Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Nope, just check out the official mods site, there are some things to fill gaps in the base game without getting too crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ShootaBoy posted:

Why? Blizzard has spent years systematically failing at making WoW xpacs good, and that was before all this poo poo went down and they got eaten by MS. How is their first entry into a genre absolutely glutted with janky, poorly done, 'babbies first set of hunger and thirst meters' promising? They've never done anything even remotely in this wheelhouse before.

I can't see it as anything other than the first attempt to paint over all the poo poo that's gone down with some cheap hype.

Is there really any hype for it at this point, though? I'd think if they wanted to tape over the recent poo poo they'd pull out the big guns, not "hiring for an unnanounced game".

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I'm very excited for Blizzard to forget this project exists until revealing it was cancelled "5 years ago" in 8 years time in a forum post on a random fan website.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I'm excited for anything from "Blizzard" it'll be four years from now after Microsoft has built a new team to reinvigorate one of their IPs.

I'd imagine current Blizzard is trying to get this game started and far enough along that their creative vision persists after the merger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As long as my survivor can get warmed up by doing the Alizee dance

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imo a World of Warcraft survival game wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. There is so much lore and design in the worldbuilding that is begging for someone to do something good with it, and yet Bliz's best showing in a decade has been a card game.

Starcraft: Survival where you survive on a Zerg infested planet writes itself but would probably be too hard to balance. You stab one zergling with a wooden spear and the entire hive mind blankets your position.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 27, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"wow: survival game" is conjuring visions of EverQuest Next".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
might be interesting if I'm alive in 7 years when they release the pre alpha

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Vintage Story, is there any mid/late-game brick or pottery kiln, or is it only pit kilns forever? Are there any doors that are safe to use for food cellars, or will I forever be blocking up the entrance?

Also I got so frustrated being short on sticks all the time I learned how to write a mod just so I could make it so you can cut firewood into sticks. I hate breaking leaves for five minutes just to make some ladders.

It's just pit kilns, those are a new development too so wouldn't expect it to change soon. prior to the last stable release you'd just pop your raw clay thing in the firepit. Any old door works fine; also even a partially enclosed building is significantly better than outside/in your pocket

Sticks are in high demand through the whole game, people have modded in that same functionality a bunch. I've gotten in the habit of finding one of those biomes where everything's a low birch bush and clearing it, which aside from removing the place where you're 100% going to get murdered by wolves constantly will net you half a year's worth of sticks in like a day.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 27, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've gotten in the habit of finding one of those biomes where everything's a low birch bush
There are other biomes??

This game really does seem to have Terrafirmacraft's problem, in that biomes, stone layers, and other features are way, way too broad and moving from one to another takes unreasonable time. Sells the scope, but at the price of convenience. Still, I'm having a lot more fun at my second, slightly more modded go at it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They're not rigidly defined but yeah there's fields, forest, shrublands, deserts, lakes and stuff and usually you can get to one in five minutes' walk. If you really wanna go on some kind of epic journey there's also tropical jungles with their own plants and animals down south and tundra to the north but they're ridiculously far away, like you can run for a whole season and not get there, and there's literally no reason to visit the latter. unclear why they bothered make them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 27, 2022

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warbird posted:

Speaking of VintageStory, did the Better Than Wolves or Feed The Beast Minecraft mods ever get spun out into something stand alone? I adored messing with pipes and mining setups in the latter, which I suppose tracks well to Sastifactory/Factorio, but I did enjoy the survival elements of it. The former had some fun moving platforms and stuff you could make, but it was a Flowerchild venture so idk if it's even available for download on any given day.

FTB at least was a collection of mods made by a whole lot of people, the majority of whom were absolute prima donnas about who was allowed to share their mods and where, so trying to turn that into a standalone thing would be an absolute nightmare verging on impossible. Factorio is explicit about being inspired by some of those (IndustrialCraft/BuildCraft in particular) and Satisfactory is pretty clearly inspired by Factorio in turn, but I don't know of any standalone games that really recapture the whole thing. I could at least mention Evospace as "you probably haven't heard about this" and it is imo janky in a charming way that many of those mods were back in the day.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

lordfrikk posted:

Is there really any hype for it at this point, though? I'd think if they wanted to tape over the recent poo poo they'd pull out the big guns, not "hiring for an unnanounced game".

I never said it was a lot of hype :v: Its a desperation thing, "Blizzard working on a new game with a new ip in a new genre" is a perfect fit for a headline while trying to call back to previous success (overwatch). At least that's what I think, given that this 'reveal' is for an unannounced game with not even a working name or literally any info.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The shears are a great tool for breaking tons of leaves, which is useful when you go chop down a huge oak or maple.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, needing sticks early on was for the ore tunnels I intended to dig straight down, but after finding out surface copper deposits were 100% accurate and direct I realized that wasn't an obstacle.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They're not rigidly defined but yeah there's fields, forest, shrublands, deserts, lakes and stuff and usually you can get to one in five minutes' walk. If you really wanna go on some kind of epic journey there's also tropical jungles with their own plants and animals down south and tundra to the north but they're ridiculously far away, like you can run for a whole season and not get there, and there's literally no reason to visit the latter. unclear why they bothered make them.
Seems like a good reason to set the polar distance way, way down in the worldgen, then. 100k is the default so maybe a small fraction of that is reasonable.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I usually decrease the distances of the world at game start to a quarter in my single player games.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

ShootaBoy posted:

Why? Blizzard has spent years systematically failing at making WoW xpacs good, and that was before all this poo poo went down and they got eaten by MS. How is their first entry into a genre absolutely glutted with janky, poorly done, 'babbies first set of hunger and thirst meters' promising? They've never done anything even remotely in this wheelhouse before.

I can't see it as anything other than the first attempt to paint over all the poo poo that's gone down with some cheap hype.

I suppose because all the people that have been making GBS threads up WoW since Legion are still on WoW and historically Blizzard’s biggest strength isn’t innovation, it’s polishing others’ ideas. So could it be good? Maybe. Could it suck? Probably. But if it’s as decent as HOTS or HS, then I’ll be good with it.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Vintage Story, is there any mid/late-game brick or pottery kiln, or is it only pit kilns forever? Are there any doors that are safe to use for food cellars, or will I forever be blocking up the entrance?

Also I got so frustrated being short on sticks all the time I learned how to write a mod just so I could make it so you can cut firewood into sticks. I hate breaking leaves for five minutes just to make some ladders.

I think cellars only need to have a low light level to function like they should. Torches and lamps are fine, but there can't be any sunlight coming through the doorway. And they can't be larger than 7 blocks in any direction. If I dig a cellar pretty deep underground where no light can get to it, it doesn't even seem to matter if I leave the door open or not.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, needing sticks early on was for the ore tunnels I intended to dig straight down, but after finding out surface copper deposits were 100% accurate and direct I realized that wasn't an obstacle.

Seems like a good reason to set the polar distance way, way down in the worldgen, then. 100k is the default so maybe a small fraction of that is reasonable.

You can also change climate distribution in worldgen to "patchy" instead of realistic, which will generate biomes all over the place rather then always having tundra north and jungles south so that you have a chance to actually run into them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bronze is going to be a bitch in Vintage Story I can already tell. I admit I'm still stumbling on actual prospected ore deposits. Found a "very high" Bismuth center and dug down almost to bedrock, tapping the walls in node search frequently, and still didn't find it. Drilled another shaft and was lucky to hit the *very edge* with my 4 radius prospector's pick search by sheer luck. It's a 1-tile-high disc that's way smaller than I'd imagined from the reading. Now I still need to find sphalerite. Cassiterite I've never seen above like, 2%, so this seemed easier.
How do they practically expect you to handle this without the node search prospecting mode? Is it really the standard practice to just go out there with like 500 ladders and 5 or 6 picks and just drill a half dozen boreholes all the way to bedrock, and just hope you pass through the deposit? I can't believe this managed to be an even more tedious system than TerrafirmaCraft. Sure it didn't have any broader region searches, but the prospector's pick had more uses than VS's 75 and it had a radius of 25.

Plus I'm still not exactly sure at what point it's worth trying to dig for a deposit. If I search the surroundings and the local peak is still "poor", does that mean there's a small deposit or it's probably a false positive?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Recently got back into Project Zomboid after the recent update and it's suddenly like playing a completely different game compared to what I remember. What was once a handful of zombies is now legitimately life-threatening (a number as low as five is now enough to tag you around, drag you down and rip you to pieces ) and the once-jolly Super Fun Happy Time hordes where you could just hack your way through the masses with a few spare axes is but a memory. On the other hand, firearms are actually worth using now -- even at low levels -- and aren't a total loving "you woke up the neighbours" way of being overrun by every undead fucker within a mile radius.

Solo is a bleak and depressing affair which just has you staring at the walls and eyeing the bleach for a quick way out, but a small MP group is the real fun of it all. gently caress around, find this, that and the other with a combination of skills and abilities to build a workable base worth living in and just hope you don't get swarmed too soon. Or ever.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

good to note though that all of that is configurable (spawn size, weapon multi-hit and "drag down" are all configurable options)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

good to note though that all of that is configurable (spawn size, weapon multi-hit and "drag down" are all configurable options)

True, and multi-hit is enabled, but we like the "drag down" option because we're stupid we need a friendly reminder to not go doing anything heroic.

Edit:
Only last week I got torn apart because I went to look for a specific book on my own like some sort of moron. One zombie became three, became six, then I was jumped from the back and oh wow my hat fell off and so did my head.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

In Project Zomboid I'm not sure what, exactly, changed between B40 and B41 but they made combat far more unforgiving. I've long since forgotten how it was in B40, but I definitely put multihit on (as well as drag down and back vulnerability) and I'm still not entirely certain how I'm supposed to handle the 40+ zombie hordes other than simply staying away if I'm not keen to do a molotov trick.

In Vintage Story, bronze is a means to a goal - iron. I cherish my bronze picks when I first make them (and you really only need bronze picks and a bronze anvil, copper hammers work fine) and often carry a copper for general mining and a bronze for when only needed. Iron, when found, spawns in such vast veins (thickness 1 but radius 20-40) that finding one vein functionally has you set forever (radius 20 medium quality iron, one vein is ~250 ingots).

There are several ways to get bronze to at least begin your iron finding journey.
1: Prospecting. Finding cassiterite, bismuth/sphalerite, or gold/silver can be rough. Remember that surface quartz veins (if you at least have a bronze pick) don't ping on your prospecting pick density search but can have silver or gold internally. When I see surface quartz, I do some node prospecting hits on the margins to see if I get a silver or gold hit.
2: Surface deposit hunting. Tin is a very rare find, but if you get even a single surface deposit, that's sometimes enough for anvil and pick.
3: Ruin hunting. While extremely rare to get the exact ores you need, what you can occasionally find in containers are metal plates, and digging around the bony soil. Using a chisel, you can break apart metal items to get metal bits you can smelt into whatever they were. Find a gold plate, suddenly you have 400 units of gold. Pan some bony soil and get either gold nuggets (and you get silver from gravel/sand panning), or bronze armor scales you can chisel into bits.
4: Trading. Commodity traders frequently sell cassiterite, sphalerite, and bismuthine. The common thing they will buy is beeswax, which you can often get a big bee farm set up well within your first year. If you find another trader nearby that buys easy to mass produce things, like the various breads or similar, you can get a healthy load of rusted gears and trade for the makings of bronze regularly. You also get rusted gears sometimes out of panning bony soil.

Panning for gold/silver is the route I take when I'm getting other poor bronze hits (if I don't have a Commodity trader), and I'll use that to just get 1 black bronze pick and then start exploring the quartz veins I've inevitably run across while exploring. While it's a bit angling for very low drops, both black bronze and tin bronze are 80%+ copper so you need very little to at least get a bronze pick to help you expand your possibilities.

Which one works for me depends on how each world generates. If all I get are poor hits, sometimes I'll drop loads of shafts and find something... but sometimes I come out having made 10 shafts and have found nothing across 4 chunks. While not a false positive, a poor hit is simply a lower chance of finding the thing. But yeah, without node search prospecting is way more tedious and awful.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

In Project Zomboid I'm not sure what, exactly, changed between B40 and B41 but they made combat far more unforgiving. I've long since forgotten how it was in B40, but I definitely put multihit on (as well as drag down and back vulnerability) and I'm still not entirely certain how I'm supposed to handle the 40+ zombie hordes other than simply staying away if I'm not keen to do a molotov trick.
You're not really supposed to handle them other than picking them off slowly or using stuff like molotovs and bombs (which attract even more). Hordes are supposed to be a real threat

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They're not actually that much of an issue if you have multihit on and space, i've found. Playing on multi and typically a combat guy would just walk up and clear it, usually by himself. It was the homebody characters that couldn't do it without a few tricks.

Worth noting that in b41 guns aren't actually that loud anymore. People still treat them like a death sentence but once you have a little aiming skill and some ammo you can pretty handily clear a horde and whatever it brings in very quickly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

multi hit with one of the good two handers like a spiked bat or an axe, with "drag down" disabled (the way the game worked by default a couple of patches ago) is pretty fun

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

dogstile posted:

They're not actually that much of an issue if you have multihit on and space, i've found. Playing on multi and typically a combat guy would just walk up and clear it, usually by himself. It was the homebody characters that couldn't do it without a few tricks.

This makes sense. I play a lot more home-minded characters, but I've looked at the stat gains when you level up combat and strength/fitness and someone who is focused on those can get really deadly really fast.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I really, really like drag down in B41 specifically because it reminds me that if I gently caress around, I'm gonna find out. I can comfortably handle small hordes if I have a good build and a good two-hander (multi-hit should be default imo), but all it takes is letting my defense slip against just a couple of them and it doesn't matter how much protection I am, I'm going down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

HelloSailorSign posted:

This makes sense. I play a lot more home-minded characters, but I've looked at the stat gains when you level up combat and strength/fitness and someone who is focused on those can get really deadly really fast.

Not even that, i'm like, 5 days in? I'm on a server with sprinters on, I started out very underweight and I panic whenever I go outside.

I had like 300 zombie kills by day 5. Multihit is ridiculously overpowered. I actually don't know how people get bit outside of surprise zombies.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

dogstile posted:

I actually don't know how people get bit outside of surprise zombies.
Usually it's overconfidence and/or trying to kill a downed zombie as another one lurches in, not leaving enough time/distance to recover from attacking. I've been guilty of this a few times when B41 first landed, because it was so easy to get away with doing this prior to then.

Speaking of surprise zombies, I got out of my van after a quick raid around town and BAM! Some fucker had managed to stumble all the way to our safehouse undetected, got lost/bored in a hedge then got the jump on me. That's another mauling and a near-fatal neck injury that's left me doing housework (i.e. building the rest of a giant wall) for a week while my buddies go and have all the fun cleaning up the town. Thin-skinned and Slow Healer seemed like free points at the time (they absolutely were on B40) but here you're just so utterly vulnerable that even ONE wrong move can send you back to the character creation screen.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My deaths are usually when I get 30+ coming after me in a clump and my, "walk backwards while swinging baseball bat" eventually fails to knock all the ones in range down and one grabs me. Once I've got nimble 3+ and long blunt 3+ though that usually doesn't happen.

I used to put standard doors into my walls until I had one too many, "open door key is same as jump over wall key" which led to me jumping into a group of zombies instead of opening the door for them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dogstile posted:

Not even that, i'm like, 5 days in? I'm on a server with sprinters on, I started out very underweight and I panic whenever I go outside.

I had like 300 zombie kills by day 5. Multihit is ridiculously overpowered. I actually don't know how people get bit outside of surprise zombies.

it's all good fun until your weapon breaks, or you run out of stamina etc

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have any thoughts on Barotrauma? It’s 75% off so $7.49

https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

There are lots of really positive reviews but it seems like it might be multiplayer only? I can’t really tell.

quote:

Barotrauma is a 2D co-op submarine simulator – in space, with survival horror elements. Steer your submarine, give orders, fight monsters, fix leaks, operate machinery, man the guns and craft items, and stay alert: danger in Barotrauma doesn’t announce itself!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Fanatical have bundle with barotrauma and two other pick for :10bux:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Barotrauma? It’s 75% off so $7.49

https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

There are lots of really positive reviews but it seems like it might be multiplayer only? I can’t really tell.

When I played it was multiplayer only, and really wanted for like 4 or more.

It also seemed like a game that maybe you need someone incompetent, goofy, or play the traitor mode because playing with two semi competent people on a small sub was really manageable and thus really boring. Maybe we didn’t get far enough along but the vibe was off for two players anyway so we dropped it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Barotrauma can get excruciatingly hard and with only 4 players you're limited to the smaller subs. Bigger ones are too hard to man with a skeleton crew. The AI bots have come a long way, apparently, but they're not fun the way other players are.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Barotrauma is absolutely fantastic if you have at least a 5 person group, though around 8-9 is probably better for the bigger subs or just for maximum chaos. It has both a co-op campaign and the single rounds that can incorporate traitors. Very fun, great organic gameplay and gets genuinely difficult the deeper you go. You can of course play single player and the bots have gotten significantly better recently, but ultimately the game is way more fun with other people. For multiplayer there is both local and radio text/voice chat in game, but you can also just get a group going on discord.

Honestly the game has kept getting better and better with every major or minor update, and the devs have been great about squashing any significant bugs pretty quickly. We've also got a goon group playing on the weekends on one of the co-op goons discord servers if you wanted an easy group to join. We just started our most recent campaign and have a number of newbies along , and have Jovian Radiation turned off so we can take it easy.

Have some clips from the goon group's escapades.

https://streamable.com/umjytd

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/919363920978935808/Tio_realizes_something.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783396199344373811/937133393060184114/comic_relief.mp4

Also, there are clowns. Whether this a pro or con is up to you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Maybe I just don't have a robust enough social network but I can't imagine getting 7-8 friends together, regularly, for a long-term, campaign based game like this, even if we were all into it. I struggle to manage half that with any reliability for occasional tabletop games. Everyone has too much scheduled, myself included, to set aside that many big chunks of time. Being old sucks. :(

Still, if you could get that going, I imagine it'd be a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there are a few subs available online that work fine with 3-5 players, i took one and modified it to make the interior less stupid and had a blast with friends.

however you will be playing on hardmode with less bodies to lose

but yeah, barotrauma's great, and the sub editor is amazing