Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You're misinterpreting a search for the scope of intelligence influence for a fixation.

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1402975998447165446

It shouldn't be controversial that mass media has material effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Canada thread had some great posts a couple days ago about Canada's version of Operation Paperclip. Instead of rocket scientists, Canada recruited Ukrainian Waffen-SS members to destroy the communist movement among Ukrainians in Western Canada.

Frosted Flake posted:

Incredible. I’m shocked we aren’t paying their pensions - the German government declared the SS a criminal organization postwar and refused to continue their pensions, unlike the Wehrmacht. It seems only fair that Everyday, Middle Class Canadians step up to support these patriots.

lol loving unreal that we had the court step in to protect 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS :

“The Galicia Division (14. Waffen grenadier division der SS [gal. #1]) should not be indicted as a group. The members of Galicia Division were individually screened for security purposes before admission to Canada. Charges of war crimes of Galicia Division have never been substantiated, either in 1950 when they were first preferred, or in 1984 when they were renewed, or before this Commission. Further, in the absence of evidence of participation or knowledge of specific war crimes, mere membership in the Galicia Division is insufficient to justify prosecution.”

“The commission considered the International Military Tribunal's verdict at the Nuremberg Trials, at which the entire Waffen-SS organisation was declared a "criminal organization" guilty of war crimes.Also, in its conclusion, the Deschênes Commission only referred to the division as 14. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (Galizische Nr.1) but rejected such a principle.”

Predictably, our resident Nazis have latched onto this.

What a bullshit, Mickey Mouse country. 12th SS massacres Canadians in Normandy wholesale, Canadians come across all sorts of civilians murdered by the SS in the Netherlands, but a Canadian court rules that membership in 14th SS somehow doesn’t count as a criminal organization, as established at Nuremberg.

This loving country.

Frosted Flake posted:

From the Findings and Recommendations:

1 - Shortly after World War II, trials were held in Europe for crimes committed against members of the Canadian Armed Forces: four trials involving seven accused were held by the Canadian Forces; at least six other trials involving 28 accused were held by the British Forces on behalf of Canada.

2- In 1948 a stop was put to war crimes trials as a result of a secret suggestion made by the United Kingdom to seven "Dominions", to which Canada responded that it had "no comment to make".

3- The matter of war crimes officially lay dormant in Canada for a third of a century when it was reactivated mainly at the initiative of then Solicitor General, Honourable Robert P. Kaplan, P.C.

4- Canadian policy on war crimes during that long period was not worse than that of several Western countries which displayed an equal lack of interest.

This explains how we, and Australia ended up with them. We made a loving secret deal in 1948 to Paperclip loving collaborators and SS Men. Goddamn.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Yeah, so the question should be "how broad was their influence, really?" not "can you believe they controlled everything even 100% of the music???"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Futanari Damacy posted:

Here's a wild take- maybe the country founded on racist enslavement was always going to be poo poo. I keep forgetting how good everything was going in the 10-15 years before Jim Morrison stepped onto the scene

It's so weird to have leftist politics and hate your own countrymen. There is no inevitability! The ruling class are not loving Gods. The suppression of labor and communism creates the attitudes you disdain, not the other way around. One of many reasons why revolution is liberation.

"The ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas, i.e. the class which is the ruling material force of society, is at the same time its ruling intellectual force. The class which has the means of material production at its disposal, has control at the same time over the means of mental production, so that thereby, generally speaking, the ideas of those who lack the means of mental production are subject to it. The ruling ideas are nothing more than the ideal expression of the dominant material relationships, the dominant material relationships grasped as ideas."

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah, so the question should be "how broad was their influence, really?" not "can you believe they controlled everything even 100% of the music???"

Thread regulars know the former is implied and no one has stated or even implied the latter.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I mean genuine leftist movements of the era loving hated the hippies, the mealy mouthed non confrontational pablum and making GBS threads up everywhere they went with drugs and garbage behaviors was a real problem. And hey, guess what, the hippy movement eventually supplanted most leftist orgs in this country with their tune in drop out libertarian poo poo

It's weird that a lot of that poo poo got promoted by major labels and producers all at the same time in an era where the green beret song was a massive number 1 hit

GIRL BRAINS has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jan 26, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

you forget that the base (pop music) determines the superstructure (politics)

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
the reactionary classes are not blameless in their choosing to side with the forces of reaction.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The most harmless parts of a movement will always get amplified by the media. The state was happy to encourage hippies to do more drugs, while they were terrified of the Black Panthers and brutally cracked down on them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jes Staley pressed JPMorgan to keep Jeffrey Epstein as client
Retention efforts shed further light on relationship that later prompted Barclays chief to resign

https://www.ft.com/content/92d249fb-aa1f-49c1-93ab-9f46bf7b6bfd posted:

Jes Staley pressed JPMorgan Chase to keep Jeffrey Epstein as a client — despite the fact that the disgraced financier had been convicted of prostitution offences — before the bank cut him off as a customer in 2013, according to two people involved in the discussions.

Staley made the argument to other senior officials of the bank as JPMorgan examined whether Epstein’s conviction in 2008 of soliciting sex from a minor, which resulted in a 13-month prison sentence, was grounds to remove him as a client of its private bank, the people said.

Staley, then head of JPMorgan’s investment bank, argued during the year before the bank dropped Epstein as a client that he had served his sentence and paid his debt to society, one of the people said.

JPMorgan declined to comment. A spokesperson for Staley declined to comment.

Staley’s efforts to retain Epstein as a JPMorgan client shed further light on their relationship, which forced Staley to resign as chief executive of Barclays in November.

He stepped down after seeing preliminary conclusions of an investigation by UK regulators over whether he had mischaracterised his relationship with Epstein as purely professional. Staley is contesting the findings and is awaiting the results of his appeal.

The Financial Times recently reported that the UK inquiry uncovered 1,200 emails between the two men while Staley was at JPMorgan, with content that included unexplained terms such as “snow white”.

Staley worked at JPMorgan for more than 30 years. He developed ties with Epstein during the period when he was an executive at the bank’s asset management operations. Staley headed JPMorgan’s private bank from 1999 until 2001. He then took charge of the asset and wealth management division, which houses the private bank, from 2001 to 2009.

He was promoted to be head of the investment bank in 2009 and was serving in that role when the conversations to cut ties with Epstein were taking place. By that point, Mary Erdoes was running JPMorgan’s asset and wealth management division.

Staley left JPMorgan in January 2013, joining US hedge fund BlueMountain Capital. He became Barclays chief executive in 2015.

The decision by JPMorgan to cut ties with Epstein came amid increased pressure on US banks from regulators regarding their anti-money laundering controls, with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a banking regulator, identifying compliance deficiencies by JPMorgan in early 2013.

When Epstein’s relationship with JPMorgan ended in 2013, he became a client of Deutsche Bank’s wealth management business, the FT has reported.

Staley has said previously that his relationship with Epstein began to “taper off” after he left JPMorgan. However, just a few months before joining Barclays, Staley sailed his yacht to Epstein’s private Caribbean island.

Epstein died by suicide in 2019 while awaiting trial on charges that he sex-trafficked underage girls.

Additional reporting by Stephen Morris in London

what might Snow White be?? they sound too perverse for it to be drugs.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It's children, OP

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Ah yes, Americans- famously known for not being intrinsically complacent or apathetic. A people made of determination, gumption and grit- the only thing that can slow them down is *checks notes* Beach Boys' "Be True to your School"

Why do you think the CIA funded the Iowa’s Writers Workshop?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

So we're looping around to the Satanic Panic without a hint of irony? Is there a point other than "hippie music is devil music"?

Lol not even saying rock and roll or heavy metal is the devil. The loving Beach Boys? Come on man

lmao dude you're being so loving disingenuous

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Riot Bimbo posted:

lmao dude you're being so loving disingenuous

In this very thread there is a consensus essentially disavowing the events of Astroworld, but there's some statute of limitations where if we go back far enough everything gets to be an "op" unquestioned

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Futanari Damacy posted:

In this very thread there is a consensus essentially disavowing the events of Astroworld, but there's some statute of limitations where if we go back far enough everything gets to be an "op" unquestioned

lucifer didn't fall, he was pushed

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
you really think the Big Bang ignited itself?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You're questioning it right now, it's perfectly allowed. I don't know why you're acting like there were multiple posts talking about Satanism at Altamont when there never were?

Edit: Was one of your favs signed to Elektra or something?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Do you deny the CIA funded the Iowa's Writers Workshop and Abstract Expressionist?

If you don't deny that, then what do you think was their logic for doing so? And why wouldn't the CIA or similar groups apply that logic to music and musicians as well?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
talking about the music industry got me thinking about this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVthudlQagk

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
r/antiwork was an inside job

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Not just them but the beach boys, mommas and the pappas, Crosby stils nash and young, the birds, tons and tons beyond were totally studio jobs, and so many have military connections. David Crosby was a loving marine and probably involved in pre-war poo poo in Vietnam. Frank Zappas father was a chemical weapons developer for the military. It's actually insane how many chemical weapons guys ended up in laurel canyon right around the time LSD was getting big

Also i think it's Elektra or asylum records that supposedly had the charles manson song tapes back when he was trying to be a folk star

what the gently caress are you talking about? when was david crosby in the marines

you gotta read something other than dave mcgowan but i don't even think he would claim that david crosby was a marine

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Mola Yam posted:

r/antiwork was an inside job

most definitely

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

catch and kill all the potential labor agitators, associate them with the most hated site on the internet, suck all their energy into making memes

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the cia does churn out some bangers, tbqh

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

catch and kill all the potential labor agitators, associate them with the most hated site on the internet, suck all their energy into making memes

All while absent a vanguard or party that could actually alleviate the some of the burden of not having any loving income. It's definitely a psy-op cause the Great Resignation is just near-retirement age and post-retirement ages workers deciding to retire in the last couple years for gee whatever could be the reason. I definitely don't know anyone my age quitting their jobs and I've asked my peers if they know anyone quitting their jobs and no one does. If the 20-somethings are doing I have to ask how cause UI doesn't pay out for resignations and I sure as poo poo couldn't go without even my meager incomes when I was the same age.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/22/us/ghislaine-maxwell-john-does-whats-next/index.html

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

There was a lot of movement in office jobs. That is, a lot of boomer office drones and low to mid-level managers retired and it caused a lot of shakeups with that set. That led to a lot of younger office drones getting the next step up. And that led to a lot of people who had been working service or food jobs getting a 9 to 5. And that is why all those dipshit stores have the "please be kind to those who showed up" signs.

But it is heavily industry and location dependent. My company is hiring literally anyone who will show up to work on time and sober for semi-skilled jobs and is more than willing to train, but we're in an area with an unemployment rate around 2.3%.

(I know that's not real unemployment, just use the number for comparison)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

This is spicy as hell, ashamed I missed this

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/17/us/ghislaine-maxwell-john-does/index.html

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

global tetrahedron posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? when was david crosby in the marines

you gotta read something other than dave mcgowan but i don't even think he would claim that david crosby was a marine

My bad it was Steven Stills who was a military brat and later claimed to have served in vietnam

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Stones hired bikers to do security because ACAB. There’s a core of a good idea there, but……..

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Judge Paski burn it down they're gonna murk you anyways.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Why do you think the CIA funded the Iowa’s Writers Workshop?

Because it was funded through the Farfield Foundation, a CIA front group

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

holy gently caress

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

starting to think this kenneth guy is actually angry

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Chamale posted:

Canada thread had some great posts a couple days ago about Canada's version of Operation Paperclip. Instead of rocket scientists, Canada recruited Ukrainian Waffen-SS members to destroy the communist movement among Ukrainians in Western Canada.

'' posted:

Among the commanding officers of Waffen-SS
Galizien was also the Ukrainian-born Volksdeutsche SS-Hauptsturmführer
Heinrich Wiens, who had served with Einsatzgruppen D, which carried out
the annihilation of Jews, communists, and partisans in occupied eastern
Ukraine. Wiens personally took part in mass executions.60
Another officer of the Waffen-SS Galizien was SS-Obersturmbannführer Franz Magall,
who had been involved in atrocities in Belarus at the beginning of the
war.61 The Waffen-SS Galizien worked alongside one of the most brutal
counter-insurgency units of Nazi Germany, the dreaded SS-Sonderbattalion
Dirlewanger, a unit which included rapists, murderers, and the criminally
insane, which carried out brutal anti-partisan activities in Belarus and Poland,
and the no less brutal suppression of the Warsaw uprising in 1944.62
WaffenSS Galizien and Dirlewanger transferred officers between their units: Magall
had served in the SS-Sonderbattalion Dirlewanger before he was appointed
the chief supply officer of Waffen-SS Galizien on 2 March, 1944.

'' posted:

A 2003 investigation by the Polish Institute of
National Remembrance into the massacre concluded that:
the crime was committed by the 4th battalion of the 14th division on
February 28. On that day, early in the morning, soldiers of this division,
dressed in white, masking outfits, surrounded the village. The village was
cross-fired by artillery. SS-men of the 14th Division of the SS “Galizien”
entered the village, shooting the civilians rounded up at a church. The
civilians, mostly women and children, were divided and locked in barns
that were set on fire. Those who tried to run away were killed. Witnesses
interrogated by the prosecutors of the Head Commission described the
morbid details of the act. The crime was committed against women,
children, and newborn babies.74
In 2005, the Institute of History at the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences arrived
at the same conclusion—that the 4th SS Police regiment indeed killed the
civilian inhabitants in Huta Pieniacka.
The SS detachment’s attack on the village was the result of the denunciation to the Ukrainian police by the population in Pidhirtsiv, which
informed the Germans that the Poles of Huta Pieniacka were hiding
Jews, supported Bolshevik partisans, stored weapons and so on. The
Ukrainian SS men arrived in the village to conduct an inspection. When
they began robbing the population, speaking Ukrainian to each other
the Poles took them for bandits in disguise, and began defending themselves. Then, a Ukrainian squadron of the SS arrived in the village
from Pidhirtsiv. After having encircled the village, it began to murder
people.75
There is an emerging consensus among historians on the participation
of units, linked to Waffen-SS Galizien in the ‘pacification’ of Huta Pieniacka.
The disagreements are mostly concerned with the scale of the massacre.
Agreeing on the involvement of Waffen-SS Galizien–affiliated soldiers and
on the number of farmsteads burned down—172, the Ukrainian and Polish
commissions disagree on the number of victims. The Ukrainian commission
states that nearly 500 people were killed, and that nearly 50 people managed to save their lives.76 The Polish Institute for National Memory gives a
much higher number—700 to 1,500 people, including in this count about
1,000 Huta Pieniacka residents, plus people from surrounding villages who
had sought refuge in the village.

:kstare:

nothing to see there, seems familiar though, for some reason.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jan 27, 2022

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

nobody made that claim either lol. you've dropped into the thread to do battle with strawmen and it's kinda tedious

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
what a person who goes by the user name futanari is a weird troll????

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I forgot to mention in the Canada thread:

The plan to transfer scientists and technicians, as everyone knows, was Operation Paperclip. Canada got only 71.

The plan to transfer the Waffen SS and Auxiliary Police was Operation Mousetrap. Canada got so many of these there’s no official tally (because we made the secret agreement with the UK not to screen them).

The similarity between ”Mousetrap” and ”Ratline” may just be in my head, but it definitely describes what we did.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gumby4christ/status/1377346716798578691

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`

Futanari Damacy posted:

Which is why it's dumb to fixate on whether the Mamas and the Papas "belonged to intelligence"- we haven't even determined the significance of that for the thread namesake.

ok but also, the Mamas and the Papas specifically have a weird scent to them in light of:

• Cass Elliot's death of by heart attack gun at 32 and the popular remembrance of it ("lol she choked to death on a HAM SANDWICH because she was FAT")
  • whatever the gently caress John Phillips did to his daughter (cw: incest, assault)
  • their name, particularly in light of above

feel like this or maybe some other weird stuff with Cass was mentioned in CHAOS.

Her last call to Michelle is weird to me too, but that could just be whatever that thing is that's like post nut clarity but right before you die.

Seems to me like her dying in Harry Nilsson's cursed flat four years before Keith moon did the same thing at the same age is just a coincidence. Nilsson doesn't seem to be too spooked up unless something was up with his missing dad. I don't really know enough about him or Moon to have a gut reaction tho. :shrug:

maybe someone even dumber than me can find a numerology thing

e: for clarity and content warning

QuickbreathFinisher has issued a correction as of 07:52 on Jan 27, 2022