Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

That seems like a good way to assure Reaper gets played over Dragoon 100% of the time

yeah but dragoon will be fun again, to me, a madman

also, in this dream rework, the numbers are like, really big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

but the second WT/F&C is predictable, so it isn't that bad. You'll always know which one the second hit will be long before you need to press it. It's the first one you'll scramble for

the reason why it's annoying is because if you need to use a jump after that third gcd, you're animation locked, so you either miss the follow-up positional due to not being able to preposition for it, delay the follow up gcd until you reposition and lose the damage that way, delay the jump and lose the damage there, or just roll the dice and get lucky

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
jumping at the exact back corner of the boss to minimize positional movement was a valuable skill in hw dragoon and hell, I'm ready to re-learn it

none of the jumps even have bad animation lock anymore

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
good news! you dont have to gently caress around with settings when transferring DCs. also i'm drowning in exp i went from 20 to 50 in like 3 hours (i know its not the fastest but my friend hasn't healed in a long time)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

We lost one of our static members recently and haven’t managed to find a replacement, so trying to cast the net wide. If you are on the Chaos DC (and aren’t in PCD), fancy doing some Savages and can playa healer or caster DPS, let me know.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah, I've considered it. I'm not real sure how to go about getting into a larger one and the ever churning pile of fresh ones trying to recruit feels weird.

i don't like to game with goons after some experiences in the wow days but it's pretty easy to find good active larger FCs via FF14's community finder - https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/community_finder/

just select free companies and you can read about the ones that are recruiting, what they are about, their size, etc etc, most of the bigger ones have their own websites/discords and if they are larger + been around for awhile they know how to recruit/welcome new members

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

who the gently caress is screaming "DO POSITIONALS" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never do positionals

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Oxyclean posted:

who the gently caress is screaming "DO POSITIONALS" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never do positionals

I can't remember how to do suiton every time, I'm trying!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

any time i pop Enshroud you KNOW im popping True North.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zeruel posted:

any time i pop Enshroud you KNOW im popping True North.
I thought the swapped abilities in Enshroud don't need postions?

But I sure do pop True North when I use Gluttony.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I thought the swapped abilities in Enshroud don't need postions?

Wait -

gently caress!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
more like fake north

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

my brain fix for remembering positionals (post-EW, when every non-Dragoon class was reduced to two) was to put them right next to each other and always on the same pair of buttons, specifically 3 and shift+3. That way whenever I'm getting to that part of the combo I just have 3 = flank, shift+3 = rear.

Zeruel posted:

Wait -
gently caress!

lmao

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why am I doing positionals I thought this was finals fantasies not THE KAMASUTRA HAHAHAHAHAHA

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Wait -

gently caress!

I, too, have been using these as positionals.

gently caress

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

and that's why you always read your tooltips!

Granted it wasn't really hurting you in this situation.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It took me like a full year to unlearn impulse drive being a rear hit. Positionals are in my blood. My static watching in horror as I go all the way inside the boss to hit one as the two tanks take cleaving busters outside it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On Reaper I just pop True North every time I use the two-stack move. It has basically the same cooldown and it isn't like I need it for anything else.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Wait -

gently caress!

lmfao

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

:negative: your prediction was accurate. Betrayed again...

I'll get you next week, Khloe!!!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've been levelling Ninja and enjoying it and I think it'll be my new 'main' melee DPS, replacing Samurai. I've gotten it all the way up to 82.

I gotta say though, this opener just gets more and more cursed after 72. Just like ten seconds straight of fiddling with mudras and oGCDs.
"Are you gonna stab the boss?"
"Yeah just let me spend a while being a wizard with more elements than red mage first."

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Spoiler: they didn't get Khloe next week either

Mad Wack posted:

i don't like to game with goons after some experiences in the wow days but it's pretty easy to find good active larger FCs via FF14's community finder - https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/community_finder/

just select free companies and you can read about the ones that are recruiting, what they are about, their size, etc etc, most of the bigger ones have their own websites/discords and if they are larger + been around for awhile they know how to recruit/welcome new members

thanks, I knew something like this existed but had no idea where

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 27, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

bewilderment posted:

"Are you gonna stab the boss?"
"Yeah just let me spend a while being a wizard with more elements than red mage first."
For better or worse, Ninja's history in Final Fantasy has always been "Thief-adjacent, throws stuff for big damage, often dual-wields, frequently uses some low-end elemental magic or the equivalent in a variant system, and has some defense tricks." That's all in XIV in various ways and only XI really went wild with that last point. We just ended up with more of a caster hybrid than the usual FF Ninja because it's part of the core rotation of the job and scales to endgame without using hard-to-replenish resources which historically has been a bit of an issue for Ninjutsu :v:.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

It took me like a full year to unlearn impulse drive being a rear hit. Positionals are in my blood. My static watching in horror as I go all the way inside the boss to hit one as the two tanks take cleaving busters outside it

At least Dragoon's rotation can be divided into a flank half and a rear half and who cares if something doesn't need it you're not wobbling just for that move. I just picked up Reaper and I don't get the rhythm yet and I can't tell if later abilities augment the current stuff or replace it because everything talks about having stacks of meters that don't exist for me yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

At least Dragoon's rotation can be divided into a flank half and a rear half and who cares if something doesn't need it you're not wobbling just for that move. I just picked up Reaper and I don't get the rhythm yet and I can't tell if later abilities augment the current stuff or replace it because everything talks about having stacks of meters that don't exist for me yet.

Pretty much everything Reaper gets just builds off what it starts with in a really natural way.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hogama posted:

For better or worse, Ninja's history in Final Fantasy has always been "Thief-adjacent, throws stuff for big damage, often dual-wields, frequently uses some low-end elemental magic or the equivalent in a variant system, and has some defense tricks." That's all in XIV in various ways and only XI really went wild with that last point. We just ended up with more of a caster hybrid than the usual FF Ninja because it's part of the core rotation of the job and scales to endgame without using hard-to-replenish resources which historically has been a bit of an issue for Ninjutsu :v:.

I totally get that chucking lightning and summoning frogs has been a part of ninja stuff for a long time, from Jiraiya all the way through to Naruto.
Just feels a bit weird that at least for a normie non-raider like me, the optimal opening is spending a whole lot of ogcds and mudras before you're allowed to start hitting 1 2 3.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ninja has like 6 buttons that involve stabbing (4 gcds and 2 ogcds), the rest is all ninja magic.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Positionals are in my《blood of the dragon》

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Spoiler: they didn't get Khloe next week ever

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bruceski posted:

you 1-2-3 to build meter 1

Spend meter 1 to use OGCD and [positional], builds meter 2

use meter 2 to go super saiyan and burst out super [positional]s, which gives ticks for super version of OGCD and a big finisher.

most of them just map over existing moves so it makes more sense once you get them.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

super positionals do not exist, we just went over this a couple of posts back lol.

Tbf it took me like a week to figure it out myself because I eventually thought "positionals on 1s GCD seems sort of bullshit" and decided to read my skills.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Man, P4S door boss' gimmick of "pay attention to which attack DOESN'T hit you" is some bullshit. Since my brain is wired to think the exact opposite way to decide how to resolve a mechanic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Reaper’s rhythm didn’t make any sense to me until I got Gluttony and even then it didn’t REALLY make sense until Enshroud at 80.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Reaper’s rhythm didn’t make any sense to me until I got Gluttony and even then it didn’t REALLY make sense until Enshroud at 80.

It doesn't really have a rhythm until you get Enshroud. You just go builders, spender, loop until target is dead.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Speaking of rhythm, what is DNC opener supposed to look like after 83? The fact that you get a button right after technical step to put up your two step dance's effects has me confused as to when I should be pressing the two step button.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I kept feeling like I was missing something before then, but no it really is insanely simple before 80. It's definitely one of those classes that feels terrible to sync down, I did a Syrcus with reaper one time and it was a total snooze. Practically like going to Sastasha.

I couldn't wrap my head around the rotation at all before actually playing it, even though I saw a bunch of videos and read a bunch of stuff about it. So I think you just have to wait until you get the abilities to figure it out. Once you see how stuff fits together, it feels great. One of the most fun classes at level 90.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Leraika posted:

Speaking of rhythm, what is DNC opener supposed to look like after 83? The fact that you get a button right after technical step to put up your two step dance's effects has me confused as to when I should be pressing the two step button.

I usually do standard -> technical -> devilment -> etc, because you want to a) get the standard buff up for your dance partner ASAP and b) have it up for yourself when have your biggest hit (technical finish).

KoB
May 1, 2009

Algid posted:

super positionals do not exist, we just went over this a couple of posts back lol.

theyre the same attacks, but super. thats all i meant

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leraika posted:

At 90 for stuff where you want a countdown timer. Without a countdown timer just do the same thing without the waiting. You won't get a standard step during your burst phase but you won't be in content where it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Thanks a bunch!