Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been pretty happy with the steady releases of Trinity stuff, and it makes sense for Onyx Path to transition to produce things for a line they own the rights too.

I would love some good new Requiem stuff, but Storypath is the future of the company. Full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been pretty happy with the steady releases of Trinity stuff, and it makes sense for Onyx Path to transition to produce things for a line they own the rights too.

I would love some good new Requiem stuff, but Storypath is the future of the company. Full stop.
Yeah, and honestly, I like Scion stuff a lot and broadly think Storypath's a solid improvement on the previous system so I'm happy to see more stuff in it than not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Loomer posted:

Thems fighting words.

This might worry me if the Craftmasons had ever managed to win any fights.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, at that point, there's no game!

Which is ultimately what M20 did, of course. We started with the Ascension War to stop the Technocracy from telling people what to believe, but Mage Revised decided that the Ascension War was hubris and told people to pursue global Ascension instead. Then M20 decided that global Ascension was evil and to pursue personal Ascension instead.

Now that everybody is a protagonist and all the ideologies are equal, there's no reason to support anybody or do anything except seek union with your own navel. The game has eaten itself.

That's probably the result of an unconscious recognition that they're not going to be publishing a ton of support for large scale metaplot, so they kind of parked the cosmic and political side of the setting into this dead end. Right now, the focus is on street level games where the Traditions exist as loose authorities that act as support and minor antagonists. Without focusing on the fight against the Technocracy or global Ascension there's no greater substantial purpose for players to get hooked on, so instead books like Lore of the Traditions present small scale plot hooks, like chantry reform or the Celestial Chorus introducing mandatory tithing.

To me, what defines the focus of M20 is the example of play from the new core where the character needs to make like five different skill and magick rolls to successfully beg for food. Can you imagine the player and ST from that scenario doing a game on a cosmic or grand political scale? The former is presented as the default mode of play and the latter is barely supported.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They got any new books for WtF on the horizon?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
NuTrinity is very good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They got any new books for WtF on the horizon?

Nope. Everything that was solicited for Woof is out as far as I know.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Covermeinsunshine posted:

So Requiem died for V5? That's just sad, that is.

At least Requiem died after a full life. I honestly don't think it needs anything else. If anything, the last few supplements have been pretty superfluous. All I want from CofD at this point is Tome of the Pentacle and the two Deviant supplements (book of clades and book of the devoted?)
I know Fallen Worlds was announced for Mage, but I don't know who is writing for it, so there's not really much to hope for even if it did release in record time/at all.

Edit: I'd also love a book on imperial practices, but that seems like it would only exist as a storyvault project.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 26, 2022

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Ferrinus posted:

This might worry me if the Craftmasons had ever managed to win any fights.

I'd have thought the betrayal of the revolution's spirit by internal counterrevolutionary forces would draw more sympathy.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Loomer posted:

I'd have thought the betrayal of the revolution's spirit by internal counterrevolutionary forces would draw more sympathy.

Well, yeah, that's what happened at Mistridge.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Loomer posted:

The revolution was built on fundamentally authoritarian principles and was driven to fail by its own internal contradictions, only progressive humanist reform can bring lasting change!

Uh, I mean, achieve global, personal Ascension.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Finally getting around to writing my Changeling 2ed campaign. Is there any good place (apart from here) to seek primers on faerie poo poo and ask questions?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Tias posted:

Finally getting around to writing my Changeling 2ed campaign. Is there any good place (apart from here) to seek primers on faerie poo poo and ask questions?

There is a CoD Discord you can join: https://discord.me/cofd

They seem to be decently active on the Vampire/Mage boards, though I haven't poked around at Changeling or the others.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ferrinus posted:

Ascension is under the editorial control of a bunch of dyed-in-the-wool "better things aren't possible" liberals.

And you know what? Good. Let the oWoD suffer! They made their choice and they'll pay the price.

...in fairness, the oWoD was pretty much a "Everything sucks, and you're X. X sucks too."

Vampire: vampire. Enjoy your Curse, the Beast, and the fact that everyone older, the same age, or younger as a vampire is out to get you. Plus all the mortals that know you exist.

Werewolf: werewolf. But also Captain Planet ecoterrorist fighting a losing war while having the worst case of blackout-violent-drunk ever.

Mage: mage. But also your side lost the war already and now you're hunted by, among others, the Terminators and the Men in Black. Also all your peer mages are dicks.

Wraith: dead. And the afterlife sucks, including if your middle manager boss could literally turn you into a widget. Plus your dark side is real and wants to take you over.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hey, Orpheus is at least a steady paycheck.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ulmont posted:

...in fairness, the oWoD was pretty much a "Everything sucks, and you're X. X sucks too."

Vampire: vampire. Enjoy your Curse, the Beast, and the fact that everyone older, the same age, or younger as a vampire is out to get you. Plus all the mortals that know you exist.

Werewolf: werewolf. But also Captain Planet ecoterrorist fighting a losing war while having the worst case of blackout-violent-drunk ever.

Mage: mage. But also your side lost the war already and now you're hunted by, among others, the Terminators and the Men in Black. Also all your peer mages are dicks.

Wraith: dead. And the afterlife sucks, including if your middle manager boss could literally turn you into a widget. Plus your dark side is real and wants to take you over.

As Justin pointed out today, the problem with Werewolf as it stands now is that Pentex is loving quaint compared to the realities of corporate excess that exist in 2022.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

As Justin pointed out today, the problem with Werewolf as it stands now is that Pentex is loving quaint compared to the realities of corporate excess that exist in 2022.

Yeah. Like he said, Pentex doesn't even need to be a holding company. It could just pull poo poo itself now and nobody would care.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Like, a billionaire's vanity project is about to collide with the Moon and there's nothing we can do about it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Like, a billionaire's vanity project is about to collide with the Moon and there's nothing we can do about it.

We truly live in a world of darkness :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No kidding. What were the subsidiaries?
O'Tolley Burgers giving you burgers from tortured cows with feces residue in? Normal FDA stuff
Good House ltd. carving down the worlds rainforest with no oversight from governments? Uh oh
Black Dog going into an investment scheme concocted by Magicians of the Bay which allowed third-party publishers to create their own Icosahedron games compatible with the latest edition of Labyrinths & Lamiae. One such company was Death Lord Games? OH NO

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ulmont posted:

"Sometimes the only meaning is in the struggle" is a fairly popular concept in a lot of modern art. It's part of why I like oWoD, it lays its card on the table from the onset in its description of Gothic-punk. There is no Good Ending but that shouldn't stop you from living a good life.

Which is as apt now as it was in the 90s. (or possibly ever, depending on your worldview)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

"Sometimes the only meaning is in the struggle" is a fairly popular concept in a lot of modern art. It's part of why I like oWoD, it lays its card on the table from the onset in its description of Gothic-punk. There is no Good Ending but that shouldn't stop you from living a good life.

Which is as apt now as it was in the 90s. (or possibly ever, depending on your worldview)

Having finished reading the 1st ed WoD world book recently, there are a few NPCs sprinkled through the book who embody the "Living a good life" (or at least a form of it) that stood out like beacons of light.

There's a gay Kindred couple in Hong Kong who just hang out at Karaoke places, and that's basically all the book says about Tom and Carlos, or the Malk who sells milk and cookies to tourists, or the (I think at least 3) Kindred who are mentioned that achieved Golconda or on the path to Golconda.

It was surprising to stumble over these characters because practically every other named NPC in the book is somehow involved in some sort of Vampire schemes or plot point in the book, except for the previously mentioned NPCs, and a couple of others that escape me now who are just hanging out doing their own thing.

Also the Phantom of the Opera is a Nos and I love him :3:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The dynamism of the young conflicting with the stasis of the old should be a key hook for characters on both sides of the Ascension War, even if (especially if) one side has already"won".

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

postmodern. oWoD is far from being anywhere near a standard of art, but like zizek and others often say, pulp "low-art" gives much more of a feel to the beat of the times

(personally the funniest thing to me though is that most communists I know have played oWoD games for at least a bit)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

postmodern. oWoD is far from being anywhere near a standard of art, but like zizek and others often say, pulp "low-art" gives much more of a feel to the beat of the times

(personally the funniest thing to me though is that most communists I know have played oWoD games for at least a bit)

Well when I say art I do mean pop culture. At least in our age it is the mover and shaker of culture

Leo Tolstoy posted:

The artist of the future will understand that to invent a little tale, a touching song, a ditty, an amusing riddle, a funny joke, to make a drawing that will give joy to dozens of generations, or to millions of children and adults, is incomparably more important and fruitful than to write a novel or a symphony or paint a picture that will for a short time divert a few members of the wealthy classes and then be forgotten for ever. The realm of this art of simple feelings accessible to all is enormous and as yet almost untouched.

But as for politics, a thought struck me a while ago when I was rewatching The X-Files. You're surprised a communist would like oWoD but I don't see anything confusing there. The World of Darkness embodies a very 90s way of thinking as seen in much bigger cultural juggernauts like X-Files and most enduringly The Matrix. "Conspiracy Culture" "The Man controls everything" is now associated with the worst kind of right winger because of QAnon and such but back then, it was a pretty progressive idea. It was a way to revolt against liberal capitalist triumphalism. (interestingly, while I thought this was a uniquely 90s America thing, it pops up at the core of a Japanese RPG named Persona 2. I've always wondered about that. Maybe this was a phenomenon across a lot of liberal democracies of the time, not just America)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

EDIT: Double post, sorry.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LatwPIAT posted:

The revolution was built on fundamentally authoritarian principles and was driven to fail by its own internal contradictions, only progressive humanist reform can bring lasting change!

Uh, I mean, achieve global, personal Ascension.
Ascension will only be achieved by defeating my Posting Enemies. At that point it will be trivial to deal with the Seers/the Technocracy/the Camarilla/NHGH

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ulmont posted:

I'm not familiar with Wraith, but while Vampire is about making your compromises with having to prey on others to survive, I don't think you're right about Werewolf and Mage. Like, as checkered as the history of the Gauru (and, really, the Changing Breeds in general) was, you really did unambiguously want to fight the ascendant Wyrm (and Weaver?) because they were destroying everything. And "the Traditionalists are the real fascists" is a recent innovation as far as Ascension is concerned, which was otherwise like Werewolf in that it A) did a good job of making the protagonist factions flawed and murky but B) made it really obvious where the principal contradiction lies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not familiar with Wraith, but while Vampire is about making your compromises with having to prey on others to survive, I don't think you're right about Werewolf and Mage. Like, as checkered as the history of the Gauru (and, really, the Changing Breeds in general) was, you really did unambiguously want to fight the ascendant Wyrm (and Weaver?) because they were destroying everything. And "the Traditionalists are the real fascists" is a recent innovation as far as Ascension is concerned, which was otherwise like Werewolf in that it A) did a good job of making the protagonist factions flawed and murky but B) made it really obvious where the principal contradiction lies.

? You definitely are Captain Planet in Werewolf, your side is unambiguously losing the fight, and you do have occasionally uncontrollable violent urges. Whether or not you're motivated to fight doesn't change the fact that your life kinda sucks. Same for Mage, mutatis mutandis.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah but it is not presented as a fight that is definitionally unwinnable or which you are on the wrong side of is, I think, his point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah but it is not presented as a fight that is definitionally unwinnable or which you are on the wrong side of is, I think, his point.

That feels like it changed over the editions, as these things will do. It was in late 2E that Apocalypse said "well, there's maybe room for some hope yet" and in then in Revised when Skemp took over it felt like "The Garou will probably die but it's possible to save everything if <stuff PCs will have to do>."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

1st edition werewolf was mostly "Wow, look at these absolute piles of poo poo, yup all of them are poo poo, no wonder they all suck." because it was still leaning heavily on Vampire's themes.

By 3rd edition the metaplot ultimately hinges around the ultimate puppetmaster of the Garou nation deciding to do the right thing and try to unify the tribes rather than enact his ultimate revenge fantasy like his Tribe wants him to.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Octavo posted:

The Crafts aka the Disparates. No, none of them are more interesting to play than the Nine Mystic Traditions.
And of course Phil chose to make them more like the Traditions by setting them up in a big council, despite the fact that the ideological and cosmological differences between the Disparates are in some cases even worse than those between the Traditions, and totally glossing over the fact that if the Disparates were at all amenable to the idea of mages of different flavours banding together in the name of a common cause, they'd just join the Traditions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the really annoying thing about the Disparates is that if you don't like the Traditions, the Disparate Alliance doesn't really improve on the Council of Nine in any way except that the author decided he was willing to approve of them.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the really annoying thing about the Disparates is that if you don't like the Traditions, the Disparate Alliance doesn't really improve on the Council of Nine in any way except that the author decided he was willing to approve of them.

It also really minimized the one good thing the Traditions ever did in the metaplot, which was rescuing the Crafts from the Technocracy's revised era purge and giving them shelter and membership in their own chantries.
The retcon made it so that only a small percent of each craft joined the Traditions in order to monitor them for Nephandic infiltration. The main body of the crafts/Disparates were too cool to need rescuing.

Octavo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 28, 2022

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ulmont posted:

? You definitely are Captain Planet in Werewolf, your side is unambiguously losing the fight, and you do have occasionally uncontrollable violent urges. Whether or not you're motivated to fight doesn't change the fact that your life kinda sucks. Same for Mage, mutatis mutandis.

I'm not saying that Werewolf was optimistic, I'm just saying it didn't do Brucato's both-sides-are-equally-bad centrist equivocation. The Garou may well have doomed all life one earth by repeatedly being huge shitheads across their history, but that's a shame, because they and the rest of the werecreatures actually were fighing a good fight and it'd be nice if they won.

Similarly, Mage: the Ascension revised basically took it as a given that the Ascension War was already lost and the best thing for mages to do was volunteer at soup kitchens or whatever. I think this is amenable to positive criticism and generally redeemable in various ways, but even if we're going to completely resign ourselves to the thousand-year reich of neoliberalism at the end of history (it should be noted that the political valence of the "end of history" itself is a little bit more interesting than many people, Marxist or otherwise, give it credit for), at least no one was pretending that this was totally unremarkable because the Technocrats and Traditionalists are really just the same.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 28, 2022

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

Similarly, Mage: the Ascension revised basically took it as a given that the Ascension War was already lost and the best thing for mages to do was volunteer at soup kitchens or whatever. I think this is amenable to positive criticism and generally redeemable in various ways, but even if we're going to completely resign ourselves to the thousand-year reich of neoliberalism at the end of history (it should be noted that the political valence of the "end of history" itself is a little bit more interesting than many people, Marxist or otherwise, give it credit for), at least no one was pretending that this was totally unremarkable because the Technocrats and Traditionalists are really just the same.

That was the starting point of Revised, but it quickly ramped up into a new Ascension War when the Technocracy started an interdisciplinary murder group called Panopticon, and the younger Traditions members (aka the PCs) started listening to the sphinx transmissions urging them to shake off their malaise and fight the technofascists.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Octavo posted:

That was the starting point of Revised, but it quickly ramped up into a new Ascension War when the Technocracy started an interdisciplinary murder group called Panopticon, and the younger Traditions members (aka the PCs) started listening to the sphinx transmissions urging them to shake off their malaise and fight the technofascists.

Yep, and then you had the actual Time of Judgement whose biggest and most fleshed-out scenario really did have a global ascension happy ending in which everyone found their own unified field theory or uncorrupted tongue of Enoch or whatever after the Technocracy succumbed to its own contradictions and Voormas got got.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ive never actually played any sort of mage game, What do the stories look like? What can actually antagonize people who can do literal magic and dont have a driving need to hunt and survive(vampire),save the planet(werewolf), or not get ate(Hunter)? Are all games just relatively low powered so that mortal authorities and paranormals can still realistically pick on a group of magi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Octavo posted:

Is that when Bridges took over after Heinig left for whatever reason?