Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

i say swears online posted:

from another perspective, perhaps nato isn't actually a defensive alliance!

and from this perspective, ukraine isn't a "liability which will drag us into war", but "an opportunity to be dragged into war".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

our boys are gettin' stagnant and soft, it's time for our generational crucible

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

didnt we just finish one

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

didnt we just finish one

no we handily won Afghanistan, that's why it's called America's Second Vietnam

other nations would've taken 40, 60, 80+ years to achieve what we did in 20, especially in terms of total cost

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what about career soldiers from armies that i like

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

I'm reading these excerpts and thinking to myself "thank god they were like this, thank god this guy didn't manage to whip them into shape" lmao

the only conclusion to be drawn from it is that the military was too institutionally biased towards loving up and not caring. SLAM was the smart one for recognizing the problems but not caring about them, because it would've ruined his career to make a stink.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

what about career soldiers from armies that i like

A well armed and politically educated soldiery is necessary to secure the revolution

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

pogi posted:

An interesting supplemental thing I’ve found on Vietnam is the Senate’s Committee of Foreign relation’s hearing of journalist Harrison Salisbury’s trip to North Vietnam. Here’s the link to the document:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-90shrg74687/pdf/CHRG-90shrg74687.pdf

A few interesting excerpts. The American bombing campaign would sometimes knock out railroads, and apparently the solution was to unload the train’s cargo on a brigade of bicycles (around 600 pounds worth of material per bike) and wheel them down the line until they could pack everything into a new train. Just incredible.

Here is the chairman of the committee being the most blisteringly stupid rear end in a top hat I have ever witnessed lol

this is from like six pages ago, but I just wanted to point out that the chairman of that committee was a notoriously hardline anti-Vietnam-War dove who ended up getting primaried by a more hawkish Democrat almost entirely because of his anti-war positions, so he is almost certainly being sarcastic here

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Wait, they let a sitting US Senator visit North Vietnam... during the war? :psyduck:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pogi posted:

An interesting supplemental thing I’ve found on Vietnam is the Senate’s Committee of Foreign relation’s hearing of journalist Harrison Salisbury’s trip to North Vietnam. Here’s the link to the document:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-90shrg74687/pdf/CHRG-90shrg74687.pdf

A few interesting excerpts. The American bombing campaign would sometimes knock out railroads, and apparently the solution was to unload the train’s cargo on a brigade of bicycles (around 600 pounds worth of material per bike) and wheel them down the line until they could pack everything into a new train. Just incredible.
salisbury's book about his trip is really interesting. practically the whole north vietnamese population was armed as the lowest layer of an air-defense system. just throw up a wall of bullets at low-flying aircraft to force them to higher layers covered by heavier weaponry.

so vietnamese women are getting their hair done in a salon and then hear the siren, grab their rifles, and run up onto the roof

skooma512 posted:

Wait, they let a sitting US Senator visit North Vietnam... during the war? :psyduck:
salisbury was a NYT journalist. also reported from the USSR during WWII if i remember right

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Jan 27, 2022

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

skooma512 posted:

Who do you imagine had the power to prevent it? Who is “they” here?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
another anecdote is that the north vietnamese dispersed their oil supplies in drums across the country to prevent them from being easily bombed. so you'd be driving down the street in the countryside and just see oil drums scattered around in people's rice paddies. needed oil? just pull over and pick one up.

some other journalists reported this as "red vietnam's logistics in disarray" which the pentagon took as evidence the bombing was working

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/1486187431762305031

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I'm glad that both his daughter's husband and his daughter's boyfriend are serving. o7.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

something tells me these guys aren't very brave, intelligent or moral

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Loucks posted:

Who do you imagine had the power to prevent it? Who is “they” here?

North Vietnam?

Being at war with a country generally means you can't travel there, and probably shouldn't if you're an official in the enemy government.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

North Vietnam?

Being at war with a country generally means you can't travel there, and probably shouldn't if you're an official in the enemy government.

US senators get a lot of leeway to undertake their own diplomatic missions. I doubt they'd just be allowed to visit an enemy country in the middle of wartime, but it wouldn't be that weird if one did. Especially if there's still active diplomacy going on, like it was for most of the war.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/26/tulsi-gabbard-bashar-al-assad-syria-democrats

I know Syria isn't Vietnam. Just saying

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

US senators get a lot of leeway to undertake their own diplomatic missions. I doubt they'd just be allowed to visit an enemy country in the middle of wartime, but it wouldn't be that weird if one did. Especially if there's still active diplomacy going on, like it was for most of the war.

john mccain visited afghanistan a few times and had people drive him all over helmand

certainly wasn't a diplomacy mission tho lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/viral/tiktok-famous-island-boys-promote-army-recruitment-cameo-rcna13347

https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/s9gml9/army_recruiter_pays_island_boys_for_a_recruiting/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

john mccain visited afghanistan a few times and had people drive him all over helmand

certainly wasn't a diplomacy mission tho lol
he also visited vietnam

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

he also visited vietnam

lol multiple times even

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Mister Bates posted:

this is from like six pages ago, but I just wanted to point out that the chairman of that committee was a notoriously hardline anti-Vietnam-War dove who ended up getting primaried by a more hawkish Democrat almost entirely because of his anti-war positions, so he is almost certainly being sarcastic here

ahhh, now that is interesting. That piece of information that flips my perspective on the hearing, at least on the chairman’s part. Thanks!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol multiple times even

I heard he had a thing for crashing hotel parties

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

finally some good volleys

https://twitter.com/DylanBurns1776/status/1485819001662021633
https://twitter.com/butch_assidy/status/1486032943046967301

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why didn't you post the good volleys?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

actually we lost to goat farmers

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Burgers had to fund those cattle ranchers goatherds with billions in equipment and with the active collusion of every neighbouring state (Including the PRC lol). The US lost to them for FREE.

SpaceGoku posted:

actually we lost to goat farmers

gently caress, I found out cattle just means cows.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Wojak comic even assumes we've got enough air superiority to do airstrikes and have attack helicopters. We can't even imagine a war where we can't depend on air power.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Like whats gonna happen when all those F-35s crash due to inclement weather or the newly upgraded fighting falcons get zapped by russian air defenses?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

Like whats gonna happen when all those F-35s crash due to inclement weather or the newly upgraded fighting falcons get zapped by russian air defenses?

we pay 500 billion for new ones deliverable in 2054

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Wojak comic even assumes we've got enough air superiority to do airstrikes and have attack helicopters. We can't even imagine a war where we can't depend on air power.
Russian pilots have to share a MIG-15. When the first one dies, the other one has to drag it back to base for repairs.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1486639777944383494

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I disagree with Tucker but only in the sense that it should be a full-throated belly laugh, not a giggle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russian pilots have to share a MIG-15. When the first one dies, the other one has to drag it back to base for repairs.

russian soldiers are placed in pairs. one gets the aircraft and one gets the missiles

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

wow! it's a boat too? this jet can do everything!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Any jet can be a boat.

Once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

From a write up of the joint Kazakh-Russian-US effort securing of a bunch of plutonium Russia left in Kazakhstan:

quote:

https://www.belfercenter.org/sites/default/files/files/publication/Plutonium%20Mountain-Web.pdf
Even today, a full-scale fluoride mine operates within eyesight of the Degelen tunnels.84 Should they choose, the mining operation could drill an underground tunnel to Degelen Mountain in a matter of weeks.85

To prevent this and other theft scenarios, the U.S. funded and helped install an elaborate security system at Degelen Mountain in 2009. The protection around the site included barbed wiring fencing, two-meter-deep trenches and large stones to prevent vehicle access, 500 sensors, including seismic, motion and trip-wire detectors, five video towers, and a small, unmanned aerial vehicle for the Kazakhs to use for surveillance. Finding equipment that proved reliable in Semipalatinsk’s harsh climate proved challenging. Equipment provided by Raytheon as part of a multi-million dollar contract broke the winter after it was installed.86 One U.S. official said most of the detectors had been designed by Raytheon for the desert environment of the U.S.-Mexican border. The Kazakhs, on their own initiative, sourced equipment designed to withstand Siberian winters from a Russian military supplier; it cost half the amount of the U.S. contract, and easily survived the winter.