Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It annoys me in Nobody Saves the World that the challenge dungeons don't award Form XP. To me that seems like exactly the type of place you'd want to earn Form XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

elf help book posted:

I'm just playing hare hare yukai over and over send help

Can't Im trapped playing it too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It annoys me in Nobody Saves the World that the challenge dungeons don't award Form XP. To me that seems like exactly the type of place you'd want to earn Form XP.

The idea seems to have been they're much harder than the other dungeons, so you should be focusing on using your best builds and combos rather than just suiciding constantly grinding more form XP. It does not work, both because thats not how people are and because they're often much easier than random dungeons.

Or you can be me and max out Form XP prior to doing them for both first and second half of game.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I'm not an Xbox guy so I'm sorry if this question is asked an annoying amount of times, but I promise it's a quick one.

If I already have a Switch and PS5 for my primary gaming needs, how ridiculous would it be to buy a Series S just for Game Pass? I can't justify/have negligible interest in a PC, much less a Series X, but I'd like the option of playing Halo Infinite with my homies and whatever handful of games on Pass I've missed over the years. I probably won't be buying any individual games for the Series S at all, but Game Pass admittedly seems pretty sweet so I'm not sure if this is the norm.

I'm leaning toward just buying the drat thing since I can swing the $300, but I'd love a goon opinion/any details I might've missed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah buy it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Considering Game Pass is the most batshit insane deal in gaming and seems to only be getting more batshit insane in the near future, $300 for a Game Pass machine sounds just fine. I honestly haven't bought many games at all since picking up a launch day Series X. Mostly just a Game Pass machine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thunder Bear posted:

I'm not an Xbox guy so I'm sorry if this question is asked an annoying amount of times, but I promise it's a quick one.

If I already have a Switch and PS5 for my primary gaming needs, how ridiculous would it be to buy a Series S just for Game Pass? I can't justify/have negligible interest in a PC, much less a Series X, but I'd like the option of playing Halo Infinite with my homies and whatever handful of games on Pass I've missed over the years. I probably won't be buying any individual games for the Series S at all, but Game Pass admittedly seems pretty sweet so I'm not sure if this is the norm.

I'm leaning toward just buying the drat thing since I can swing the $300, but I'd love a goon opinion/any details I might've missed.

Its not ridiculous.
If you dont have a pc, gods console, then the next best thing is to own the trifecta

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Thunder Bear posted:

I've got a switch and ps5 and have a series S basically as a game pass/360 BC machine. it for sure doesnt get as much use as the ps5 but I'd say it is worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

elf help book posted:

I'm just playing hare hare yukai over and over send help

make sure to play angel dream and CHA LA HEAD CHA LA

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
That was stupid fast, thank you.

Looks like my local Target has a few in stock, so I'll probably swing by once I finish today's errands. :)

As long as I'm here: does Halo Infinite have split-screen/couch multiplayer or can I wait on extra controllers for now?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If you don't have a PC I think personally I would vote for a Series X but yeah I don't think you'd regret having a game pass box.

Thunder Bear posted:

As long as I'm here: does Halo Infinite have split-screen/couch multiplayer or can I wait on extra controllers for now?

Couch co-op isn't in right now and is coming out in a few months supposedly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thunder Bear posted:

no no-op :(

it takes 2 on gamepass is really good 2 player co-op

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thunder Bear posted:

Like the list of games available is here (scroll past the first two list on coming and leaving games):

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-game-pass-games-list-this-month-price-6400

There is... a lot. I mean it always depends on your particularly situation of course, but what I like about the list is it has a pretty good coverage of genres, and a lot of old and new stuff.

I don't subscribe to it as I'm on PC and have a pretty long back catalog of games still getting through, but if you just want to play Halo and try out some older stuff that you missed... well like it's pretty cheap, and the catalogs pretty large, but would be worth checking through the list just make sure before buying a systems in case you had more specific older stuff you wanted to check out not included.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Thunder Bear posted:

I have all three consoles, and have ended up using my Series X all the time and hardly touching the PS5. Between gamepass and rewards points, I'm swimming in Xbox games new and old without dropping any more cash.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

MikeRabsitch posted:

If you don't have a PC I think personally I would vote for a Series X but yeah I don't think you'd regret having a game pass box.

Any particular reason? I'm not a PC/Xbox guy so I'm not privy on the ecosystem at all, but I am a little curious.

In a perfect world without supply issues where my paycheck was a little bigger, I might've bitten on a Series X just for the sake of having one, but as of now I can't really justify it money-/time-/game-wise. I also have no patience for hunting one down (my PS5 was a gift so I really lucked out there), but the Series S is seemingly everywhere.

EDIT: also the white Series S will match my PS5 and Switch OLED. :)

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 27, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

its just a better console that will be more future proofed. can play lots of disk games as well, 4k bluray (but you got a ps5 so i wouldn;t worry)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i got an old-rear end 1080p/60hz tv that i dont really care about upgrading any time soon so the xbox small works for me. i guess technically the PS5 or series X is more "future proofed" but i'm mostly using it for old generation back-compat games and Peggle 2 anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

elf help book posted:

I have all three consoles, and have ended up using my Series X all the time and hardly touching the PS5. Between gamepass and rewards points, I'm swimming in Xbox games new and old without dropping any more cash.

Gamepass is doubly disruptive to other platforms because it turns frequent game buyers into waiters and turns people who never bought or talked about anything but cod/gta/sports into people who talk online about smaller games more often and less about whatever huge marketing push the big games are trying to make on rival consoles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Real hurthling! posted:

Gamepass is doubly disruptive to other platforms because it turns frequent game buyers into waiters and turns people who never bought or talked about anything but cod/gta/sports into people who talk online about smaller games more often and less about whatever huge marketing push the big games are trying to make on rival consoles.

I'm a born and raised deal hunter and hardly ever buy games on launch, so gamepass actually has me playing WAY MORE games on release.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
There are some great games you can only play on PC or XBox, and gamepass makes most of them “free”. The series S is so cheap that with gamepass it’s just an incredible value. I’ve played easily a thousand bucks worth of games on XBox, and the only game I’ve actually bought was FH5, and even that is on gamepass, I just wanted to play it a week early because I’m insane. If you don’t have a PC, an XBox is definitely worth having these days, and maybe even if you do have one, just for the convenience and the “it just works” factor. Quick resume or whatever it’s called is almost magic.

I’ve had every console for 4 generations now, and this is the first it feels like basically everyone should get an XBox, it’s just great.

If you’re playing on a 4K screen, you should really consider the SX though, and be aware that just a couple AAA games will fill up the drive on a SS. If you don’t care about 4K and don’t mind reinstalling stuff, series S is a great choice.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

A little shameful but I've had the series x and gamepass for a while but I haven't done anything with rewards. Does somebody mind explaining the rewards points thing? I see there's an app on the xbox and I get points for doing stuff with gamepass, using the app, playing games, etc. but there's also a website that's got different stuff? Is it best to auto redeem for the $10 gift card over and over again or is it better to wait for the $50?

elf help book posted:

I'm a born and raised deal hunter and hardly ever buy games on launch, so gamepass actually has me playing WAY MORE games on release.

Exact same here. I'm playing more and a wider variety of games just because there's no up front investment. I'm basically gamepass and switch exclusives only right now.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Thunder Bear posted:

If you do this (and it's absolutely worth it), do the converting Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass trick to prepay a year or two on the cheap. I'm in a similar boat in that I primarily play on PS5 and it's a lot easier to justify the game pass expense when it's $5 a month rather than $15.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Thunder Bear posted:

I have the trifecta and I use my Series S more than the PS5 or Switch. This is my first Xbox and having the ability to buy and play games as far back as the Xbox generation from the store is a great feature. My wife loves Portal 2 and I was able to just pay 20 bucks so we could play it on the TV instead of futzing around with Steam Link is super nice.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ReWinter posted:

If you do this (and it's absolutely worth it), do the converting Xbox Live Gold to Game Pass trick to prepay a year or two on the cheap. I'm in a similar boat in that I primarily play on PS5 and it's a lot easier to justify the game pass expense when it's $5 a month rather than $15.
that plus the vpn trick drives it down even further

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Sleng Teng posted:

A little shameful but I've had the series x and gamepass for a while but I haven't done anything with rewards. Does somebody mind explaining the rewards points thing? I see there's an app on the xbox and I get points for doing stuff with gamepass, using the app, playing games, etc. but there's also a website that's got different stuff? Is it best to auto redeem for the $10 gift card over and over again or is it better to wait for the $50?

On the console: play the games they tell you to and do the quests to get points. TrueAchievements has guides for all the quests, but not all the quests are worth the time. I'll do some of them accidentally, but I haven't *tried* to do them in a while since there are good games to play instead.

On the web: use Bing and Bing Mobile (or a browser add-on) to do web searches and click on stuff they want you to look at today. With the add-on it takes about 5 minutes a day to get 700ish points, so I do them.

Redeeming: I turn the points into MS store cards. Those expire after 90 days, so you want to wait until there's something you want to buy before redeeming them. I've also turned the points into amazon credit, but it's been a few years so I dunno if there's weird rules there or not. Apparently you can also turn the points into gamepass, but I maxed my gamepass sub so I haven't bothered yet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Sleng Teng posted:

Exact same here. I'm playing more and a wider variety of games just because there's no up front investment. I'm basically gamepass and switch exclusives only right now.

I think the website is just Bing. You get rewards points for Bing searches in browser, Bing searches using Edge, and Bing searches using mobile. Every day there is also a quiz and "check out this topic" things worth points. All of that is usually good for 350 points a day.

There is also a rewards app you can put on your phone and Xbox, if you earn an achievement a day you get 50 points, if you log into the mobile app you get 10, play a Game Pass game you get 10, and there are random tiles in the app you can get some more points.

There are also Game Pass quests weekly and monthly, things like "Steal 3 cars in GTA" that are usually fairly low effort for a quick couple hundred points. A lot of these you can pop into a cloud gaming session and knock these out instead of installing the games.

It rewards streaks and "sets", and rewards if you do a bunch of the daily/weekly stuff in a month you'll get bonus points.

SO, you can engage with as much or as little as you want. I have fun with it and every two months I earn three months of Game Pass so I've just been extending my sub into eternity.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
February Games With Gold aren't up my alley. Maybe they're up yours?

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse ($24.99 ERP): Available February 1 to 28
Aerial_Knight’s Never Yield ($11.99 ERP): Available February 16 to March 15
Hydrophobia ($8.99 ERP): Available February 1 to 15
Band of Bugs ($9.99 ERP): Available February 16 to 28

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oooh always wanted to try Hydrophobia. Broken Sword might be good

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Deliberately not buying Band of Bugs for 15 years finally pays off.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oooh always wanted to try Hydrophobia. Broken Sword might be good

Really? Hydophobia :psyduck: I would make a comment about saving your money, but, well, Games with Gold. Perhaps save your *time* though. Trust me on this. It isn't worth it. Except, perhaps, as an example of a tech demo that utterly, utterly failed as a game. Yes I'm bitter! I played it back in the day, and has been haunting my library ever since it hit back-compat.

Edit: I will definitely try out Broken Sword 5 though; I was a big fan of the first three, back in the day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love janky old 360 games, I’ll be all over it

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love janky old 360 games, I’ll be all over it

In that case, you're in for a hell of a ride :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I bought my X from the scalper for $550 and so far mostly played Xbox 360 games, about half my 360 library is backwards compatible, yay.

Saw the Halo edition of the X go on the local not-ebay for $900 :laffo:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

as someone who beat hydrophobia: do not play hydrophobia

apparently they completely overhauled the game like 6 months later but I doubt they could make the game good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Drum game controls are slightly awkward. Wish I could just make it so left dpad is red and B is blue. That feels the most natural for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

Drum game controls are slightly awkward. Wish I could just make it so left dpad is red and B is blue. That feels the most natural for me.

it takes getting used to but inner/outer buttons for don/kat are the best way to do it if you at all want to play harder songs. even on like, the third difficulty setting, a really common pattern like a rapid DDK or DDKKD can become miserable without alternating hands at anything more than slow speed

if there's a "before you play" for taiko it's to practice alternating hands as soon as you start because otherwise you learn bad habits that can take forever to break

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 27, 2022

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

ReWinter posted:

I looked this up and this is a good tip, thank you!

You guys are great, I feel like I'm all set. Out of curiosity, are there any worthwhile Xbox games that aren't on Game Pass but also not on PS5 or Switch? I feel like true exclusives aren't a forte of the Xbox but it doesn't hurt to be thorough.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Thunder Bear posted:

I looked this up and this is a good tip, thank you!

You guys are great, I feel like I'm all set. Out of curiosity, are there any worthwhile Xbox games that aren't on Game Pass but also not on PS5 or Switch? I feel like true exclusives aren't a forte of the Xbox but it doesn't hurt to be thorough.

Honestly a lot of the backwards compatible 360 games are the best exclusives between any of those consoles. Your mileage will also vary on Rare Replay, but it has ancient but delightful Blast Corps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rare Replay is in Game Pass innit?

Like the list of true exclusives on the One that aren't on Game Pass is like "titles that require Kinect", Lococycle, and Crimson Dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Hell yeah Broken Sword!