okabe, AKA the composer for Drakengard and Nier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP9A90MdZRc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which is the better version of Republic Commando, the original Xbox version on Series or the remaster they did last year?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

remaster didn’t come out on Xbox afaik. The remaster has widescreen/60fps, not sure if the Xbox version has widescreen with back compat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Go for the remaster.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which is the better version of Republic Commando, the original Xbox version on Series or the remaster they did last year?

The remaster is "better" graphically because it's pretty crisp and runs smooth, but it's the exact same game which feels pretty worn out compared to modern games. I still think it's fun tho and that it's worth playing the remastered version.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i'm playing b-tier FPS "The Darkness" on backwards compat and i forgot how distinctive and cool this game was. i think everyone remembers the bit where you can watch To Kill a Mockingbird on the TV with your girlfriend and the entire movie is actually in the game, so you can watch the whole thing if you want

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s fun but super super repetitive, I played about four or five hours and stopped, felt like I’d seen all there was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i'm playing b-tier FPS "The Darkness" on backwards compat and i forgot how distinctive and cool this game was. i think everyone remembers the bit where you can watch To Kill a Mockingbird on the TV with your girlfriend and the entire movie is actually in the game, so you can watch the whole thing if you want

It’s a brilliant game. Those dudes made excellent fps experiences that nobody else really emulated. The Riddick games not getting the back compatibility treatment was tragic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

teagone posted:

Unrelated, but what happened to your Alita avatar :(

skipmyseashells posted:

funko pop thanos killed her

I was promoted :grin:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, I'll probably get the remaster on PS5 then. I assume it's the same case for KOTOR?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Darkness is a baller game! The sequel is also really good.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, I'll probably get the remaster on PS5 then. I assume it's the same case for KOTOR?

KOTOR is a horrendous game to play.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Man With The Golden Arm is also watchable within the game. Great movie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s a brilliant game. Those dudes made excellent fps experiences that nobody else really emulated. The Riddick games not getting the back compatibility treatment was tragic.

i forgot the loading screens where the main character would sometimes just monologue about totally unrelated things, the game was so good at nailing that cheesy fun NYC mob movie talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4zcRwvr0Vg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think KOTOR remaster only came out on Switch actually. The PS5 is getting a full remake at some point. I got the original for Series X and it looks/plays great if you like the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I actually finished the second Riddick game just late last year, it was way better than I remembered it. You could really feel the influence it had on the Wolfenstein reboot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there was something about Butcher Bay and The Darkness which mad them feel so distinctive from other FPSes, even stuff like how you'd press your gun against the wall if you walked against it while your gun was drawn. there was just like a physicality to your character that you don't see much in FPS games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, I loved that game, real gritty and disgusting with a heart of gold.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Anyone else playing extraction? It's pretty fun but really hard, definitely need a group.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'm not sure how I was expecting Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice to end, but:

https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1423668285837504514?lang=en

certainly wasn't it.

Sucks to be a mentally ill woman in medieval times. Sure, your dad blamed all the ills of the village on your similarly afflicted mother, murdered her once she got tired of his abuse to placate the gods and was gearing up to do the same to you. But hey, check this out: this one village boy isn't a misogynistic poo poo and wants to build a life with you!

Time for some touching teenage lov...oops, he got blood eagled by vikings when they destroyed your whole village. Life is awful and everyone dies someday, battle your grief metaphorically *roll credits*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I wish the guys from Starbreeze who founded Machine Games would get back to making fun to play shooters. I really liked the storytelling and feel of Wolfenstein 2 but it's a chore to actually play.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m playing Darkness 1 right now and it’s so cool. There was some really interesting FPS games out that gen like Darkness, Condemned and Riddick that put much more emphasis on animation when you attack enemies than most stuff you see now. Killzone 2/3 on PS3 also did similar great stuff. The closest I can think of recently is stuff like Resi7/8.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I wish the guys from Starbreeze who founded Machine Games would get back to making fun to play shooters. I really liked the storytelling and feel of Wolfenstein 2 but it's a chore to actually play.

meanwhile Starbreeze itself is dead in the water, a cruel fate

edit; lol, starbreeze still owns studio rights to grin (disbanded) who made the awesome bionic commando 09 and were punished by god for it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Darkness is a surprising case where the video game is far better than the comic book source material.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

I hate the level design so much in 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I hate the level design so much in 2

It’s really bad. The open world side stuff also drags the plot so much, like why would BJ be doing any of it. Then the ending feels like such a wet fart. One of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever played, TNO was so so good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Darkness is a surprising case where the video game is far better than the comic book source material.

Just like Spawn for the SNES!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

bushisms.txt posted:

Anyone else playing extraction? It's pretty fun but really hard, definitely need a group.

Yeah I never got into Siege but I'm really liking Extraction. Almost bounced off it because the first hour or two is tough when you don't know what you're doing and all your ops are level 1 but now that I have leveled up some it's fun to hop into. Pubbie groups are mostly fine at the low/mid levels but I'd imagine that runs out quick in the hard content. It works decent solo too but a good group can be a lot of fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It’s really bad. The open world side stuff also drags the plot so much, like why would BJ be doing any of it. Then the ending feels like such a wet fart. One of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever played, TNO was so so good.

Press r3 to win game cause losers complained about the boss of the first game being hard

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the Wolfenstein games (TNO, TOB, Shadow of colossus) all handle loving terribly which wouldnt be such a problem if the stealth elements of the games werent so god drat hard.

I really liked The New Order but now that im up to the open world part of Colossus I gave up on it.

its a shame cos the art direction and the universe is really fun, its just really annoying to actually play.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe for some people but i improved a lot when i switched from face buttons + bumpers, to just face buttons

taiko really has four inputs, left/right don, and left/right kat, and even though there's no distinction between left and right in the game, the charts are set up in a way where you really have to get good at doing patterns with alternating hands, just like if you were drumming

it's one of those things that's probably easier to understand by experience than by explanation

Good call! I was planning on using the bumpers for rimshots, but I think I can see what you're saying in favor of just using face buttons for everything. Seems easier to keep a stable rhythm going when alternating on just the face buttons, especially for the myriad drumrolls in this game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also my favorite random-rear end thing about Taiko is that the song that's been voted as like the fan-favorite since the first game and has been in basically every release is this bubblegum-rear end pop song that was also written by Keiichi Okabe, AKA the composer for Drakengard and Nier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP9A90MdZRc
IIRC the main illustrator on the Taiko series is married to Yoko Taro and has done art of and for his games in the same style. The connections between Fun Drum Game and Messed Up Bullet Hell RPGs run unexpectedly deep.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 27, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Drum game is out.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

American McGay posted:

Drum game is out.

Just tried, looks like nobody can get past the title screen yet, atleast on PC

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm playing it just fine (on Xbox).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm just playing hare hare yukai over and over send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Akuma posted:

Edit: March 29th! Sorry for not making that clear.

Hell yeah, really looking forward to this one. I'd play it on pc but my pc can't hack it anymore so I'm glad more strategy games are coming out for consoles.