Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hmm, if only Mando knew someone smaller than average who could fit in there now that it's been retrofitted to be a second cockpit, maybe like a former travelling companion who he spent the episode very clearly deeply missing, who would look absurdly cute sitting in that bubble peering around

I miss kuiil too :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
OF COURSE it's got a blower.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Blower? I see a Holley type dominator carburetor lookalike with an air cleaner on top. They've got it turned sideways like they run on some of the 2 carb setups.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

It looks much smaller than you'd imagine Ringwood / Halo to be however. Which makes sense in the Star Wars tech universe.

It's a Culture Orbital. There is a GCU somewhere out of shot watching everything with amusement.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
I'm a simple man. If I see something with holes in it sticking up out of the front end, it's a blower.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Owlbear Camus posted:

carl weathers?

Well now if that doesn’t happen in season 3, I’m going to be disappointed and upset about it online assuming I still remember whenever that airs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I feel like we’re probably gonna figure out what a Naboo N-1 Starfighter is doing on Tatooine in the first place via the Obi-Wan show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonz posted:

I feel like we’re probably gonna figure out what a Naboo N-1 Starfighter is doing on Tatooine in the first place via the Obi-Wan show.

Dude, where's my starfighter?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dude, where's my starfighter?

Suddenly hoping that the Kenobi show makes Auralnauts Obi-Wan canon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yes please. Cast him as an aging, full-of-himself, cheeseball Dash Rendar.

EDIT: I mean, come on:

Is this drawn from a screencap of Jeff Bridges as Flynn in the original TRON?

If I had to place it, I'd say it was the exposition scene above his arcade.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yeah. In the establishing shots you can see a bright light it corner of the frame, as well as the shadow panels, indicating it is just like the classic Larry Niven ringworld.

It looks much smaller than you'd imagine Ringwood / Halo to be however. Which makes sense in the Star Wars tech universe.

Looks to me like it could be a smaller scale ringworld, like around a white dwarf instead of a regular main sequence star. Most white dwarfs are smaller than even the Earth and it would need a lot less material to make a ring around it than something that's the size of our sun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can’t gently caress a gonk droid.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Not with that attitude!

The episode was good poo poo. Holy poo poo a loving Ringworld

That wasn't even as big as a Halo.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish we had a wider shot of that place. The scale of the buildings and width/depth of the ring just seems wrong for that thing to be a “proper sized” ring world, so part of me was curious if it was around some kinda artificial sun, like a fusion lamp or something.

Either way it’s a fascinating addition to the universe.

They showed a wide shot where it had some sort of giant central spinning mirror for a few seconds.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just watched this, of course the best episode of The Book of Boba Fett is an episode that practically doesn't feature anything to do with that show. Was a great episode but it's an odd choice to just throw what is apart from the last minute a Mandalorian episode into your new prestige tv series. When your series is only 7 episodes and you choose to essentially dedicate one of those episodes to another show is that revealing how little faith you have in what you created? Still, while it is an odd choice I'd much rather watch an episode of The Mandalorian over Boba Fett at this point.

edit: Also oh boy it really shows how bad RR's directing is when you stack this episode up against his in this series.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 26, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how the ring station adheres to Star Wars not giving a gently caress about safety regulations. Spin gravity? Who needs that, just let them fall off the gantry into space.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Arc Hammer posted:

I like how the ring station adheres to Star Wars not giving a gently caress about safety regulations. Spin gravity? Who needs that, just let them fall off the gantry into space.

tatooine doesn't have any kind of air traffic control. you can take off from your cool auntie's junkyard and immediately go 0.5ly/s with no one to stop you... until imperial or republic killjoys show up, I guess.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Loved it, was grinning ear to ear the whole episode, and the T2 flashback of Mandalore getting laid to waste was fantastic. The only time it lost its mojo was when Fennec showed up at the end and brought us back into the storyline. Was expecting Mando to show up in this episode based on the musical cues from last time, but was NOT expecting him to bisect someone with the Darksaber in the first 5 minutes of the episode. :frog:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Life on Star Wars Halo sounds raw as gently caress.

"Hey Mando my neighbor hit my mailbox and I want to hire you for revenge."

"Ok what planet is he on"

"Oh, it's down the street. Walking distance. Like, you can see it from here. That's cool, right?"

"How many guards?"

"Nah it's a meat market, you can just, like, walk in."

"Weird. Do you want me to scare him, get some money, what?"

"Oh you can fuckin kill him, I don't care. Ok see ya."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Just Chamber posted:

Just watched this, of course the best episode of The Book of Boba Fett is an episode that practically doesn't feature anything to do with that show. Was a great episode but it's an odd choice to just throw what is apart from the last minute a Mandalorian episode into your new prestige tv series. When your series is only 7 episodes and you choose to essentially dedicate one of those episodes to another show is that revealing how little faith you have in what you created? Still, while it is an odd choice I'd much rather watch an episode of The Mandalorian over Boba Fett at this point.

I think this episode is actually the reason WHY bobf is 7 episodes. They needed to delay full production of Mando S3 for Pedro to do Last of Us for HBO so they spin up the boba fett show, get pedro for enough to make a stealth S3 Ep0 for Mando and have him in the final few episodes. Then carry the story directly into Mando S3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

boo boo bear posted:

tatooine doesn't have any kind of air traffic control. you can take off from your cool auntie's junkyard and immediately go 0.5ly/s with no one to stop you... until imperial or republic killjoys show up, I guess.

I noticed that on Tatooine the bigger ships that couldn't fit in the docking bays were out on the desert flats and there were those big Japanese gateways to the city like the ones they had on Jakku. Tatooine Jakku theory confirm? I'll need a video telling me how it's all explained.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

I noticed that on Tatooine the bigger ships that couldn't fit in the docking bays were out on the desert flats and there were those big Japanese gateways to the city like the ones they had on Jakku. Tatooine Jakku theory confirm? I'll need a video telling me how it's all explained.

The japanese-ish gateway arch is from McQuarrie's concept art for Tatooine. A LOT of post-disney star wars hinges on Lucasfilm people going "man i like this unused mcquarrie concept art - lets put it in our comic/movie/show"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

At least Mos Espa and Jakku both have strong ties to the Hutts, so having similar Hutt-style architecture makes sense.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've watched Auralnauts so many times I can't be sure if "Wizard" was a reference to them or if it actually was in the prequels

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Captain Splendid posted:

I've watched Auralnauts so many times I can't be sure if "Wizard" was a reference to them or if it actually was in the prequels

the kids say it in episode 1

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Captain Splendid posted:

Episode 1. Anakin's friend says "That's so wizard' in reference to Anakin's pod racer I think. It might have been used elsewhere.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

pedro pascal saying "wizard" in his way owned - this episode made me realize i just much prefer hearing pedro pascal talk compared with temura's boba, and i happen to like temura a lot. There's just something about the helmet modulated pedro pascal voice that rules.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerkface posted:

pedro pascal saying "wizard" in his way owned - this episode made me realize i just much prefer hearing pedro pascal talk compared with temura's boba, and i happen to like temura a lot. There's just something about the helmet modulated pedro pascal voice that rules.

This episode just completely exposed how flawed BOBF is from top to bottom.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jerkface posted:

So the answer is we use the voice modulator from Republic Commando for Temuera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxYdM66NVnc

Yeah this is almost 17 years ago now but he sounds soooo good.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Yea maybe part of the trick would be to have had him keep his helmet on more i dunno - part of it is the dialogue - most of what boba has actually said in the show is him just asking stupid questions about stuff or whatever. I think "left for dead on the sands of tatooine" is amongst his best line reads and so its no wonder it anchored all the trailers

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

People really seem to want Boba Fett to be just like The Mandalorian, but their hands were kind of tied in just doing more of that, because they already have that show and this one needed to be different enough to not be a retread of the show they made that was already Boba Fett with the serial numbers filed off. :psyduck:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The episode was weirdly paced, with some really stretched-out scenes that didn't have a lot of bearing on things. We've already gotten a couple of "Rocky" sendups with Mando learning to ride the Blurrg and the crew assembling on the Razor Crest, so I dunno why we needed another one retrofitting the Space Mustang.

Loved seeing the BD, and the K units on Mandalore were scary. Although maybe I missed something, but in the season one flashback to the Night of Long Knives a Thousand Tears, we saw B2 battle droids loving up wherever Din was hiding. Why would they and Imperial TIE bombers be in the same place? I'm only inferring this because iirc the piece that plays over that scene is called "Night of a Thousand Tears" but maybe they changed their minds.

All of this is moot though because I was smiling the entire time.

Oh and Amy Sedaris's very unsubtle bit after she revealed she used to bang a Jawa was a super :stonklol: moment: "Size and shape don't matter, just make sure it fits your preferences."

Mandrel posted:

the N1 might be small enough that it would fit in say, a Razor Crest with a modified cargo bay

he should've kept Gideon's cruiser, it would've been perfect. though I guess its probably too much ship for one dude to man

They go out of their way to mention the crewing requirements of Gideon's cruiser in the S2 finale, in particular how it was barely running with the skeleton crew on board. I have to imagine it was a) to show how only five people could cut the crew down to one survivor, and b) to head off any questions about why Mando didn't just keep it.

The Homer bubble is 100% gonna be for lil Grogs.

Hopefully this will appease those dorks who keep wanting gore and overt violence in their kid's space fantasy, but I doubt it.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah! I hope that wasn’t our BD…bc then where’s Cal at…:(

I watch everything with captions because a diving incident messed up my hearing in one ear, and so far they haven't skimped on identifying characters by name even if they aren't said out loud (Camie, Fixer, LEP droid, the mayor, the Klatoonian in the beginning of this episode whose name I forgot, and lots of others). Notably, in this episode, they only called it "BD Droid." So I don't think it's our guy.

Would be incredible though :allears:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Neon Knight posted:

The Armorer straight up redubbed Sarah Connors narration of judgement day in T2. I half expected a close up of a K2 droid stomping on a Mandolorian helmet. Can we look forward to Din visiting that wasteland to atone in S3? Perhaps there remains a underground covert on the planet worshipping some unexploded Imperial payloads because weapons are their religion.

Dr.Radical posted:

Now that you say it, yeah that’s probably what it was. But when I was watching it I was thinking of the giant walker apocalypse memory from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Possibly a nod to the director's role as Kate Connor in Terminator: Salvation.

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, even though it's bad business, I love that Din's all 'it's on the house' when he's told it's for Boba. Not even mates rates. just straight up Mandobros poo poo.

It's also pragmatic. Credits are credits. Legendary Bounty Hunter and Legendary Assassin feeling like they owe you a solid? Priceless.

eke out posted:

i love these hairless bulldogs

They are Klatoonians, from Klatooine. Yes, really.

Arc Hammer posted:

he goes to Tatooine to meet with Amy Sedaris since she found a replacement Starship for him. Then at the end of the episode he's heading off to visit Groguand give him his beskar present before coming back to help Fett.

What do you want to bet that Luke and Grogu are hanging out at old Ben Kenobi's place, conveniently on Tatooine

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure this is something that gets addressed. In his season 3 journey he could end up with a bigger ship but he could hang on to the starfighter for when it's needed.

like Bo Katann's light cruiser and its prominent fighter bay

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hazo posted:

Although maybe I missed something, but in the season one flashback to the Night of Long Knives a Thousand Tears, we saw B2 battle droids loving up wherever Din was hiding. Why would they and Imperial TIE bombers be in the same place? I'm only inferring this because iirc the piece that plays over that scene is called "Night of a Thousand Tears" but maybe they changed their minds.

The S1 flashbacks were to a separate event during the Clone Wars, where Din was first rescued by the Mandalorians. He would already have been an adult when the purge of Mandalore happened.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jerkface posted:

The japanese-ish gateway arch is from McQuarrie's concept art for Tatooine. A LOT of post-disney star wars hinges on Lucasfilm people going "man i like this unused mcquarrie concept art - lets put it in our comic/movie/show"

Pretty sure there was some concept art in one of the episodes. The weird scooter gang was chasing the mayor's assistant, one of them went through two dudes carrying a painting that looked a hell of a lot like some concept art they thought looked cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Empire firebombed Mandalore because Bo-Katan is terrible and doomed her planet after Rebels ended.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Din should probably take a trip to a library and read a book or two rather than learn everything second or third hand from some fanatic.

An interesting point I think someone upthread mentioned: Boba doesn't appear in this episode, but what this episode does do is establish by comparison that of the various Mandalorian survivors out there that he is the most grounded and practical. That does actually move his story forwards a little, and might be important if they are bringing everyone back together for Mando S3.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Hazo posted:

We've already gotten a couple of "Rocky" sendups ith Mando learning to ride the Blurrg and the crew assembling on the Razor Crest, so I dunno why we needed another one retrofitting the Space Mustang.

Because its sick as gently caress? Grounds the show in an incredibly realistic way showing the construction of a light starfighter which also imparts more meaning on mandos new ship which he'll presumably be using for season 3? Further builds the character of both Amy Sedaris & Mando as do-it-yourself-engineers? Gives us foreshadowing of the various mods so that when see them in action we know how we got there?! Gives us some time to gently caress around (literally) with some jawas?!?!?! ITS SICK AS gently caress!?!?

Honestly there should be a star wars tv series about a bunch of mechanics who are just loving around in full size scale reproduction star ships while shooting the poo poo, talking with customers & droids, etc

Its so cool when sci fi properties build out these elaborate prop vehicles with all the gribblies

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Robot Style posted:

The S1 flashbacks were to a separate event during the Clone Wars, where Din was first rescued by the Mandalorians. He would already have been an adult when the purge of Mandalore happened.

Ok so yeah, it must have just been a working title for the score that played during that scene even if it wasn't THE "Night"

Jerkface posted:

Because its sick as gently caress? Grounds the show in an incredibly realistic way showing the construction of a light starfighter which also imparts more meaning on mandos new ship which he'll presumably be using for season 3? Further builds the character of both Amy Sedaris & Mando as do-it-yourself-engineers? Gives us foreshadowing of the various mods so that when see them in action we know how we got there?! Gives us some time to gently caress around (literally) with some jawas?!?!?! ITS SICK AS gently caress!?!?

As I said, I had zero problem with it other than it just stuck out as kind of longish. I loved watching them build out the hyperfast and super-sexy N1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hazo posted:

Loved seeing the BD, and the K units on Mandalore were scary. Although maybe I missed something, but in the season one flashback to the Night of Long Knives a Thousand Tears, we saw B2 battle droids loving up wherever Din was hiding. Why would they and Imperial TIE bombers be in the same place? I'm only inferring this because iirc the piece that plays over that scene is called "Night of a Thousand Tears" but maybe they changed their minds.

Those were two seperate events.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I thought that painting was of Jabba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Dr.Radical posted:

I thought that painting was of Jabba

yea the painting they ran through was old concept art from ROTJ with luke edited out lol