Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i've always found the smell to be quite pleasant... thanks for the compound name!

I want to soak some toothpicks in it and chew them like epic username 2012

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's probably a pirate stream or whatever but there's a mirror of LPotL episodes that I found when searching for them on Pocket Casts

its cool they are literally leaving spotify at the end of this month by their own choice. They said it will then be available on whatever app you want again. *high five* pocket cast buddy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's awesome though I hadn't heard they were dumping Spotify

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Wendigee posted:

Earl grey smells like fruity pebbles because they are both flavored with bergamot... Which is a citrus fruit

Uhh, you're blowing my loving mind right now.

Edit:

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It all specifically comes from linalool, an aromatic compound that citrus oils are high in. Fruity Pebbles, Froot Loops, Earl grey - all have a significant amount of linalool in their flavoring.
Whoaaaaa :psyboom:

Honestly Youtube Music 'aint so bad—pretty big selection. And if you already have Youtube Premium, you can get music for another couple bucks a month.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 27, 2022

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Wendigee posted:

i've always found the smell to be quite pleasant... thanks for the compound name!

I want to soak some toothpicks in it and chew them like epic username 2012

Oh yeah, I once had a flavorhouse send me a bottle of just linalool as part of a project and it was heavenly :allears:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Uhh, you're blowing my loving mind right now.

Edit:

Whoaaaaa :psyboom:

Honestly Youtube Music 'aint so bad—pretty big selection. And if you already have Youtube Premium, you can get music for another couple bucks a month.
kinda feel like dumping Spotify for platforming chuds and moving over to... YouTube isn't gonna send the message you were hoping for

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

kinda feel like dumping Spotify for platforming chuds and moving over to... YouTube isn't gonna send the message you were hoping for
Yeah I just did. I was using it for a few podcasts like Heavyweight, but gently caress it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All Spotify knows is that you're dumping them for whatever reason you write in the box :shrug:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was using YouTube Music back when it was Google Play Music, because I had a 6 month trial when I bought a Pixel and Spotify was blocked at multiple offices I worked at. Welp that's my story, gotta go!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, after sitting out the first two weeks of the month from coming into work because I had a cough, the one day I come in happens to be the one where someone infected did come into the office :v:

Granted, I did not have close contact with the guy and for most of the time I was wearing my N95. I am not feeling symptoms yet, too. That said I think I will burn through a couple of my free tests to confirm if I can come in tomorrow or now (my workplace is slightly saner in that they only require us to come in half of the week.).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I've not tried Amazon Music but if you have Amazon Prime, you get it for free

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

It all specifically comes from linalool, an aromatic compound that citrus oils are high in. Fruity Pebbles, Froot Loops, Earl grey - all have a significant amount of linalool in their flavoring.

TIL!

Also re: Dr. Pepper and cough syrup, which kind of cough syrup?? I only ever had the noxious grape kind as a kid and that decidedly did not taste like that

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Spotify chose Rogan

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/spotify-neil-young-joe-rogan-1235081916/

“Spotify is in the process of removing Neil Young’s catalog of music from its service after the artist published — then took down — an open letter with an ultimatum: Deal with the vaccine misinformation coming from Joe Rogan’s podcast, or lose Young’s music.”

Playing all his songs 24/7 until they remove him

Wait, hold on. Are you saying this respected man might be wrong?

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1486388986973200393

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think one of the most depressing things to read during the pandemic are all the "Whoopsie I went out and did a dumb thing and I might have caught covid from it" posts where they don't give even a moment of thought for all the people they might in turn infect so they could see the 10th Spiderman movie this decade.

There's been a push in the media to normalize going back to cinemas

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1486057140691222529

..... but there's a ton of examples out there like this dude who risked it all to see the new Spider-Man film and is still hosed up 5 weeks later

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1471879184079335435
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1473709551312683008
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1473763040965312512
https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1473763295937142791

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1485796164813348865

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

worth it, Spider-Man was really good

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xenocides posted:

I am pretty sure that he wakes up every morning screaming because he is so blasted on coke that he doesn't remember where he is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How would he not know if that was his dad’s office?

Where else would the Playboy covers be displayed?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Unlucky7 posted:

I am pretty sure that he wakes up every morning screaming because he is so blasted on coke that he doesn't remember where he is.

Stop making him relatable.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Xenocides posted:

While I was bathing in DJTJr's wisdom, I checked Joe Rogan's twitter, he's 100% antivax chud

Not even worth linking but it's all "Child gives inspiring antivaxx speech" and " We need to talk about the vaccine side effects which are being censored" and so on

It's a shame because so many athletes, particularly in fight sports, consider him to be "The smart guy" lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Platystemon posted:

How would he not know if that was his dad’s office?

Where else would the Playboy covers be displayed?
Maybe he's just unsure if he personally took the photo because he was so blasted on coke at the time.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Fair point

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Honestly could not give less of a poo poo about their woes. If you go out to a see a movie or a live show or some stupid poo poo like that during a pandemic then you get what you paid for. It's spouse or the kid or the housemate or the co-worker or the nurse that they infect that have all of my sympathy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My man probably wasn't even wearing an N95 at spider-man, he was just freebasing covid air

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

TIL!

Also re: Dr. Pepper and cough syrup, which kind of cough syrup?? I only ever had the noxious grape kind as a kid and that decidedly did not taste like that

I didn't bring it up myself, but Dr. Pepper is a spiced cherry flavored carbonated beverage. The main characteristic flavor compound in cherry (real cherries and cherry flavor) is benzaldehyde (same as almonds!). So there can be some flavor connection between cherry cough syrup and Dr. Pepper depending on the flavor used in the cough syrup.

The flavorhouses that make soft drink flavors are the same ones that make cough syrup flavoring. It's all just chemistry.

ETA: I'm a food scientist and I rely on my sense of taste and smell for my career and I am terrified of losing them.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I always thought (and tasted) that Dr Peppers key twist was caramel flavoring. Seems weird that they would release a Cherry Dr Pepper if it already was Cherry flavored. I'm in the USA so there might also be some sort of regional differences at play, here

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

I always thought (and tasted) that Dr Peppers key twist was caramel flavoring. Seems weird that they would release a Cherry Dr Pepper if it already was Cherry flavored. I'm in the USA so there might also be some sort of regional differences at play, here

They use caramel color, which does have some flavor impact (mostly by muting added flavors), but Cherry Dr. Pepper is just extra cherry flavored.

Sorry for flavor derail!

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

:shrug:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Drunk Nerds posted:

Cola is a fantasia flavor combining vanilla, acid and cinnamon, and yet they still make vanilla coke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Honestly could not give less of a poo poo about their woes. If you go out to a see a movie or a live show or some stupid poo poo like that during a pandemic then you get what you paid for. It's spouse or the kid or the housemate or the co-worker or the nurse that they infect that have all of my sympathy.

Oh I didn't post him so we could feel sorry for him, I posted him as an example of people making lovely decisions and loving up their health and risking the health of people around them. If you click through his twitter feed he moved house a few days after seeing the movie but just before he started showing symptoms (right when he would have been infectious) and the moving men were wearing surgical masks around their chins in the photos. :whitewater:

I actually bought tickets to go see the new Ghostbusters sequel because I'm a tragic Gen X and things weren't too bad here in Australia when I made the booking but when the day rolled around I went "You know what, this is dumb and I'm pretty sure I can wait another month until this is available online."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh I didn't post him so we could feel sorry for him, I posted him as an example of people making lovely decisions and loving up their health and risking the health of people around them. If you click through his twitter feed he moved house a few days after seeing the movie but just before he started showing symptoms (right when he would have been infectious) and the moving men were wearing surgical masks around their chins in the photos. :whitewater:

I actually bought tickets to go see the new Ghostbusters sequel because I'm a tragic Gen X and things weren't too bad here in Australia when I made the booking but when the day rolled around I went "You know what, this is dumb and I'm pretty sure I can wait another month until this is available online."

I know you didn't. I was just using it as a jumping off point to vent because of all the stupid covid behaviours I think that one gets under my skin the most. It's like people have this idea that covid is only something you can catch and not something you spread to other people. Plus just the general selfishness and self-centredness of it all. I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard something like "I've done all I can to protect myself. If I get sick then I get sick. It's time to live my life again."
I have more respect for anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists because at least they're not hypocrites and their world view still allows for them to give a poo poo about their fellow human beings even if everything they believe is wrong.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do NOT stop flavorposting please

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scarodactyl posted:

Cola is a fantasia flavor combining vanilla, acid and cinnamon, and yet they still make vanilla coke.
do you think if we get a petition together we could get them to make acid coke?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

do you think if we get a petition together we could get them to make acid coke?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

I've heard something like "I've done all I can to protect myself. If I get sick then I get sick. It's time to live my life again."
I have more respect for anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists because at least they're not hypocrites and their world view still allows for them to give a poo poo about their fellow human beings even if everything they believe is wrong.
Before covid it seemed most anti-vaxxers didn't really deny that vaccines prevented disease. They wanted to be the special snowflakes protected by herd immunity but without exposure to any potential side effects (even made-up ones). This is an understandable, albeit antisocial, position to take.

But the covid vaccines are so good, with serious side effects so rare. It's hard to stick to the same anti-vax narrative in that environment, so they've started denying other things - like that covid is real or dangerous, that the vaccines work, that side effects are clearly worth it, etc.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Before covid it seemed most anti-vaxxers didn't really deny that vaccines prevented disease.

It was a common thread among antivaxxers that vaccines also did not prevent diseases. They would say that polio wasn't wiped out by vaccines, sanitation just happened to advance much more quickly right at that time completely by coincidence. Nevermind that this makes no loving sense, that's something that a lot of antivaxxers ardently believed. You're probably thinking of all of the rubes that Wakefield created, but that's just one subset of a much bigger community that believes all vaccines are either ineffective or literally poison that saps your life essence or whatever.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm pretty sure coke is flavored primarily with a bunch of the brown spices, especially nutmeg.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

QuarkJets posted:

It was a common thread among antivaxxers that vaccines also did not prevent diseases. They would say that polio wasn't wiped out by vaccines, sanitation just happened to advance much more quickly right at that time completely by coincidence.

This just so insanely insulting to the legacy of Jonas Salk. I have absolutely zero patience for antivax morons no matter what their excuses are. I’ve heard many and all of them are dumb.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Got the official notification in the UK covid app that doorknob licking is back on and that masks are for squares. I was waiting for cases to drop to something sane, but as noted yesterday cases appear to be plateauing even higher than our previous peak, so I that's it then. I did my part, but covid won. Guess I'll go watch Spider-Man and kill my parents.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ETA: I'm a food scientist and I rely on my sense of taste and smell for my career and I am terrified of losing them.

What makes Creed’s Erolfa so distinctive?

For that matter, why does early morning ocean air (like 4:00-5:00am) smell so good? It’s hard to describe, but until I moved to the Atlantic coastline I’d never smelled it before: it’s like air crack and I literally get into a breathing frenzy when the conditions are right and I can smell it.

Nothing smells like it, though Erolfa is the closest I think I’ve found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Got the official notification in the UK covid app that doorknob licking is back on and that masks are for squares. I was waiting for cases to drop to something sane, but as noted yesterday cases appear to be plateauing even higher than our previous peak, so I that's it then. I did my part, but covid won. Guess I'll go watch Spider-Man and kill my parents.

It is loving exhausting living in an endless countrywide prisoner's dilemma game, where the Other defects every single time.

Like being in an enormous chain gang that is desperate to throw itself off a cliff. Even if you can't see the edge yet you still feel the tug on your ankle every time a person is dragged or throws themselves off, knowing your turn is coming