Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The immune system is very complex, and children are not just tiny adults.
I hear this refrain a lot, but what is this if not treating children as tiny adults?
... I feel like the question is just how tiny, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

It makes me so angry. I understand their precaution, but they know that:

a) there will be a two dose initial vaccination, and

b) two to six months later a third dose.

Those initial doses will give children some immunity/better outcomes. They'll complete the trial in 2-6 months, when the booster would be administered. Even if the first doses aren't the optimized amount, they give some protection.

My children will get vaccinated regardless. And at this point I'd rather they have some, even if not wholely adequate, protection during this surge. It's just delaying the inevitable. Jesus, I'm so angry they're dragging it out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^ agree

Kids under 8 ppppprobably* won't get long covid due to their age and growth and toddler magic but if I can limit that crap, that would be great

*gut feeling, no science was applied in this probably

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My dad had juvenile diabetes, so my kids already probably have a genetic disposition towards it, and apparently covid had increased instances of diabetes in children... There's nothing I can do, I just want to scream into the void most days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A lot of juvenile diabetes is linked to a strain of viruses apparently. They've developed a vaccine against these viruses (enteroviruses) in Finland. The vaccine is in trials atm, hopefully it can be given to kids asap as part of the national vaccination programme when it's ready.

https://www.jyu.fi/en/current/archive/2020/05/possible-vaccine-for-virus-linked-to-type-1-diabetes.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m also frustrated at the delay, but childhood - especially young childhood- approvals have been very conservative and risk vs benefit focused and that isn’t going to change on a dime. Especially since young children don’t have the same risk profile as adults for covid, approval has a different threshold for the group, because the group has a different need.

Nobody wants their vaccine to cause more problems than it solves, especially in kids. And nobody wants to push to vaccinate tons of little kids and then oooops turns out it doesn’t do jack for their immunity but now you’re exposing them all the time.

I have two under 3- I really want this thing to get approved, but I also want it to be a safe and effective dose.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be a first-time parent in a few months.

Something I am very worried about is how to manage my child's eventual access to the internet.

I know it's a bit unrealistic to worry about this now, as the kid probably won't be able to use an internet-capable device for another few years.

But, I see a lot of my friends and family members giving their young (3-5 years old) children tablets with no restrictions. I'm worried that if I don't do the same, my child won't fit in. But, I am also aware of the negative effects that early social media exposure can have (part of my job involves studying this).

Basically, I don't want to be all Ned Flanders but I also don't want my kid to be radicalized by some YouTube dipshit or something.

How have others dealt with this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's parents got our daughter a kid's edition Kindle Fire for Christmas when she was four. It's got a limited selection of media and games for her to choose from and it's got time limits that (mostly) kick in as expected. She's 6 now and I haven't heard anything from her about feeling left out. No idea what her classmates' internet access is like, though.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We give our kid a tablet with a few painting games and tv shows loaded on it while we're out, but it has no data roaming and no internet access unless we turn it on.

Eventually we'll teach him about YouTube and how to navigate it and how to avoid hosed up content, but that's for a few years from now.

I totally get fretting about it way early, though. It's something you *can* think about, since right now there's just so many unknowns it's hard to imagine those early days. You're gonna do fine, caring is the most important thing a parent can do.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Dr.D-O posted:

Something I am very worried about is how to manage my child's eventual access to the internet.

I know it's a bit unrealistic to worry about this now, as the kid probably won't be able to use an internet-capable device for another few years.

But, I see a lot of my friends and family members giving their young (3-5 years old) children tablets with no restrictions. I'm worried that if I don't do the same, my child won't fit in. But, I am also aware of the negative effects that early social media exposure can have (part of my job involves studying this).

Basically, I don't want to be all Ned Flanders but I also don't want my kid to be radicalized by some YouTube dipshit or something.

How have others dealt with this?

I'm probably an outlier in here because I pretty much just let my kid(5) use her tablet all day if she wants, for the most part she doesn't want to and does other stuff, and in practice M-F she's in school from 7-6 and then there's dinner/possible homework/bedtime routine, so the actual time she can user her tablet most days is a couple hours tops. I don't allow youtube because she became completely obsessed with ryan's world and I can't stand that kid, and just in general I do think there are issues with how efficient the algorithm is at making my kid watch just complete poo poo like endless gacha toy openings etc. She whines a bit about the lack of youtube, but not hard to stay strong on the ban at all. She has a ton of apps on there, her favorites are: "Teach your monster to read," "ABC Mouse," "Khan Academy Kids," and "Kodable." Then she watches stuff on Netflix/Amazon prime a fair amount and can navigate all that on her own. I don't think it's a big deal, she seems fine developmentally and aside from Youtube is perfectly fine with turning off the tablet when it's time to do something else because it isn't a special treat.

Pretty much been this way since the pandemic, which started when she was 3 and she had a lot more screen time from 3-4 because she wasn't going to school in person then. They did 30 minutes of zoom a week and assigned some different apps, but basically she just spent a lot of time on her tablet doing whatever she wanted while my wife and I tried to work full time.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kids YouTube let’s you create profiles for your kids, based on age so they only get age appropriate videos.

Kidtopia is another app that’s fun and doesn’t have the academic rigor of abcmouse… which is funny for me to think and write

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Kids YouTube let’s you create profiles for your kids, based on age so they only get age appropriate videos.

Kidtopia is another app that’s fun and doesn’t have the academic rigor of abcmouse… which is funny for me to think and write

I'd like to pretend ABC Mouse is academically rigorous, but she pretty much refuses to do the learning path and spends all her time building incredibly elaborate homes for her hamsters or doing other random things that aren't the learning path that give tickets so she can buy stuff out of the store(for the hamsters.) She's also pretty into chess adventure for kids right now, which does an impressive job of teaching chess to a kid who can barely read. That requires a bunch of intervention though since she sometimes can't figure out what they're trying to show her.

I'm pretty sure Ryan's videos and the stuff she was watching were "age appropriate" they just really push lovely toys. You're probably right that I could restrict it down so she couldn't see the stuff I don't like, but easier just to ban youtube and let her watch curated shows on netflix/amazon and do age appropriate apps.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sivart13 posted:

I hear this refrain a lot, but what is this if not treating children as tiny adults?
There's a tendency in the pediatric world (especially among non-physicians and physicians in training) to think of children as "tiny adults" since many of their practices do involve linearly scaling back things like medication based on body weight. The mantra is a reminder that children function differently than adults and that always needs to be kept in mind when treating them--particularly when your intended treatments don't work as expected.

So yes, Pfizer scaled back their mRNA dosage in pediatric populations as you would expect them to do. I mean, they barely know what's an effective dose to illicit the desired immune response in adults, so scaling back by a third is a shot in the dark to see if it works. For the 5+ age group, it worked. For younger children they scaled the dosage back further and it didn't work as expected. Which is "fine" since this is all part of the research.

What would not be fine is giving an adult-dose or even an older-child-dose vaccine to a young child "off label" in absence of rigorous data to indicate that it's both safe and effective.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Me to my kids yesterday (7 year old boy; 10 year old girl on the cusp of puberty):

You're both such miseries this evening. You [to my son] are being a complete whinge bag. And you [to my daughter] are just being all moody.

Daughter: Well, I've got an excuse.
Me: What's that?
Daughter (hands on hips): Hormones!

Fair enough.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

killer crane posted:

My children will get vaccinated regardless. And at this point I'd rather they have some, even if not wholely adequate, protection during this surge. It's just delaying the inevitable. Jesus, I'm so angry they're dragging it out.
I selfishly want my children vaccinated as much as anyone, but to be honest my children or your children being vaccinated isn't going to solve much of anything regarding the pandemic's effect on children.

Once COVID vaccines are approved they need to get shots into as many children's arms and thighs as possible--there needs to be a large uptake of the vaccines in pediatric populations. What I'm afraid of is that any approved pediatric vaccine will become politicized, especially is there's any notion that it's been rushed or safety compromised, because if there's concern around the vaccine then parents will opt out of it, and that's a problem. Worse, I'd really worry for any potential politicization of a COVID vaccine to spill over to other routinely-given pediatric vaccines that are currently given without much serious opposition. We don't need, say, measles, to make a major comeback because Joe Rogan found a way to extend his grift.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr.D-O posted:

You have a ways to go before this is an issue, and by the time it comes up the landscape may have changed enough that we're not providing useful advice. But anyways:

Dr.D-O posted:

Children 3-5 aren't worried about not "fitting in" due to the lack of tablet ownership. They're also not on social media at that age. At that age they're just starting to learn how to read, and their tablet use is all about tapping the correct pictures/icons to get what they want.

As a general point, pretty much all the child-driven content on Disney+ (which are/were mostly Disney Junior shows) are fine. Netflix Kids is also mostly fine--the biggest issue here is the eventual discovery of Cocomelon and that's more about the insanity of hours of badly animated non-canonical nursery rhymes.

YouTube is the one I don't like because it has (or certainly had) a problem with attention-exploiting videos for advertising revenue that often features non-curated AI-whatever content, some of which might be legitimately (if unintentionally) Bad Stuff. We don't have the YouTube app installed on our iPad and since our kids are too young to know what a web browser is (see bit about just learning to read) problem solved.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

We don't need, say, measles, to make a major comeback because Joe Rogan found a way to extend his grift.

Ask me about how fun it was to have a 9 month old too young to get an MMR shot when the local unvaccinated community decided to bring measles to a sporting event.

it was not fun

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
When my daughter is watched by my father in law he occasionally puts on YouTube accordion videos.

The other evening I came to the sunroom to see what he was watching before bed, and he was watching a YouTube video that compared different types of construction glue.

So I can probably expect that next.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dr.D-O posted:

worries about the series of tubes

All of our kids have gotten a Fire Kids at 4. They get one hour a day, browsers are blocked, they're on Amazon FreeTime so it's all kid-friendly stuff. Sometimes they watch SpongeBob or Super Wings, sometimes they play Dr. Panda or Toca games. Online interaction with others is strictly by approval only (meaning Messenger Kids and wife and I control who to put on their lists).

As far as YouTube goes, we monitor what they watch and if I hear anything worse than "hell" in a video, they're not allowed to watch that person anymore. They were sad when they couldn't watch Jelly/Slogo/the third guy play Minecraft anymore, and PrestonPlayz, but I'm not gonna have them listening to people cussing. (They love GamingWithKev's Roblox videos :3:).

My point being, as long as you keep an eye on it, they should be fine. None of our kids give a flying poo poo about fitting in based on cell phones (loving kindergarteners with the drat things) or tablets, even prior to us pulling them out of public school to homeschool. Maybe drive the point home that validation doesn't come from the masses but from within and within one's family.

External Organs posted:

The other evening I came to the sunroom to see what he was watching before bed, and he was watching a YouTube video that compared different types of construction glue.

#4 likes to watch garbage truck and lawn mowing videos occasionally, and they all love the videos of those two Southeast Asian guys who build house-holes in the dirt :v:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What I'm afraid of is that any approved pediatric vaccine will become politicized, especially is there's any notion that it's been rushed or safety compromised, because if there's concern around the vaccine then parents will opt out of it, and that's a problem.
Less than 20% of kids in the 5-11 age group are fully vaccinated and it's been available since November (?) so I feel like that ship has sailed. People who want it, want it, and people who don't are not going to be convinced by an extra 3 month delay.

I'm not that worried about bad health outcomes from Covid for my little ones, the main impact in my life is that at preschool there's different quarantine rules for vaccinated vs non-vaccinated kids. We had an exposure event and the vaccinated over-fives were allowed to come back after one negative test while the under-fives had to get a negative test and stay home 7 days.

here's another detailed fun (?) breakdown of current vaccination rates

Kaiser Family Foundation posted:

Significant variation remains at the state level with a 52 percentage point difference between the top and bottom ranking states in the share of children with at least one dose. This difference is much larger than the span for adults (27 percentage points). The share of children having received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose ranged from 63.1% in Vermont to just 11.2% in Mississippi (Table 1). The top ten states have vaccinated more than a third of 5-11 year-olds, with three states at more than 50%; the bottom ten states have vaccinated fewer than 20%. The spread between top and bottom ranking states for those fully vaccinated is 47 percentage points, and ranges from 52% in Vermont to 5.3% in Alabama.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 26, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sivart13 posted:

Less than 20% of kids in the 5-11 age group are fully vaccinated and it's been available since November (?) so I feel like that ship has sailed. People who want it, want it, and people who don't are not going to be convinced by an extra 3 month delay.
The difference is that 5-11 year olds have a Pediatric well-check once a year (if they even go to that) and the vaccine hasn't been out for a year, so I agree with your statement in that age group.

However for those under two Pediatric well-checks are every three months and there's routinely vaccinations performed at them. This is the age group that needs to add a COVID vaccine to their existing schedule, and arguably would be the ones to most benefit from it as an endemic disease going forward.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

My wife's parents got our daughter a kid's edition Kindle Fire for Christmas when she was four. It's got a limited selection of media and games for her to choose from and it's got time limits that (mostly) kick in as expected. She's 6 now and I haven't heard anything from her about feeling left out. No idea what her classmates' internet access is like, though.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

We give our kid a tablet with a few painting games and tv shows loaded on it while we're out, but it has no data roaming and no internet access unless we turn it on.

Eventually we'll teach him about YouTube and how to navigate it and how to avoid hosed up content, but that's for a few years from now.

TV Zombie posted:

I didn't even think about limited-access devices or software. Everyone I know has literally given their children iPads with no restrictions, so I guess I just assumed it wasn't possible.

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm probably an outlier in here because I pretty much just let my kid(5) use her tablet all day if she wants, for the most part she doesn't want to and does other stuff, and in practice M-F she's in school from 7-6 and then there's dinner/possible homework/bedtime routine, so the actual time she can user her tablet most days is a couple hours tops. I don't allow youtube because she became completely obsessed with ryan's world and I can't stand that kid, and just in general I do think there are issues with how efficient the algorithm is at making my kid watch just complete poo poo like endless gacha toy openings etc. She whines a bit about the lack of youtube, but not hard to stay strong on the ban at all. She has a ton of apps on there, her favorites are: "Teach your monster to read," "ABC Mouse," "Khan Academy Kids," and "Kodable." Then she watches stuff on Netflix/Amazon prime a fair amount and can navigate all that on her own. I don't think it's a big deal, she seems fine developmentally and aside from Youtube is perfectly fine with turning off the tablet when it's time to do something else because it isn't a special treat.

The sheer lack of time for screens is a good observation that I hadn't considered. I suppose it's not much different from when I was a kid and you'd only get an hour or so to do something fun in the evening.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

YouTube is the one I don't like because it has (or certainly had) a problem with attention-exploiting videos for advertising revenue that often features non-curated AI-whatever content, some of which might be legitimately (if unintentionally) Bad Stuff. We don't have the YouTube app installed on our iPad and since our kids are too young to know what a web browser is (see bit about just learning to read) problem solved.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm most worried about YoutTube as a social media platform, for the same reasons you expressed. I'm not concerned about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

I'm also worried about the long-term impact on my kid, not the immediate feeling of being left out socially. Mostly due to my own experience growing up. My parents did not let us have video games or watch cartoons. They didn't buy us toys, either (my grandmother did, but only used toys so all of my stuff was out of date). As I got older, it made it harder for my friends to spend time with me because we just didn't have the same frame of reference (e.g., they'd talk about Pokemon, Dragonball, etc. and all I had seen was Mister Rogers, Polka-Roo, or other public-access edutainment). This is still a problem, even though I'm in my 30s. I just don't want to set my kid up to be a social outcast from the get-go. They probably will be just by being related to me, but I'd like to mitigate that as much as possible.

D34THROW posted:

All of our kids have gotten a Fire Kids at 4. They get one hour a day, browsers are blocked, they're on Amazon FreeTime so it's all kid-friendly stuff. Sometimes they watch SpongeBob or Super Wings, sometimes they play Dr. Panda or Toca games. Online interaction with others is strictly by approval only (meaning Messenger Kids and wife and I control who to put on their lists).

As far as YouTube goes, we monitor what they watch and if I hear anything worse than "hell" in a video, they're not allowed to watch that person anymore. They were sad when they couldn't watch Jelly/Slogo/the third guy play Minecraft anymore, and PrestonPlayz, but I'm not gonna have them listening to people cussing. (They love GamingWithKev's Roblox videos :3:).

My point being, as long as you keep an eye on it, they should be fine. None of our kids give a flying poo poo about fitting in based on cell phones (loving kindergarteners with the drat things) or tablets, even prior to us pulling them out of public school to homeschool. Maybe drive the point home that validation doesn't come from the masses but from within and within one's family.

Thank you for your insight!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Both of my kids have android tablets with KidsPlace installed. It replaces the default launcher so they can only access the apps I authorize and I can toggle on and off the wifi for each one. There are also time limits for overall use or per app. We've used it for ~5 years now and it's worked great for us.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

loving wild. My friends, both vaccinated and their 3 year old. The husband has Covid but the other two don’t. They’re super cautious too.

Same - my friend didn't get sick, but all three kids and his wife all had symptoms. Kids all below vaccination age (12, :sweden:) but thankfully they all did OK with just flu symptoms.

His Divine Shadow posted:

A lot of juvenile diabetes is linked to a strain of viruses apparently. They've developed a vaccine against these viruses (enteroviruses) in Finland. The vaccine is in trials atm, hopefully it can be given to kids asap as part of the national vaccination programme when it's ready.

https://www.jyu.fi/en/current/archive/2020/05/possible-vaccine-for-virus-linked-to-type-1-diabetes

Fixed link.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I have a Fire tablet but I ran that stuff that gets rid of Amazon ads and lets you install the Google Play store. YouTube is so picky about what's allowed for children's content, and the dude who makes really good Thomas train videos in his yard (Pine Junction something?) wasn't showing up on YT Kids app, so I just made him a Google account and use regular YouTube, but rarely and always supervised. He's 2.7yo now and knows to skip ads when the 5 seconds are up. Once hes older and has more autonomy with this stuff we'll have to lock down devices with time restrictions, but now I do really like the PBS Kids games helping Elmo use the potty and counting stuff. He started out with just sesame street but found the Daniel Tiger games that go into feeling different emotions. The few Clifford games on there don't seem particularly educational but to be fair he's known for his size not intelligence.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dr.D-O posted:

I just don't want to set my kid up to be a social outcast from the get-go.
First of all you're a few months out from having your first kid. I don't think you can really do anything in the first year of a child's life that would cast them as a social outcast, so of all the things about parenthood to be worried about this really isn't it.

Second, if you have the means, you should try to be engaged with your children to know what their (media) interests are, who their friends are, and what their friends interests are. It's fine for your kids to browse YouTube under your supervision--which might consist of "YouTube night" or whatever where you watch videos together and you can either shutdown bad content, or help steer them towards content you think is better, or at least be there to explain/discuss things they don't understand. Same with video games, cartoons, or whatever it is that kids might be interested in five years from you--you should take an interest in it too.

Ideally your parents would've done that 30 years ago--instead of rejecting video games outright they would've followed your interests and come to understand them, themselves. Of course, that's easier said than done and they may not have done that because they were incredibly busy/working/trying to parent/trying to make ends meet and simply were doing the best they could.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Toddler is having a time bomb day. 2 days of poo poo sleep and no naps so anything and everything can and will set her off on a 20 minute tantrum. Today so far the tantrums have come as a result of putting on pants, daddy washing his hands, and agreeing she can watch tv but only for a little bit.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

nachos posted:

daddy washing his hands

Same thing happened here today :hfive:

The fix? His mom washing her hands :shuckyes:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

remigious posted:

I am grateful for food chat. My one year old apparently chows down at daycare but getting him to eat at home is terrible. He thinks it’s hilarious to look us in the eye and toss his food to the floor. Spoon feeding him is a no-go because he wants to feed himself. It took 45 minutes to get him to eat two chicken nuggets last night. I’m just worried because we are transitioning away from formula and I want to make sure he’s consuming enough calories. Maybe he just hates the high chair? I don’t know.

We read about doing a thing where if the kid is throwing food, you tell them "you're throwing food around, so you're telling me that you're done", and then take the food away.

We usually give a bit of leeway, like dropping a few pieces of food we'll tolerate, but not going ham and throwing everything or ripping the bowl off the tray and emptying it out. (And usually those are pretty clear signs that he is done, anyway.)

With the dog, he figured out pretty quickly that he can summon her by dropping food, so now we just send her out of the room if he starts doing that. It stopped pretty quickly.

Silent Linguist posted:

My son had his 15-month checkup today, and the doctor recommended doing early intervention because he is still not talking. Feeling optimistic that it’ll help (he does tons of babbling and pointing so I feel like he just needs a little push in the right direction).

Post/username combo.

But yeah, what I've heard is that by "words" they just want to see consistent sounds that seem to have meaning. Like our 14mo can say "dada" and "mama", does a ton of pointing, does a ton of babbling, understands a whole lot, and has started sometimes trying to make the first syllable of some words, like "da" for "dog", "pa" for "pants", etc. Can we say that he's "talking" or clearly saying more than 2-3 words? Probably not. But he seems pretty on track?

His babbling has been getting very cute lately, though:
"Goy goy goy goy goy goy GOY!"
"Dakkadakkadakkadakkadakka"
"Hlee"
etc

Also he'll definitely say "da" and point at something for "that", usually in the sense of "what's that?" or "give that!" But he'll also chain it with some babble with a bunch of tonal inflection.

We'll be reading a book, and it'll be:

"Da?"
"That's kitten."
"De da?"
"That's the moon."
"Da de da?"
"That's a firefly."
"Doo da dee da?"
"That's kitten again."

calandryll posted:

I was changing our daughter's diaper and when I came back from throwing it away she goes daddy I have a hole. She was spread open wondering whats its for. I told her the proper scientific name and what it's for and she goes babies live there? Lol fun times.

We're big proponents of using the correct terms for anatomy. I think it helps a lot for later (age-appropriate) discussions around sex vs gender, sexuality, etc.

Recently we had a friend staying with her 3YO, and there was a dinner table conversation something like:

(Kid drinks some water too fast and coughs a bit.)
Mom: Oh yeah you drank that a bit fast and it went down the wrong hole.
Kid: How many holes do I have at the back of my mouth?
Mom: You have two, your oesophagus and your trachea.
Kid: And when it goes down my oesophagus then I cough.
Mom: No, everything you eat and drink goes down your oesophagus. You breathe through your trachea. If food or drink goes down your trachea, then you cough. And after your oesophagus, where does it go?
Kid: My stomach!
Mom: That's right, and then it goes to your duodenum, then your jejenum, then your ilium, and those are all parts of your small intestine. Then it goes to your large intestine.
Kid: And then it comes out my vulva!
Mom: No, poop comes out your butt.
Kid: But pee comes out my vulva!
Mom: That's right, you have a hole inside your vulva called your urethra, and that's where pee comes out of.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tom Smykowski posted:

Same thing happened here today :hfive:

The fix? His mom washing her hands :shuckyes:

I want to experience toddler brain, even if only for a few minutes. Maybe it'll help me empathize with this ridiculous tiny human.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

We're big proponents of using the correct terms for anatomy. I think it helps a lot for later (age-appropriate) discussions around sex vs gender, sexuality, etc.

We're the same. It makes it much easier for discussion or at least I hope it will. My wife's family was a bit more conservative in that regard so some of our conversations about the topic. Whereas my mother was a hippie so it was a lot different for me.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Re: correct terms for body parts, sometimes my wife will do therapy with kids that have been abused, and they never really learned appropriate terms for their body parts. She has had multiple occasions where the activity of the day involves practicing good phrases for getting someone to stop abuse. So it won't be uncommon for her and the kid to be loudly shouting "DONT TOUCH MY VAGINA!" multiple times during the session.

She usually warns the front desk people that this will be going on.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I don't allow either of my kids to have access to any video streaming on the tablet anymore (7 and 4). If they want to watch a show then it can go on the TV where we can monitor it. In practice every time we've allowed it they abscond with the tablet and immediately fall into a weird video content hole while out of eye- and ear-shot.

They can do their coding apps or the Libby app for books or the few non-addictive games we have on the iPad without supervision. But we found it was just impossible to let them loose with video access of any sort.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

External Organs posted:

Re: correct terms for body parts, sometimes my wife will do therapy with kids that have been abused, and they never really learned appropriate terms for their body parts. She has had multiple occasions where the activity of the day involves practicing good phrases for getting someone to stop abuse. So it won't be uncommon for her and the kid to be loudly shouting "DONT TOUCH MY VAGINA!" multiple times during the session.

She usually warns the front desk people that this will be going on.

Yeah I think that's the other big benefit, that it gives a kid some protection from abuse if they know the terms to use to tell someone to stop, or to describe what happened to other adults afterwards.

It might also help them as an adult to be better at negotiating consent.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Talking coding apps, any recommendations for iPad coding apps for a 7 year old? My son is showing an interest in making stuff and I'd like to help him explore and learn what he can do.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dirty Needles posted:

Talking coding apps, any recommendations for iPad coding apps for a 7 year old? My son is showing an interest in making stuff and I'd like to help him explore and learn what he can do.

At that age, TBH I doubt that any kind of "real" programming is really feasible, but interactive toys like The Incredible Machine may have a huge appeal. I think if it's setting problems for the kid to solve, and not just free sandbox playing, that sets up the brain for the kind of thinking that you need when programming (or indeed doing STEM in general).

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-incredible-machine-1mg

I'm sure there's a modern, sexier version for tablets, somewhere.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For that age group, check out "scratch" on raspberry pi it's programming targeted at that age group. Drag and drop verb and noun programming with lots of discoverable stuff along the way

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-scratch/

You can install it on a regular windows laptop, it just so happens to come preinstalled on every raspberry pi and you can use it to blink LEDs on the board or even control servos to manipulate stuff in the real world if you plug them into the GPIO pins

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

DaveSauce posted:

WELP

Wake up this morning and it looks like it's going to be a normal day. Should have been my first clue...

[...]

[wife] tests positive.

I take one, and I'm also positive.

hey who wants to see me eat my words:

DaveSauce posted:

IIRC rapid tests have a higher false positive rate.

But symptomatic + positive rapid is very likely COVID.

PCR is more accurate than rapid. If the PCR comes back negative somehow, then I would trust that over a rapid, but personally I would like to confirm with another rapid or another PCR. In any case, anything presenting with covid-like symptoms is not something you want to spread around because you'll cause other people the same heartache and confusion that you're experiencing.

Hey here's a relatively recent NPR write-up about it:

lmao PCR came back negative for all 4 of us. Not really eating my words I guess since I did state I would like additional confirmation in this scenario...

But both my wife and I did another at-home rapid this morning and we both came back positive (though the line was way more faint than before, almost invisible on my wife's).

So we're still assuming we're positive. That said, the numbers simply don't add up here... first 2 at-home rapids are very clearly positive for my wife and I, and 1 negative at-home rapid for my daughter. Then all 4 of us got negative PCRs, but that was followed by 2 more at-home rapid positives for my wife and I. Haven't re-tested our daughter with a rapid yet, but I'm going to assume negative again.

It's just so weird that all 4 PCRs would be negative. I would expect at least 1 of them to show positive given the rapid results. Between my wife an I, our rapids were from different boxes each time. Same lot, though, so if there was some error in the manufacturing they would all likely be affected the same way. But the results are a very different shade line from the first round, so it's unlikely to be some manufacturing glitch that got control on the result line.

poo poo's wild, don't know what to believe anymore. Going to see if we can rope in some medical professionals to see if we can sort anything out. Not sure that'll change anything with regards to keeping the kids home from day care, but we absolutely want to make sure we know what to do for the kids, so we're going to call the pediatrician today to see what they think... maybe can get some tests administered by someone qualified just in case we screwed something up ourselves (the PCRs were self-administered). The main thing is we want some certainty so we can react accordingly if the kids' symptoms change. Both of them have runny noses and an occasional cough, but that's been like the last 6 months so who the hell knows.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My initial thought, as someone whose education is in medical lab testing but is not a ‘true’ expert on these tests, is that you guys have a non Covid-19 virus going around your house with a similar antigen on it that cross reacts with the rapid antigen tests. PCR is generally more specific since it tests for a certain sequence, and antigen tests (as a class of tests) tend to be more cross-reactive due to how they work.

(Also, I’m really curious as to how much we are learning about the epidemiological behavior of coronaviruses/common cold viruses via covid, because oh boy they’re being looked at in a way they never were before.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Dirty Needles posted:

My 5 year old at least likes Kodable, it eventually teaches javascript supposedly, but she hasn't really gotten to that part. It does teach branches/loops/functions in a pretty intuitive way and she will do it unprompted.