Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Din should probably take a trip to a library and read a book or two rather than learn everything second or third hand from some fanatic.

There's a believable fan-theory that the Star Wars society is largely illiterate. Even the sequels don't really refute this, since Luke didn't even read the Jedi books, and Rey only remembered the parts with pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Robot Style posted:

There's a believable fan-theory that the Star Wars society is largely illiterate. Even the sequels don't really refute this, since Luke didn't even read the Jedi books, and Rey only remembered the parts with pictures.

In ROTJ (or ESB) Luke reads the computer read out in his X-Wing dash board translating R2D2's beeps.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, the linked article mentions that and attributes it to rudimentary task-based literacy, but not "people read and write on a regular basis" literacy:

quote:

“But wait!” you might be saying, “I remember seeing little pieces of text on the screen that Artoo sends to Luke to read. Also there is writing on the tractor beam controls, and people in the ships are looking at buttons with letters on them!” Well, I’d like to point out that even in the case of Luke Skywalker, these letters and pieces of writing are directly related to tasks. Pilots for the Empire are probably functionally literate, because they go through some kind of training academy. However, I think the visual evidence suggests a culture much more reliant upon technology and droids than is immediately apparent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If droids could think there'd be none of us here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I searched for "aurebesh" in that article and it wasn't even mentioned, this guy is full of poo poo

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Kind of weird if everyone is illiterate in a universe where everyone is also a polyglot

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Speaking of illiteracy, I also really enjoyed that whatever techno-scanner Peli was reading was just a Wal-Mart magnetic work lamp (I only noticed because I have a similar model):

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerkface posted:

Yea maybe part of the trick would be to have had him keep his helmet on more i dunno - part of it is the dialogue - most of what boba has actually said in the show is him just asking stupid questions about stuff or whatever. I think "left for dead on the sands of tatooine" is amongst his best line reads and so its no wonder it anchored all the trailers

I think one reason they don't have him keep the helmet on (aside from it's probably hot as balls in that thing) is to say "Hey, you know that Star Wars show with that dude that never takes off his helmet off? This isn't that show."

As far as Din willing to help Boba for free figure Din feels he owes Boba for going above and beyond when it came to rescuing Grogu. Beyond that, helping Boba achieve leadership as a daimyo is good because the other two leadership-oriented Mandalorians are crazy people. Maybe Boba's time with the Sand People didn't make him soft, exactly, but it did seem to mellow him out some.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hazo posted:

Speaking of illiteracy, I also really enjoyed that whatever techno-scanner Peli was reading was just a Wal-Mart magnetic work lamp (I only noticed because I have a similar model):

Was she actually reading it as a doohicky? I thought it was literally just a work lamp.

I also thought it was funny that Mando was complaining about BD not holding a light still while he's working in a full face helmet with a narrow visor.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Arc Hammer posted:

Was she actually reading it as a doohicky? I thought it was literally just a work lamp.

I also thought it was funny that Mando was complaining about BD not holding a light still while he's working in a full face helmet with a narrow visor.

A helmet that likely has night vision!!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arc Hammer posted:

It's an extremely brief scene but all she does is just point the LED upward at her face and double-clicks it to turn it off.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was disappointed Din didn't seem to stand up for himself more about the helmet thing. He just went straight to begging for forgiveness. At this point it's already established that not all Mandalorians keep their helmets on all the time and he could have brought that up. .

:smug: "Leave, apostate."
Man shut the gently caress up Madalorian Bluto. You already got your rear end kicked once.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I was disappointed Din didn't seem to stand up for himself more about the helmet thing. He just went straight to begging for forgiveness. At this point it's already established that not all Mandalorians keep their helmets on all the time and he could have brought that up. .

I think Din's smart enough to know he's not going to successfully argue with these insane fundamentalists about the core practice their religious belief demands though

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Panfilo posted:

I mean thats the problem aint it his sect are extreme die hard fundamentalists who blame the WEAK HELMET REMOVING MANDOS for their planet getting blowed up. I don't think any appeals to "but bo katan takes her helmet off!" are gonna fly with the group that thinks bo katan can sit and spin. They follow "The Way" and the "the Way" says no helmet offy and if everyone else had followed the way their world wouldnt have been trashed by the empire. I'm curious what they are going to do with the mandos going forward as we've seen 3 (soon to be 4) different groups: Boba Fett independent group, Bo Katan helmet offy group who are
just a less observant sect of the fundamentalist terrorist group Death Watch, Mando's die hard death watch sect, and soon to be Sabine Wren's normal mando sect

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 27, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

To be fair, the person who did that was also dismissed by the Armorer as a terrible leader who got their whole planet bombed to poo poo, so maybe not the best example in that scenario.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

Man shut the gently caress up Madalorian Bluto. You already got your rear end kicked once.

It sets up his s3 quest: to go purify himself in the water of Lake Minnetonka Mandolore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
OK but Boba Fett is by creed also a Mandalorian right?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Panfilo posted:

OK but Boba Fett is by creed also a Mandalorian right?

not according to boba

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want a show that's predominantly droids at this point because the animation direction on them between this (Mandalorian), Rebels, and Bad Batch, they've been fantastic.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Panfilo posted:

he should have removed that dudes helmet before peacing out IMO

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Its in my spoiler above but the star wars TV shows are like...not so stealthily all about mandalorians and we'll soon have 4 different groups represented:

Boba Fett - independent, casual mandalorians with bobas new chill attitude, maybe Mando falls in here
Bo'Katan - Death Watch terrorist group mandalorians who are not strict adherants to "the way" but are still fundies
Armourer group - Super Strict Fundie terrorist death watch sect
Sabine Wren - Normie Mando group, actively fought against Bo Katan & Death Watch

Sabine will show up in Ahsoka.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't wait to have them all converge in the two part mandalorians: infinity war and mandalorians: endgame

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerkface posted:

Its in my spoiler above but the star wars TV shows are like...not so stealthily all about mandalorians and we'll soon have 4 different groups represented:

Boba Fett - independent, casual mandalorians with bobas new chill attitude, maybe Mando falls in here
Bo'Katan - Death Watch terrorist group mandalorians who are not strict adherants to "the way" but are still fundies
Sabine Wren - Normie Mando group, actively fought against Bo Katan & Death Watch

idk, if he was so chill he would've told the armorer to stuff it. Or just lied to her face.

He's definitely still a believer of their fundie culty ways.

site posted:

can't wait to have them all converge in the two part mandalorians: infinity war and mandalorians: endgame

Crisis of Infinite Mandalorians. Then the remnants of the empire shows up and bombs their asses into the dirt again. :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

lumpentroll posted:

he should have removed that dudes helmet before peacing out IMO

LMAO yeah "get rekt Paz" *kicks helmet into space, zips away with jetpack*

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

idk, if he was so chill he would've told the armorer to stuff it. Or just lied to her face.

He's definitely still a believer of their fundie culty ways.

I think he might fall in with Boba's group, not that he is currently super chill. He clearly has been deviating from strict adherence to the way since meeting Grogu

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerkface posted:

I think he might fall in with Boba's group, not that he is currently super chill. He clearly has been deviating from strict adherence to the way since meeting Grogu

Oh I misunderstood. Yea I think that's his eventual character arc: chilling out a bit. But for now he's still all aboard team helmet.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jerkface posted:

I desperately want some sort of normie Mando who is a legitimate mentor figure to show and explain to Din that being a Mandalorian is much more about intent and action than wardrobe. I kinda hope it’s Sabine’s mom.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I re-watched the original trilogy last weekend in so long it might as well have been the first time. The Boba Fett scenes were underwhelming compared to how much they're hyped. In Return of the Jedi, Vader does all the work on Bespin and Boba Fett isn't really any more useful than anyone else, like the assassin droid, in the rogues gallery on Vader's star destroyer. His main role in the plot is towing Han to Tattooine happens off-screen, unlike in The Mandalorian. It felt like Jango Fett had more on-screen action with Obi-Wan in Return of the Clones. All the alien designs in Jabba's palace are really cool.

Wrt Return of the Jedi, I had this weird moment when I was 14 where my dad openly wanted me to hate him to make me more like him because he saw his anger as a personality characteristic, he'd yell and I'd yell back louder, back before my mom and I checked into a shelter, but we became better people than that. On the day that he passed, my half-brother showed up after not speaking to him for 20 years to reconcile. The funniest moment in the movie was when Han Solo was kept interrupting C-3PO talking to the Ewoks with more things to translate. I'm going to start on Book of Boba Fett next

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

galenanorth posted:

I re-watched the original trilogy last weekend in so long it might as well have been the first time. The Boba Fett scenes were underwhelming compared to how much they're hyped. In Return of the Jedi, Vader does all the work on Bespin and Boba Fett isn't really any more useful than anyone else, like the assassin droid, in the rogues gallery on Vader's star destroyer. His main role in the plot is towing Han to Tattooine happens off-screen, unlike in The Mandalorian. It felt like Jango Fett had more on-screen action with Obi-Wan in Return of the Clones. All the alien designs in Jabba's palace are really cool.

He's the guy who outsmarted Han and followed him to Bespin in the first place though, the entire third act doesn't happen unless Fett anticipated the "float off with the garbage" maneuver

I think the cool armor design did most of the heavy lifting, but he also helped earned his rep by being the only guy to sass Vader and live

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerkface posted:

Honestly, I think Mando will be more likely to fall in with Sabine's group. Boba doesn't really give a poo poo about Mandalore the planet. He doesn't want to reclaim something old. He wants to build something new. Maybe eventually Tatooine will become a new Mandalore in his mind.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robot Style posted:

It is a lousy theory. You can't draw such vast conclusions from watching the events of scattered days in the lives of soldiers and adventurers. I bet you could draw the same conclusion from a WWII movie, yet the non Soviet European militaries were drawn from populations with literacy rates over 95 percent.

You never see a human go to the bathroom either, so apparently no one poops.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sash! posted:

It is a lousy theory. You can't draw such vast conclusions from watching the events of scattered days in the lives of soldiers and adventurers. I bet you could draw the same conclusion from a WWII movie, yet the non Soviet European militaries were drawn from populations with literacy rates over 95 percent.

It's also disproven by some of the extended universe stuff that is now apart of legends. Some planet that was super rich and sophisticated had all their knowledge stored in actual books, and Luke was shocked by this.

gently caress, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in the EU, but there was good stuff too. Honestly the young jedi knight academy books, even some of the Vong poo poo was at the very least cool. A lot of it could even be good if it was given another pass or two, and a lot of those characters rocked.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I really enjoyed Mandalorean Season 3 Episode 1

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh I misunderstood. Yea I think that's his eventual character arc: chilling out a bit. But for now he's still all aboard team helmet.

I think that'll be the big signifier of his arc. He's already shown he'll take it off to get to Grogu. Boba's team doesn't give a poo poo if he decides to wear the helmet all the time, Mando is a pretty badass fighter/bounty hunter. The difference will be that it's his choice to wear the helmet almost all the time, maybe he'll take it off only with people he trusts completely like Grogu and Boba.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Robot Style posted:

This is the stupidest loving thing that's been posted in any Star Wars thread.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Panfilo posted:

LMAO yeah "get rekt Paz" *kicks helmet into space, zips away with jetpack*

This fuckin guy under there

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sash! posted:

If I flicked Ryan Britt in the eye with my pinky, he'd probably declare humanity only ever naturally had one eye and the presence of 3D vision was a myth.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

ApeHawk posted:

I really enjoyed Mandalorean Episode 1: The Phantom Podracer

Fixed that for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Holy poo poo this whole episode was incredible. Just wildly better than the sequel trilogy. I kind of wish there were even more weapons on mando. The droid looking on in disbelief as he hands him another key because the first box is full.