Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I usually like the play the fast agile classes so I am thinking either Deathblade or Gunslinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Looking forward to the Gunlancing. I'm trying not to spoil this game for myself, just reading up the class basics to decide what direction to go. It looks like a Diablo game, but then the boss fights I've watched look surprisingly similar to a top-down Monster Hunter hunt.

I'm stoked.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Torn between Gunlancer and Scrapper. The latter looks like a lot of fun but I also enjoyed tanking way more than being dps back in WoW so might go that route again at least for a main.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Zet posted:

Are there classes that can do short 'shadowstep' teleports or put down a portal for friendlies to go through? Most of the videos I've seen you just go into a pack of mobs and then come out the other side.

Reaper has shadowsteps and other rogue sneakiness but that class wont be in at NA/EU release

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Similarly, the new artist class has an interactable portal, but also won’t be in for launch

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I've decided to just roll dice on game start, and let the RNGods pick my starting class.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Chocobo posted:

Looking forward to the Gunlancing. I'm trying not to spoil this game for myself, just reading up the class basics to decide what direction to go. It looks like a Diablo game, but then the boss fights I've watched look surprisingly similar to a top-down Monster Hunter hunt.

I'm stoked.

It is very much an MMO in terms of progression, but from that isometric perspective. Guardian raids are 'literally' monster hunter fights, you track the boss down, you have 3 lives, limited healing, and you have to watch the boss for tells instead of looking for floor telegraphs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a pretty decent video on why it’s important to be in a guild.

https://youtu.be/r3va80ctibg

Really sucks that the limit starts at 30 but it does slowly increase.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
there seems to be enough of us around to help out with a second guild until we can get everyone's main into one. i am at work and can't watch that video - but what are the requirements to increase the guild limit cap?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

there seems to be enough of us around to help out with a second guild until we can get everyone's main into one. i am at work and can't watch that video - but what are the requirements to increase the guild limit cap?

Time and guild exp.

Doing guild quests increases the guild level but I’m sure even with 30 people poop socking it’s probably somewhat time gated.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Isnt that all level limited until cap? As in, if you're level 20 you can't benefit from doing guild quests until 50. I suppose you can still donate resources though?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Starting guild cap is annoying but it’s not a big deal as long as I’m in the first wave of invites

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Jan update, more notes expected to be posted this week from what one of the community people said earlier this week.

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/january-2022-team-update

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Putting T3 in at launch is silly. Why dump everything out at once when you have a backlog of stuff that you can drip feed to fight one of the big issues with MMOs and thats not much endgame and waiting for content.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

This is changing my launch plans dramatically.

I can see why they did T3 at release TBH. T1 and arguably T2 didn't have enough true content to keep the initial streamer hype train going for 4-8 weeks.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
oof. not the news i was hoping for. what a bummer. :(

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have no idea what any of that means.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Haven't read the news yet but using terms T1 and T3. It sounds like they are going to start off the western launch of Lost Ark at a later patch that the original launch?

That sounds good, but hopefully they don't run out of content or accelerate too quickly. I've seen that kill gacha games in the past.

Since I plan to play only casually I'll help with the west coast guild, but it sounds like most will be playing on east coast server.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Can any experienced player explain why this matters? Unless this additional content completely invalidates older stuff (that would suck) I can't really think of an issue - it's just more content, you'll get there when you get there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Zotix posted:

This is changing my launch plans dramatically.

I can see why they did T3 at release TBH. T1 and arguably T2 didn't have enough true content to keep the initial streamer hype train going for 4-8 weeks.

The streamer hype train is vastly overrated for holding an audience, and they’re gonna run the risk of more people bouncing off the same way people noped out of shadowlands in wow due to a giant mess of chores you have to keep up with right from the get-go.

Like, rich still maintains a huge audience and all that dude does is talk for half an hour between msq lines in ff. The streamers will figure their own poo poo out.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Fate Accomplice posted:

I have no idea what any of that means.

Tyberius posted:

Haven't read the news yet but using terms T1 and T3. It sounds like they are going to start off the western launch of Lost Ark at a later patch that the original launch?

That sounds good, but hopefully they don't run out of content or accelerate too quickly. I've seen that kill gacha games in the past.

Since I plan to play only casually I'll help with the west coast guild, but it sounds like most will be playing on east coast server.

The post-leveling content needs you to be at a certain gear score to challenge, which is divided into Tiers 1, 2, and 3. Tier 1 is pretty easy to achieve, but the higher tiers require a lot more effort to reach. Initially we thought things would be relatively chill at launch since you could only advance so far, but now this heavily encourages locking in a favored main class early and fully having the grind treadmill from the word go on a series of supporting alternate classes in reaching the higher level content faster. The alternative is potentially getting left behind when other players blitz content, leaving the earlier tiers with fewer people participating in Tier 1/2 content.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 27, 2022

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jossar posted:

The alternative is potentially getting left behind when other players blitz content, leaving the earlier tiers with fewer people participating in Tier 1/2 content.

I appreciate the explanation, and none of what you said sounded bad till I got to this part.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Also we're not getting all the classes available at launch and some of us want to main ones not out yet. Launching t3 at start means we will have to level up other classes and be a bit behind once classes we want to play are launched.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
here is a decent guide that shows the gearing path up through T3: https://papunika.com/growth-guide/

i think the majority of us were hoping for T1/T2 at most for launch to space out all of the content (and give time for unreleased classes to unlock), so we will have to see what all will be available from T3 immediately. it’s very vague from the announcement as “only get their feet wet.”

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Well that hurts my hype a bit

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

There’s gonna be enough people playing that it won’t matter what anyone else’s progression is

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
definitely don’t let it hurt your hype! we have lots of people prepping to play together. the content of T1/T2 is still important, so we will definitely be running everything. plus, i’m sure the poopsocking streamers and such will have new guides out by the time the normal rush of people get through the content.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It probably won't be as bad as B&S was at launch where your work was invalidated week to week

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What are the required/maximum group sizes for endgame content? Is this something you could basically perma-group like FFXIV or WoW?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

What are the required/maximum group sizes for endgame content? Is this something you could basically perma-group like FFXIV or WoW?

4-8 mans most commonly, very easy to get a static rolling.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

As long as we don’t get some weird situation where you can’t get to t3 because nobody is running t1/2 content it’ll be whatever, but it’s gonna be rough for people who wanted to main stuff in t3 that isn’t going to be in at launch.

I think there is value in not dumping the mountain people have to climb immediately at launch, because it might be a lot, but who knows if it’ll be more damaging either way.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As long as we don’t get some weird situation where you can’t get to t3 because nobody is running t1/2 content it’ll be whatever, but it’s gonna be rough for people who wanted to main stuff in t3 that isn’t going to be in at launch.

I think there is value in not dumping the mountain people have to climb immediately at launch, because it might be a lot, but who knows if it’ll be more damaging either way.

If this is a problem, it wouldn't be for a year. Too many people are going to be rolling alts trying to figure out mains and such. Not to mention you can cross server play for end-game content.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I don't think it'll be a huge issue, most of the doom and gloom is probably from streamers who wanted more content to milk or now suddenly have a lot more work to do.

Either way, looks like we'll get the first look at the northern lawmaker set tomorrow: https://twitter.com/LostArkive/status/1486474075375640581?s=20

That fansite seems to be working with smg to make a model viewer that they're revealing tomorrow:

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Zotix posted:

Not to mention you can cross server play for end-game content.

Oh, I hadn’t heard this. That is nice.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

so true

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm not really fussed about starting with more content. It sounds like the "true" launch experience was not particularly great in the first place and the lack of things to do contributed to the game's early struggles in Korea. We were already going to be getting a weird franken-version of the game mixing old and new stuff, so this is whatever. It also seems like this is a change motivated by Smilegate themselves rather than some scheme by Amazon, and people seem to have some good faith and trust built up for them.

This is egg on the face for youtubers who wasted time making endgame guides for a paradigm that will never exist, and maybe people who have been vibrating with anticipation for weeks and watched all of those videos. It's probably overall a good thing for most other people.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
yeah, now that i have slept on the news, i am excited! i still feel really bad for those who want to main a class that is not released; we will just have to help each other when they come out to get caught up. :)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah it's overall a good thing. There's only two downsides that I can see.

1) with launching with only two, we had plenty of time to do the horizontal progression stuff which now will put a strain on the more casual players.

2) we are getting this Frankenstein hybrid client, that may be problematic especially if there's a delay on pushing patches from Smilegate to Amazon to address issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008