Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mastershakeman posted:

yep. at least for northern aegis i changed stuff up and scouted with the f750 chained + acteon , i was getting really bored of just the same trucks over and over. i think i have 4 zikzs (one with seismic detector) and 3 7s in aegis
pretty sure there's no other way to complete most of amur without a 605+az7.

anyways i'm about close to dropping a 100% bow on Wisconsin. fun area. except a few of the logging missions could get hosed (mostly the House to the South). i liked the insane alien guy quests. now i gotta decide if i want to jump back to Alaska (which i didnt touch much in this save) or go to Yukon. i'm kinda sick of snow but also i don't think i have many non-snow levels left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Gold mine reinvigorated :black101: (And yes, in line with the tip someone posted earlier, I absolutely will be staging the spare cabins somewhere convenient, for a future contract that needs them).

Lessons learned for me? I need to get over my habit of prioritising flatbed-hauling over trailer-hauling (at the least, without proper consideration). Things got a *lot* quicker once I tossed the KOLOB + 4u-trailer into the mix.

That said, for all that the contract payout was high relative to most other contracts that I've done so far, it felt like a *pittance* relative to the amount of bloody effort it took :v:

Edit: Also, I quite enjoyed tooling around with the forklift.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 26, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anybody use the International 5600? Just found out it can have a crane+3 slot bed+trailer and am wondering if that can be leveraged into something to offset its dreadful fuel consumption. Never used it as more than a truck to park somewhere with its huge gas addon since I've got other go-tos for versatility or sheer length

magimix posted:

Gold mine reinvigorated :black101: (And yes, in line with the tip someone posted earlier, I absolutely will be staging the spare cabins somewhere convenient, for a future contract that needs them).

Lessons learned for me? I need to get over my habit of prioritising flatbed-hauling over trailer-hauling (at the least, without proper consideration). Things got a *lot* quicker once I tossed the KOLOB + 4u-trailer into the mix.

That said, for all that the contract payout was high relative to most other contracts that I've done so far, it felt like a *pittance* relative to the amount of bloody effort it took :v:

Edit: Also, I quite enjoyed tooling around with the forklift.

It's really a game where you set your own house rules, so if you enjoy flatbed hauling and the lack of efficiency doesn't bother you, keep it up! Maybe just keep this in your back pocket for huge deliveries

That said, a good truck+semi or two in a convoy is the gold standard for a reason, they really aren't that bad at all to offroad with and are way more stable and easy to back up with than a trailer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Epic High Five posted:

Anybody use the International 5600? Just found out it can have a crane+3 slot bed+trailer and am wondering if that can be leveraged into something to offset its dreadful fuel consumption. Never used it as more than a truck to park somewhere with its huge gas addon since I've got other go-tos for versatility or sheer length

I used it in Wisconsin a bunch. Carried 6u through the cacky ok-ish but trying to do that plus a trailer was effectively a non-starter (I probably could have made it, but not faster than just getting another truck)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally at the point in Maine where seemingly all the roads I need are cleared up, and actually got some progress on the first sawmill contract :toot: All that's left is four cabins, which looks like fun

4x one cargo container and two planks... think it's finally time to buy a duplicate Twinsteer (I've been trying to avoid buying duplicate trucks) so i can do 2 trips insteada 4

Also the way Generators at crafting areas turn off when you reload the game absolutely sucks, especially when I only find out after hauling a shedload of cement up there in a trailer-incompatible truck :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2022

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

It's really a game where you set your own house rules, so if you enjoy flatbed hauling and the lack of efficiency doesn't bother you, keep it up! Maybe just keep this in your back pocket for huge deliveries

That said, a good truck+semi or two in a convoy is the gold standard for a reason, they really aren't that bad at all to offroad with and are way more stable and easy to back up with than a trailer

I think part of the calculus was that while I *do* like the 'nimbleness' of a 2u flatbed + 2u-trailer for 4u hauling, in Yukon at least, I felt I needed just a bit more grunt. I found my vehicles getting bogged down when doing a 4u-haul, whereas the 2u haul was slow, but at least steady. So more pulling power needed - and that kicked things up to the heavy class, at which point (correct me if I'm wrong), its all trailer-towing.

But to be sure, I might well also just need to check out some of the vehicles I've not yet used. I've done an okay job of not using the same vehicles all the time, but there are still *plenty* I've not tried yet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

magimix posted:

I think part of the calculus was that while I *do* like the 'nimbleness' of a 2u flatbed + 2u-trailer for 4u hauling, in Yukon at least, I felt I needed just a bit more grunt. I found my vehicles getting bogged down when doing a 4u-haul, whereas the 2u haul was slow, but at least steady. So more pulling power needed - and that kicked things up to the heavy class, at which point (correct me if I'm wrong), its all trailer-towing.

But to be sure, I might well also just need to check out some of the vehicles I've not yet used. I've done an okay job of not using the same vehicles all the time, but there are still *plenty* I've not tried yet.

Heavies are mostly pretty limited yeah, but the thing is the ones that aren't - such as the Azov 7 and 605r - are some of the best trucks in the game. I've only done the first map in Yukon much but it was definitely a fun spot for the Twinsteer, especially if you've gotten its AWD upgrade but haven't tried it yet (every map is a fun map for the Twinsteer). Some fun ones you may not have tried include a lot, my personal favs of the often overlooked are the Actaeon and Voron AE

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Heavies are mostly pretty limited yeah, but the thing is the ones that aren't - such as the Azov 7 and 605r - are some of the best trucks in the game. I've only done the first map in Yukon much but it was definitely a fun spot for the Twinsteer, especially if you've gotten its AWD upgrade but haven't tried it yet (every map is a fun map for the Twinsteer). Some fun ones you may not have tried include a lot, my personal favs of the often overlooked are the Actaeon and Voron AE

I don't think I've tried the Voron *or* the Twinsteer, so I shall definitely have to check those out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

magimix posted:

I don't think I've tried the Voron *or* the Twinsteer, so I shall definitely have to check those out.

TWIN TWINSTEERS

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I saw someone on reddit say the p512 was good so I decided to give it another go, I hated it in Yukon but it runs really well in Maine, it is suited to the shallow water with no rocks and lovely mud. I think the big rocks in Yukon really tripped it up. For all the jank of this game it has surprising depth and pretty much every truck can be useful somehow.
I just wish they let it be a bit easier, if you could fix that little bridge to the sawmill in Maine for example. The one in Zimnegorsk too. Doesn't make sense that so many bridges and rockslides can be fixed but some are left as a permanent gently caress you drive over this every time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I wish there were more options for infrastructure repair. At least let me sweep rocks off the road or something.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

Yeah I wish there were more options for infrastructure repair. At least let me sweep rocks off the road or something.

This in particular. Or in general, whenever you clear a blockage, its an oversight that the 'cruft' isn't also removed. Another big offender here, in some maps, being barriers in front of blockages. You clear the blockage, but the barriers forever remain and respawn. So wierd.

Edit: Just towed a giant...rig/trailer thing to the gold mine. I was curious as to whether it'd be a smooth drive via the short route I've been using (which has a hard, steep turn where you join the route close to the mine). Nope! Not a bit of it. It wasn't so much that the KOLOB didn't have the power, so much as it got *completely* beached - literally every wheel off the ground. Both truck and trailer. Perfectly balanced at the hitch-point. Thank goodness I still had an Azov 7 hanging around at the mine, to tow me out of that one quickly.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 26, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Trailers getting hung up is absolutely the worst thing about them. It's why I either haul with the p16 or boar (chains) for the extra ground clearance, I feel that matters more than power

Just spent about 200 gallons of fuel getting the rocket carrier through some trees and put back upright in urska river but after that it was really smooth sailing all the way to the finish line. Zikz with fuel tank pulling the boar did the trick. Cleaned up my trucks on all the maps and found I had 7 zikzs and 5 azov7s in the field.

Now I can't figure out why the game isn't recognizing that I bought the year 2 pass. It shows purchased in the ps store but that's it. Can't get to either region. I really want the forester truck before doing any more logging

Edit oh I individually download season 5&6, I don't think I had to do this with 1-4

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 26, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo you can hold RT down on any waypoint you made on the map and drag it around. No more completely redoing a path I charted out simply because I found a faster route.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo you can hold RT down on any waypoint you made on the map and drag it around. No more completely redoing a path I charted out simply because I found a faster route.

You can also hold the same button on the blue line and drag it to add intermediate waypoints. I usually make paths by just setting the end waypoint then adding/adjusting a few midpoints

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a similar problem on two tasks in the first Michigan area.

For both Missing Oil Tank and Stuck Trailer I have the trailers in position but can’t complete the task. People on Reddit had good experience quitting and reloading the game, somehow solving the problem but that didn’t work for me. I don’t want to restart the tasks and start over, anyone know what’s happening?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

explosivo posted:

mastershakeman posted:

You can also hold the same button on the blue line and drag it to add intermediate waypoints. I usually make paths by just setting the end waypoint then adding/adjusting a few midpoints

Good lord, I'm glad I'm only finding this out around ~25hrs in, rather than 250hrs in! Geez, that's handy - I'm not sure why I didn't think to check that. Did this feature exist in Mudrunner? I could've sworn I'd tried to produce a similar result in that, without any luck. (So then I just assumed that Snowrun would be the same)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

explosivo posted:

I will instantly become a mod-using convert if someone puts a bulldozer into the game simply for this.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowy posted:

I have a similar problem on two tasks in the first Michigan area.

For both Missing Oil Tank and Stuck Trailer I have the trailers in position but can’t complete the task. People on Reddit had good experience quitting and reloading the game, somehow solving the problem but that didn’t work for me. I don’t want to restart the tasks and start over, anyone know what’s happening?

Are you using the trailers that the mission specifies to use? You can't use a substitute one

The Forester in region 6 is super easy to get, whee. What's funny is my aunt had just texted the family about seeing a komatsu one in the woods in the UP while snowmobiling

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mastershakeman posted:

Are you using the trailers that the mission specifies to use? You can't use a substitute one

Yeah, I looked them up on maprunner to be sure.

I just have two trailers waiting in the yellow squares until I figure it out so I’m off exploring in the scout 800 right now, bouncing around like a lunatic

E- I winch towed them in, and thought that might have been the problem so I tried a different truck to hitch one of them but that didn’t work either

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the ZiKZ in the Cosmodrome easy to get to if I have barely touched Amur up to this point? Just trying to find out if there's anything like having to unlock the map that would have to be done first.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

I just wish they let it be a bit easier, if you could fix that little bridge to the sawmill in Maine for example. The one in Zimnegorsk too. Doesn't make sense that so many bridges and rockslides can be fixed but some are left as a permanent gently caress you drive over this every time.

there's always mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU-ARpPJc3g

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Huh, I drove the first trailer out of the target area then back in and it completed the task! No idea why but I’ll take it. Now for the second one….

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

explosivo posted:

Is the ZiKZ in the Cosmodrome easy to get to if I have barely touched Amur up to this point? Just trying to find out if there's anything like having to unlock the map that would have to be done first.

No.

I'm going to do a writeup on amur in a bit but the difficulty is insanely front loaded. By the time I got to the zikz it was pretty easy from that point on, mainly because I learned to deal with most of the obstacles before I got the super truck.

I can give you a flowchart on how to get to the zikz fastest but it's really, really difficult and you're better off doing other stuff first so as to save a lot of time later

From memory you need to take trucks on a very specific path along breakable ice, complete a task of hauling a trailer back to a spot for opening a warehouse, then take that warehouses beams across a ton more breakable ice to unlock the contract that opens the next map. Then there's an easy garage to get to and a hairy road to take with a specific set of trucks to go get the zikz.

It's doable but it's a lot of work. The main features of the zikz are
1) tons of repair points and fuel on the roof
2) stable
3) can drive itself through broken ice like the cat 745c and azoz 4220

Other than the amur maps you don't need a combo of 2&3 while able to carry 2 units of cargo

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 27, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Snowy posted:

Huh, I drove the first trailer out of the target area then back in and it completed the task! No idea why but I’ll take it. Now for the second one….

Sabre has hosed around with completion triggers a few times now. You used to need to be attached to the trailer for it to register. For the most part just dragging the trailer itself into the target area is enough now. It's maddening for a second when the drop off doesn't register. Like your heart sinks, "Noooo! This took twenty minutes!" Usually leaving the target area and entering it again works.

Another thing they've done is let you switch between tasks and unloading zones occupying the same space by (on PS4) holding down square. That's hosed me up a few times, especially when restarting to game.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

madeintaipei posted:

Sabre has hosed around with completion triggers a few times now. You used to need to be attached to the trailer for it to register. For the most part just dragging the trailer itself into the target area is enough now. It's maddening for a second when the drop off doesn't register. Like your heart sinks, "Noooo! This took twenty minutes!" Usually leaving the target area and entering it again works.

I’m glad it ended up working because I was convincing myself that it wasn’t working because I winched them in. I brought another truck to the first one so I could hitch it properly, which worked after I left and reentered the area.

On the second one, the truck I had handy couldn’t hitch it right but for the hell of it I just winched out the trainer then pushed it back in and it worked.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

No.

I'm going to do a writeup on amur in a bit but the difficulty is insanely front loaded. By the time I got to the zikz it was pretty easy from that point on, mainly because I learned to deal with most of the obstacles before I got the super truck.

I can give you a flowchart on how to get to the zikz fastest but it's really, really difficult and you're better off doing other stuff first so as to save a lot of time later

The reddit flowchart? Even looking at that gives me heartburn.

Sort of related: Sabre must know there was a problem with the tasks that unlock the Tatra Phoenix. It's gated behind three or four tasks, but you only need to do half of them to unlock the truck for sale. I found this out after unintentionally deleting the unique cargo for one of said tasks. Whoops.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Snowy posted:

I’m glad it ended up working because I was convincing myself that it wasn’t working because I winched them in. I brought another truck to the first one so I could hitch it properly, which worked after I left and reentered the area.

On the second one, the truck I had handy couldn’t hitch it right but for the hell of it I just winched out the trainer then pushed it back in and it worked.

AFAIKT, the only trailers that need to be attached are the special trailers; the one big fuel trailer in Michigan, the 8 slot tubing trailers, and the wide trailers with drilling equipment. They're all way too heavy to move without a high saddle, so you'll kinda know if you've screwed the pooch there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Other than the amur maps you don't need a combo of 2&3 while able to carry 2 units of cargo

some of the Bullshit Ice in yellowrock would beg to differ IME :mad:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

some of the Bullshit Ice in yellowrock would beg to differ IME :mad:

Well as the old adage goes; "don't drive on the yellow snowice". Geez, you can't blame others for you making mistakes like that! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 27, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

TWIN TWINSTEERS

the trucks of choice for people who think the 5319 is far too economical

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the writeup, it's not like I'm starved for other good trucks right now so I'll probably just go work on that at my own pace once I'm done in Wisconsin.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I discovered this game few days ago and I really enjoy the challenge of hard mode. I’m not set on making quick progress or anything like that, I’m playing the game to relax few mins before going to sleep.

Anyway, the question.

I don’t want to watch any guides not to spoil myself too much but are there any things I should avoid doing? That warning about needing to restart the game if I mess things up, what to do to not mess things up?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kaaj posted:

I discovered this game few days ago and I really enjoy the challenge of hard mode. I’m not set on making quick progress or anything like that, I’m playing the game to relax few mins before going to sleep.

Anyway, the question.

I don’t want to watch any guides not to spoil myself too much but are there any things I should avoid doing? That warning about needing to restart the game if I mess things up, what to do to not mess things up?

I'll say that hard mode is not a good way to casually enjoy yourself before you understand the unique rules this game operates under. It may be possible but it's unlikely, so what I'm saying is that don't let getting hosed by hard mode influence your opinion of the game generally

I would honestly advise you spend 10 hours doing a Michigan and Alaska exploration save file before you do a hard mode run. Is there a term for games where hard mode is for veterans and not skilled players? Because that's the case here

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Epic High Five posted:

I'll say that hard mode is not a good way to casually enjoy yourself before you understand the unique rules this game operates under. It may be possible but it's unlikely, so what I'm saying is that don't let getting hosed by hard mode influence your opinion of the game generally

I would honestly advise you spend 10 hours doing a Michigan and Alaska exploration save file before you do a hard mode run. Is there a term for games where hard mode is for veterans and not skilled players? Because that's the case here

Thanks, good opinion. For context, I don't mind being beaten by the game, I've got other games which fill me with endomorphins. I weirdly enjoy the added challenge of knowing that my failures have more serious consequences here though. Just want to avoid doing some obvious newbie mistakes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kaaj posted:

Thanks, good opinion. For context, I don't mind being beaten by the game, I've got other games which fill me with endomorphins. I weirdly enjoy the added challenge of knowing that my failures have more serious consequences here though. Just want to avoid doing some obvious newbie mistakes.

I get it, my main issue is that hard mode doesn't really just defeat you, it puts you in a position where you have no way forward except to restart like 40 hours in. Not even the most brutal of hardcore hardcore games do that. IMHO the much better thing to do is start out with a "only regional trucks on regional maps" challenge which has a logarithmic difficulty curve upward versus hard mode which is far closer to normal right up until you're hosed

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
The biggest change in hard mode is that you can run out of money. Better to play on normal and role play not abusing recover / infinite fuel up from trailer store etc. The main reason is that there's not really any good way to grind money, you can repeat contests but it's not much money and you could easily get to the point where you run out of money and get soft locked and be unable to play any more on that save.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the word on don? Im loving the change of pace from empty hell maps, these two are tiny and fun. I'm tearing around in small trucks and tipping over every 8 feet since im never far from the garage. I just don't know how many cargo slots to bring to each place to haul stuff back - I just found cement and I only see needing 3 pieces for the whole first map which seems wrong

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ... I was towing cabins to a cabin zone, and I get there, and realised that at some point, I'd tipped my cargo, and hadn't noticed. :doh: What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

What's the word on don? Im loving the change of pace from empty hell maps, these two are tiny and fun. I'm tearing around in small trucks and tipping over every 8 feet since im never far from the garage. I just don't know how many cargo slots to bring to each place to haul stuff back - I just found cement and I only see needing 3 pieces for the whole first map which seems wrong

Just finished all the regional tasks and I really enjoyed it, good mix of everything and it being two small maps hasn't detracted from anything because they crammed a lot of various and difficult areas. It'll never be as much as Yukon but later missions require some serious hauling