Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

When it's plugged in like that do you see the charging battery icon, or does it say Not Charging? Any lint or gunk in the port? A lot of times those are Wall Wart-Cable-Port issues.

ipadOS could be hosed too, worth trying an iTunes/Finder restore and setting it up as new to check the charging before restoring a backup.

japtor posted:

Saw that on my previous iPad once. Restarted and tried a different cable and it was fine since. And the old cable (which I thought maybe my friend’s cat messed with) still worked fine I think? Or maybe not I forget. But basically restart and try a different cable and charger.

I use the same brick and cable (both official) that I plug my MacBook Pro into to charge the iPad Pro and the MacBook doesn’t have any issues. Cable looks fine but I just swapped the ends and rebooted my iPad and it charges now? I keep forgetting to check the battery health when I’m using my Mac. It doesn’t look like there’s any lint in the port but I don’t have any wooden things to dig around but that’s on my todo list.

Only thing I can think of it that night it didn’t charge I laid the iPad on top of the Smart Keyboard folio and maybe the magnets did something funky. I dunno, I’ll clean out the port and keep an eye on if it happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Trip report on the Combo Touch after using it for about a week now. I really like it, and it does a great job of covering my needs from typing on the desk to swapping between keyboard typing and portrait mode on the couch. The keyboard and trackpad aren't as amazing as the Magic Keyboard, but they're still good enough that I could see working on them for extended periods of time if/when I travel again. The option to get it all out of the way quickly is really nice and is what puts it over the edge in terms of usefulness. The added protection is a plus, as well. My main gripe with it is there's no real way to secure the pencil when you're carrying the iPad around, and I've had it fly off a couple times while opening it up, but that's also a problem with the Magic Keyboard.

I think if you're going for a true laptop replacement, the Magic Keyboard is the better buy. But if you have mixed use cases the Combo Touch is a better option.

Pros:
  • Keyboard and trackpad are solid but not spectacular. Still beats the Smart Keyboard Folio by a large margin.
  • The trackpad is huge. Huge to the point that I hit it sometimes while typing and haven't figured out how to have the iPad ignore it when I do so.
  • It converts to a regular iPad case when you want it to by flipping the keyboard around. It just closes behind the iPad and deactivates the keyboard.
  • Side protection is nice.
  • Function keys on the keyboard are cool. Not a must-have but now that they're there, I use them a lot.
  • It uses the Smart Connector to power itself, so no need to charge the thing.
Cons:
  • The keyboard and trackpad aren't as solid as the Magic Keyboard, but that's almost an unfair comparison since the Magic Keyboard is better than the keyboard on my 2019 Macbook Pro.
  • The extra protection adds weight, which is a tradeoff.
  • The kickstand it has to adjust the viewing angle seems flimsy and I worry about its longevity. It does provide more viewing angles than the Magic Keyboard, but doesn't have the forward tilt for bed viewing.
  • No way to secure the pencil.
  • The kickstand adds footprint to the whole setup, which makes it less feasible to just type away on your actual lap. I offset this by just laying it in front of me on the couch when I need to type there, but setting it on your legs and typing was barely doable and I'm 5'11".
  • No pass-through charging with its own USB-C port. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but I could see someone missing it if they use the iPad as a laptop replacement.

All in all I'm gonna sell the Magic Keyboard, I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The one big thing that you didn’t consider is that if you have AppleCare on the iPad accidental damage coverage for one Apple keyboard is included. So if you’re a klutz like me that’s almost guaranteed to dump water on the thing at some point, the value tips way more in favor of the Magic Keyboard overall.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is this a good time to buy an iPad or are we waiting on a new release soon? I have to upgrade my Air 2 because between the battery and 16 gb space it is quickly becoming unusable. I don’t need the newest model, just recommendations for the best, affordable one that I can read comics, stream video, and some gaming on. I’m mostly playing Apple Arcade games but have baldurs gate that I have been waiting to try.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loudog999 posted:

Is this a good time to buy an iPad or are we waiting on a new release soon? I have to upgrade my Air 2 because between the battery and 16 gb space it is quickly becoming unusable. I don’t need the newest model, just recommendations for the best, affordable one that I can read comics, stream video, and some gaming on. I’m mostly playing Apple Arcade games but have baldurs gate that I have been waiting to try.

The recent Air is a great, great buy and was recently refreshed. Go right ahead and pick it up if you’re in that price range, you won’t regret it.

e: i was incorrect the last refreshes were for the no adjectives iPad and the iPad mini and the Air is a bit long in the tooth but it’s still a pretty great buy. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad-Air

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 26, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lately they only announce new pro's in the spring. All the other iPads happen in the fall. So if you're not planning on getting a pro, buy whatever they have right now and you'll be happy.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ok thanks, so the Air is the way to go over the cheaper base one and mini? Not sure how comics would look on the mini so that was probably not an option regardless. Also, I just looked it up and didn’t realize I’ve had this one since 2014. I would say that I got my money out of it and hope whatever I buy lasts a similar time.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The most recent Air is not very recent, more expensive, and weaker than the newer iPad Mini. Why do people keep suggesting it? It's literally the "one not to buy right now".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think the base or pro is the way to go right now. Base for best price, Pro for best features/power. Mini if you have a small or older phone or need a smaller form factor just for reading or travel or bed/couch use, but you're paying a big premium for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

anothergod posted:

The most recent Air is not very recent, more expensive, and weaker than the newer iPad Mini. Why do people keep suggesting it? It's literally the "one not to buy right now".

Because not everyone wants the mini?

The air has gone a bit without a refresh but it’s very far from bad.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m glad I checked again before I placed my order. Ended up getting a base ordered from Costco for $10 cheaper than the Apple Store. For some reason my estimated delivery date from Apple was the end of March, Costco has it here on Jan 31. Thanks again for the help.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Not sure, but it seems like the new Air might be in the spring and the new Pros might be in the fall. Just based on some random articles I read and the Macrumors buying guide.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The air has gone a bit without a refresh but it’s very far from bad.

The regular iPad will do all couch tableting you need for $300 cheaper. The 11" iPad Pro is actually good enough to do pro work. And the iPad Mini is faster and is a better format for games, note taking, and book reading. I don't see a use case where the iPad Air has an edge especially at $600

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you don’t want a mini, don’t want to pay for a pro, but want more performance than the base iPad?

Everyone’s arguments against the air seem to be based around the assumption that everyone wants a mini sized iPad

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

anothergod posted:

And the iPad Mini is faster and is a better format for games, note taking, and book reading.

the only one you can even argue here is reading. full size is easily better for notes and games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

the only one you can even argue here is reading. full size is easily better for notes and games.

and by book reading you've got to mean single pages of books smaller than letter size, for full letter pages or spreads you want the bigger size (or to be reading epubs that reflow or something like that)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For me the ipad mini sits in a weird sort of spot between a phone and a full sized tablet where I just don't see a reason for it. The only thing the form factor really excels at is reading books, and it's not even the best at that. A full-sized tablet is going to be better for reading PDFs or comics or other things with preset page sizes, and an e-ink reader is always going to be the better choice for reading epubs and the like.

For everything else, it's either a case of "The extra size is nice, I guess, but I could just use my phone and save the money" or "It works okay, I guess, but a full sized tablet would really be more convenient."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It would be a killer device at $200 like my first Gen one I got on sale. At 500+ it’s kinda ridiculous.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Holding the bigger Air/Pro iPads just doesn't work for me for notes. They're just too heavy and big to comfortably hold with one hand, and for me that's the key. Maybe you're the person that leaves your device on a table and adjusts to your screen, but I found that with the Pencil 2/finger workflow I zoom/pinch/markup as much as I adjust with my left hand. A lot of other students I know felt the same way.

Re: gaming, I think a lot of people who game on iOS are actually using the iPad mini. Kotaku did an article about how the iPad mini is the best iOS gaming device. A lot of it has to do with the form factor and size. Essentially the iPad Mini is the closest to a Vita or a Switch. iPhone apps scale up well to the mini's screen whereas the inputs (and literal weight) get unwieldy on 10+ inch screens. Maybe if you're doing point & click games or strategy games? IDK. YMMV.

Edit: I’d love to see data on that vvv

anothergod fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 27, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

anothergod posted:

Re: gaming, I think a lot of people who game on iOS are actually using the iPad mini.

Apple has metrics on this and given how little love the Mini receives compared to other models, I highly doubt this is the case.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is a lot of hoop jumping to justify why you shouldn’t buy an Air, when in fact you should buy an air if you want an air.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Someone was asking for advice and my advice was get an iPad that fits your usecase. If your usecase is "I need more than the poor version but not as much as the pro version" then yeah. If you want me to not make fun of that then, well, you gotta be more specific of what the extra $300 does for the Air.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think if you want a Mini you should buy one. I think if you want an Air, you should buy one. Who gives a poo poo if it takes five years to start feeling a little slower than you'd like versus six? They're already way overpowered for pretty much 90% of what people do with iPads and are more restricted by the software than the hardware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

anothergod posted:

Someone was asking for advice and my advice was get an iPad that fits your usecase. If your usecase is "I need more than the poor version but not as much as the pro version" then yeah. If you want me to not make fun of that then, well, you gotta be more specific of what the extra $300 does for the Air.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When you don’t want a mini, don’t want to pay for a pro, but want more performance than the base iPad?

Everyone’s arguments against the air seem to be based around the assumption that everyone wants a mini sized iPad

This isnt super hard

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What does the iPad Air do over the regular iPad? Is that worth $300? Lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

it's worth the $300 to rustle your jimmies for sure

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Rustled jimmies in this thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

anothergod posted:

Tim Cook is loving us again by re-releasing the base model ipad with a different name and expecting us to cough up $300 for it.

Incredibly shameful, Tim.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

anothergod posted:

Better display, better SOC, Better WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, Pencil 2nd Gen support, USB-C.

Might not be worth $300 to you, but to some, it might be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
You can probably find the Air on sale in a lot of places too.

Personally, for the price difference I would do the 11” just for the refresh rate alone, but as others have said, nothing wrong with the Air.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New or refreshed air is likely around the corner and some people don’t like buying the old thing when new thing is coming soon

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CygnusTM posted:

Better display, better SOC, Better WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, Pencil 2nd Gen support, USB-C.

Might not be worth $300 to you, but to some, it might be.

Also speakers on both sides. Most of the time I use airpods now because this bugs me so much, even just sitting by myself at home. The base iPad is still the better value in my opinion but there are definitely tradeoffs.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Also speakers on both sides. Most of the time I use airpods now because this bugs me so much, even just sitting by myself at home. The base iPad is still the better value in my opinion but there are definitely tradeoffs.

I think the savings is worth it for what I plan on using it for. My gaming is going to be Apple Arcade and maybe streaming either from Xbox or geforce now, both using a controller. The main thing for me was always going to be comics since Im subscribed to both the DC and Marvel service, so the extra screen space was what sold it. Couldn’t justify the price for the air, and especially pro, for any of those. Just like every other phone/tablet I’ve owned it will also spend a majority of its time lurking these here forums, don’t need any fancier display or speakers for that. And if a new air comes out soon that I want, this will defiantly have a higher resell value than my air 2. I was quoted $90 from Best Buy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loudog999 posted:

I think the savings is worth it for what I plan on using it for. My gaming is going to be Apple Arcade and maybe streaming either from Xbox or geforce now, both using a controller. The main thing for me was always going to be comics since Im subscribed to both the DC and Marvel service, so the extra screen space was what sold it. Couldn’t justify the price for the air, and especially pro, for any of those. Just like every other phone/tablet I’ve owned it will also spend a majority of its time lurking these here forums, don’t need any fancier display or speakers for that. And if a new air comes out soon that I want, this will defiantly have a higher resell value than my air 2. I was quoted $90 from Best Buy.

I don't know how super justifiable it is but I can tell you one thing - full spreads or weird panel arrangements look GREAT on the 12.9" pro

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Arivia posted:

I don't know how super justifiable it is but I can tell you one thing - full spreads or weird panel arrangements look GREAT on the 12.9" pro

I see it the same way a guy I knew in college treated beer. He would only drink natural light, no matter what we offered or how many times we explained how poo poo what he was drinking was, he would stick to it. His explanation was that if he ever tried something better he wouldn’t be able to go back to natty and would end up spending more money. Standard size iPads are my natty light and as long as I don’t experience the bigger better screens I can be happy sticking to what I have.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loudog999 posted:

I see it the same way a guy I knew in college treated beer. He would only drink natural light, no matter what we offered or how many times we explained how poo poo what he was drinking was, he would stick to it. His explanation was that if he ever tried something better he wouldn’t be able to go back to natty and would end up spending more money. Standard size iPads are my natty light and as long as I don’t experience the bigger better screens I can be happy sticking to what I have.

That very much makes sense. I bought my iPad Pro as a laptop replacement but I’m still happy with my 1080p60 desktop screens.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Doesn't the air have the laminated display and the base iPad doesn't? That's kind of a big deal right there. Is it worth $300? Look into your heart and your wallet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The laminated screen does look and feel amazing. I love my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 inch just because of that, and I'm sad the battery is wearing out :( Not sure if I can afford to upgrade right now though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

The laminated screen does look and feel amazing. I love my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 inch just because of that, and I'm sad the battery is wearing out :( Not sure if I can afford to upgrade right now though.

pay apple for a battery replacement maybe? that'd be much cheaper hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apple will still replace the battery won’t they? It’s just $100 in the US at least