Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

37 steps to describe "hauling and selling some cargo"

It would have been 41 steps once the poo and pee gameplay is added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

Kosumo posted:

It would have been 41 steps once the poo and pee gameplay is added.

63. My character has severe diarrhea.

For RP reasons

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa hold your horses mr. future science man, this is realistic Sci-Fi we're talking about. Next you're going to tell me they could use some sort of device to talk to people at far away distances, a so called "speaking telegraph" to make deals.

Maybe that's why it's taking them so long to get anywhere with Star Citizen; they must have a company policy that forbids the use of e-mail or phones or video conferencing. All discussions and decisions must be made in-person or by handwritten letters; all data must be transferred on physical media carried by reliable and daring couriers (who, of course, must have their own specialized vehicles for this purpose). That's why Chris Roberts had to relocate to the UK, so that he could be there to finally whisper the secrets of the all-important Mess Hall scene directly into existence, thereby guaranteeing that the beta for Squadron 42 will be ready by 2022, I mean 2023, I mean "soon."

(Actually, if we found out after CIG closes its doors that there really was a company policy requiring certain things to only be discussed in person, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Any decent vampire lawyer worth the coffin he sleeps in will tell you that some business models really shouldn't leave a paper trail.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now that I think about it, you could train the procgen birds to carry messages attached to their legs to its destinations. Of course, you would also have to teach them to pilot tiny bird spaceships if you wanted the message to reach another planet.

Then you could sell them. The RSI corvid-1, in stock, only $75, a steal!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

trucutru posted:

Now that I think about it, you could train the procgen birds to carry messages attached to their legs to its destinations. Of course, you would also have to teach them to pilot tiny bird spaceships if you wanted the message to reach another planet.

Then you could sell them. The RSI corvid-1, in stock, only $75, a steal!

Message attached to carrier pigeon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

EDIT: jeez...there are some people who can't read between the lines aren't there. The task wasn't "Do whatever is necessary to make 400, 000" (kinda wished I hadn't mentioned the amount, figured people were smarter but hey). The task was picking up the refined ore I'd already mined and taking it to market and selling it.

The whole point of the above is to show that you pop on for a quick go and get something done. Not masses but then why would you expect to? This isn't some mobile game you go to when you're off for a quick crap break at work. :smile:

quote:

Fekk me. I've got nothing left but animal grunts to attempt to communicate with.

Yes, of course the ore had to come from somewhere and it came from me having fun tootling around the Aaron halo mining it.

But I don't think I ever said. You can do the complete mining gameplay loop in 40 minutes did I?

I said (to somewhat paraphrase) you can do the picking up your refined ore and taking it to market and selling it thing in 40 minutes.

Which is what I did and I enjoyed myself whilst doing it.

You can get discrete tasks (not necessarily complete gameplay loops, and that's a good thing in my opinion) done in a relatively short time, if you're organised about it.

Now if you want to hallucinate something else and claim I said it to try to argue your point that you should be able to see and do everything there is to do in a 2 hours session then I'm not your fella.

I've done you the favour of explaining what should be self evident once. I shan't bother next time.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Ah the wonderful SC community doing fine work as usual o7 commandos

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

whilst shan't, someone toss this guy into a locker

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I said (to somewhat paraphrase) you can do the picking up your refined ore and taking it to market and selling it thing in 40 minutes.

At last, a game that doesn't cater to the casuals.

.random
May 7, 2007

Now someone do this same set of actions and count the number of button presses / mouse clicks TIA

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

.random posted:

Now someone do this same set of actions and count the number of button presses / mouse clicks TIA

If Chris plays it (never happen) it would become one click - youtube video Play button.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I was trying to explain the Fourth Stimpire to somebody the other day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bumble He posted:

there is one interesting aspect left though, fighting for territory. i never played eve, but i understand that its besically a 4x game but mmo-style etc. i imagine that a space pew pew game could be loads of fun if the actual space battle is fought for a reason like expansion of your fraction's territory/influence/resources/jumppoints what have you.

but this would of course need a rock solid territorial-based core game mechanic. if you imagined the starmap as a huge playfield where fractions fight for influence, it could be fun. but that would mean throwing out all the fluff and redundant eye candy and instead providing all the mechanics needed to make this happen. and yes, i think then even the famous emergent gameplay can happen.

talking feasability, it would not even be necessary that ships can meet each other at all times in space, since space is really goddam huge. it could work like if you want to defend a sector than your ship is flagged as defender, if other ships want to attack that sector then they will inevitably have to fight against the defenders.

thank you for reading my dreams.txt

seems like something that like EVE would only actually be fun from the outside when someone else collects the drama and stories into a cohesive narrative for you after the fact.

citizens are also already between a rock and hardplace with regards to any kind of pvp or ability to damage or impact one another. adding in territory disputes and the preceding years of land and territory sales actually perobably is a safe bet for making croberts cash but another disaster amplifier if ever released not that its a risk.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Midnight Voyager posted:

whilst shan't, someone toss this guy into a locker

He also said 'Fekk' and while I don't actually know if this is true I'm entirely convinced it's one of those 'safe for TV' swears that sci-fi shows used to make up in the mid 2000s

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

He also said 'Fekk' and while I don't actually know if this is true I'm entirely convinced it's one of those 'safe for TV' swears that sci-fi shows used to make up in the mid 2000s

The Battlestar Galactica remake had "frack", and "feck" is real-world Irish & Scottish slang for "gently caress", popularized in the BBC show Father Ted. "Fekk" is probably this guy's quirky/pretentious made up version of those.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Animal Friend posted:

I have found that a fresh car battery and alligator clips help immensely when trying to explain the 4th stimpire.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

^^^^

:five:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anyways, today was the date that the new roadmap for the game was supposed to be released. Backers were expecting big delays for all the items in the roadmap.

... but they weren't expecting a delay on the roadmap itself. Because CIG needs an extra week after "planning month" to finish their planning.

I can't wait to be educated about what the terminology in the roadmap really means!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Gonna post my 100 step process for doing one fraction of a whole of an enormous mess, hang on. Frack me, fekkers. :ffg:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Anyways, today was the date that the new roadmap for the game was supposed to be released. Backers were expecting big delays for all the items in the roadmap.

... but they weren't expecting a delay on the roadmap itself. Because CIG needs an extra week after "planning month" to finish their planning.

I can't wait to be educated about what the terminology in the roadmap really means!

When you missed 20 years of technology and just refuse to learn what people have done, you need to come up with new terms for the common things you chose to reinvent poorly.

I wonder if they ever resolved their battle against database smegma?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The Battlestar Galactica remake had "frack", and "feck" is real-world Irish & Scottish slang for "gently caress", popularized in the BBC show Father Ted. "Fekk" is probably this guy's quirky/pretentious made up version of those.

OG Battlestar had frak too

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Thoatse posted:

OG Battlestar had frak too

And felgercarb. I loved felgercarb

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure if you turn off enough stuff Elite gives you a fairly close-ish flight model in space. All that inertia and coasting and what have you.

I mean yeah, but even the 'airplanes in space' model is more legit than people seem to think. IFCS flight control systems already exist and some planes couldn't even be flown without them. It crunches pilot inputs into actual craft commands, sometimes thousands of individual things happening at once to keep the plane flying which no human could possibly control. They can be set to different modes for different regimes of flying. A computer is already translating simplistic inputs from an ape man moving levers into complex craft changes. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/research/IFCS/index.html

In Elite or any game that has airplanes in space it would be trivial to set an IFCS system to resolve the pilot's inputs that way. Heck, even FA off in Elite would still turning simpleton pilot inputs into complex arrays of thruster actions to accomplish this, it's just resolving pilot inputs as basic 2nd order acceleration (like Asteroids/Apollo spacecraft etc) instead of 1st order velocity (airplanes, boat throttle etc) where it would be automatically arresting motion where you weren't actively making inputs. It would essentially be be just as easy for a real IFCS to do this as the game's IFCS, at least in a universe where you have what amounts to unlimited fuel and don't want to make life more difficult than need be. The only reason contemporary space flight is all 2nd order motion is because your extremely limited fuel is so precious and that's how you fly if you don't want to waste gas.

Don't even get me started on space gamers led by noted physics understander Crisp Roberts hijacking of the phrase 'Newtonian flight' to mean basic bitch 2nd order Asteroids/Apollo flight model as if objects in atmosphere aren't subject to Newtonian physics exactly as much as objects in space. Yeah but an object in motion tends to stay in motion hurrr.... but no one seems to know the followup line 'unless acted on by an unbalanced force.. That force in Elite for instance is the IFCS burning cheap/plentiful fuel in the case of Flight Assist on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…for instance, most sensible flight sims use “Newtonian flight” to drive their flight models.

So… yeah.
Let's remember that this is the man who thought that “Wing Commander in jets” (aka SC) would be the most realistic combat flight sim evarrr in a world where Falcon 3.0 existed. It's not only physics that he is a noted understander of, but also contemporary games and PC tech in general.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

trucutru posted:

In any case that dude got paid for five years of theorycrafting/implementing the dumbest flight model ever. He planned for every contingency ever and made sure that the thrusters could counteract all the different forces that affect the ship. The main problem is that none of those forces are actually in the game. Lift and drag? Forget it, not even gravity is there and was instead simulated by phantom thrust.

Everything is rear end-backwards. Here is how they calculate fuel cost:

Are you accelerating? Yes? then it costs fuel. Otherwise no. All those calculations and bullshit but nothing is actually done properly.

Even when his stupid poo poo was still there they had to have things like 'ghost thrusters' because the ships couldn't even fly with thrusters artistically approved by The Chairman. Also even with all the real physcs! pledge angle they still jacked the numbers around enough to turn it into something indistinguishable from noclip, partly cause lol cig partly because they realized they needed to cater to the more numerous kbm backer wanting ship combat to be a 60df twitch FPS with ship skins. I believe the controls Katamari gulag thread marked the beginning of the [moved to concern] era

obligatory

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tippis posted:

…for instance, most sensible flight sims use “Newtonian flight” to drive their flight models.

So… yeah.
Let's remember that this is the man who thought that “Wing Commander in jets” (aka SC) would be the most realistic combat flight sim evarrr in a world where Falcon 3.0 existed. It's not only physics that he is a noted understander of, but also contemporary games and PC tech in general.

:gary:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Kesper North posted:

And felgercarb. I loved felgercarb

Original Battlestar's only crime is that it only ran one season. I used to love that poo poo. I still do, but I used to too.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

CornHolio posted:

Would it? I've got an i9-10885H, 128 gigs of RAM and an NVidia Quadro RTX 5000 graphics card. How much would it hate me?

Do you have copper pipes in your house?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Animal Friend posted:

did u use only the best kind of electricity while removing his genitals and injecting his veins with silver

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
speaking of which, the stimperor brings tidings of simple text being delayed a week

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/roadmap-update-status-january-26-2022/4829822

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
What the hell, Montoya is actually right about something? He's... calling out a scam? Worried about people getting ripped off??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvEDr4HXPs

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

They should hire this guy to write their roadmap, look at all this padding

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Thoatse posted:

Original Battlestar's only crime is that it only ran one season. I used to love that poo poo. I still do, but I used to too.

There is also that crime that it didn't only ran one season

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

What the hell, Montoya is actually right about something? He's... calling out a scam? Worried about people getting ripped off??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvEDr4HXPs

Grey-market resellable JPGs are completely fine, and I'll defend the right of people to buy them. NFTs though:

quote:

I think I understand the point you’re making… Are you sort of saying that even if they don’t call them NFTs, it’s still sort of the same thing? If not, disregard my reply entirely lol. But if that’s what you were saying, I disagree. I know a lot of people have a problem with star citizen selling ships, but it is how they fund the development of the game. I don’t have any problem with it, primarily because I believe in a person’s right (and more importantly, ability) to make that choice for themselves. There are many ships I have wanted to buy, the marketing is enticing, but I have not pulled the trigger because I don’t have the money to spend. The money I do have would not be well spent on that, anyway. But the distinction doesn’t end there. An NFT is an actual certificate of ownership, one which, in theory, cannot be tampered with, which is why it has many potential uses that are quite practical. I just don’t believe it has any place in video games as an NFT is more so, at this stage, a financial product than anything else, and I don’t want my game or its economy to be overrun by people who aren’t playing the game, just using it as an investment vehicle instead. In other words, I think CIG is interested in attracting gamers for their game, as there would be no market for NFTs in a game which no one is playing. This is why star atlas will never be a video game, but it is an opportunity for people with low intelligence and stupid money to have some fun trading NFTs. In this case, it doesn’t matter if it ever becomes a game because it started as an NFT racket. No game will result from that because no gamers will be interested in it. Not enough of them anyway. Star citizen would fail to be a game very quickly if it became a haven for NFT trading douche bags, and because CIG has plans to profit from it as a game, I don’t believe they would be wise to mess with that dynamic. I could be wrong, I certainly don’t mind being corrected as I prefer to be knowledgeable rather than right, but that’s the way I see it as of now.

That Lethality call-out. :lmao:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

I think we're almost finished up with anything we can learn about the game by playing it, since so little actually changes from month to month. I want to be done with a final, comprehensive analysis of Star Citizen as a project, but there's parts I need more than just my personal speculation on.

In particular, I would really love it if anyone knows where to find comprehensive thoughts or writeups detailing, from a dev or programming perspective, what you can learn about the state of the game's code and its development from observing that the game seems terminally janky as gently caress and any update attempting to add or improve things breaks it down in several different new and exciting ways. What's the extent of the paralysis? How deep is the jank? How do companies get to this level of busted, torturous, impenetrable legacy code? Are there any comparable examples besides SC? How did other companies handle it? Were they ever really recoverable at this point or was it only a product of terminal developmental failures that doomed the project?

If I have the answers to these questions, I think I'll have everything I need.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Thoatse posted:

I mean yeah, but even the 'airplanes in space' model is more legit than people seem to think. IFCS flight control systems already exist and some planes couldn't even be flown without them. It crunches pilot inputs into actual craft commands, sometimes thousands of individual things happening at once to keep the plane flying which no human could possibly control. They can be set to different modes for different regimes of flying. A computer is already translating simplistic inputs from an ape man moving levers into complex craft changes. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/research/IFCS/index.html

Even sims that have properly functioning and reasonably accurate flight models don’t really convey the feeling of inertia. It can be physically exhausting to maintain control if you’re not trimmed out or using an autopilot.

https://twitter.com/capt_navy/status/1161158649974263813?s=21

Star Citizen’s noclip flying is such a joke.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I just love taking a good big "morning" cup of coffee, stretch and sit down to read the :reddit: circlejerk daily.I also love that it is, very conveniently I should say, placed on SA.
No need to open reddit, you know

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Very low effort but perfect for the SC thread. A+

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru posted:

the future of roadmap development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Erulisse posted:

I just love taking a good big "morning" cup of coffee, stretch and sit down to read the :reddit: circlejerk daily.I also love that it is, very conveniently I should say, placed on SA.
No need to open reddit, you know

a bit too patent but i'll give you a 6/10 so you don't feel discouraged