Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
At least she added some fun humor this episode but they really have no idea what to do with Spooner this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spooner, Gary and Behrad have overstayed their welcome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

If you're looking for a weak member of the cast -- and it pains me to say it -- Behrad is the one I'd be pointing the finger at. I think the actor noticeable struggled with some of his line readings this ep.
I have no opinion on whether Adam Tsekhman or Shayan Sobhian is the better actor, and if you're saying that Behrad is basically dead weight who could be cut from the show without being missed, sure. But Gary Green is loving awful. The show probably wouldn't be worse without Behrad, but it'd be better without Gary.

Burning_Monk posted:

At least she added some fun humor this episode but they really have no idea what to do with Spooner this season.
They haven't known what to do with her since they added her to the show. Her entire existence, as a character, is pointless, and she brings nothing to the table.

TBH, this show is basically coasting on momentum now. Replacing the original cast with new characters who just sort of show up and tag along isn't working and I don't know why anyone thought it would. The only characters left from season two (the first good one) are Sara, Nate, and (technically) Gideon. And the rest of the current cast are LoT originals, not from other Arrowverse shows. And that was one of the main draws of the show, originally; you got to see characters you already liked from the other shows get more central roles. You'd think some of the cast members of Arrow, Black Lightning and Supergirl would have been up for it. They could presumably have made Diggle a legend, for a start, instead of him just showing up at random in every other show to hint at some vague ongoing story that'll probably never pay off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I really thought/hoped for a while that they'd add Mia Queen and the Canaries to the Legends after their pilot failed to get picked up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Spooner's two episodes last year were so good, particularly the second one riffing on There Will Be Blood, and I really like how they depict her friendship with Astra. She's had less to do this season, sure, but that's how the show's worked for ages now. Characters who are prominent one season take a back-seat in the following season, then rotate back into prominence. This arc seems more focused on Astra, Behrad, Gary and Gideon, after last season did more with Sarah, Ava, Mick, Constantine and Spooner. I assume that next season we'll have a lot more from Gwyn.

I really like that the show isn't just taking cast-offs from other shows though, that it's casting people based on what it wants when it wants to use them -- that it shuffles its cast around so much is a good thing IMO. It keeps the show fresh. But it looks like they might be adding another DC character to show as a regular coming up, we'll see.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I think Gary is improving in this season. My biggest gripe with him in previous seasons was that his interactions with the crew wasn't allowed to break original characterisation, so everyone was constantly annoyed with him, even though he was a long standing part of the team which prides itself on being a band of screwups. He's still the comic relief, but having an instance where he calls everyone together to stand up for himself and Gideon and call everyone jerks, and having them accept that, is a big step up.

I know the bar has been set pretty low for him, but he's feeling more a part of the team and less of a running gag that had way outstayed its welcome.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Gary is like this reverse Flanderization where they took a one note joke and fleshed him out as more of a character.

also next ep has Letscher back as Thawne IIRC

V-Men fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 24, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

(Also Mona's Jane Austen episode is one of the best the show ever did. Fight me.)

That episode is amazing, but I don't think it's because of Mona. That's a Zari episode, and that's what made it great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ain't that the truth, I'm mostly Mona agnostic, but the musical number sags when she comes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNh2M5zVARQ

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hubba hubba

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

seaborgium posted:

That episode is amazing, but I don't think it's because of Mona. That's a Zari episode, and that's what made it great.

TBH, my mental highlight reel for that episode consists of:

- the very silly scene where Sarah and Austen take a stroll around the living room

AND

- the way that scene is repeated again later, except it's Mona in werewolf form trying to rip Jane Austen's head off while screaming about how much she hates her books.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the episode is entirely about zari wanting to get laid

rename the thread title to tala ashe appreciation station tia

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's a handsome woman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Goddamn, this show is on a heater right now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That coming out scene was sweet.

The concept of this episode was really good but the C-plot with the bullies was kinda dumb.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
THAAAAAWNE!?

Also, WTF IS ORGANIZING THESE "FIXED POINTS" IN THE TIMELINE!?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Did he say it was the time wraiths?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes.

Looking forward to how the time idiots break everything in the next episode, while executing their cunning plan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh poo poo, they doing a real time episode?

Forty minutes to stop the explosion. Forty minute episodes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ughhhhhh i suppose i can give up my spooner astra ship

the scene was sweet though

i had totally forgotten thawne was gonna make an appearance until he showed up, so that was a fun half-surprise. as a legends fan i'm a sucker for a good callback

hope we see more of the time bar in the future

and don't think i missed maisie being the director for this ep. charlie come back to me i miss you!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that's probably the last time we'll ever see Matt Lescher in the Thawne role.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Oh poo poo, they doing a real time episode?

Forty minutes to stop the explosion. Forty minute episodes.

I knew there was something weirdly specific about the time, but I completely forgot those used to be a thing :doh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

So that's probably the last time we'll ever see Matt Lescher in the Thawne role.

TBH, I think it's fifty-fifty odds on him taking Mick's old space among the regulars.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Probably more concerning that they set up such an obvious out for Sara. Also apparently Caity has been posting about moving out of her Vancouver apartment...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Probably more concerning that they set up such an obvious out for Sara. Also apparently Caity has been posting about moving out of her Vancouver apartment...

Yeah, I thought they might be writing Sarah out this season, given that they didn't bother to remove her immortality superpowers. The arbitrary character swap dynamics established in this episode seems to be the way they're gonna justify it. It's a bit whatever tbh, but the show's getting towards the end of its run and we'd be losing Sarah one way or the other. It'll be weird, but a good weird I think. Shifting characters around has always been important to keeping this show fresh.

That said, I didn't think much of this episode, their weakest in a while, mostly because of the convoluted time travel bullshit that's just sort of there to do a combo boxing / timeloop storyline. The coming outs were sweet, but a little patronising and too sweet for me.

I'll be pretty impressed if this show ends with some sort of throuple involving Behrad, Spooner and Astra though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

Also, WTF IS ORGANIZING THESE "FIXED POINTS" IN THE TIMELINE!?
https://i.imgur.com/L1ck91h.gifv

But yeah. Gideon being bothered by the idea that time was fixing itself, but then immediately accepting the explanation that it's a guy... who was sent by the time wraiths... who are part of the Speed Force, I think? Which is a person, sort of? But also a natural phenomenon like gravity, maybe?

Thawne's presence doesn't explain anything.

That said, I didn't think much of this episode, their weakest in a while, mostly because of the convoluted time travel bullshit that's just sort of there to do a combo boxing / timeloop storyline. The coming outs were sweet, but a little patronising and too sweet for me.
I thought the main plot was all right, but there was a lot of filler.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I don't know how they write out Sara without writing out Ava too, since there's no way they actually split those two up like that. Unless they intend to just do "sad and angry Captain Sharp" for a season or so, but I'd rather they just end the show instead of going that route.

My guess (pure speculation) is that Sara is about to put on the cuff and take over the position, and Gwynn (sp?) takes her place instead. That solves his paradox and is a fitting fate for the father of time travel.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was OK, but as others said the filler was dull. I'm also getting a bit fed up with all the arbitary random pairings off of characters.
Like there is no way Eva would not want to see the bar full of time travellers.
Also if you think about it (which you probably shouldn't) who is protecting all the other fixed points across history? I mean there must be dozens of things of similar magnitudes in the past and future history of earth. Then what about the fixed points on all the other habitable planets in the universe? There is probably a need to maintain millions of point guardians.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They're all Thawne. Every single one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

There were 100 of him the last time the Legends saw him so that's very possible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oli probably pops in every once in a while since his show ended and none of the spin offs went through and he doesn't have anything better to do now

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dude's wrestlin'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wrestling the spectre sounds pretty dangerous

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

How does that work if he doesn't have his powers anymore? He even said that the time wraiths took away them away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

How does that work if he doesn't have his powers anymore? He even said that the time wraiths took away them away.

They're all him from different points in time. 10 minutes apart. Speedforce baby.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
At one point they had him just straight up say "That's the thing about time travel. The more you do it, the less the rules apply."

Thawne's birth got edited out of future history but he's still hanging around because it hasn't kicked in. So he will not have had been, but has not will not have had been yet. God just gave up trying to diagram that sentence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sara and Ava take over running the time bar.

When I saw Caity posting on insta about leaving her Vancouver apartment meant the show was ending.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I think the show does need some new blood. Sara and Ava retire, Nate goes to live in the totem, Zari goes back to being a reality TV star and is replaced with robot Zari. Robot Zari can be the new team captain. Bring in Wild Dog or Mia Queen, maybe someone from Black Lightning.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Painkiller would probably be a pretty good legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Painkiller would probably be a pretty good legend
I just remembered he was supposed to be getting his own spin-off which, unsurprisingly, was cancelled (presumably because it was extremely bad). IMDB doesn't list Jordan Calloway as doing anything else a the moment, so I guess he's available.